Break This Team - Week 7: Wanka's HO Normal [Check Post 121]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adapted from the OM version here
Approved by Dream Eater Gengar

(banner by @Disbelief!)

Welcome to Break This Team: Monotype Edition! This is a thread where we will take a common team or archetype every week (or so) and figure out what can beat it! For the interest of the project in a Monotype environment, there will be one fairly major change to the formula: you can only submit cores for a type which is at a disadvantage vs the type of the team given. For example, I don't want a bunch of Water cores to beat a Fire team, I wanna see what Grass would need to beat it!

Rules:
  • Don't posts teams or suggestions for teams here please. Those can be directed to one of A: my wall, B: PMs here, or C: my showdown PMs, if you see me there.
  • Cores should consist of two-three pokemon which, of course, share a type. You will need to include a short description of what these mons will do to beat the team given (Think RMT pokemon description length). These Pokemon should come from the type's respective viability ranking found here
  • Rounds will 7 days, with the first round lasting a bit longer possibly because I'm antsy to get this up. The first 5 days of this (Thursday through Monday) will be for submissions of cores, while the last 2 (Tuesday-Wednesday) will be spent voting. You cannot vote for yourself, however you can vote for any two of the other submissions. I will allow you to change your vote if you realize a fundamental issue with a core, but don't do it in an attempt to annoy me last second or help someone beat someone you don't like.

Last edited:
Week 1: HO Steel (this particular team was given to me by Wanka, on behalf of all falls down)

Anyone laddering Monotype recently or looking at the usage stats can see the sudden influx in the use of Hyper Offensive Steel Monotypes. The archetype has gained a lot of popularity in recent months, and is certainly something that would be nice to have a guaranteed win versus!
Types eligible for submission:

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Ancient Power
- Earth Power
- Taunt

Bisharp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Skarmory @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower

Feel free to post!​

Last edited:

BlackJak

formerly Balanced Break
Lol oh how I love this team so. And since the fact my man Peef mentioned Grass that's exactly what I'll bring to the table.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite

Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 216 HP / 208 Def / 84 SpA
Lax Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake
- Synthesis/Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb/Giga Drain

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Rock Tomb/Swords Dance
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute

While not trying to directly counter team this Steel Team and change sets, these are sets I basically use to handle Steel in general. Starting with Venusaur, Hidden Power Fire and Earthquake are both good to use because steel does not have any answers to this combination besides Air Balloon Tran, which can be handled with by another mon. The defensive Nature and EV's are for physical attackers, and lean towards defensive instead of specially defensive to avoid things like Scizor or Bisharp sweeping me. Breloom act's as a really good pokemon, once Doublade and Scizor is out of the way, but it does get a free spore on the team which is good. Serperior is pretty much straight up leaf storm spam on something low, then clean with Hidden Power Ground or Leaf Storm. Generally, there's more Hidden powers you can use on Serperior, such as Fire,Ice, or Rock, but in this case we'll go ground. A last primary partner for this core would be Rotom Mow with scarf, Volt Switch, and Hidden Power Fire, which acts really good since it can live a 2+ Mega Scizor BP and kill with HP fire.

Trichotomy

is a Tiering Contributoris a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
MPL Champion
Rock Core:

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Fire Punch

This is an unusual Aggron set, but it works quite well against Steel. Aggron is able to eat up any moves Scizor tosses at it (including a +4 superpower) and is able to OHKO it in return with Fire Punch. Rest is for longevity and Sleep Talk is to hit Steel with a surprise Fire Punch or EQ (or Rest, if you get unlucky).

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Earthquake

Tyranitar is able to eat up most special moves thrown at it from both Heatran and Magnezone, thanks to its boosted 2.25x Spdef due to sand and assault vest. Even with a minus speed nature, it is able to outspeed non-invested Doublade and pick up the kill after just a little prior damage with Dark Pulse. Fire Blast, Superpower, and EQ are all coverage moves to deal maximum possible damage to Steel types. Aggron and itself are very good partners, being able to tank Physical and Special moves, respectively.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

This is a standard CB set but it destroys HO steel due to the lack of defensive skarm (which gets 2hkoed by cc anyways). Terrak actually has a nice chance to 2hko Doublade w/EQ and once Heatran's Air Balloon is popped, Terrakion can pretty much win with EQ.

Side note: Mental Herb Shuckle fits very well on this team, providing Sticky Web for Terrak to outspeed magnezone and guaranteeing that Tyranitar outspeeds Doublade.

Last edited:
Normal Core

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

Rocks chips off HP everytime they switch since there's no hazard control outside of Skarm. Seismic Toss does decent damage to everything while Thunder Wave cripples fast mons.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Foul Play
- Discharge
- Ice Beam

Foul Play prevents Scizor / Doublade from setting up. Trace makes it immune to Heatran's Fire Blast.

Diggersby @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Quick Attack
- Return

Earthquake + Fire Punch gets a free kill everytime you predict correctly.

Chansey + P2 can efficiently wall everything bar Scizor & Bisharp (you can still check it w/ P2). Foul Play on P2 is the most important because it prevents Doublade and Scizor from setting up. Diggersby cleans up once Scizor / Heatran is weakened because Skarmory's going to be dead turn 3.

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus

"Heralvantularona"
This Bug core is a really solid answer to the given team, Volcarona being able to mostly clean after Skarmory uses its Custap Berry or isn't in range, and Heatran is weakened or lost its Air Balloon. Heracross is another solid threat to hyper offensive Steel-type teams, as they usually tend to be on the slower side and have to rely on priority such as Bisharp's Sucker Punch, which it resists. Galvantula was added onto the core to give a secondary check to Doublade, as it walls Heracross for the most part, provide momentum, and even act as a Heatran lure or way to pop it's balloon.

As for the sets, I decided that Bulkarona would probably be the way to go, as hyper offensive Steel is mostly based on strong physical attackers such as Bisharp, Doublade, and Mega Scizor. I decided that 172 Speed would work well, and although it loses a bit of bulk, Volcarona is able to outpace Heatran before a Quiver Dance, and everything after a Quiver Dance. Scarf Heracross is the main answer to Scarf Magnezone, offers a secondary Bisharp check, and takes on Heatran, and only fears Doublade, which the other members take care of. Choice Specs Galvantula is a pretty solid Pokemon, and does some hefty damage to anything. It is a great pivot, especially since Steel-type teams usually do not have a Ground-type Pokemon immune to Volt Switch. Hidden Power Ground is a solid fit in the filler spot if you're looking for some extra checks against Steel-type teams, and can surprise opposing Heatran, and allows Galvantula to be a secondary check to Magnezone.

As for the core itself, Volcarona and Galvantula support Heracross by taking on basically every Pokemon, although Volcarona struggles against Air Balloon Heatran and Galvantula struggles against Sucker Punch from Bisharp. Both of Volcarona and Galvantula's issues are helped by Heracross, which outpaces both Heatran and Bisharp, and KOs them with Close Combat.

The biggest threats to this core are Skarmory, which can set up Stealth Rock, and hit all the members with an invested Brave Bird, especially dangerous with Custap Berry, and Heatran, which can hit all of the Pokemon for super effective damage, although every Pokemon outpaces it, and once it loses its Air Balloon all of the Pokemon in the core can take it out.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 184 HP / 152 Def / 172 Spe
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Roost

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge

Galvantula @ Choice Specs
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Last edited:
Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 208 HP / 208 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Foul Play
- Reflect

Being part Steel, it is the natural counter for steel moves, and its general bulkiness provides added benefit. Laying spikes helps break sturdy, and generally weakens Pokemon, especially because there is no rapid spin or defogger on the Steel team. Reflect and Thunderwave helps the physical sweepers and assists with Azumarill and Clefable setting up with Belly Drum and Calm Mind, respectively. Foul play also greatly helps with Pokemon such as Scizor, which can easily sweep a fairy team without any real skill from the opponent, such as spamming bullet punch.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum
- Superpower

Its bulkiness generally helps with the majority of the Threatening steel Pokemon, and the water type helps resist the steel effectiveness as well. Also, its power and set up ability with superpower has the potential to do a lot of damage to the core of the steel team.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Encore

Encore is perfect for trapping physical attackers using Swords Dance or Skarmony using Spikes. And Once Heatran is gone (A big if, but this should be feasible with careful maneuvering), this Pokemon has the ability to do significant damage to this team.

BlackJak

formerly Balanced Break
Also, how do I add picture of pokemon and format it like the rest of the posts? Thanks :)
http://www.pokestadium.com/tools/sprites

Just put the pokemon in and c/p or drag it then c/p it in images or the little picture icon next to the smiley face. also with how to hide posts you could do [ Hide = ] then put your title then under that put your info then after your done do [ /hide ]

Betathunder

alphalightning
Flying Core

charizard-megay.gif
landorus.gif

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Rock Polish
- Psychic

Honestly this core is not that hard to explain. Charizard Y clicks Fire Blast, Landorus clicks earth power. Focus Blast on each provides a move to hit Heatran before the balloon is popped, as well as allowing Landorus to hit Skarmory. Rock Polish is a filler move that allows Lando to outspeed scarf Magnezone, as well as also providing mind games against Bisharp.

The only possible threats to the core are misses, sucker mind games, and scarf mag revenging. However, magnezone has its own 50/50 attributed to it, as HP ice is neutral to Zard Y, whereas Landorus is immue to thunderbolt and volt switch.

It's almost impossible to win vs that team with Psychic, so here follows my psy core

+
/

Gallade-Mega (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Fire Punch
- Knock Off / Will-O-Wisp
- Bulk Up

Any Espeon/Xatu set is possible

Gallade pretty much breaks any Steel team with that set, aslong as Skarmory is gone. Espeon or Xatu will be the Skarm Counter in this case, pretty straightforward imo.

Seo.

Dragon Core

Sets:
Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Superpower
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Explanation: Basically, the sets explain it all. Hydreigon has Flamethrower + Superpower for Heatran, Dragonite has EQ + Fire punch, and Garchomp in general walls this steel, except Choice scarf magnezone which u can switch to Kyurem black on its HP Ice

Voting Time! Remember, vote for your two favorites and don't vote for yourself! You have until this time Thursday to cast your vote

Core 1:
Core 2:
Core 3:
Core 4:
Core 5:
Core 6:

Core 7: OR
Core 8:

Also friendly reminder: I'll always be accepting teams! I have week 2 queued up already, but I'd like to have a stockpile myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)