Battle Spot BSS team help needed

Hey guys, first time posting, hoping to get some help. I'm fairly new to online battling, and as most others such as myself I struggle with team building the most. I had a solid charizard Y team back in late ORAS that served me well. It didn't too great in this meta so I built a team around mega Venusaur instead.

Here it is...

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 180 SpA / 80 SpD / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power Fire

I chose Venusaur for one main reason, most stuff I ran into was fairy pokemon. He's proven to be amazing, and has won me so many battles. He's just something I enjoy using.

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Surf
- U-Turn

Greninja. I love this guy, so much speed, power, reliability and his design is great. I chose greninja as a way to deal with psychic, ground and fire types. His ability to be an effective lead with U-turn while destroying common threats such as garchomp or salamence is amazing. I prefer focus sash just as a way to deal with salamence if it's already got a DDANCE up. It's always worked out for me this way. It just seems to work with Venusaur so well. I also prefer surf as it's in between Scald and Hydro Pump. Lacks the burn chance, but more reliable than Hydro.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

I chose landorus as a way to cover the flying/ground weakness for Venusaur whilst covering the electric weakness for greninja. I went for the defensive route for two reasons, I already run a scarf pokemon and well I wanted something that could take hits easier. I really like Knock Off as I hate being walled by porygon 2 and chansey, plus it's a solid slow u-turner.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Fire

After getting smashed by this pokemon I really wanted it on the team. Absolutely love its terrain Ability, blocking out priority moves, and just the fact it hits hard and fast is amazing. Plus I needed something to cover greninjas fighting weakness, while Venusaur covers the Poison weakness.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

I don't really know why I chose Magnezone to be honest. I guess in my mind at the time I wanted a decent Volt switcher and a solid out to steel types. I like the fact it gives me a t wave immunity and a way to cover greninja. But I'm not sure.

Arcanine @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed
- Wild Charge
- Close Combat

The last slot. This is the one I struggled with the most. I know the terrain conflicts with e. Speed, but I suppose my mindset was the terrain won't always be there. I needed something to hit physical, and to be able to take on special defence tanks like porygon, chansey, blissey etc. Honestly not sure. Please if anyone can think of something else I'd be grateful. It has done well, but it just adds another Earthquake weakness.

So there's the team. It's currently 8-3. I know it's not the best (but I'm not either), but it's done well. I honestly just need some help with it as I always hit a brickwall in my mind when building. I'm getting better at battling, it's just the building.

I apologise in advance for the descriptions, not great at explaining my reasonings.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help, as I only want to improve.

Hi Regnier, i'll start saying that at first glance your team looks a little weak to Tapu Lele that, specially if it's running Focus Blast, can take deal huge damage to your whole team.

To mitigate this weakness i'm suggesting Aegislash over Magnezone, that not only can deal with Lele, but who even synergizes well with Mega Venusaur, Landorus and even decently with Tapu Lele.
@ Ghostium-Z / Weakness Policy / Air Balloon (this last one is not a standard item on it but works fine with Mega Venu)
Ability: Stance Change
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature / Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Sneak / Hidden Power Ice / Sacred Sword / Toxic
- King's Shield

Pretty standard Aegislash, with Hidden Power Ice as an option to hit Mega Salamence that hardly threatens your Mega. Sacred Sword would be mainly for Heatran and Ferrothorn. Toxic if you fear stally mons.

With this in the team, you would be a little weak to Ground-types even with Greninja and Landorus in the team. So i would consider adding something else over Arcanine, for example like a Thundurus-T that would still be able to deal with those mons you listed in Arcanine's description (p2, chansey, blissey), while mitigating your ground weakness and giving a handy Flying-type resist for Mega Venusaur.

@ Fightinium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature / Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

This set can deal with those three mons thanks to the combination of the Fightium Z and Nasty Plot, but even more important it can take out threats such as Heatran, Ferrothorn and Celesteela.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that EVs work differently at Lv50 and that Hidden Power types don't require you to run 30IVs in a stat anymore thanks to Hyper Training, so a value of 16 or 24 waste some EVs at lv50.
For example, on Landorus-T i'd recommend a spread of 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 SpD with an Impish nature, since that makes you live a Life Orb Tapu Koko HP Ice (almost everytime) among other stuff, while the speed investment doesn't give you any benefits:

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 44 SpD Landorus-T: 166-198 (84.6 - 101%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 44 SpD Landorus-T: 160-192 (81.6 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
you can stay in to knock off the Eviolite and still have the option to Intimidate another Pokémon later on

You should adjust the spread for Mega Venusaur too for Lv50 (and on Magnezone if you intend to keep it).

Since you already have Arcanine and you put HP Fire on a few of your Pokémon, i think you could use Leech Seed > Hidden Power Fire on Mega Venusaur to get chip damage on bulky Pokémon like Porygon2 and Celesteela (which in return can't Seed you).

Lastly on Arcanine, i would suggest using a Z crystal like Firium Z or even Electrium Z over Life Orb, since that will give you additional means of dealing a ton of damage.
252 Atk Arcanine Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 164-194 (96.4 - 114.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Arcanine Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Tapu Fini: 158-188 (89.7 - 106.8%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
If you don't mind losing out on Porygon-Z, neutral speed natured base 100 Pokémon and Timid Xurkitree, you could also run an Adamant Nature to guarantee the KO's with Gigavolt Havoc while also dealing more damage with your regular moves.

Good luck with your team!

Hey, thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I will test both a lot and see how they do. Already tested the suggestions from Solerme. They worked out fine, some wins and losses, but losses were moreso down to me as a player than anything.

I will give your suggestions a go fischgrat, thanks for giving me more options with arcanine aswell :).

To be perfectly honest I always forget Z moves exist and still have the mindset from ORAS of a mega, then the rest holding life orb or choice items etc. Haha.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This team looks ok, I would have suggested you keep Magnezone and just use an Assault Vest over Specs instead of switching Aegislash in. This is a little better against Lele. Arcanine is a little weird, a Fire-type seems to compliment the team offensively but makes you too weak to Ground mons. Rotom-H in the last slot would be cool but then Scarf Mold Breaker Excadrill pretty much sweeps you apart from Landorus-T (assuming it dodges Horn Drill). Mega Salamence could work as a good backup mega option as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)