CAP 4 CAP 4 - Part 8 (Art Poll 3)

Which art should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, to be honest, Cartoons has my vote, It's quirky style seems about right in the pokemon atmosphere, and some of the weirdest Pokemon seem to have the best uses (Breloom comes to mind). Absolution's Smog Imp is too dark in my opinion. Zantimonius, your Komodo Dragon is great, but it seems more in place in Zelda or in Digimon on an odd day. and Doug, Although the Snake/Parasite looks cool, it just seems off somehow, I would say digimon on a usual day this time. Still, all four look great and I look forward to seeing how this goes.

I've voted Doug's amazing serpent, of course. Barring a miracle, it won't win, but it deserves every vote it can get, because I think it's just too good.

Also, I want to say this: Vote for whatever art you like, for whatever reason! You can vote for the prettiest art, the one you think fits better the stats, the easier to sprite, the one your friend made... Just remember there isn't any rule regarding art other than "vote whatever you like the most".

Looking at the designs I felt that Zantimonious' was too similar to a Halo/ Mass Effect hybrid and that the Smog Imp seemed more dark type than anything else. Having narrowed it down to DJD's and Cartoons, I ended up voting for Cartoons simply out of personal preference.

I cannot believe Smogimp is LOSING.

As many have said, Cartoons's one doesn't fit the stuff here. It seems like some kind of horrific experiment done on a Hitmontop, and I see nothing poisonous about it. To be honest, I'm not a fan of it at all. WAY TOO FIGHTING-LIKE.

Zantimonious's one looks cool, but looks too physical and offensive.

Doug's one looks like it COULD do the stuff we want this thing to do, but it seems very un-Ground like, there's NOTHING to suggest that type.

Most support guys seem to be on the cute side, I mean can anyone see Cartoons's guy use Wish? And as someone said a while ago, Encore fits best with Pokemon who look like they'd have childlike personalities. Smogimp's the only cute one.

Besides, we've had three cool/tough guys. I think it's about time for a cute critter.

EDIT: Smogimp came second in poll 2. Where'd all that support go?

I cannot believe Smogimp is LOSING.

As many have said, Cartoons's one doesn't fit the stuff here. It seems like some kind of horrific experiment done on a Hitmontop, and I see nothing poisonous about it. To be honest, I'm not a fan of it at all. WAY TOO FIGHTING-LIKE.

Zantimonious's one looks cool, but looks too physical and offensive.

Doug's one looks like it COULD do the stuff we want this thing to do, but it seems very un-Ground like, there's NOTHING to suggest that type.

Most support guys seem to be on the cute side, I mean can anyone see Cartoons's guy use Wish? And as someone said a while ago, Encore fits best with Pokemon who look like they'd have childlike personalities. Smogimp's the only cute one.

Besides, we've had three cool/tough guys. I think it's about time for a cute critter.

EDIT: Smogimp came second in poll 2. Where'd all that support go?

Wish could be shown as it praying, though that can be changed if it is offensive to more of a Crossing it's fingers on a couple hands. ENcore is clapping. You really can't see Cartoon's clapping?

Voted for Absolution's, and I'm so disappointed it's in last place. It's the only one I think can fit the typing, stats AND movepool without having to "stretch" for logical explanations.

As many have said before, the leading design needs a lot of stretching to learn Gravity/Tailwind/Wish/Trick Room, which was four of the six emphasized moves to begin with.
It doesn't look Poison or Ground. The physical defence stat as well as the special attack stat don't match at all.
I really wish people would think about the project as a whole more, despite the quality of a drawing. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for great art --- if it fits the requirements of the Concept description.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Guys, I agree that BST consideration and concept and stuff should be considered...but only slightly. Stop getting your panties in a bunch...I could sit here and throw out hundreds of examples where Pokemon has questionable "design consistencies."

I recognize that in spite of those design inconsistencies that we should attempt to be consistent anyway, but comon, is Cartoons' design really that off kilter?

I never knew there was some sort of a requirement for moves like Gravity, Tailwind, Wish, Trick Room. Really guys, I didn't. Can't this thing use its many hands to "pray" for its teammates and give them Wish? Can't it do some slight of "hand" thing to represent "Trick" Room? Can't whirl its hands and arms around really fast to use Tailwind? Gravity...well I have no idea how Gravity comes about, but I don't think it has any special requirements.

As for the special attacking and physical defense bits...I'm ignoring Cartoons' statement for the moment about it being "designed" to be a physical attacker, as I don't think it matters. Note this thing has a base Special Attack of 90...Carnivine, Crawdaunt, Drifblim, Shiftry, Venemoth, and Wailord all also have a Special Attack of 90, and I don't see any particular parts about them that justify special attacking of 90. I mean...what does that even mean? Do special attackers need to have gems or something? Or something "mystical" about them? I don't think so.

The only part I might be slightly inclined to consider would be the physical defense department...I mean, it does look kind of frail lol.

I'm voting Cartoons. It just works, baby.

I seriously do not understand how people can criticise cartoons for not fitting the criteria, then vote for the imp thing.
The imp looks nothing like poison/ground it looks like a ghost or dark type, it doesn't even scream utility and looks nothing close to bulky. Good design but not for this project.

Ugh, though I agree that Smogimp is the most fitting for a more special based attacker (even though we shouldn't be focusing on that xD) and that they're all great works of art but they all have their flavour problems. Ground (or part ground) types are just not usually special attackers and the utility attacks that will be used have strange requirements that are better suited for "cute" Pokemon though not exclusive. It's just it seems like you guys are trying to shoot down other people's work for reasons based on tentative logic and I don't think that's fair. All these submissions have their strong and weak points so no matter who wins we'll still have something that'll work well and you should be happy to be so spoiled for choice.

Well, that's all I have to say on that matter. Surprised to see that Zantimonius' lizard got more support. ;p

It was a tough choice between Smog Imp and Daddy Big Hands. =\

There are a few moves that one of them can do and the other can't. Like Daddy Big Hands not being able to use Haze (me thinks he can phaze with Whirlwind though, but whateva), and Smog Imp not being able to Wish (which can actually be done with breeding, if it's decided). So yeah, it was pretty hard to pick one over the other.

In the end, I voted for Daddy Big Hands, even though it doesn't look Special-oriented. I take back whatever I said about Daddy Big Hands in the other poll. While it may not be specially-oriented (but I can really see it using the cowboy gun hand sign and firing thunderbolts/ice beams, or even use the Ultraman beam, LOL), it fits in the Utility theme really nicely.

And about the other person saying it looking frail... yes, I agree it looks 'limb-y', but come on! It has EIGHT FREAKISHLY LARGE HANDS that can block and swat away large chunks of rock and block Close Combat. Defensive doesn't really have to be shield- or armor-like.

But whatever gets chosen, all of them are really great. (disappointed that Oil Skater didn't make it. ToT)

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well, I gotta go with Cartoons! design. Simply put, I love its quirky style. Very good designs all around though.

Cartoon's is great, but for me it just doesn't feel "Pokemony" enough, and hence my vote goes to Doug.

From an art point, they are all fantastic.

If Smogon ever does a generation project, a ton of these should be in it with tweaked typings...

Agreed. I would love to see the Djinn from the Revenankh project and Cartoons' forest fire deer from the Pyroak implemented.

To be honest, what does it matter if something doesn't look special or not? Wasn't it decided at the beginning of this that its primary role is Utility?

Cartoons FTW. That's all that needs to be said. I disagree with you Cosmos that it doesn't feel Pokemony enough, on the contrary it is the only one pokemony enough. Besides Smogimp and Oil Skater, the others went too much for the badass feel. Badass isn't necessarily Pokemony, it's just badass.

Yes, I agree with IceBug.
Making an entire generation would be nice.
And these art designs are really good.
I mean...really good.
Fitting to be made into Pokemon.

Go Absolution!!

It best fits the conept and the stats. can you honestly say a skinny orb with big hands looks like a special attacker?

It looks Utility, but there's no way it's getting Tailwind, Trick Room, Gravity, or Wish.

The Smog Imp could easily get all of these, and more.

Vote for Absolution.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Why I voted for Cartoons:

Well first off, this is the most unique design out there. Nobody has ever seen anything like it anywhere in Pokemon. No offence to the other artists, but we have lizards and a few imps already. Have you ever seen a hand-spider?

Second, G_T and I brought up a good point: an art project can't look like a utility pokemon or a special attacker, since we don't have a clear definition of what either of them should look like. That being said, when you think of being helpful, what organ do you think of most? Hands, and this has plenty. Hands are the most expressive organs in the body. Some people even "talk" with their hands. This allows for a lot of creativity with ability and movepool. Here's a list of possible abilities and moves that I can see this getting:

Abilities
Frisk: Obvious one, pat it down with it's hands.
Persistant: When it gets knocked down, it can push itself back up.
Intimidate: When something has 8 hands and 4 of them are balled up in fists, you'd be intimidated too.
Unaware- Covering it's eyes and ears with it's hands.
Soundproof- See Unaware.
Iron Fist - It's made of hands.
Oblivious - See Unaware.
Quick Feet - It can only be hit by one status anyways.
Tangled Feet - 8 large hands could get tangled.
Klutz - See Tangled Feet.

Moves
The Punches: It has a ton of hands.
Wakeup Slap- Hands
Doubleslap- Hands
Poison Jab - Anyone here remember the Three Stooges? Mo always used to hit Curly in the eyes with his fingers.
Earthquake/Earth Power - Smashing the ground with his hands.
Shock Wave - Taken in the literal sense, see Earthquake.
Arm Thrust- Hands
Cross Chop/Brick Break/Cross Poison/Karate Chop - Karate
Crush Grip/Wring Out - Squeezing the foe
Block/Heal Block- Hands keep the foe from excaping.
The Screens- Putting up it's hands to protect the team.
Encore- Clapping it's hands.
Fling - Throwing items with its hands.
Helping Hand- Useless but handy. BADUM PSH.
Knock Off- Slapping the item off the opponent a la A-Rod in '04.
Beam Attacks- "Shooting" the opponent.
Wish - "Praying" for the team to heal.
Spiking Moves - The spikes on its body.
Taunt - Like in fighting movies, putting out his hand and telling the opponent to "come on".
Tickle - Hands.
There are probably more but you get the point.

In conclusion, this is easily one of the most diverse concepts out of allthe submissions. It's "badass" and "cute" at the same time. It looks fast and bulky. It looks like it can attack, defend, and support the team. That is why I voted for it.

P.S. Cartoons: If you in I will change my avatar to your animation, if you add a little Dr. Pepper cap at the end =P

Admittedly, Gravity does seem to be a stretch, but I could see Cartoon's character Springboarding off the ground, and slapping anybody who tries to float back up, down.

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Once again I vote for Cartoons.

It seems versitle enough, the god-knows-how-many hands can help him block attacks, which is a way you can explain the defense and...well...I just like it more. Zantimonius's and DJD's arts are very nice and well made (mainly Zantimonius's), but Cartoons's interesting design just blew me away (and the animation helped as well). The Smogimg, honestly, is very odd...it may look like a special attacker, but it doesn't seem to be fast or bulky or ground and looks like it is farting >_>. The design is well-made, but I don't really like the concept.

So, uh, Cartoons it is.

(but I can really see it using the cowboy gun hand sign and firing thunderbolts/ice beams, or even use the Ultraman beam, LOL),
That's it, I'm calling my hand spider Billy the Kid. He's going to be some sort of battle tank on stilts, firing four beam attacks at once. I have given up on my vendetta against and learn to accept the hand harvestmen.

To be honest, I'd have an easier time picking if these were sprites rather than actual pictures. Not saying you should change it, but something to think about next time you have an art poll.

Anyway, I couldn't really see anyone's working other than Doug's.

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Yes, I too have noticed that "Daddy Long Hands" by Cartoons! has gotten a lot of arguably unwarranted criticism. I think that some of you guys forget that art is just... art. In the end, the art submission process, unlike the other steps such as stat distributions, movepool, and ability, has no effect on this pokemon's role in the competitive metagame. Yes, the goal of this project is to make viable competitive pokemon, but art is really a time where we view our creation from a purely aesthetic standpoint, not a competitive one. In fact, some people I have talked to have gone so far as to claim that art determines movepool. However, my point is that art does not influence movepool or any other competitive battling aspect of our creation in any form, and therefore, saying that Cartoons! design is somehow less fitting for the stat spreads is just silly. The original concept as defined by Magmortified and Aldaron is the what determines the competitive nature of this pokemon, not art. As Time Mage said, we need to remember that there are no set rules for voting in the art poll. You can vote for whatever piece you like best for whatever reason, but since art doesn't influence the competitve nature of our pokemon, my vote goes to (in case I haven't made my bias clear enough) Cartoons!. Again, some people refuse to vote for it because it somehow doesn't fit the stat spreads and what not, but in reallity, all of the submissions fit the theme of pure utility very well. However, the originallity in Cartoons! design is what makes it stand out.

i agree with tennis.
he is very vesatile.
oh, and anyone who bashes a giant spike into blisseys face deserves to be a winner.
you forgot to add, tennis, tail wind could be him waving a bunch of his giant hands.
the only thing is, gravity.. it will be a stretch, but i think he could still learn it. we just need to improvise..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)