ORAS NU Black Glasses

ORAS NU SQUAD
BLACK GLASSES

Introduction:

This is an NU team that I've been using a lot recently and it's been working out for me. I decided to post it here so that, if you want, you guys can use it to and to also get some feedback on ways in which I can improve this team. The team is relatively balanced but has the ability to easily sweep any team if you can set up with Nasty Plot Liepard. Prankster Liepard is one of my favourite sets to use just because the move Copy Cat is completely busted when used properly with the ability Prankster. So without further ado here's the team-building process.

Team-Building Process:

I started off with wanting to build a team around Prankster Liepard. I haven't seen the Nasty Plot variant of the set used in a while and wondered why it isn't as popular anymore. Many people often run the Offensive Pivot set nowadays and I really think this alternative set deserves more love.

I realised that Nasty Plot Liepard requires the opposing team to be hindered slightly so that it has the ability to start setting-up. This is where the Mixed Defensive Tank Regirock fitted perfectly due to the fact that it could throw up Stealth Rocks and T-Wave any opposing threats that could ruin my chances of a sweep. Regirock can be used to pretty much soak up any threatening damage and completely wall threatening Pokemon like Choice Scarf Scyther. Regirock also acts as a very safe lead against most teams where you cannot predict an opponents lead Pokemon.

The two Pokemon that I had in my team thus far both took super-effective damage from fighting-type Pokemon, namely Choice Scarf Primeape that would out-speed Liepard as well as Mach Punch Hitmonchan. I decided to then throw in a ghost-type to counter the fighting-type weakness and came up with SubSplit Haunter. I had used this set in the past and it's hilariously fun to use against high HP opposing walls that rely on status moves to bring down opponents. As Haunter also possesses Levitate, it can be used to switch-in against ground-type moves that could potentially destroy Regirock.

In combination with Haunter, I required a Pokemon that could simply be used to break down walls that stood in my way - namely the newly added Gastrodon. I also wanted a 'mon that could give my team a second chance if I had made a mistake and had risked one of my sweepers, namely Liepard, taking too much damage or being inflicted with a status ailment. This is where Offensive Mesprit came in perfectly, armed with moves that can wreck common walls like Vileplume, Weezing, Gastrodon and even out-speeding Malamar and decimating it with a Signal Beam.

Once I took a look at the team, I realised that opposing ghost-type Pokemon like Choice Scarf Haunter and Life Orb Mismagius could Shadow Ball wreck my offensive Mesprit and nimble Haunter. This is where I thought it would be appropriate to throw in a normal-type beast in the midst to provide complete immunity to any ghost-type threats. Silk Scarf Kangaskhan fitted in perfectly. It's boosted Fake Out priority also made it the perfect 'mon to scout out any moves my opponent was attempting to make.

Finally I needed a way in which I could get rid of hazards on my end of the field, as well as adding some much-needed priority to the team. This is where Assault Vest Hitmonchan came into the picture. The spread that I am using is different to the one on Smogon, with my Hitmonchan slightly bulkier in the defensive area so that it can at least take a hit from a physical attacker.

In-Depth Look:

Liepard @ Black Glasses
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Encore
- Copycat
  • Use Encore to predict a hazard or set-up from an opposing 'mon to pretty much completely cripple them. Then proceed to spam Nasty Plot and the fact that you will have 342 speed you will pretty much be able to out-speed most Pokemon and throw out your initial Dark Pulse. If the opponent sends in a 'mon that possesses speed greater than Liepards, simply use Copycat (after using the initial Dark Pulse) in combination with your ability Prankster to make it a priority move and out-speed any opposing Pokemon from then on out.

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Atk / 16 Def / 56 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave
- Drain Punch

• The aim of Regirock is to simply tank any threatening moves that your opponent can dish out at you. Thunder Wave can be used to easier cripple enemy sweepers as they attempt to set-up on you, and Stealth Rock is a given across any team in NU. Stone Edge is a great move to use to hit any Pokemon hard, but could be replaced with Rock Slide for an accuracy boost as well as giving you the ability to ParaFlinch opposing Pokemon. Drain Punch is here to allow you to regain your health and bring you back to Sturdy.
  • Be sure to utilise Sturdy against any opposing Pokemon that could easily decimate your team. This could be Ludicolo sweeping in the Rain that would usually OHKO Regirock with a STAB rain-boosted Life Orb Hydro Pump. Sturdy can be used to throw up a quick T-Wave and allow another one of your 'mons to defeat the sweeper, namely Haunter who can wreck Ludicolo with a Sludge Bomb.

Haunter @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute
- Pain Split

• The aim of this Haunter is to simply come in on Pokemon that can't do anything against it, set up a Substitute and smack down opponents with its two STAB moves - Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb. The Substitute in combination with the Life Orb will slowly deteriorate your own health, but when used correctly in conjunction with Pain Split you can easily wear down opposing enemy walls with relative ease. Haunter's low HP stat allows for it to regain A LOT of health when it is down in the red-level and uses Pain Split against a Pokemon with high HP - like Steelix for example.

Mesprit @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Energy Ball
- Healing Wish

• Psychic - STAB that steamrolls through standard NU walls like Weezing and Vileplume.
  • Signal Beam - OHKOs the busted Contrary Malamar.
  • Energy Ball - OHKOs the painful wall Gastrodon, as well decimating Rhydon and other defensive walls like Regirock.
  • Healing Wish - give your Pokemon a second chance at life when Mesprit's is almost over due to Life Orb recoil.

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake

• Use Fake Out to scout out potential plays the opponent is attempting to make. Using Fake Out, switching out into a Pokemon you can sack, and then bringing Khan in to use Fake Out again is a great way to secure yourself easy damage on an opposing Pokemon as well as potentially winning a game.
  • Sucker Punch is always great to have when you can predict an opponent is going to attack you or if they are locked into an attacking move and cannot switch out.
  • Earthquake is here for Pokemon like Muk that you could not normally break through without risking Khan getting poisoned, as well as smacking down the recently added Aggron that would most usually always wall you with its typing.

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Def
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

• This is not a common spread used for Hitmonchan, but I feel making him a little bit bulkier in the defence region really allows for him to spread his wings and come back unexpectedly.
  • Mach Punch is always great to simply get rid of super-quick threats like Swellow, assuming that it has already lost health due to Stealth Rock + Fake Out prior damage, as well as simply just finishing off other Pokemon without risking your Hitmonchan in anyway.
  • Rapid Spin - GIVEN. If you can predict the opponent switching into a ghost-type to wall this, you can then go out into your own Haunter or Kangaskhan to take full-advantage of them.
  • Sometimes I have thought about switching Ice Punch with Thunder Punch for walls like Pelipper and Mantine, but Ice Punch has been very useful to me and it is absolutely great when you get a freeze with it.

Conclusion:

Many thanks if you read this. Like I said before, feel free to give me any constructive feedback in regard to the team and suggestions of ways in which I can improve the teams synergy overall. Thanks!

Import:

http://pastebin.com/Zt8RUDvs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)