Here's a theory set:

Blaziken @ Leftovers
252 Atk/176 Spe/80 SpAtk
Naive / Speed Boost

Substitute
Hi Jump Kick
Shadow Claw
Fire Blast/Blaze Kick

Fire Blast deserves a mention on a non-boosting set because a lot of physical walls are hit harder by fire blast, and he carries shadow claw to wear down jellicent anyway, but with these EVs he hits hard enough to 2hko Lati@s with Shadow Claw, and he nets a recoil-free 2hko on Gliscor. Often, teams rely on Blaziken wearing itself down with Flare Blitz+LO recoil to keep them from being swept completely, or offensively beating it with Scarf Lati@s, but +Spe Ken beats 110s at +2 Speed, which makes them ineffective in checking him if he gets those 2 free turns (1 on the switch, 1 as they break the substitute). EVs put him at 528 Speed after +2.

What about for a mixed set
Blaziken @ life orb
252 attack/252 sp. Attack/4 speed ev's
Overheat
High jump kick
Stone edge
Hidden power electric

What are your thoughts I'm kind of a noob to competitive battling

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
^Without any speed EVs, that set will take some time to outspeed the things you want Blaziken to outspeed. When you blaziken is getting outsped by the likes of Tyranitar and breloom on the first turn, you've got a problem on your hands. HP Electric is also pretty weak. The only thing it hits hard is Gyarados and you have stone edge for that. HP Ice hits Gliscor (meh, so does Fire blast in the sun) and the dragons so you'll probably want that instead.

Mixed Ken handles most of the things switching into it as if it were a normal Blaziken, but I don't see too much conventional use outside of substitute (which is scary even when normal Blaziken uses it).

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mixken is actually a really good idea both in theory and in practice, but before you use it, you need to make sure you understand why you're using that instead of a physical or Baton Pass Blaziken. Both are unequivocally his most dominant and destructive sets.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Mixken is actually a really good idea both in theory and in practice, but before you use it, you need to make sure you understand why you're using that instead of a physical or Baton Pass Blaziken. Both are unequivocally his most dominant and destructive sets.
By which you mean that physical is the dominant set and BP is illegal, right? Also, Blaziken needs to always run max Speed, even on the mixed sets. That's pretty much a given for any non-TR sweeper, unless they're in a weird speed tier.

There's 2 speed marks Blaziken should hit:

1: 244/245 Speed.
2: 528 at +2 (outspeeding scarf 110s). Requires +Spe but hey, who wouldn't like to outspeed Lati@s at +2?

Scarf 110s are pretty rare, actually. With Specs and LO being Latios' most common sets, I'd much rather run Adamant for the KO on Gliscor and a few other threats. Jolly +2 is still outpaced by Excadrill anyway, so it is kind of a moot point.

Has anyone had any experience with Balloon Blaziken? With Life Orb, I often feel like I'm my own worst enemy and it limits the amount of things Blaziken will kill. But the extra power helps wreck stuff like Gliscor, etc.

Balloons wonderful. Hands down the best item as +2 HJK still KOs all of the bulky walls even without a 1.3x modifier. Set up on beasts like T-tar and it also lets you do stuff like revenge unboosted dory in a pinch.

I think that Mix Blaziken is a terrible idea as the things you hit with an unboosted fireblast are hit equally as hard or even harder by +2 HJK. The only special attack worth considering is HP Ice for gliscor

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
By which you mean that physical is the dominant set and BP is illegal, right? Also, Blaziken needs to always run max Speed, even on the mixed sets. That's pretty much a given for any non-TR sweeper, unless they're in a weird speed tier.
No, I mean "I was also talking about DW, stop being such a smartass."

Balloons wonderful. Hands down the best item as +2 HJK still KOs all of the bulky walls even without a 1.3x modifier.
+2 HJK on Hippowdon: 72.9% - 85.7%

I'm not going to bother doing calcs on anything else.

I think that Mix Blaziken is a terrible idea as the things you hit with an unboosted fireblast are hit equally as hard or even harder by +2 HJK.
You need to get that magical +2 first. MixKen can go straight for coverage while SD pays you for finding setup opportunities. But you won't always find them. You'll know the difference when you're being revenged by Garchomp.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Has anyone had any experience with Balloon Blaziken? With Life Orb, I often feel like I'm my own worst enemy and it limits the amount of things Blaziken will kill. But the extra power helps wreck stuff like Gliscor, etc.
Blaziken needs OHKOs (and it misses some important ones without LO), and I've never felt like LO recoil was a problem unless I missed a HJK to a switch or Protect, since most of the relevant threats are going to be OHKOing regardless.
No, I mean "I was also talking about DW, stop being such a smartass."
Considering DW isn't the standard metagame, you should probably specify that.
And maybe Vacuum Wave? Most people bring out Priority Moves for Blaziken, after all. Then again that's fairly situational.
Might have use on a revenge killer, but none of the standard sweepers will want it. Since it doesn't KO any priority users, you'd be trading a move slot for some damage on one Pokémon before you went down.

thanks for the help, i just mentioned a possible mixed set because i was thinking of ways blaziken can surprise people if they're always expecting a physical swords dance set.
One thing though, everybody mentions fire blast on blaziken but why not overheat? it has more power and accuracy and even though you get a major sp. attack drop you can just use a physical attack or switch out after using it. Is the added power boost in overheat just not very significant?

alphatron

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I couldn't help but wonder...

How would baton passing TO blaziken work out? Blaze usually has trouble setting up, correct? So how would baton passing the sword's dance to him work? We have good baton passers, such as Mew, to make life easy. And since someone is bp'ing the boost to blaziken, he now has room for four attacks.

Of course, a lagging tail could keep Blaziken from being smacked by attacks on the way in.

thanks for the help, i just mentioned a possible mixed set because i was thinking of ways blaziken can surprise people if they're always expecting a physical swords dance set.
One thing though, everybody mentions fire blast on blaziken but why not overheat? it has more power and accuracy and even though you get a major sp. attack drop you can just use a physical attack or switch out after using it. Is the added power boost in overheat just not very significant?
Fire Blast nets the same KOs and can be used on multiple occasions, unlike Overheat.

How would baton passing TO blaziken work out? Blaze usually has trouble setting up, correct? So how would baton passing the sword's dance to him work? We have good baton passers, such as Mew, to make life easy. And since someone is bp'ing the boost to blaziken, he now has room for four attacks.
Baton Passing is an option for any sweeper, but it is generally more effective if the sweeper can set themselves up as BPing can be pretty difficult.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Early on this gen everyone kept saying that infernape was outclassed by blaziken. Well, I see it as the exact opposite. Blaziken does have speed, but does speed really matter when you have priority attacks?? No. Infernape has two excellent priority attacks on both sides of the spectrum, and so is overall a more diverse attacker than blaziken. This brings me to my second point. Blaziken is a physical attacker, and therefore he cannot effectively run a mixed or special set like infernape. Furthermore, blaziken doesn't get encore or stealth rock, so he is a bit lacking in the support department. Heck, he can't even baton pass his boosts (speed) thanks to Gamefreak. Finally, blaziken doesn't get slack off, so he has no access to an instant recovery move.

alphatron

Baton Passing is an option for any sweeper, but it is generally more effective if the sweeper can set themselves up as BPing can be pretty difficult.
Tell that to Gorebyss. But yeah, you're right. I'm probably not going to try it anytime soon though. There are several things in this metagame that Blaziken can set up on.

Finally, blaziken doesn't get slack off, so he has no access to an instant recovery move
I was about to respond seriously to this, but I know you're joking now. Good thing I read the whole post.

Early on this gen everyone kept saying that infernape was outclassed by blaziken. Well, I see it as the exact opposite. Blaziken does have speed, but does speed really matter when you have priority attacks?? No. Infernape has two excellent priority attacks on both sides of the spectrum, and so is overall a more diverse attacker than blaziken. This brings me to my second point. Blaziken is a physical attacker, and therefore he cannot effectively run a mixed or special set like infernape. Furthermore, blaziken doesn't get encore or stealth rock, so he is a bit lacking in the support department. Heck, he can't even baton pass his boosts (speed) thanks to Gamefreak. Finally, blaziken doesn't get slack off, so he has no access to an instant recovery move.
You haven't played with Blaziken (or Infernape if you think Slack Off is viable).

For one, by the time Nape has set up NP/SD and Blaziken has set up SD, Blaziken is both stronger and faster.

Second, Infernape only has Mach Punch over Blaziken, and it is a mere 40 base power. Blaziken does not need to worry about priority when its speed is increasing every turn.

Blaziken actually has a higher SpA than Infernape, allowing Fire Blast and Hidden Power alone to easily sweep through physical walls, and it still has a much more powerful physical attack in the form of HJK. He does not need Nasty Plot when Mixed and SD already OHKO everything in sight.

LOL support - Infernape works as a Stealth Rock lead and that's it.

Look at the statistics, look at the base stats, look at the moves, look at the abilities, and look at the general consensus - Infernape is outclassed.

You haven't played with Blaziken (or Infernape if you think Slack Off is viable).

For one, by the time Nape has set up NP/SD and Blaziken has set up SD, Blaziken is both stronger and faster.

Second, Infernape only has Mach Punch over Blaziken, and it is a mere 40 base power. Blaziken does not need to worry about priority when its speed is increasing every turn.

Blaziken actually has a higher SpA than Infernape, allowing Fire Blast and Hidden Power alone to easily sweep through physical walls, and it still has a much more powerful physical attack in the form of HJK. He does not need Nasty Plot when Mixed and SD already OHKO everything in sight.

Look at the statistics, look at the base stats, look at the moves, look at the abilities, and look at the general consensus - Infernape is outclassed.
Uhh..
Lol, sorry bro, but this is funny.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted

For some reason, I was under the impression that blaziken was primarily a physical attacker, but I guess I was mistaken.

For some reason, I was under the impression that blaziken was primarily a physical attacker, but I guess I was mistaken.
If that was sarcasm, I couldn't tell through the internet.

Blaziken is primarily a physical attacker, yes...but it isn't stopped by physical or special walls really. Everything infernape can do with a special set, Blaziken can do with SD, and more. Infernape has U-turn, stealth rock, and encore (lol).

blaziken might be better as far sweeping goes but you make infernape look useless. he is one of the best SR users these days thanks to encore and good base speed, and the same double STAB blaziken got. i think that to use infernape as a offensive pokemon is just being outclassed by blaziken these days, instead one should abuse the fact he is capable of supporting the team while not being a useless setup folder after that.

always fun to run fire punch\mach punch\SD\thunderpunch iron fist infernape though. idk why, its just fun lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)