ORAS OU Best Of You

Best Of You

Introduction:

Hey Smogon! It has been some time since I posted something here, mainly due to the fact that I finally took some courage and started playing tours.

During the OLT, I started to work a lot to improve my Team Building because, in my opinion, that’s one of the main skills and one that can make a player do well in tournaments, specially here that the competitive level is so high. And since then I’ve been trying to do my best to learn more and more about ORAS OU everyday, and this team is the result of such dedication.

This is, like many others nowadays, a Bulky Offense team that focus on doing a lot of damage while being able to tank hits and deal with the main threats we have in this tier.​

Teambuilding Process:

The team started with a Mega that I really liked in XY and that annoyed a lot of people during the early stages of the metagame due to its ability to tank almost every hit: Mega Venusaur. Unfortunelly, he fell from grace in ORAS due to the introduction of Mega Metagross and Mega Gallade

Since I already chose to make a team with Mega Venusaur as one of the stars, I had to pick things that could both take care of Mega Venusaur’s threats and, of course, contribute to the team in a general. A really hard job, but after some searchs I came up with 3 quite interesting ‘mons: Rhyperior, Clefable and Suicune. Rhyperior acts as a response to Mega Charizard X and also Flying-spam, be it Talonflame or Mega Pinsir. Clefable counters Fight and Dragon-spam, being the team main answer to the likes of Mega Loppuny, Mega Gallade, Lati@s and many others, while also bringing Wish and Heal Bell support. Suicune makes it appearance to deal with Mega Scizor and Mega Metagross, both being two very annoying ‘mons that would without a double be a pain to deal with.

Three things bothered me a lot at this point: the lack of speed, my win condition not being much reliable and the lack of any form of Hazard Control. Due to those points, I decided to add Latios and Hawlucha: the former bringing Defog, Speed and a high Special Attack, and the latter acting as a late game sweeper while also giving me better answers to Bisharp and Tyranitar. And, finally, the team was finished!

Individual Analysis:

Venusaur (M) @ Venusaurite

Trait: Overgrow

EVs: 192 HP / 56 Def / 252 SAtk / 8 SDef

IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd

Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Giga Drain

- Sludge Bomb

- Hidden Power [Fire]

- Synthesis
Venusaur is the reason the team was built. He has an important job here, acting as both a tank and quite a heavy hitter thanks to his great typing that makes he able to switch into a lot of common ‘mons we see in ORAS. He’s the team main answer against Mega Diancie and other Fairy-types, Toxic Spikes (which can be annoying to deal with as it disrupts my defensive backbone), and Electric-types in general, such as Rotom-W, Mega Manectric, Raikou and Thundurus-I.

In short, Venusaur’s main job is checking some of the most used ‘mons in this meta while also, with a offensive spread, being able to deal a lot of damage weakening anything that may want to switch in, something that the rest of the team really appreciates.

Rhyperior (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Solid Rock

EVs: 212 HP / 68 Atk / 228 Def

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Stealth Rock

- Earthquake

- Rock Blast

- Fire Punch
Rhyperior is the Stealth Rock setter and the answer to Flying spam, and also a solid check to Mega Charizard X and Volturn, but take care of the latter due to the fact that most Volt Switch users have coverage against Ground, like Hydro Pump Rotom-W or HP Ice Mega Manectric and Raikou.

Stealth Rock needs no explanation, but in case you don’t know what it does, it deals damage on switch based on the resistance (or weakness) to Rock-type, and the cumulative damage it gives is often enough to assure OHKOs later, also it limits the number of switches of Volcarona, an underrated threat that can be a nightmare to this team even after a single Quiver Dance. Earthquake is his main STAB and the move you’ll use the most due to its amazing coverage. Rock Blast is the secondary STAB and the reason why Rhyperior is a solid Flying spam answer. Fire Punch is the last move and is used here to help against Ferrothorn, who the team struggles against.

Suicune @ Leftovers

Trait: Pressure

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef

IVs: 0 Atk

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Calm Mind

- Rest

- Sleep Talk

- Scald​

Suicune, as already said, makes its appearance as the team’s main way to deal with Mega Metagross and Mega Scizor. As if that wasn’t enough, thanks to its enormous bulk he’s also able to tank some neutral hits, specially Fight and Flying, greatly lessening the stress under Rhyperior and Clefable’s shoulders. And, just like Mega Venusaur, Suicune acts as both something able to tank hits and able to deal damage, being one of this team’s win conditions in the form of Crocune.

This moveset is a trademark, used since the days of ADV: Crocune. Calm Mind buffs his SAtk and SDef, increasing both his defensive and offensive capacity. Rest heals Suicune ensuring that he will (almost) never die, while Sleep Talk is used over Roar to alleviate Suicune tendency to give free turns to the opponent. And finally Scald as the STAB of choice, used later in the game after some boosts to sweep and in early stages to spread burn, which in tandem with Stealth Rock can do a lot of passive damage really fast.

Hawlucha (M) @ Sitrus Berry

Trait: Unburden

EVs: 44 HP / 248 Atk / 12 Def / 204 Spd

Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Swords Dance

- Substitute

- Acrobatics

- High Jump Kick

Hawlucha was added as a secondary and more offensive Win Condition, usually being used only in the late game after the rest of the team has already punched some holes. But that doesn’t means he can’t be used early on: if you think you can use something as a Setup Bait, even in mid game, and is confident that Hawlucha can sweep, go for it!

Swords Dance boosts Hawlucha’s attack, making him a fearsome sweeper after Unburden. Substitute is used to both protect you against Status and to consume Sitrus Berry, activating Unburden. Acrobatics and High Jump Kick are its STABs, both having a lot of base power. HJK can be spammed early, specially if the opponent has Bisharp or Tyranitar on the field, while Acrobatics is the move you’ll use the most after Unburden has been activated.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb

Trait: Levitate

EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Draco Meteor

- Psyshock

- Defog

- Recover
Latios is the the answer to Mega Charizard Y and Keldeo, while also bringing to the team some important Speed and the always welcome Defog, helping against teams that rely on Hazard stack. He’s often used alongside Mega Venusaur in the mid game to deal damage, paving the way to a Hawlucha sweep in the late game.

Again, standard move set: Draco Meteor is his Dragon STAB, which deals a lot of damage even against ‘mons that resist it, thanks to the Life Orb boost and its high Base Power. Psyshock is a more spammable option with no drawbacks, which is often used to kill Keldeo or something that has already been weakened. Defog is maybe the reason why I chose Latios, as it removes all the hazards on the field increasing the number of switches my team can do in the match, while Recover is used over coverage to make him live longer, thus allowing me to have a consistent check to Zard Y and Keldeo almost the whole game.

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers

Trait: Unaware

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Moonblast

- Wish

- Protect

- Heal Bell

Clefable is used to tank Fight and Dragon hits, which would be annoying to deal otherwise. Also brings me a switch to things like Mega Loppuny, Mega Gallade, Lati@s and a stop to Setuppers thanks to Unaware. Also he’s responsible to keep the team healthy along the game, thanks to its access to Wish and Heal Bell. All in all, the support version of Clefable is often overlooked due to its CM set, but having a single mon that’s able to stop Setuppers, can Wish Pass, cure status and deal with the two most strong types of the game, Fight and Dragon, can be really helpful in a lot of scenarios.

Wish is used to keep the team with healthy, something very valuable to a Bulky Offense. Protect guarantees that Clefable can heal itself if needed, and also used to try and scout which move the opponent will use. Heal Bell heals status, specially Suicune after Rest and Latios after being burnt by Scald (which happens really often!). Moonblast nails the coffin by being the offensive STAB of choice, with a sweet chance to drop the target’s Special Attack.

Threat List:

: You need to keep SR up as much as possible and try not to give free turns for him to Quiver Dance.

: Almost impossible to deal with. Everytime it enters, you’ll have to sack something. Try to keep it off the field as much as possible.

: he same as Mega Gardevoir, but at least Suicune can try tanking some hits. You’ll usually have to gamble on a tie with Latios.

: If he’s the Iron Head set, you’ll lose a mon everytime you switch. Fortunelly he’s SR weak and outspeeded by both Latios and Hawlucha.

Venusaur (M) @ Venusaurite

Trait: Overgrow

EVs: 196 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 56 Spd

IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd

Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Giga Drain

- Sludge Bomb

- Hidden Power [Fire]

- Synthesis

Rhyperior (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Solid Rock

EVs: 212 HP / 68 Atk / 228 Def

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Stealth Rock

- Earthquake

- Rock Blast

- Fire Punch

Suicune @ Leftovers

Trait: Pressure

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Calm Mind

- Rest

- Sleep Talk

- Scald

Hawlucha (M) @ Sitrus Berry

Trait: Unburden

EVs: 44 HP / 248 Atk / 12 Def / 204 Spd

Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Swords Dance

- Substitute

- Acrobatics

- High Jump Kick

Latios (M) @ Life Orb

Trait: Levitate

EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Draco Meteor

- Psyshock

- Defog

- Recover

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers

Trait: Unaware

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Moonblast

- Wish

- Protect

- Heal Bell

Last edited:
yo very nice team. i recommend u run 64 speed on mega ven so u outspeed the landorus-therians that run just enough speed to outspeed rotom-w who run enough speed to outspeed jolly max speed azumarill heres the set
Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

this can get catch some rotom-w off guard thinking they can volt switch for some chip dmg since they think there faster. also if ven gets 2 weak u dont have to wrk bout defensive lando t picking u off as u will outspeed and can either giga drain or synthesis. max spa of to do as much dmg as possible and the rest is dumped into hp to sponge hits better

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)