Cryogonal

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Notice that we are here to discuss movesets of this pokémon, not what tier it should be.

Furiijo #615
Type: Ice
Egg Group: Mineral
Gender Ratio: Genderless
Stats: 70 HP/50 Atk/30 Def/95 Sp. Atk/135 Sp. Def/105 Spe
Ability: Levitate (Take no damage from Ground-type moves, as well Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Cannot be trapped by Arena Trap)

Moves:
Lv.- Bind
Lv.5 Ice Shard
Lv.9 Sharpen
Lv.13 Rapid Spin
Lv.17 Icy Wind
Lv.21 Mist
Lv.21 Haze
Lv.25 Aurora Beam
Lv.29 Acid Armor
Lv.33 Ice Beam
Lv.37 Light Screen
Lv.37 Reflect
Lv.41 Slash
Lv.45 Confuse Ray
Lv.49 Recover
Lv.53 SolarBeam
Lv.57 Night Slash
Lv.61 Sheer Cold

TMs:
New ones in Italic:
TM06 Toxic
TM07 Hail
TM10 Hidden Power
TM13 Ice Beam
TM14 Blizzard
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM22 SolarBeam
TM27 Return
TM32 Double Team
TM33 Reflect
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Troll
TM62 Acrobat
TM64 Explosion
TM79 Ice Breath
TM84 Poison Jab
TM87 Swagger
TM90 Substitute
TM91 Flash Cannon

Breeding
Curiousity killed the cat. He is genderless so he cannot breed.

Overview:

If you look first to his movepool and sprite than to his stats, you will think that's a slow and physically bulky with low special defense physical attacker, but he is the opposite: Fast special attacker with a great special defense, but almost no physical defense. This angry snow flake can hit quite hard hith his 95 base Sp. Atk, but with only Ice Beam, Hidden Power and Flash Cannon as viable special moves he is easilly walled by a lot of pokémon. He learns Explosion, Night Slash, Poison Jab and Ice Shard on the physical side, as well Sharpen, but with 50 base ATK, he isn't going to deal a lot of damage.
On the supportive side, he gets Rapid Spin and although he is weak to SR, he is immune to both kinds of Spikes because of Levitate. He also gets Dual Screens to work alongside Explosion. He gets Recover too to work with his 135 base Sp. Def, but with base 70 HP and 30 Def leave it to be desired. Other options include Confuse Ray, Haze, Mist, Icy Wind and Toxic, but there are better pokémon to use it.
In short, Furiijo will may offer competition to Torkoal as a Spinner and a lot more as a sweeper and wall. He is cool at least

Possible movesets that I can remember now:

Ice glasses

Furiija@ Choice Specs
EVs.:252 Spa/ 4 Sp.def/ 252 Spe
Timid nature

~ Ice Beam
~ HP Electric/HP Fighting
~ Flash Cannon
~ Explosion/Blizzard

This is all about Furiijo can do in attacking. Ice Beam is obvious STAB, and will hurt from 95 Sp. ATK. HP Electric complements Ice beam very well, making the mighty BoltBeam combo, however, HP Fighting can do more against Magnezone, Heatran and Doryuuzu. Flash Cannon is the only special thing he gets aside his others STAB moves, Hyper Beam, Troll and SolarBeam. The last move is a filler: Explosion is mainly for Blissey, as other things won't be scratched by it,but you can use Blizzard if you feel lucky.

Supporting mirror and special wall that can't handle fire

@Leftovers
Evs.:252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Sp. Def
Calm Nature

~ Rapid Spin
~ Toxic/ Confuse Ray
~ Ice Beam/ Icy Wind
~ Haze/ Recover/ Explosion

This is the supporting variation of Furiija, and is quite useful if all the physical attackers are gone. Rapid Spin is listed here because his Ability, Levitate, prevents Spikes and T-Spikes, which can be useful in switching (He's still weak to SR, so be careful switching like a freak). Toxic car wear down a foe slowly, while Confuse Ray can give you some free turns. Ice Beam or Icy Wind is mainly for Taunt users. Pick the former if you want power or the latter if you want to slow yor opponent. The last slot is the rest it has. Haze is Haze. Roar is better, but he doesn't get it, only Haze. Recover is for a longer support (good luck with 30 Def), and Explosion is a '' I did everything and now I'm useless'' move. You can drop your STAB to put one of the three later.

The Screening Screamer and Sad Snow... Sflake

@Light Clay
EVs.:252 Def/ 4 Sp.Def/ 252 Spe
Timid Nature

~ Reflect
~ Light Screen
~ Explosion
~ Icy Wind

Aside a gimmicky Sharpen set, this is the last thing I can think. Dual Screens are good and yet some pokémon can do better, there isn't any other moveset for it. Explosion when you did your jod and doesn't have anything to do. And Icy Wind, to lower the foe's Spe, prpairing the terrain to other slow pokémon sweep, like Doryuuzu, Honchkrow or Farfetch'd.

Fell free to discuss and, admins, to close if there's something wrong.:toast:

I don't expect Furiijo to have very widespread use due to his paper-thin defense stat... however, its special defense is quite nice, so I can imagine seeing it running Substitute with three attacking moves - maybe with a Life Orb or Wise Glasses? It should find opportunities to switch in on a special attacker or a choice-locked EQ, and set up a sub and then fire off attacks with its decent special attack stat from there... I imagine that compared to other special attackers (If it tries to become a special attacker of some sort) that it will be outclassed if it is not holding an attack-boosting item.

Another spinner weak to SR. Shame, it has some competition with Cloyster though.

This sounds like a good support set:

Furiijio @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Calm
252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
~ Rapid Spin
~ Recover
~ Ice Breath
~ Explosion / Toxic

The big problem with him is that even with a 252 Def + Supportive Defense Nature, he will still get OHKO'd by most standard Sczior Bullet Bunch sets.

I tihnk this is a good set:

Bold - Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpA
Ice Beam
Acid Armor
Recover
Toxic

Thanks to its high speed it can usually get an Acid Armor off to pump up its defense to a respectable level. Then, it stalls out with toxic and recover, or take out flying, dragon, ground, and grass types with ice beam.

What the hell was gamefreak on when they made this guy's stats? I don't think i've ever seen such a random stat spread. I think this thing is basically completely outclassed by Regice. I suppose Recover + Rapid Spin + Levitate is pretty cool, but in the end I don't think that's worth the 70 points of Defense that Regice has over it. Seriously, if you need a spinner you should probably use one that isn't weak to SR :/

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Mmh doesnt look that bad stat wise, but pure ice typing and lackluster offensive movepool doesnt make him look good basically the defensive version of the cone guy.

Cloyster outclasses it at spinning i fear since its overall bulkier and got that now 125 bp ice spear in his repertoire.

He could try a rapid spin, dual screen, explode support set to help a sweeper to set up but thats really all that i see for this guy, at least for ou he may can pull of some cool tricks in uu but i am not that familiar with uu that i could tell what.

yikes 30 def is extrmely scary when you're pure ice. Why can't GF learn that making a defensive ice type just isn't good. It's time we get a fast ice type sweeper. Furijio has good speed and decent sp.atk but once again that terribad defense makes him extrme Scizor and priority in general bait. Nice design though imo.

Wow. Even Weavile laughs at this fool's defense. Not sure if this guy is viable at all. Attacking sets won't hurt enough, and Defensive sets aren't bulky enough. Since he has to invest so much in his Def, he can't take Choiced Special attacks that well. I don't even see him making it out of NU. He may not even do well in NU. This guy had potential but gamefreak screwed him.

I think a Dual Screen Explosion set would work best, or a Choice Scarf set for revenging Dragons. Gamefreak doesn't even hand out 30 Base defense to Offensively oriented pokemon, but they decided to rape this guy with it. lol

Well, he's designed to be a special wall.

To me, he just looks like an inferior regice, but with rapid spin and recover

Well, he's designed to be a special wall.

To me, he just looks like an inferior regice, but with rapid spin and recover
He is Ice...And a couple of SR users are weak to that.Others not so much.

But Regice got a huge improvement and a way to heal so recover isn't that big of a deal.

Although I'm probably going to use him on my IN game team

competitively he's going to have a lot of problems.

Two of his weaknesses happen to have physical priority moves (Mach Punch, and Bullet Punch) respectively and to add on to that fire has gotten a boost this gen so he's going to have a lot of trouble. Also any other priority moves (Extremespeed, quick attack, etc) aren't going to be easy to shrug off with paper thing defenses.

This guy is really getting underestimated.

He has the highest Special Defense in the entire Isshu pokedex.

Also his HP is subpar, Evs easily fix the problem.

The physical side of his defense doesn't fare well, but Acid Armor helps a lot. Can't believe the opening post didn't bold it as a useful move. Levitate is also one of the more useful abilities on a Rapid Spinner (although Ice typing doesn't do too good. At least it doesn't have), as the Toxic/Spikes can't hurt it. It is normally fast enough to get an acid armor up against physical non-priority attackers. But it is still best to switch in on something like Suicune or Starmie, which don't score super effective moves on you and are specially based. Ice and Steel (Flash Cannon) provide horrible coverage, but thankfully he's a special attacker, which means Hidden Power can be put to use. I'll cover then HP type later. By the way, Ice Breath is horrible. Not only it does both less damage (not sure, but probably) and less accuracy, it can't do anything to pokemon who have battle armor. I checked, and no pokemon who learn Ice Breath have Sniper :(. Anyways, time to figure out the best HP on a sweeping set.

Main problems: Fire, Water, Steel
Sub problems: Electric, Thick Fat

The best options: Electric, Fighting, or Ground.
Ground covers two types, when paired with flying Ice takes them down. Levitating pokemon may be troublesome, but some levitaters come to mind that resist Ice, Steel, and Ground. No pokemon learning Thick Fat resist Ground.

Pokemon who resist Ice, Steel, and Ground:

Levitate Bronzong
Rotom-W
Rotom-H

That's it.

If you choose fighting, these pokes resist it are:

Starmie
Qwilfish
Victini
Shanderra
Burunkeru
Urugamosu

If you choose electric, the pokes that resist it are:

Almost every electric type

EDIT: No I got Ice and Flying mixed up... you probably wouldn't want this anyways as Ground is almost a superior choice in all ways.

I don't think you'll choose this anyways.

So there you go.

I believe Furiijio is a Starmie like pokemon - posses offensive capabilities while still being able to Rapid Spin. Pure Ice is a real bummer, which will probably leave this pokemon in UU or lower.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I tihnk this is a good set:

Bold - Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpA
Ice Beam
Acid Armor
Recover
Toxic

Thanks to its high speed it can usually get an Acid Armor off to pump up its defense to a respectable level. Then, it stalls out with toxic and recover, or take out flying, dragon, ground, and grass types with ice beam.
This seems like the best set for him, Acid Armor lets him become a Decent Wall around and a Good Special Wall. With one Acid Armor, he gets 348 Defense, which is pretty decent.

Yah this thing is pretty cool.Though the typing and physical deffense is sub par....Its surprisingly fast as well for a wall'ish poke.Also can hit pretty hard but probably cant go much offensive due to the lackluster movepool.Another determening factor is rapid spin which is always useful.It also gets a really nice ability to protect from Toxic spikes which would hurt and it also has a reliable source recovery which is a problem a lot of stuff seems to have...Toxic is also always welcome.Dual screens are kind of waste as its pretty outclassed at it.Iunno this thing seems to be a major competitor in UU by the looks of things....Cmon guys dont hate its Def its a special wall..No1s hitting on Blissey's Def <__<.Biggest problem is probably the gay typing >__>....Well i suppose Ice dsn't suck in UU as much as OU....
Acid armour seems kind of odd if you ask me i never was interested in those weird Defense Curl Blissey themed stuff..

Azure Demon

This guy is uu or nu for sure stealth rock weakness+ Mach punch+ low def= roobushin's bitch

It's weakness to fire, rock, and fighting secure him an nu spot. He is nothing more than this generations regice but with worse defense, worse hp, better speed, and better spatk

Another designated NU. This crap isn't walling anything it can't 2hko in UU, and it can't 2hko much of anything without Sp. A EVs. Even without the SR weak it'd suck too much - the SR weak was just gamefreak being cruel. Ask Kurimugan, all that poor fellow needed was 3 speed points to scare Flygon in UU, or 4 to piss off Chomp.

Gamefreak: Making competitively useless pokemon since Gen V.

This thing could be a dedicated special wall if:

A: There was a pure physical defense mon that could work as a core with it.
and
B: Psycho Shock didn't exist.

Unfortunately, neither of those conditions is really met...

and
B: Psycho Shock didn't exist.

Unfortunately, neither of those conditions is really met...
I almost said 'Nattorei' and then remembered this thing's weak to Fire. Same for Skarm.

Burungeru's probably gonna hang out in OU. And Psycho Shock / Sword of Mystery end this thing.

That leaves Mamanbou, who can't lay down Spikes or really harm the other team in any meaningful way.

Every wallbreaker in the metagame carries a move that'll wreck this thing. Almost every pokemon used competitively does as well. If a Luvdisc can break it at +6 defense with Waterfall, it has no walling power.

Only things I can see as decent partners to this thing would be Deathkhan, Suicune, and Vaporeon.

Deathkhan can come in on anything running Fighting type attacks to kill Furijio, and can pack moves to take out the Rock types at least (not to mention its huge defense stat), and the other two easily tank physical attacks and resist both Fire and Rock.

There are possibilities for Furijio, but it's just so heavily outclassed that it will still never see the light of use.

The closest thing that comes into my poor mind is... Claydol.
Rapid Spin, fighting and Rock resists.

Too bad Claydol can't heal itself.

But pairing with Mamanbou (resists both Steel and Fire, while passing huge Wishes), this could be a somewhat very good core for NU or maybe UU standards IMO.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
For partner, go Starmie. Boiling Water; resistance to Fight, Fire and Steel; Rapid Spin and Reflect makes a good partner (unlikely that Furiijio will be in the same tier of Starmie, but that's only my opinion).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)