Alolan Geodude, Graveler, Golem Discussion

A-Golem is way better than Kanto Golem by miles. It has a better typing than its counterpart and Galvanize is really good, but even Sturdy and Magnet Pull are interesting.
STAB Facade when statused is really scary, even though there are plenty Electric immunities.
UU material, not more.

Even though galvanise is cool aaf, but I am still not seeing it in higher tiers. Most grounds switch on it, day in/day out and suffers from the same thing golem always did, dies to most special attacks. Though it looks funny.
Btw what is that TM59, Brutal Swing?
Dark, Physical, 60 BP, hits everyone in Doubles.
Also Flygon, Claydol, Torterra
And Flygon will be EVERYWHERE now that it can D-Dance.

Still, I can see a Rock Polish Galvanize set working out pretty well, at least in UU and below. At +2 it outpaces everything up to positive Base 122 at Level 100, and speed ties positive Base 125's if you're playing at Level 50, and that's just if it's Adamant. Combined that creates a solidly speedy sweeper with amazing coverage and Base 120 Attack.

Also, I really like its beard and its traditional Chinese taser hat.

Last edited:
the beard is rocking. I do like the new typing as 5 resistances and only 4 weaknesses (and only one x 4 instead of 2) should make it a lot of fun to use in the lower tiers.

I'm surprised everyone is talking about galvanize and not what makes Magnizone so good. Magnet pull trapping steels other than skarmory and just killing them with eq.

Question, would a Normal Gem still power up explosion if A-Golem has Galvanise, or does the type change from normal to electric happen as soon as A-Golem has a normal type move?

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Question, would a Normal Gem still power up explosion if A-Golem has Galvanise, or does the type change from normal to electric happen as soon as A-Golem has a normal type move?
I don't think so, ability works first, so moves are already electric type.

I'm surprised everyone is talking about galvanize and not what makes Magnizone so good. Magnet pull trapping steels other than skarmory and just killing them with eq.
The problem is that most Steel types have so high defenses that Golem struggles to take them down.
252+ Atk Golem Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 174-206 (52 - 61.6%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Golem Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 146-174 (43.7 - 52%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Skarmory can just Roost (removing the Electric weakness) till Golem kills itself with Wild Charge recoil or Whirlwind Golem away if it runs Thunder Punch. If Skarmory carries a Rocky Helmet, then it is even worse for Golem.

Same for bulky Mega Scizor (this isn´t even taking into account the possibility of escaping with U-Turn or Superpower).
252+ Atk Golem Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Mega Scizor: 114-135 (33.2 - 39.3%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Golem Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Mega Scizor: 102-121 (29.7 - 35.2%) -- 21.8% chance to 3HKO
And Ferrothorn easily lives an Earthquake. If you want to kill Ferro and Scizor with Fire Blast, even max special attack investment only is a 2HKO, not sure if that is really worth it. Ferro 2HKOes you with Power Whip, too.

And any offensive Steel type easily crushes it with Earthquake.

I still really want to try out Magnet Pull Golem. But so far Klefki without Magnet Rise and Choice-locked Magnezone (as long as it is not locked into Flash Cannon) are the only OU Steel types it can eliminate without problems.

The problem is that most Steel types have so high defenses that Golem struggles to take them down.
252+ Atk Golem Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 174-206 (52 - 61.6%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Golem Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 146-174 (43.7 - 52%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Skarmory can just Roost (removing the Electric weakness) till Golem kills itself with Wild Charge recoil or Whirlwind Golem away if it runs Thunder Punch. If Skarmory carries a Rocky Helmet, then it is even worse for Golem.

Same for bulky Mega Scizor (this isn´t even taking into account the possibility of escaping with U-Turn or Superpower).
252+ Atk Golem Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Mega Scizor: 114-135 (33.2 - 39.3%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Golem Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Mega Scizor: 102-121 (29.7 - 35.2%) -- 21.8% chance to 3HKO
And Ferrothorn easily lives an Earthquake. If you want to kill Ferro and Scizor with Fire Blast, even max special attack investment only is a 2HKO, not sure if that is really worth it. Ferro 2HKOes you with Power Whip, too.

And any offensive Steel type easily crushes it with Earthquake.

I still really want to try out Magnet Pull Golem. But so far Klefki without Magnet Rise and Choice-locked Magnezone (as long as it is not locked into Flash Cannon) are the only OU Steel types it can eliminate without problems.
First of all, max speed Adamant Golem easily outspeeds standard Skarm, which helps with Roost shenanigans. If it's EVed to be faster than you, then yes, Roost can be a problem. Second, if I'm not mistaken, those calcs are itemless. With, say, banded Wild Charge, physically defensive Skarm is OHKOed some of the time after rocks. You also barely outspeed and 2HKO bulky Mega Scizor, and it can't really do much back given your solid defense and neutrality to Steel. So killing steels isn't exactly easy, but you're underselling it. Whether steel-trapper is Alolan Golem's best role remains to be seen. No, I don't think it'll be OU, but it may at least see some use.

252+ Atk Choice Band Golem Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 260-308 (77.8 - 92.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Golem Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Mega Scizor: 171-202 (49.8 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Golem Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 260-308 (77.8 - 92.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Golem Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Mega Scizor: 171-202 (49.8 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
I admit the calcs I used were taken straight from the Golem tank set that the calculator suggested, which is just max Attack and max HP carrying leftovers. Max speed Choice Band makes the guy look more competent than I gave him credit. I guess I wanted it to be able to set Stealth Rocks, too, which doesn´t combine well with a Choice Band.

Boys, you are forgetting it learns curse.

I would use ? HP/ 252 atk/SP DEF ?
Magnet pull

Stone Edge/ Rock Slide/ Rock blast/ thunder punch
Curse
Rest
Sleep talk

Kinda gimmick, but if you trap the right pokemon at the right time is gg.

Cool Alolan form. For sure, better than standard Golem. Rock/Electric is not great defensively, though better than Rock/Ground. People are hyped for both abilities. Boosted Electric moves for decimating bulky waters and Magnet Pull to trap some steels, most notably Skarmory. Golem will sorely miss STAB Earthquake, however. Will Weakness Policy be still viable on A-Golem? Trash speed and bad special bulk will hold A-Golem for being solid in the higher tiers. Magneton is probably better in revenge killing steels than A-Golem due to usable speed with Scarf and has a much more powerful pivot. Golem does have SR and massive Explosion going for it.

No Thunder Wave? A bit weird.

Boys, you are forgetting it learns curse.

I would use ? HP/ 252 atk/SP DEF ?
Magnet pull

Stone Edge/ Rock Slide/ Rock blast/ thunder punch
Curse
Rest
Sleep talk

Kinda gimmick, but if you trap the right pokemon at the right time is gg.
Forget about Curse, once you have eliminated the Steel pokémon, your enemy is going to switch in an Earthquake user or special attacker that kills your slow ass anyway.

But you gave me an idea: It learns Screech. One Screech (-2 defense on enemy) has the same effect as one Swords Dance, just against this one Pokémon you are trapping.
252+ Atk Golem Wild Charge vs. -2 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 348-410 (104.1 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Golem Stone Edge vs. -2 248 HP / 16+ Def Mega Scizor: 228-268 (66.4 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Looks like there is hope for my Stealth Rock + Magnet Pull Golem after all.

Forget about Curse, once you have eliminated the Steel pokémon, your enemy is going to switch in an Earthquake user or special attacker that kills your slow ass anyway.

But you gave me an idea: It learns Screech. One Screech (-2 defense on enemy) has the same effect as one Swords Dance, just against this one Pokémon you are trapping.
252+ Atk Golem Wild Charge vs. -2 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 348-410 (104.1 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Golem Stone Edge vs. -2 248 HP / 16+ Def Mega Scizor: 228-268 (66.4 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Yeah, but that is like saying belly drums azu doesn't work because rotom wash can tank it. You gotta kill or weak the rotom first as would have to eliminate the ground attackers before trying it.

Not saying it is the best set of pokemon history either, just that you can probably have fun with it in uu

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The Alolan Geodude family's stats haven't changed, just replaced its Ground-type with one of its opposites: Electric! And in doing it became magnetic, getting Magnet Pull as one of its Ability as well as gaining iron filling facial hair (plus a magnet is now sticking from Golem's back). They also got a new Ability: Galvanize, the Electric-type Aerilate (it's understandable if you were thrown off for it not ending in -ate).

Naturally they get many Electric-type moves, but most notably are Thunder Punch, Wild Charge, and Volt Switch. But if you're using Galvanize you have Double-Edge, Return, and EXPLOSION (muahaha!). I also noticed it got Magnet Rise via Egg Moves, especially helpful for that quadruple Ground-type weakness.

Alright, it's just a different Golem, though the Electric-type Explosion sound like it can be some fun when its time for Golem to go.

Nice thinking out of the box, screech is probably what will make this thing put in work.

Im trying to find some sort of way to make a magnet pull set work but gosh that is a lot of issues. outsped by scizor who simply leaves with u-turn, swept away by skarmory before any true damage is done/ stalled out by roost, smacked by a huge power whip from ferrothorn, earth powered by heatran, hammer armed by metagross, murdered by excadrill, its really brutal for alolan golem. That speed cannot be salvaged forreal. The best thing about magnet pull is it will make galvanize sets better by perhaps making some mons think they can't switch out.
The only plus I can see for a magnet pull golem is that its fire blast hits harder than magnezone's hp fire, and it also has access to earthquake- allowing it to kill non-earth power heatrans while a Firium-Z fire blast can't be dodged by a steel type and has a good chance of either ohkoing or 2hkoing the above list with 96+ spa. it also would make a good knock off switchin when holding firium-Z since it cant be knocked off and golem has good special defense. This is the only redeemable feature I could find tbh! A golem with 252 speed can juuust about creep Mega Scizor and Skarmorys and obliterate them with a Firium-Z fire blast, while a positive nature also creeps slow specially defensive heatran to ohko with earthquake. *shrug*

Golem @ Firium-Z
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 96 Atk / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock / Stone Edge / Thunder Punch
- Volt Switch / Stone Edge / Thunder Punch

160 SpA Golem Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 168-198 (50.2 - 59.2%)

160 SpA Golem Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Mega Scizor: 348-412 (101.4 - 120.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Z-move boosted to 185 BP)

96 Atk Golem Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 348-412 (90.1 - 106.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

160 SpA Golem Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 320-380 (90.9 - 107.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO (Z-move boosted to 185 BP)

160 SpA Golem Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 282-332 (104 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Z-move boosted to 185 BP)

Last edited:
Galvanize is essentially wasted here.
I wouldn't say so. The big problem with Electric Phys attackers is the lack of strong stab moves. Even A-Golem's strongest Electric stab without Galvanize is Wild Charge at 90 BP. Now it has access to either Return or Double Edge for a 132 or 160 BP Stab electric attacks, not counting Explosion shenanigans. This ability is what mons like Electrivire and Luxray needed but never got. I would say that Galvanize would be the standard ability with Magnet Pull maybe as a niche set.

This one will be a staple on Mono Electric teams, being the most viable electric physical attacker there is.
I would just go with a CB set and be done with it; also a Autotomize set could be useful, since a LO Galvanize Double Edge will hurt a lot, and you could go BOOM once you're done.

Also could try a Magnet Pull set, but Golem has no advantage against pretty much nothing you would want to trap, and Magnezone is just better in this regard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)