Damage Calculator Planning; What do the people want?

Can you explain then why Metalkid's takes about a minute? I don't know a lot about computers, but if his takes a while what makes you think mine won't?
Probably because the actual program is stored on a remote server (I think). The data has to be sent from your computer, through the internet, processed by the program, and sent back. The entire page also has to be refreshed to show the new data, so that takes time too. On top of that, there is probably several people using the calculator at the same time.

If you download the offline version of MKPPv4, the damage calculator on that is almost instantaneous.

Probably because the actual program is stored on a remote server (I think). The data has to be sent from your computer, through the internet, processed by the program, and sent back. The entire page also has to be refreshed to show the new data, so that takes time too. On top of that, there is probably several people using the calculator at the same time.

If you download the offline version of MKPPv4, the damage calculator on that is almost instantaneous.
You seem to know a lot about this. Maybe you can help create it. If you have time that is...

One feature I'd like to see is the ability to select two Pokemon and a move and have it automatically tell you how many EVs you'll need to guarantee against a certain Pokemon. Could even set it up so that it gives you the amount for 0/0, 255/255, 255/0 etc. EV's automatically as well as allowing you to input a common spread or two you are worried about.

I've never maximized the potential of my team's EVs because I'm too lazy to do something like this for a large number of Poke's I'm specifically worried about.

If you read I am not the one doing this, so I cannot answer that question. And if you can't add 12.5 then I don't think you should be using a Damage Calc in the first place.
If your friend can't add 12.5%, he shouldn't be programming in the first place.

You seem to know a lot about this. Maybe you can help create it. If you have time that is...
I probably don't know anything about the language your friend plans on using - I only know Visual Basic at the moment - but I could probably work out some of the math and write some pseudo-code that your friend could use to construct the program.

Time is the one thing I have too much of.

If your friend can't add 12.5%, he shouldn't be programming in the first place.
If you can't shut your mouth, maybe you should just leave the thread. :heart:
I probably don't know anything about the language your friend plans on using - I only know Visual Basic at the moment - but I could probably work out some of the math and write some pseudo-code that your friend could use to construct the program.

Time is the one thing I have too much of.
I think one thing that would be helpful is a database of all the Pokémon's stats. Once again, I have no programming experience, but it seems like that would be the most time consuming thing.

I think one thing that would be helpful is a database of all the Pokémon's stats. Once again, I have no programming experience, but it seems like that would be the most time consuming thing.
Why bother making something new when you can take advantage of someone else's work?

http://www.mediafire.com/?dmb1llx1vzj

That's the database Metalkid uses for his offline IV Calculator at the moment. It's incomplete in some regards, but for a damage calculator is seems like it has everything you should need.

I hope your friend can work with an Access database, because that is what this is.

There should be an EV Spread Builder of some kind where you put in the Pokemon and nature and then you put a common EV Spread, for example, Typhlosion: 252 SpA / 252 Spd / 6 Atk (planning to make a Mixed Sweeper) and then when you lower or add EVs it shows the max it can have with it's nature and EVs (in this case you should also put IV Boxes). Then while your doing that, at the bottom it shows the percentage it would do to common OU Pokemon or another tier's (in this case but a Tier Box that lets you pick which tier your gonna compete in), Walls and Attackers (Sweepers).

When it shows the Percentage it should also show the rate of a OHKO, 2HKO, 3HKO, etc.

This will work wonders for those trying to make their own spreads, but we should also add Moveset Boxes where you put in the moves and get the Damage Percentages for those too! You will also get the rate of OHKO etc.

I'm just saying, you shouldn't be shooting down features if you don't know anything about what your friend can do.

Every feature suggested so far is fairly trivial to implement, I'd even be willing to help with this if you ever bother to ask your friend what language he's writing it in (since you say he works for EA, I'd imagine it's either C++ or C#).

I'm just saying, you shouldn't be shooting down features if you don't know anything about what your friend can do.

Every feature suggested so far is fairly trivial to implement, I'd even be willing to help with this if you ever bother to ask your friend what language he's writing it in (since you say he works for EA, I'd imagine it's either C++ or C#).
Well you weren't just saying that. You said if he can't program in Stealth Rock damage across 493 Pokémon he shouldn't be programming. My point earlier is that I didn't want this calc to be slow, but Jiggy pointed out that it will still run quickly, so that has been established. If you read my posts, I know nothing about programming. Don't lash out at my friend because of my lack of information on the subject. Hell, he's the one taking time out of his life to help us out with this, so the least you should do is show some respect.

Well you weren't just saying that. You said if he can't program in Stealth Rock damage across 493 Pokémon he shouldn't be programming. My point earlier is that I didn't want this calc to be slow, but Jiggy pointed out that it will still run quickly, so that has been established. If you read my posts, I know nothing about programming. Don't lash out at my friend because of my lack of information on the subject. Hell, he's the one taking time out of his life to help us out with this, so the least you should do is show some respect.
You wouldn't have to separately list the Stealth Rock damage for each Pokemon since because Typing is going to be in this, you can use the type effectiveness functions to find out how much it does.

Metalkid's already got the basis of a good damage calculator in MKPPv4, and since it is an open source program anyway I doubt he would have objections to using it as the basis for a new one or improving it.

You wouldn't have to separately list the Stealth Rock damage for each Pokemon since because Typing is going to be in this, you can use the type effectiveness functions to find out how much it does.
Yea, I figured as much but for the last time, I have no programming knowledge. I made a program that when you press the button it changes color, but that is about it. XDDDD
Metalkid's already got the basis of a good damage calculator in MKPPv4, and since it is an open source program anyway I doubt he would have objections to using it as the basis for a new one or improving it.
I think what we will try to use are his databases for stats, items (only ones with effects on the battle), and moves. The format will of course be different, but we'll see how it turns out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)