D/P Camerupt edit

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/camerupt

The main problem with the current Camerupt analysis is that it's completely OU-centric. Camerupt is a UU pokemon and moreover is (nearly) completely outclassed in OU by Heatran, so it's analysis should focus in the environment where it is best suited. I also added in Specs and Rock Polish sets, and merged the physical and special rest-talkers into one set.

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Lava Plume / Flamethrower
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Stealth Rock
move 4: Yawn / Explosion / Toxic
item: Leftovers
ability: Solid Rock
nature: Modest
evs: 228 HP / 72 SpA / 208 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Camerupt's attempt to support the team. With only STAB moves, fliers that resist Fire such as Mantine and Altaria are free to switch in, so set up Stealth Rock to punish them. The choice of Fire STAB is between power (Flamethrower) and Burn rate (Lava Plume). The final slot is to give Camerupt some additional status inducing ability. Yawn can help to cause switches to rack up Stealth Rock damage or Sleep a counter, and Toxic punishes any bulky Pokemon switching in (as an added bonus, Ground hits Super Effective against both types that are immune to Toxic). Alternatively, just blow up Camerupt when you feel his job is done.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Overheat
move 4: Explosion
item: Choice Band
nature: Brave
evs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A very slow, but very powerful Choice Bander. Earthquake is obvious for STAB, with Stone Edge to cover Flying types, especially those that resist both your STAB moves. Camerupt lacks a physical Fire attack, so Overheat is your best bet for secondary STAB and hits very hard even without a boost. Explosion destroys anything that isn't resistant or immune.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Earth Power
move 2: Flamethrower / Fire Blast / Overheat
move 3: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
item: Choice Specs
nature: Quiet
evs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Another dangerous set against which there are few safe switch-ins. Earth Power and a Fire move are obvious choices, but deciding on a Hidden Power is tricky. Ice ruins Altaria but otherwise has limited use; Grass takes down Quagsire and Gastrodon as well as dealing a hefty amount to Solrock, Lunatone, and most other Water types. Explosion is great as a finishing move. If you wish to use Camerupt in a Trick Room team, Eruption can be placed in the Fire slot.</p>

[SET]
name: Rock Polish
move 1: Rock Polish
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Earth Power
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
nature: Mild
evs: 8 Atk / 252 SpA / 248 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Camerupt is slow, but 40 Speed isn't completely unusable. After one Polish the above EV spread gives you just enough speed to outpace Jolly Purugly, and you're free to sweep. Explosion is good for a last gasp, but an Ice or Grass type Hidden Power is worth consideration, as both allow you to OHKO the 4x weak Pokemon that would otherwise wall you.</p>

[SET]
name: Sleep Talk, Physical
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Earthquake
nature: Adamant
evs: 228 HP / 96 Atk / 184 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Its immunity to both Thunder Wave and Will-O-Wisp already made Camerupt a good status absorber, but with this set it can absorb Sleep, too. Stone Edge and Earthquake provide good coverage if you wish go the physical route. Life Orb gives some extra power, but Leftovers is usually the preferred item for a Pokémon you want to stick around for a while. This set makes a great switch into most versions of Ninetales.</p>

[SET]
name: Sleep Talk, Special
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 3: Lava Plume
move 4: Earth Power
evs: 228 HP / 96 SpA / 184 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Like the above, except special. Lava Plume helps to grab some Burn support with a nice 30% chance per hit, making Camerupt a further asset. Earth Power covers guys like Heatran and Tyranitar, should you use this in OU, or any of the various Fire and Rock types in UU.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Roar is a solid option over Yawn on the first set. Sunny Day and Solarbeam are available to allow him to contend with Water types, but his sluggishness prevents him using them to great effect. Will-O-Wisp is always a good status option.</p>

[EVs]

<p>For the Support set, you'll want to focus on HP first. 228 EVs allows for maximum Leftovers recovery. Modest nature, with a little investment in Special Attack and the rest in Special Defense. If by some chance you're using Camerupt in OU, a neutral nature and 96 EVs in Attack allow you to OHKO Blissey with Explosion.</p>

<p>For the Choice Bander, go with a Brave nature and maxed out Attack and Special Attack. Same spread for Choice Specs, but with a Quiet nature instead of Brave. If you're using either set in Trick Room, make sure to set your speed IV to zero.</p>

<p>For Rock Polish, 248 is the highest amount of EVs that allows you to outspeed a specific threat, though only one Pokemon (Purugly) rests at 112 speed. You can to drop it to 240 for base 110 Pokemon (Froslass and Jumpluff), or even 216 for base 105 (Rapidash, Scyther, Electabuzz, Manectric, and Lopunny) if you wish to invest more in Attack. If you're willing to take a drop in power, a speed boosting nature and 236 EVs allow you to beat Jolly Swellow.</p>

<p>Sleep Talk should follow the same spread as the support set. If you're using special attacks, switch to a Modest nature and move the Attack EVs to Special Attack.</p>

[Opinion]
<p>The ability to inflict burns with Lava Plume is a welcome new addition to Camerupt's movepool, as is Earth Power which enables him to use both STABs without the need to split offensive EVs. Solid Rock is a very cool ability and goes some way towards helping Camerupt survive a turn or two longer. Camerupt does fill a few unique niches, such as possessing immunity to both Thunder Wave and Will-O-Wisp and immunity to Electric combined with neutrality to the two Hidden Power types it's most often seen with, but is frequently outclassed by Heatran in OU, who has a greater number of resistances and generally superior stats. In UU Camerupt is far better, and makes a versatile attacker that's difficult to counter thanks to good type coverage and strong attacks on both sides of the spectrum.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Water types generally work well. Mantine is best since it resists both STABs and has massive Special Defense (though sets with Stone Edge should be avoided), but most other UU Water types like Blastoise, Gastrodon, and Quagsire do decently, though they can be worn out after too many Ground attacks.</p>

<p>Altaria is another very good counter, with resistance to both STAB attacks, Natural Cure to remove any status Camerupt may be throwing around, and Earthquake to hit Camerupt hard. Solrock and Lunatone resist both STAB attacks, but the former has poor special defense while the latter often lacks an attack to really threaten Camerupt. Grumpig's Thick Fat and abundant Special Defense let it take Camerupt with ease.</p>

<p>In OU play, Blissey walls any purely special set with ease, though Explosion should be avoided. Cresselia walls Camerupt almost as well as Blissey and can take an Explosion without fainting instantly. Gyarados and Salamence fear status and Stone Edge but otherwise make fairly safe switches. Milotic walls most sets easily and doesn't mind Burns nearly as much thanks to Marvel Scale, and most other bulky Water Pokemon like Suicune and Swampert do the job as well.</p>

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To be honest, a lot of the Analyses are like this. The majority of UU Pokémon were treated as OU in their Analyses IIRC, chaos wanted them all sorted and I'm sure there was a topic somewhere. chaos then said once a Pokémon had been moved to OU instead of UU, like Tentacruel, an OU section of counters should be added as well.

Something like that anyway, I'm sure there are many more Analyses like this, so if the thread I remember wasn't completely about changing what Tier a Pokémon is aimed at, maybe we should have one and find all the analyses where this happens?

Leave the Rest/Sleep Talk sets split up into Physical and Special. It looks cleaner.

[SET]
move 1: Flamethrower / Lava Plume
move 4: Yawn / Toxic / Explosion

Three STAB moves looks messy. Toxic is much better than WoW, as most of Camerupt's counters are special based and really hate being poisoned.

Leave the Rest/Sleep Talk sets split up into Physical and Special. It looks cleaner.

[SET]
move 1: Flamethrower / Lava Plume
move 4: Yawn / Toxic / Explosion

Three STAB moves looks messy. Toxic is much better than WoW, as most of Camerupt's counters are special based and really hate being poisoned.
Alright, done.

As for the it/he thing, is there one direction that we're supposed to take it? I can pretty easily change it all one way or another, I'm just not sure if that'd be right.

Regarding tiers, I pretty strongly believe that Camerupt is a much stronger candidate for UU play than OU, but I can add a few OU counters pretty easily.

The Counters section looks fine. With things like Camerupt that are somewhat viable in OU, its ok to list a few OU counters. The few times I used Camerupt in OU I was always thinking "I should be using Heatran instead", but I guess some people might really want to use him in OU.

181 Speed (196 EVs), Timid on the Rock Polish set outruns Persian. Mention that in the EV section. 309 Special Attack plus Life Orb is still quite potent. HP Grass and Ice (over Explosion) deserve a mention in set comments.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
As for the it/he thing, is there one direction that we're supposed to take it? I can pretty easily change it all one way or another, I'm just not sure if that'd be right.
That is at your discretion if you're the one writing the analysis.

Considering it's so well known for it, a Trick Room set would be really good here IMO. Eruption or Flamethrower / Earth Power / Hidden Power Ice or Grass or Electric / Explosion, Leftovers or Life Orb depending in your Fire attack.

Being a little TR Whore, I would advocate on what Anti has said, however I would use Wise Glasses if you are planning to use Eruption.

Heck I use this over heatran in OU anyday :P

A Trick Room set is basically Choice Specs, but with a different item and a 0 Speed IV. Mentioning the use of a low Speed IV in the EV section should be sufficient.

Personally I think you should make mention if you plan to use it in OU, you really should only give it 96 Atk EV's just to kill blissey, any more is redundant and would be better used on HP

181 Speed (196 EVs), Timid on the Rock Polish set outruns Persian. Mention that in the EV section. 309 Special Attack plus Life Orb is still quite potent. HP Grass and Ice (over Explosion) deserve a mention in set comments.
If you're going that far it'd probably be better to just outspeed Jolly Swellow as well, since he's almost certainly capable of OHKOing Camerupt with boosted Facade or BB. I made the other changes, though.

Change item to Choice Specs.
Fixed, thanks.

That is at your discretion if you're the one writing the analysis.
Alright, I'll just change it to gender-neutral.

As Phuquoph said, Trick Room probably isn't worthy of being a set in and of itself even if it is one of Camerupt's best options since it's not capable of generating the room itself.

Also, there's already a note about OHKOing Blissey with 96 attack EV's in the first part of the EV's section.

I think you should include a mixed set, something like Earthquake/Flamethrower/Explosion/HP Grass @ Life Orb. And I think you should make a specific Trick Room set, with a Quiet or Brave nature and 0 speed IV, emphasizing Eruption and Explosion specifically.

Cached.

Only changes I made were "fliers" to "Flying types" in the first set, and dropped Flamethrower from the Specs set.

Both those make sense (I was thinking about Pressure and PP stalling when keeping Flamethrower on there, but the only UU pokemon with Pressure are Vespiquen and Absol so that's not a problem). I actually hadn't finished editing out the instances of he and his (as well as doing a minor fix in the EV's section), so I went ahead and did that on the scms.

As far as mixed sets go, I haven't tried a true mixed set myself (though the set you suggested is basically the specs set with Quake over Earth Power and LO), though I suppose it could work. I still don't think a Trick Room specific set is necessary though since the Specs version is nearly the same thing. If anything, LO could be added as an option on the Specs set and the name changed to Special Attacker.

I tried a mixed set with Life Orb and it really isn't worth it. Everything that switches into Camerupt is faster than him (besides Quagsire), so you don't get to take advantage of ability to switch attacks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)