D/P Gengar

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/gengar

Pretty minor edit, just doing a little work on the Scarf set.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Hidden Power Ice
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Thunderbolt
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Modest / Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Odd though it may seem to use Choice Scarf on something as fast as Gengar, this set has some very alluring advantages. Gengar's varied movepool lets him act as an effective revenge killer against some of the biggest threats in D/P; Tyranitar, Azelf, Salamence, Garchomp, and Gyarados (including bulky varieties) will all fall in one hit to their corresponding moves without significant defensive investment. Scarf Gengar is by no means a counter to such Pokemon, but it can easily save you the match should you make an error and let your Gyarados counter be KO'd by Pursuit.</p>

<p>If your team already has sufficient coverage against one of the aforementioned threats, feel free to swap an attack out for Hypnosis or Destiny Bond, which give Gengar the capacity to stop most other opponents in their tracks. Explosion (preferably used with a Mild or Hasty nature) allows you to revenge kill a large number of Pokemon with one move as well, but don't expect to beat Blissey without a significant amount of investment in Attack or some previous damage. Timid nature might seem like true overkill, but it does let you get the jump on other Scarf Gengars or anything sitting just above. Since most Pokemon near that Speed level will be fragile enough to be defeated in one hit, possessing a Speed advantage can frequently net you a surprise KO. You maintain all the aforementioned OHKOs as well (with the exception of Garchomp, who has less than a 20% chance to survive Hidden Power Ice), so Timid is definitely worth consideration. </p>

but it can easily save you the match should you make an error and let your Gyarados counter be hit with Pursuit.
This seems wierd. Reword it so it's just like if the counter faints, not specifically by a Pursuit. It seems strange and confusing as it is.

The rest looks good, though.

Not really. Focus Blast would take out Weavile / T-Tar, and Blissey isn't 2HKO'd by a Gengar FP without max Attack, or Belt / Orb.

I really don't think Timid should be an option. Why on earth would you want Timid? I wouldn't even say max Speed, enough for 304 IMO. If mild/rash the spare could go to attack.

It needs 192 Speed EVs (304 Speed) with neutral Speed for Adamant Scarf Garchomp. For Jolly Scarf Garchomp, just go +Speed (you can't do it without), which also has the advantage of beating Modest Scarfgar.

Agreeing with Destiny Bond mention, it will take down anything without fail, as Gar outspeeds almost everything with Scarf.

Destiny Bond makes sense. I'm not as sure about Explosion, though, as the main thing you'd be using it on (Bliss) requires heavy investment to make it worthwhile, but I suppose it's worth mentioning for revenge-killing other stuff.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
If you're going to run just enough Speed to outrun Adamant Garchomp, you might as well add in the 12 extra EVs to get to 307, to beat the random Choice Scarf +Speed Lucario/Porygon-Z/Roserade.

Destiny Bond makes sense. I'm not as sure about Explosion, though, as the main thing you'd be using it on (Bliss) requires heavy investment to make it worthwhile, but I suppose it's worth mentioning for revenge-killing other stuff.
It's not really for Bliss as such (though would finish it off well, prob'ly ~70%), it's just a very threatening attack if you're dying anyway.

edit: 70.31% - 82.63% on max/max Bliss, that's pretty kickass. 64 Attack EVs (spare w/ 252 sp. a, 192 Speed) and 30 HP / Defense if using HP Ice.
Besides that it still outruns a BulkyGyara who has had two speed boosts.
Modest does that anyway, anything with 298 speed + @ scarf does that.

Timid is worth considering for a few reasons - other ScarfGars, other Scarf users aiming to outspeed ScarfGar (Azelf, Jolly Chomp, etc), and some DD/Agility users.

In the EV section, I'll add a note about outspeeding +nature Scarf 90 Pokemon, since they show up every so often and they're only a few points faster than Adamant Chomp anyways.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
this post is for jrrrrrrr's and Aldaron's purposes...

thread can be deleted but can we get mention of Hypnosis on that Scarf set?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)