Attack is the Best Form of Defence

Hello lovely people of Smogon. I have been an avid lurker of these forums for a while and have been playing competitive Pokemon for around 3 years - but until recently, I was quite bad. I'm not exactly brilliant now, but I feel that I understand a lot more now and have a team to share with you. This peaked at about 160th on the Pokemon Online XY OU ladder.

AT A GLANCE

Code:
Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Hydro Pump
- U-turn

Gengar (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Substitute
- Disable

Hawlucha (M) @ Power Herb
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Sky Attack
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick

Gyarados (M) @ Gyaradosite
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 172 HP / 216 Atk / 120 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall

Excadrill (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Mold Breaker
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Bisharp (F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Defiant
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Greninja:
252 Sp.A, 252 Spe, 4 Att
Naive
Protean
Life Orb
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- U-Turn

By now, everyone who has played any form of OU knows about this guy. I chose him because I felt I needed a powerful Ice attack in the team, as well as some general special presence. Grass Knot is a great move to surprise many Pokemon who think they can wall Greninja's normal two moves. U-Turn allows it to escape when things aren't in it's favour, and with it's terrific speed it will nearly always get out in time. He is incredibly frail however, which is a shame, as his typing is very useful. Still, Greninja is a very useful member of the team, though he/she rarely gets to see the end of a battle.

Gyarados
216 Att, 172 HP, 120 Spe
Jolly
Intimidate (Mold Breaker)
Gyaradosite
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
At first glance, there doesn't seem to be much reason to use MegaGyarados when the normal forme is so good. However, Water/Dark is a good defensive typing that can ruin some Pokemon's effectiveness against you. Gengar and Aegislash both struggle against MegaDos, as he takes a Shadow Ball before setting up in their face. Mega-Evolving immediately is not always the best option, though. Timing can be key - predict well, and you can get a free turn, or survive a hit you wouldn't normally. My favourite is luring in Rotom-W before blasting it with Mold Breaker Earthquake. Gyarados set's up easily but does have trouble with sweeping, as Water/Ground doesn't cover every typing, and with only one Dragon Dance it can't muscle past walls, so Substitute can be handy for wall-breaking, or just easing prediction. The EV spread is unorthodox, but I didn't want to waste MegaDos' bulk, so put some EV's into HP.

Hawlucha
252 Att, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Adamant
Unburden
Power Herb
- Swords Dance
- Sky Attack
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
If Flying Gems were available, I'm not sure this set would have been thought of. However, due to the lack of gems, some clever soul came up with this idea for a set, that I liked the sound of. The premise is simple - come on on something you resist, or a wall that hates Fighting/Flying attacks (I'm looking at you, Blissey/Chansey) and set up a Swords Dance or attack with Sky Attack, if you need the speed boost more. The best scenario is both, of course, leaving you with 622 attack and 670 speed. Flying/Fighting has amazing coverage, so Hawlucha can often sweep late game if it gets a boost.

Gengar
252 Sp.A, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Timid
Levitate
Black Sludge
- Shadow Ball
- Disable
- Substitute
- Dazzling Gleam
Ghost's buff this gen has made Gengar an even more frightening prospect. I chose the SubDisable set as it completely screws over so many Pokemon, allowing Gengar to fire off Shadow Balls off his monstrous Special Attack stat. Mandibuzz can do a lot to stop this team, but after Gengar disables his Foul Play, Gengar can hit him with Dazzling Gleams until he dies, or switches. Gengar gives the team a switch in to powerful Fighting moves aimed at Excadrill and Bisharp as well as some special presence.

Excadrill
252 Att, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Adamant
Mold Breaker
Life Orb
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
Excadrill is the hazard setter, obviously. I chose him for the electric immunity, which goes well with Hawlucha and pre-Mega Gyarados, as well as powerful Earthquakes and Rapid Spin to remove hazards. I do however feel that Excadrill is the weak link. With so many defoggers around, and my team not having a problem with SR, that Rapid Spin is fairly useless. Excadrill is too slow to sweep and is easy for one of my biggest enemies, Talonflame, to switch into and wreck with Flare Blitz. For know, Excadrill's typing, access to Stealth Rock and Rotom-W (my mortal enemy) killing abilities make him a worthwhile member.

Bisharp
252 Att, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Adamant
Defiant
Lum Berry
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
Bisharp got two buffs this gen. With Dark now the only typing that resists Ghost, Bisharp gains a niche as a way to easily check Ghosts, assuming he can avoid Fighting-Type coverage moves. The other being Knock-Off becoming much more powerful, as well as keeping it's original effect that allows it to cripple walls. After just one Swords Dance boost, Knock Off can 2HKO Skarmory, crippling it also. Sucker Punch is a move that used well, wins you the game. If you can get a boost, this thing is hard to stop. Even without, Sucker Punch serves as a possible safety net or revenge-killing technique. Iron Head is basically there for secondary STAB, and doesn't see much use, but helps grab kills on fairies and Tyranitar especially.

So there you have it! This is my team. I have issues occasionally with everyone's favourite bird Talonflame, but generally this team has great synergy and hits incredibly hard. I would like some ideas on how to tweak it to make it even better. I think removing Excadrill may help, but I'm not sure how to replace him and don't want to ruin my most successful team.

Thanks in advance.

Knight of Cydonia

I COULD BE BANNED!
Did a few matches with this team and I quite like it, it has real offensive presence. There are quite a few changes I can suggest though to optimize it. First of all you should be running Dark Pulse over Grass Knot on Greninja, Rotom-w is quite annoying just now thanks to Will o wisp and Dark Pulse hits it a lot harder, it is also good for Aegislash.

I found Substitute on Gyarados to be hindering rather than helping sweeps, there are quite a few pokemon that resist Ground/Water and a lot of players will usually attack Gyarados while its setting up since since Substitute is commonly on Gyarados sets. I put Ice Fang in this slot, despite its low base power it really helps against pokemon like Trevenant/Gourgeist and the part flying type Dragons. This is mainly personal preference though, whether you want an easier time setting up or better sweeping opportunities once you have done so.

Now I reach Hawlucha and honestly the whole time I was using it I was wishing for Talonflame's priority Brave Bird for both revenge killing and sweeping. Opposing priority is everywhere just now and it really just feels inferior, Talonflame's stab coverage suits this team better as well I think. Therefore I would definitely use a Swords Dance Talonflame over Hawlucha.

Your Gengar is very useful to the team, being the main answer for Mega Kanga. I would always run Focus Blast over Dazzling Gleam since you hit Tyranitar and Heatran for a lot of damage and Dazzling Gleam is pretty weak on neutral hits.

Now for Excadrill, you mention a Talonflame weakness which is correct as it really threatens your whole team. You can try Choice Scarf on Excadrill to be able to safely revenge it along with Mega Lucario. This also helps with the fast electric types your team struggles with just now for example Thundurus can outspeed and smack you with a Focus Blast and nothing else on your team can take electric attacks. You can still spin away Stealth Rock for your team even if it is a horrible move to be locked into while also just giving you an extra safety net you currently lack without any choice scarf users. You would however need to lose Stealth Rock (theres a limit to shit moves you can use while choiced) but as you say with Defog and opposing Excadrill hazards are hard to keep down anyway so its not a big a loss as it would be last gen. The scarf will stop you getting swept by a lot of pokemon so it outweighs Stealth Rock but it isn't ideal. I can't think of a way to sort it without losing more members which is not what I want to do so maybe you can live with it.

I think Bisharp is absolutely fine, its an underatted pokemon what with Sticky Web, Intimidate and Defog users being common just now and the move set is good.

That's the best I can come up with just now, hopefully at least some of the changes are helpful. Have fun with the team.

Talonflame (M) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 164 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Excadrill (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Did a few matches with this team and I quite like it, it has real offensive presence. There are quite a few changes I can suggest though to optimize it. First of all you should be running Dark Pulse over Grass Knot on Greninja, Rotom-w is quite annoying just now thanks to Will o wisp and Dark Pulse hits it a lot harder, it is also good for Aegislash.
Hmm. I'm not sure on that one. Whilst that makes a lot of sense, Grass Knot does a lot to many other bulky waters, such as Slowbro and Jellicent, as well as Gastrodon and Quagsire, who are hard for other members of my team to get past.

I found Substitute on Gyarados to be hindering rather than helping sweeps, there are quite a few pokemon that resist Ground/Water and a lot of players will usually attack Gyarados while its setting up since since Substitute is commonly on Gyarados sets. I put Ice Fang in this slot, despite its low base power it really helps against pokemon like Trevenant/Gourgeist and the part flying type Dragons. This is mainly personal preference though, whether you want an easier time setting up or better sweeping opportunities once you have done so.
I have felt the same actually. That sounds like a positive change. Substitute can be very handy but the extra coverage might just help.

Now I reach Hawlucha and honestly the whole time I was using it I was wishing for Talonflame's priority Brave Bird for both revenge killing and sweeping. Opposing priority is everywhere just now and it really just feels inferior, Talonflame's stab coverage suits this team better as well I think. Therefore I would definitely use a Swords Dance Talonflame over Hawlucha.
I prefer Hawlucha for a couple of reasons. Better defensive typing and resistance to Stealth Rock is ideal. Also, every team carries a Talonflame counter (except mine, apparently) whereas Hawlucha destroys most Talonflame counters (High Jump Kick murders Tyranitar and does a lot to Rotom-W). Thanks for the advice though.

Your Gengar is very useful to the team, being the main answer for Mega Kanga. I would always run Focus Blast over Dazzling Gleam since you hit Tyranitar and Heatran for a lot of damage and Dazzling Gleam is pretty weak on neutral hits.
Actually this makes sense, I might switch to this. Dazzling Gleam is mostly there for Mandibuzz but it's a 3HKO at best anyway. Though the 2/3HKO on Dragonite is nice, I think Focus Miss might work.

Now for Excadrill, you mention a Talonflame weakness which is correct as it really threatens your whole team. You can try Choice Scarf on Excadrill to be able to safely revenge it along with Mega Lucario. This also helps with the fast electric types your team struggles with just now for example Thundurus can outspeed and smack you with a Focus Blast and nothing else on your team can take electric attacks. You can still spin away Stealth Rock for your team even if it is a horrible move to be locked into while also just giving you an extra safety net you currently lack without any choice scarf users. You would however need to lose Stealth Rock (theres a limit to shit moves you can use while choiced) but as you say with Defog and opposing Excadrill hazards are hard to keep down anyway so its not a big a loss as it would be last gen. The scarf will stop you getting swept by a lot of pokemon so it outweighs Stealth Rock but it isn't ideal. I can't think of a way to sort it without losing more members which is not what I want to do so maybe you can live with it.
Yeah that makes sense. Might rock with that. Thanks.

I think Bisharp is absolutely fine, its an underatted pokemon what with Sticky Web, Intimidate and Defog users being common just now and the move set is good.

That's the best I can come up with just now, hopefully at least some of the changes are helpful. Have fun with the team.

Talonflame (M) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 164 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Excadrill (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
Thanks very much for your help.

I've been playing with ScarfDrill which I think is a positive change, so many thanks to Knight of Cydonia.

Ice Fang Gyarados has also been a success, thanks. Just wish he got crunch!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)