Pending Allow groupchats hosts to use !show (edited)

I just wanted to build off of the group chat rank suggestion yesterday; I'm suggesting to allow group chat hosts to use the !show command. I think this is reasonable enough considering globally ranked users are able to use that command in PMs, so in a way, adding this to group chats would be inheriting what global users can do in PMs anyway.

The main reason I suggest this is because most users, including myself at times, make group chats to host gaming sessions with other users/friends, and being able to use that command can allow for greater variety of mini-gaming choices. For what it is worth, this is the only feature I would like to be implemented on behalf of GC hosts (aka trusted and global users); I hope this is a reasonable enough explanation. Thanks,

Last edited:

pants

*dies inconveniently*
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Groupchats are already very difficult to moderate. Allowing most users to show images in groupchats seems pretty risky, considering anyone could !show shock images, lewd images, or spoilers.

That being said, if it’s extremely explicitly clear that the host is fully responsible for any images !shown in a chat, I’m not fully against this. I mostly just think that this potentially opens the door for a lot of things that we as a community have worked hard to crack down on, especially with the (now not so) recent groupchat changes.

tldr I’m extremely doubtful about this coming from a moderation perspective.

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
I would agree with pants, and also note that if a trusted user is not there, users would be able to go nuts with it. Not a risk I really wish to take, especially considering we cannot stop them from doing it even with a trusted user there, all we can do is react and cleanup.

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
Aren't hosts already trusted users? I don't think it's a breach to give them !show
It's not just the hosts, though. I'd worry about other users having it. If it was just hosts, perhaps. But this was suggesting both.

It's not just the hosts, though. I'd worry about other users having it. If it was just hosts, perhaps. But this was suggesting both.
I was considering to rename the thread and the suggestion as a whole to make it so that only the hosts can use !show. Then on second thought, I'm not so sure it is worth the effort if it only benefits the host. Maybe it is sufficient enough? Don't know. I can still change the proposal anytime though; I personally wouldn't mind it.

pants

*dies inconveniently*
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I’m still fairly hesitant about allowing any user to directly show an imagine in a place on the site that is unmoderated and without going through the interstice. That’s not something that anyone is capable of anywhere else on the site; the closest would be private rooms, which are still moderated better and gated to higher standards than groupchats.

edit regarding the post below: I’m not even a huge fan of !show being usable in pms, but I also believe that the gap between trusted users and global voices is quite large. This renders my argument somewhat irrelevant to the current discussion, but I do think it’s something worth addressing eventually.

Last edited:

HiZo

我が為に苦しめ。我が為に狂い泣け。我が為に死ね。
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I’m still fairly hesitant about allowing any user to directly show an imagine in a place on the site that is unmoderated and without going through the interstice.
fwiw, globally voiced users can use !show in DMs; I don't think giving hosts !show privileges would bring about the apocalypse since the recent restrictions back to exclusively trusted users. However, I definitely agree on groupchat "regs" not having access or gimped permissions wrt images. Take this as you will.

I'm going to divert the idea/title of this suggestion away from making any user capable of using "!show" toward any group chat host, instead.

And what about giving permissions just to the host and other trusted users?
As for this, I wouldn't be opposed since any trusted user can also make a group-chat. So if it's technically feasible, that sounds fine.

I would personally agree with Instruct; making !show accessible for any user while left unchecked can lead to disasters. I think with the threshold for accessibility tools being restricted as much as it is in group chats, I believe making it so that just hosts are allowed to use the !show command shouldn't be a problem.

More than a year since the last post lol, but in my opinion, I feel that allowing group-chat hosts and other trusted users in GC's to use !show is a solid compromise.

It is not a pressing issue, but it would be a nice QOL change if possible. Trusted users can already make group-chats as mentioned before, and due to that, I just don't see any negatives in allowing them to use the command

(any questionable use of the command would fall under a rule already in place:
If this room is used to break global rules or disrupt other areas of the server, you as the creator will be held accountable and punished.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)