Bad Luck You've Had So Far

I was using Mach Punch, so yes, 100% accuracy. I realized with your response that yes, in one turn, I had a 22.5% chance to hit and 67.5% chance to not hit the opponent.

We didn't account for 10 straight turns of this yet.
.675 * 10 ~ .02
So I had about a 2% chance of not hitting for 10 turns. So it was pretty bad luck.
It's a 77.5% chance of missing, not 67.5%.

So 0.775 ^ 10 ~= 0.078. It's still extremely bad (around a 92% chance of hitting at least once) but not that bad :P

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Just won the number 1 prize at a 5 star lottery stall

...it was Gold Rush :psysad:
For those who don't get why this hurts, Gold Rush just gives you a Big Nugget for winning 1st. Had it been "Treasure Hunt" it would have been a Golden Bottle Cap or if it was "Big Dreams" it would have been a Master Ball. *Looks at the GBC and Master Ball and looks at the Big Nugget* How in anyway a Big Nugget equivalent to the other two? If they wanted it to be money fodder award the Relic Crown you can then sell to an Item Maniac or just give 300k money.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I don't always have bad luck in Pokémon but when I do, it's usually not from using old meme references but rather because of one of the following things.

1. Evasion spam (Double Team and Minimize have always been annoying in-game)
2. Sleep & Freeze (Sleep is rare and Freeze is super rare, but it's happened before)
3. Bad Abilities when catching Pokémon (Hustle, Rivalry, and there's probably a ton of others)
4. Game Corner and/or Voltorb Flip (self explanatory)

5. There's this one Pokémon in particular that I actually really like for its design, unique typing, and style but absolutely HATE seeing at the same time because of the memories I have struggling against them. I wasn't downright afraid of many things growing up (I hated loud noises and thunder as a kid, and I still get nervous around crowds for some reason), but it eventually got to the point where I was having so much bad luck and stressful memories of battling just this one species of Pokémon that I actually self diagnosed myself with a phobia of the darn thing at one point. True story. I'm telling you, that thing is basically my mortal enemy. That's why point number 5 is so long...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
5. There's this one Pokémon in particular that I actually really like for its design, unique typing, and style but absolutely HATE seeing at the same time because of the memories I have struggling against them. I wasn't downright afraid of many things growing up (I hated loud noises and thunder as a kid, and I still get nervous around crowds for some reason), but it eventually got to the point where I was having so much bad luck and stressful memories of battling just this one species of Pokémon that I actually self diagnosed myself with a phobia of the darn thing at one point. True story. I'm telling you, that thing is basically my mortal enemy. That's why point number 5 is so long...
What Pokemon?

Playing through Ultra Moon, ran into a wild Level 18 Magby at Wela Volcano Park. What I hadn't realized until partway through this battle was that Magby has a catch rate of only 45, which is on par with the box legendaries for the past three generations. Anyways, I get it down to red health (about 15-18% I think) and paralyzed with my Pikachu. I throw a Poke Ball. It breaks out. No big deal, I'll just switch to chucking a Great Ball at it. It broke out of that one too. In total, I used one Poke Ball, my only Ultra Ball, and eight Great Balls on a red-health, paralyzed Magby before I caught it on the eighth one. I used the Dragonfly Cave calculator afterwards to figure out my approximate odds of this happening, and here's what I found:

- One Poke Ball had about a 33.5% chance of catching, so a 66.5% chance of it failing. No biggie.
- One Great Ball had about a 45.5% chance of catching, so a 54.5% chance of failing.
- The Ultra Ball had a 56.4% chance of catching, so 43.6% chance of failing.

Multiplying the odds of one Poke Ball miss, one Ultra Ball miss, seven Great Ball misses and one Great Ball successful catch together, the odds of this exact sequence happening were about 0.19%. Honestly, considering its box-legendary catch rate, I'm not too mad about this one, considering the circumstances.

Later on in this run, my Torracat was switched into a trainer's Cleffa in Malie Garden. During this run, Sweet Kiss from the Cleffa hit twice (75% for each hit), Torracat hit itself both times in confusion (33% per turn), Sing hit on the first try (55%), and Fire Fang missed on the first try (5%) for about a 0.17% chance of that sequence happening.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I wanted to revisit this thread really badly, because I had the (insert obscene language here) run-in with a wild Chansey in my 100% Pearl run yesterday during a backtracking session. We need to talk about this. I'll make this quick

So I'm on Route 209 (best Sinnoh route theme, don't @ me) after getting Surf unlocked. En route to Solaceon Town after surfing around, I go around a bike ramp into tall grass because I'm too lazy to get in my Bag because Gen 4 is a slow piece of Shinx sometimes. I get an encounter and to my surprise it's a Chansey of all things which I didn't even know you could find there at the time. I didn't want to attack it because all my Pokémon would kill with any attack, but I ask myself if it could live a nerfed Shock Wave from my Luxray because of Rivalry. (I'm very overleveled btw) Due to the threat of a critical hit always being possible, I refrain from attacking it and just start spamming my 16 Great Balls at it after hitting it with a Stun Spore from my Roselia.

Now this is where things get messy.

I was worried about Chansey using Refresh to heal it's paralysis everytime it got Stun Spored, but it didn't use Refresh once the entire battle. That in and of itself is extremely rare on top of an already rare encounter, but it gets worse. I'm happy it's still paralyzed so I think I have a chance of catching it. I had 16 Great Balls, 5 Premier Balls, 3 Net Balls, and an Ultra Ball. THIS STUPID A** CHANSEY breaks out of EVERY SINGLE GREAT BALL. All 16 of them while being paralyzed the entire time. I knew the only way I could catch it was to weaken it, so I took a risk and did the Shock Wave method. IT SURVIVED, NO CRIT. So much for my Great Balls. So it's at half health roughly, and STILL hasn't used Refresh ONCE to heal Stun Spore. I throw the Premier Balls first. All five of them fail. I was getting pretty upset already, so I use the Ultra Ball to end it once and for all. It rocks 3 times and breaks out. By that point I was willing to catch it in a freaking Net Ball, but it FINALLY heals itself up as all 3 Net Balls fail. Out of Poke Balls entirely, I Soft-Resetted while rage quitting. But just to rub salt on the wound, I realized I haven't saved in about four routes worth of backtracking, including going to the Fuego Ironworks. At that point, I just shut off my 3DS entirely.

Edit To Prevent Double Post: I was trying to catch everything in the Dex as the game went on, hence the 100% run. I still needed Chansey as I was going to wait on hatching the free Happiny egg and evolving that. Again, I didn't know these were in the wild. I don't think I've ever been this mad at a Pokémon in years. F*** Chansey, man. Took me hours today to reclaim this b****. And this time I refused to take no for an answer.

Edit #2: I said "today" because I stayed up till like 2 in the morning (Eastern time).

#F***Chansey

Last edited:
I wanted to revisit this thread really badly, because I had the (insert obscene language here) run-in with a wild Chansey in my 100% Pearl run yesterday during a backtracking session. We need to talk about this. I'll make this quick

So I'm on Route 209 (best Sinnoh route theme, don't @ me) after getting Surf unlocked. En route to Solaceon Town after surfing around, I go around a bike ramp into tall grass because I'm too lazy to get in my Bag because Gen 4 is a slow piece of Shinx sometimes. I get an encounter and to my surprise it's a Chansey of all things which I didn't even know you could find there at the time. I didn't want to attack it because all my Pokémon would kill with any attack, but I ask myself if it could live a nerfed Shock Wave from my Luxray because of Rivalry. (I'm very overleveled btw) Due to the threat of a critical hit always being possible, I refrain from attacking it and just start spamming my 16 Great Balls at it after hitting it with a Stun Spore from my Roselia.

Now this is where things get messy.

I was worried about Chansey using Refresh to heal it's paralysis everytime it got Stun Spored, but it didn't use Refresh once the entire battle. That in and of itself is extremely rare on top of an already rare encounter, but it gets worse. I'm happy it's still paralyzed so I think I have a chance of catching it. I had 16 Great Balls, 5 Premier Balls, 3 Net Balls, and an Ultra Ball. THIS STUPID A** CHANSEY breaks out of EVERY SINGLE GREAT BALL. All 16 of them while being paralyzed the entire time. I knew the only way I could catch it was to weaken it, so I took a risk and did the Shock Wave method. IT SURVIVED, NO CRIT. So much for my Great Balls. So it's at half health roughly, and STILL hasn't used Refresh ONCE to heal Stun Spore. I throw the Premier Balls first. All five of them fail. I was getting pretty upset already, so I use the Ultra Ball to end it once and for all. It rocks 3 times and breaks out. By that point I was willing to catch it in a freaking Net Ball, but it FINALLY heals itself up as all 3 Net Balls fail. Out of Poke Balls entirely, I Soft-Resetted while rage quitting. But just to rub salt on the wound, I realized I haven't saved in about four routes worth of backtracking, including going to the Fuego Ironworks. At that point, I just shut off my 3DS entirely.

Edit To Prevent Double Post: I was trying to catch everything in the Dex as the game went on, hence the 100% run. I still needed Chansey as I was going to wait on hatching the free Happiny egg and evolving that. Again, I didn't know these were in the wild. I don't think I've ever been this mad at a Pokémon in years. F*** Chansey, man. Took me hours today to reclaim this b****. And this time I refused to take no for an answer.

#F***Chansey
To be fair, Chansey has a low catch rate of 30, so not as bad of luck as you might think. However, still painful to lose every ball and soft reset and lose progress like that. We've all been there (reminds me of trying to catch Chansey in FRLG where they flee in the Safari Zone)

Searching for a Chansey in Poni Plains to level-grind. Ran into eleven Petilil in a row before getting a Chansey - at 50% chance for Petilil, it’s a 1/2048 chance of getting 11 consecutively.

Later missed Rock Slide with my Aerodactyl three times in a row against a wild Blissey, which was another 1/1000 chance.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Been playing Shield and I swear to god every time I have fought Marnie her Morpeko has always managed to paralyze one of my Pokemon with the first Spark it uses. This also happened in the Hop battle where he uses a Boltund with Spark. By the time this happened in the Champion Cup battle against Marnie I was seriously wondering if the paralysis rate for the move had gone up.

Been playing Shield and I swear to god every time I have fought Marnie her Morpeko has always managed to paralyze one of my Pokemon with the first Spark it uses. This also happened in the Hop battle where he uses a Boltund with Spark. By the time this happened in the Champion Cup battle against Marnie I was seriously wondering if the paralysis rate for the move had gone up.
Paralysis is the absolute worst in this game.

What's the probability of 3 Blizzard launched by Abomasnow to freeze 3 Pokemon in a row? Less than 0.5%?
And my opponent says gg that's not a good game for me

Currently having horrible luck breeding for a 6IV Remoraid with its Moody HA. While currently breeding a Living Dex, I'm also going through a HA 6IV collection at the same time.

While the frustration is pushing me to the point of giving up, as it's also been nearing 5 days thus far, I'm still enjoying the journey. I know I'll have it eventually.

Every Pokémon also has a specially selected ball along with 4 Egg Moves of my choosing. Yes, I've spent several years doing this as it's still going to be a while till I get to Alola and Galar dexes. Finished both Ultra Sun and Shield too, btw...

Still playing Pokémon Y too, btw...

Last edited:
Additionally, I did manage to hatch 2 6IV Remoraids with the Hustle ability. I can always send one of them over to my Shield game and use an Ability Patch but I want to hatch the old fashioned way for the moment...

Last edited:
In my Alpha Sapphire Nuzlocke, I had a hard time finding a Lunatone (I'm using dupes clause, and it was the only Pokémon in Meteor Falls I hadn't already caught) and an even harder time catching it. It had a -special attack nature. Then, it died in the Lavaridge Gym along with two other Pokémon, and now I'm stuck with a Grass-type, a Wynaut egg that's going to take forever to hatch, and Cosplay Pikachu.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Tried to get a Rock Head Bonsly in Pearl for Wood Hammer and got Sturdy like 6 times in a row. Pain.
Ugh, reminds me all the times I kept having to reset after catching a Legendary because the game absolutely refused to give me a good nature. I think I had to spend two days on one of the Tapus (think it was either Lele and Fini).

I'm doing the Ribbon master challenge with a shiny Staraptor from Poke Radar chaining and I challenged myself to finish gens 4-7 before BDSP comes out. I was doing the Battle Frontier facilities so I could grind BP for TMs/Move Tutor moves for the Tower ribbons. I lost in the Battle Arcade on the fourth round (Shortly after the first Dahlia fight) because I got a Lagging Tail after landing on an item square and landed on both the "One of your Pokemon freezed" and "One of your Pokemon falls asleep" squares within the next three or four battles in that round.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)