SM OU Amoonguss Stall [peak ~1700]

I got stuck at about 1700 on the ladder with this team, settling around the mid 1600s. I'm looking for some advice on how to improve it, be it by changing a few moves or swapping out some Pokemon. I'll go through the teambuilding process so you can best understand the team.

Amoonguss @ Chilan Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain
- Toxic

This is the Pokemon I centered my team around (I.e it inspired the team). Initially, it was meant to be a cm Magearna check, but it can't wear it down before Magearna boosts enough to muscle through. That said, Amoonguss was also chosen to check Kartana, Tapu Fini, Tapu Bulu, physical Tapu Koko, and Keldeo. Maximum defense investment allows Amoongus to better check most 'mons it needs to check. Chilian berry halves the damage of a single normal move, allowing Amoongus to check normalium Kartana.

Sludge bomb bops Bulu and Fini, and switch ins like Tornadus; giga drain provides recovery in tandem with regenerator, and hits Keldeo hard; and hidden power fire is necessary to check Kartana. I wasn't sure what to do with the 4th slot, so I just used toxic. I chose Amoongus over Venusaur-Mega because the latter does not reliably check normalium Kartana, lacks regenerator, and doesn't have access to reliable recovery (which Amoongus doesn't need because of regenerator). Additionally, I wanted to use a different Mega Pokemon...

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spite
- Recover
- Mean Look
- Protect

This set has really seen some success; unfortunately, I get too giddy to think of saving a replay. With pretty much every team I have used, I have been annoyed by Gliscor with stealth rock and toxic. Poison heal means you can't toxic stall it, and it also gives it enough passive recovery to pp stall Sableye's "normal" moves, like knock off, foul play, and even night shade. Toxic allows it to cripple would-be checks, like Zapdos and Avalugg. This is why I have devised this set. Block in tandem with spite allows you to trap and pp stall passive hazard setters like Gliscor, Ferrothorn, plume Heatran, tank Chomp, and Toxapex lacking haze (too much pp). It can also quickly pp stall choice-locked 'mons like Greninja. Speaking of which, near-max hp and the given SpD EVs allow Sableye to avoid the 2HKO from life orb protean Greninja. Four speed EVs allow Sableye to outspeed Ferrothorn lacking gyro ball. The rest of the EVs are dumped into defense with a bold nature to better take hits from Mega Medicham.

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Avalanche
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake

Every stall team needs a physically defensive hazard remover, and I decided Avalugg would be the best fit. It comfortably checks flynium Lando and dragonium Garchomp; it tanks the hits, knocks them out with avalanche, and spins their rocks away. It can even check rockium sets if sturdy is intact. Earthquake and rocky helmet allows Avalugg to check Mega Mawile fairly well, losing only if it SDs on the switch (in which case it will be weakened enough to be revenge killed). Rocky helmet also punishes Lando for using u-turn, and EQ can catch Heatran on the switch. If desperate, you can also use Avalugg to revenge kill a sweeper out of control if sturdy is intact. Avalugg also checks Mega Swampert, which is great given the surge in rain teams.

Max hp and an impish nature with the given defense EVs allow Avalugg to avoid the 2HKO from banded Crawdaunt. The rest of the EVs are dumped in SpD to better take earth power from Kyurem-Black. Avalugg is the only member on my team that can comfortably take a subzero slammer from Kyurem-Black, so I figured the EVs would be useful. I understand the "standard" set on the strategy dex uses 88 attack EVs to OHKO Mega Pinsir after it attacks, but this is irrelevant because of rocky helmet (and EQ, which doesn't make contact, does pitiful damage).

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic

Not much to say about this set, other than why I'm using it over Clefable and Pyukumuku. My team needed a check for Zard X, banded Victini, and banded Tyranitar. Maximum hp and defense with an impish nature is necessary to check banded Tyranitar. Earthquake is chosen over earth power for its overall higher damage output. Scald is used for burns, with immediate damage being secondary to this purpose. An impish nature is used over relaxed to outspeed and pick off weakened Ferrothorn, as well as the odd Mega Camerupt. Toxic allows Quag to punish switch ins and stall out the setup sweepers it checks. Aside from most physical setup sweepers and the aforementioned threats, Quag checks Mega Lopunny and Thundurus-T lacking focus blast. Additionally, Quag can revenge kill a boosted Mega Mawile weakened by Avalugg.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Def / 248 SpD
Bold Nature
- Confide
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell

Of course, Chansey is pretty much a given. It checks most Koko sets, Zard Y, and various other special wallbreakers. Because I couldn't check Magearna with Amoonguss, I gave Chansey confide, to effectively stop Magearna from setting up. It also checks other calm mind users, like Mega Lati@s and Mega Alakazam. Maximum defense with a bold nature ensures Chansey doesn't drop to weak physical attacks like u-turn and pursuit. SpD is invested instead of hp to better check special attackers like Serperior and Manaphy, as the boost in bulk from hp investment is not very noticeable on either end of the spectrum.

The team needs stealth rock and heal bell, and Chansey also needs a recovery move. This leaves Chansey without attacks, but cm users can't set up in Chansey's face because of confide. This leaves Chansey without a way of dealing with Thundurus, Manaphy, and Serperior; however, Amoongus can check the latter, and Quag can put the other two on a timer before switching to Chansey.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 80 HP / 236 SpD / 192 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog

Finally, we have Mew. It is our only defogger, which can remove Mega Diancie's rocks and Heatran's rocks. Earthquake smacks Heatran and Diancie, while doing some modicum of damage to Toxapex and Lele. The given speed EVs allow Mew to outspeed Heatran, adamant Lando, and mild Mega Garchomp. Wil-o-wisp allows Mew to cripple slower physical attackers like Tapu Bulu, Mega Mawile, Mega Heracross, and adamant Lando. More importantly, it stops Tyranitar from eliminating Mew with pursuit... 85% of the time. The given hp and SpD EVs with a careful nature allows Mew to almost always avoid the 2HKO from specs Lele's moonblast and Mega Diancie's diamond storm. It also allows Mew to better take magma storm from Heatran.

Well, that's the team. It struggles against a few things, like thunder punch Mega Medicham with Koko support, Mega Heracross, certain Manaphy sets (waterium z, energy ball + psychic / ice beam), and pressure stall from the likes of Kyurem-N and Suicune. I'm not too concerned, as some of these threats are uncommon. That said, I am looking for advice to improve the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)