Bivalve Balance

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Hello Smogon! Since Black and White is finally coming to an end, I have decided to make a Little Cup RMT seeing as I've been wasting too much of my life making LC teams; I felt I should at least share one. This did peak #1 on the ladder a while ago if anyone cares - I thought I'd mention it for people who think it matters. Also, I'm not sure how active I'm going to be during XY LC so this may or may not be a retiring RMT... we'll see.

The basic principle of this team was to create the perfect conditions for Shellder to sweep late game and with this goal in mind I managed to make a reasonably solid Balance team. Here's the process I went through when building:

This was the first iteration of the team. Obviously Shellder was chosen first as that is what I was building around. Magnemite was added next since Shellder had no way of breaking past Steel-types as I was only running Ice/Rock coverage. Next up was Ferroseed - I was looking really weak to Chinchou and I wanted Spikes to help wear down Mienfoo and other Fighting-types. Misdreavus provided me with support in the form of early/mid game sweeping and Spinblocking. Timburr and Murkrow were the final glue members, Timburr helping with Scraggy and Misdreavus and Murkrow helping with Misdreavus, Timburr and Croagunk.

My team lacked a solid switch in to Croagunk and Timburr especially since Murkrow had no Rapid Spin support. Larvesta also gave trouble to this team as nothing could switch into Flare Blitz except Shellder who I always wanted to save till late game. I changed Misdreavus to Frillish to help me check these threats. However I found I really missed the support that Misdreavus gave so I ended up reintroducing it in place of Murkrow.

Now the Pokemon in more detail:

Shellder @ Eviolite
Ability: Skill Link
Level: 5
EVs: 36 HP / 156 Atk / 36 Def / 76 SDef / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Ice Shard

I'm going to write about the star of the team first although there isn't masses to say about it. As with all late game sweepers, the basic idea is to wait until its checks and counters have been removed, find an opportune moment to set up and then proceed to sweep. Most of the time I aim to set up on physical attackers as Shellder's physical bulk is really great. I partially wanted to use Shellder as common Pokemon such as Mold Breaker Drilbur, SubRoost Murkrow and Scarf Snover provide it with plenty of opportunities to set up. Ice Shard is chosen over Hydro Pump as Magnemite takes out any Steel-types I can't deal with and Ice Shard gets past Sucker Punch and Sand Rush Drilbur (as long as they are slightly weakened already).

Misdreavus @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 240 SAtk / 240 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Thunderbolt

As stated in my teambuilding section, Misdreavus's role on the team is to be an early to mid game sweeper to weaken Shellder's checks and counters. This is why I'm using a Life Orb set as it really helps to dent holes in many things, Porygon and Timburr in particular, who both need to be weakened if Shellder is to sweep. LO Hidden Power does a minimum of 50% on Calm Porygon with the standard 76 EVs. This means I can hit it on the switch in, then I can use Substitute again if I think the opponent will switch out or just KO it. It can't do masses to Timburr but it can always weaken it enough for Shellder to sweep later on. Thunderbolt is a good choice as people might be tempted to switch to Murkrow if they realise their Porygon is about to be KOd, but Misdreavus has lots of options for last slot including Nasty Plot, Destiny Bond and Psychic.

Magnemite @ Eviolite
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 156 HP / 36 Def / 160 SAtk / 76 SDef / 80 Spd
Modest Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Magnemite is one of my absolute favourite Pokemon to use in LC and is a staple on many teams of mine. With its massive attack and Volt Switch, it can really run rings round teams that don't have Chinchou. Even Ground-types aren't safe from Magnemite as I can just Magnet Rise on Hippopotas, and Drilbur hates switching in as it has to risk taking large amounts of damage from Flash Cannon. Of course, Magnemite's main role on the team is to remove Steel-types, allowing Shellder to sweep. Hidden Power Fire is the obvious choice for hitting Ferroseed and Bronzor. The only thing not standard about this set is the Speed Creep EVs. This is simply so I can beat all opposing Magnemite one on one unless they carry Hidden Power Ground. Magnemite is also my best switch in to the common threats Snover and SubRoost Murkrow.

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 164 HP / 188 Def / 148 SDef
Careful Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Spikes

Ferroseed's main role on the team is spike-stacking. Due to my 2 ghosts, they can almost never be spun away. 3 layers gives me a guaranteed KO on Timburr and ResTalk Chinchou with Shellder, although in general I'll only need one or two as they'll rarely be at full health. It also has a chance to KO Mienfoo after 3 layers but generally I'll wait till Mienfoo has been weakened a bit more before attempting a sweep with Shellder. Besides spike-stacking, Ferroseed is my main switch-in to most water-types including Chinchou, Tirtouga, Shellder and Clamperl who all struggle to break past him. Ferroseed is also my best switch-in to Porygon if I want to keep Timburr healthy as Porygon provides easy set up bait for Spikes and Leech Seed. Leech Seed is a great move to keep healthy and add passive damage to Pokemon like Mienfoo and Timburr.

Frillish @ Eviolite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Surf
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Frillish is my main SpinBlocker since Misdreavus is a Life Orb variant. It's also a great switch in to the Fighting- and Fire-types of Little Cup. Cursed Body is a fantastic ability when paired with Recover as it can force Staryu out once Thunderbolt is disabled. The moveset itself is really straightforward, there's really not a lot of explaining to be done. The Sassy nature is to make sure Timburr's Payback only has 50 Base Power, I suppose if you're more worried about speed creeping you can run less IVs as well.

Timburr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 236 SDef
Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Payback
- Mach Punch

Timburr is basically a glue Pokemon, giving me a check to Misdreavus, Scraggy and many weakened sweepers thanks to Mach Punch. As you can see, I opted not to run Bulk Up simply because I was never using it. Instead I chose to run Ice Punch for those pesky Foongus switch-ins. Thanks to my +Atk Nature, Timburr has a 99.61% chance to 2HKO Foongus after one layer of spikes. Although Foongus isn't a massive threat to my team, none of my team members enjoy switching into it; if I can remove it early on or just discourage it from switching in, it's very useful. Another great thing about running Ice Punch is if I reveal it people tend to assume I'm not running Payback and believe Misdreavus to be a safe switch in. Brave is to outslow standard Frillish whilst still outspeeding standard Foongus.

So that's the team. It has its problems of course, most notably Mixkrow and Nasty Plot Misdreavus being massive bitches. However Nasty Plot Misdreavus can be played around and Mixkrow dies fast to recoil. I can generally switch around a bit until I can kill it with Ice Shard and Mach Punch. I believe this team really helped me improve my battling skills as well, as it made me think a lot more about my path to victory at the beginning of the game and making game plans of how to achieve that.

Shellder @ Eviolite
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 36 HP / 156 Atk / 36 Def / 76 SDef / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Ice Shard

Misdreavus @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 240 SAtk / 240 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Substitute

Magnemite @ Eviolite
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 156 HP / 36 Def / 160 SAtk / 76 SDef / 80 Spd
Modest Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 164 HP / 188 Def / 148 SDef
Careful Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Spikes

Frillish @ Eviolite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Surf
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Timburr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 236 SDef
Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Payback
- Mach Punch

As I said earlier, I will probably be less active with playing mons and posting on the forums from now on so I'd like to do some shoutouts to basically everyone on #littlecup and #dogbirds including The_Unlucky_One, Superpowerdude, Cxinlee, Apt-Get, Chieliee, Charmander, Kingmidas, cbt, Hulavuta, Don Honchkrorleone, Snaquaza Nozzle, Dcae, Electrolyte, iss, Blara and more I've probably forgotten loads, sorry.

edit: yeah, i never quit. get over it.

Last edited:

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
U forgot me proly just cuz u critted my frillish twice wen I was aboot to win screw dis team.
All past encounters aside, there's only one problem for this team that I see atm, which is timburr, who can take out just about every poke on your team if it gets to +1, and pretty much GG If you let it get to >+1. I'm sure you're aware of this already though, so I'll get to the point. I'd recommend as you said in your description to use psychic>substitute. This is personal preference from experience, so this isn't completely needed. The reason for this is just for the facts that 1. Sub+LO dmg is self explanatory
2. If you are not already in on a timburr when he's sent out, timburr will jut continually break the sub until the switch is forced
This change isn't necessary, but I'd recommend it. The shock factor also helps when your opponent's mienfoo takes 80-100%, potentially taking it out earlier in the match, and the same case with timburr, except it won't be OHKO'd by it.
Smaller threats and nitpicks:
Scraggy. +1 scraggy can plow through your team if timburr is gone. Don't let timburr die. Sidenote: scarf scrag does an even bigger number to your team
MixOpBird: mixkrow is a threat to every team. Espescially if you lose timburr and shell.
Ending: finally some truly great LC teams showing up here. I may post mine (which is OK I guess) here soon. I should've beat you ;_; hax>frillish>shellder

It’s pretty sad you’re leaving L

Scarf Magnemite is really annoying to your team. It stops Misdreavus and Shellder from sweeping, HP Fire for Ferroseed, beats Magnemite 1vs1 (It’s always going to be Volt Switching so I doubt you’ll be able to catch it), and pivots out before Timburr can touch it.

Secondly, Scraggy is definitely a threat. Timburr is extremely easy to wear down and when slightly weakened it can DD and sweep with some Moxie boosts.

Misdreavus can set up and sweep. If Timburr is slightly weakened, Misdreavus can set up some Nasty Plots and sweep.

Basically to sum it up your team is weak to a well played Hyper Offense.

Thus you might want to switch LO Missy->Scarf Missy to revenge kill Scraggy, Misdreavus, Scarf Magnemite, and other random smashers. Scarf Misdreavus is very helpful if something goes on the counter and attempts to sweep to gain back the momentum.

Yeah it’s a pretty short rate and a rather minor suggestion, but I hope you like it!

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
GlassGlaceon, Timburr is pretty much stopped cold by Frillish. Since I run a -spe nature, Payback at +1 will do 40% and cursed body will eventually force it to switch out. As I said, you can even run -Spe IVs if you're worried about Speed Creep. I'd also rather run Psychic over Thunderbolt since Substitute is generally useful against things like Foongus. I know LO gets worn down quickly but I don't really play Missy as if I need to keep it around. I already have Frillish as a defensive ghost.

Also, I'm aware that Scraggy and Misdreavus are really threatening, I do try to keep Timburr as healthy as possible if facing these threats. Scarf Magnemite can be annoying though if I do manage to trap it, it's not an issue. Bulky Magnemite takes a hit, then OHKOs back, meaning I can sometimes trade sacking my Ferro for their Magnemite. Scarf Misdreavus is actually a really nice suggestion though, cxinlee. Smashers don't worry me too much, but it might take away the strain of teams that carry both Missy and Scraggy. I will almost definitely miss the wall-breaking power of LO though. Would try it out but lazy...

Thanks for the rate guys :) (sorry I forgot you glass, it's because you don't go on irc much :pirate:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)