SM OU Bulky Offensive Team - SMOU

Hi guys. Here is my Bulky Offense based around Mega Mawile. Please let me know what you think, and if what can be improved. I managed to work my way up to 1500 on the ladder, but then I began to drop down from there.

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers

Ability: Grassy Surge

EVs: 224 HP / 216 SpD / 68 Spe

Careful Nature

- Swords Dance

- Synthesis

- Horn Leech

- Superpower

My first Bulky Offensive mon is Bulu. This mon forms a great core with Heatran, as it weakens earthquake for it, and gives it extra recovery through terrain, which we all know heatran needs. It is also able to take on the water/ground types that give Heatran trouble. At +2 bulu is able to smash through more passive threats which would otherwise be a pain for the rest of the team. Synthesis is an option to keep Bulu healthy throughout the game to continue to check Pokemon like Ash-Greninja, Koko and Garchomp for example. Horn Leech is mandatory STAB and also to reliably keep it healthy, and superpower to break through steel types.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb

Ability: Poison Heal

EVs: 224 HP / 52 Def / 76 SpD / 136 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Earthquake

- Roost

- U-turn

- Stealth Rock

My next mon is Gliscor. With Poison Heal and a Toxic Orb, Gliscor is given longevity and also is immune to status. Be careful of being knocked off before the Toxic Orb has activated however. The Defense EV’s here are to make sure Gliscor can survive a Play Rough into Sucker Punch from Mega-Mawile. Speed is to outspeed Heatran and anything slower. The rest in Special Defense is just to make Gliscor able to switch into Heatran more easily. Earthquake is mandatory STAB and it hits quite hard. Beware of your own Grassy Terrain being up though. Roost is for additional recovery, against predicted switch outs like heatran for example. U-Turn is there to gain momentum and bring in Mawile/Greninja safely. Finally Stealth Rock is there to get additional chip damage on the opposing team to make my cleaners jobs easier.

Heatran @ Groundium Z

Ability: Flash Fire

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Magma Storm

- Earth Power

- Taunt

- Toxic

Heatran covers Scizor and Ferrothorn and other bulky Grass types that Bulu would struggle with. I use the faster Timid spread here, as I find getting off a taunt on a lot of Pokemon first is an invaluable asset to the team, by blocking status/recovery for example. Magma storm is great for trapping Toxapex/Celesteela for the rest of the team. I use Groundium Z Earth Power here just to catch slower rock types such as T-Tar and also because I realised I actually didn’t have a Z move user on the team. Taunt and Toxic are there to shut down recovery and wear down threats. Toxic puts them on a timer and allows my bulky mons to pivot around and wear them down.

Rotom-Wash @ Wiki Berry

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe

Bold Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Hydro Pump

- Volt Switch

- Will-O-Wisp

- Defog

My last mon for the bulky core is Rotom-Wash. I use the standard Bold - Defensive set. I personally prefer Wiki Berry to the leftovers set as it recovers more health when you need it. Hydro Pump is standard STAB. Volt switch forms a Volt-Turn core with Gliscor, and also take the water/ice moves that would give Gliscor some trouble. It also helps deal with ground types for Heatran/Mawile. Will-O-Wisp is great on predicted switches to completely shut down physical attackers such as Mega-Scizor, Mega Lopunny and opposing Mega-Mawile. Originally Gliscor was my Defogger, and Heatran was my Rocks setter, but I found through testing that Rotom was able to do the job more reliably as it forces more switches.

Greninja @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Protean

EVs: 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe

Hasty Nature

- Rock Slide

- Gunk Shot

- Ice Beam

- U-turn

I have a physically based protean Greninja here to act as my cleaner, and also to catch surprise KO’s. In testing a lot of people have Lead Scarf Landorus-T against this, and stayed in assuming they’ll be quicker, to then get first turn shut down by Greninja’s Ice Beam. With a Scarf Greninja is ridiculously fast, and you never have to worry really about being outsped. I’ve opted for Rock Slide here as both Charizard sets gave me a fair bit of trouble. Gunk Shot is there to take out first turn Koko and revenge kill any Fairy/Grass types. Ice Beam is there to cover Lando and Gliscor. It also take a huge chunk off of Zapdos and lives a Discharge once becoming Ice type. Finally U-Turn is great to gain momentum to switch into the appropriate check.

Mawile @ Mawilite

Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Swords Dance

- Play Rough

- Sucker Punch

- Thunder Punch

Finally I run a completely standard Mega-Mawile. At +2 Sucker Punch pretty much breaks through anything once the opponent has been worn down a little bit. I Swords Dance, and Play Rough are standard. I prefer Thunder Punch in my last moveslot to catch Char-Y, Tornadus etc on the switch that may try to take advantage of Mawile‘ slow speed.

When it comes to Mawile, I’m really unsure if it is right from this team. The only fast mon I have is Greninja, and I feel like I maybe need a different Mega, which has some speed to act as more of a sweeper, but you guys let me know what you think.
Threats:

- Kartana can be a threat once some of my bulkier mons have been taken down, but the Scarf set can be dealt with more easily than Z or Swords Dance.
- Magerna can be a pain if it’s a bulkier set
- Charizard Y + X can both be trouble if my Greninja has already gone down.
- Excadrill on Sand Teams is horrible too, although sand isn’t that common.

Importable is below, so feel free to check it out.

https://pokepast.es/0075c8cf36337bec

Cheers​

I really think you should change ground-z to fire-z on Heatran. The only time it seems you’d use it is when a Pokémon that is in can OHKO you with earthquake after. Also is the reason is specificity for ttar that’s not a good one as normal banded ttar doesn’t die to it after stealth rocks, and it doesn’t get better for defensive or mega

Not to mention grassy terrain

Ok so
Regarding Bulu, the spread is fine
I really do think that you should swap synthesis with either wood hammer, as it hits super hard under terrain, denting even something like tornadus, or protect if you want recovery, as it allows you to scout what your opponent's about to do, or to lock a choice user in a move.
I feel like synthesis is a bit too much overkill, as with lefties, terrain, horn leech and potentially protect you recover already enough. I would go with wood hanner personally.
Gliscor is... bad. The only thing it can really take on is heatran, and he still takes a million from random fire moves on switch-in. You mentioned it as a mawile check, but given your spread your eq won't even be enough to ko it back, and gliscor will just die from double play rough. To top it all off, it loses to the most popular defoggers in the game, namely tornadus, pelipper and fini, as the first does way too much damage with hurricane, and the water types can just scald gliscor down. If you really wanna keep gliscor, i would suggest changing it to a swords dance variant, as it is more threatening overall, although I would entirely replace it with a bulky landorus-t, packing swords dance, stealth rock, eq, and either fly (with flynium z) or explosion. This would actually put a serious threat that has to be dealt with on the field, ad gives you a better swith-in to mega maw. It also threatens the defoggers I mentioned with z fly or explosion at +2.
Heatran is cool. I mean, I really preper modest, as it has a 2hko on toxapex and a ohko on opposing heatran, but timid is ok I think. Protect over taunt could be an option, especially if you choose to use the z crystal on lando, as heatran would get lefties recovery, alongside with terrein recovery from bulu, while also racking up damage with toxic.
Rotom is cool too. Helps against rain.
Greninja is pretty much an unavoidable inclusion here. It has too much coverage that you need. The set is fine, you could replace gunk with spikes if you really want, and try to outplay fairies.
And maw is ok too. I prefer fire fang over thunder punch, but this leaves you vulnerable to toxapex. A lot. And heatran can take care of what fire fang would take care of.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)