Aggron...A rising star? Or not a big deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the recent addition of head smash on aggron, he is capable of more then people might think.

For example, this works good with a rock polish set.

One i thought of is:

Aggron @ Focus sash
Nature: Jolly
EV spread: 252 Atk 252 SpE 4 HP

Moveset:
Rock Polish
Head Smash
Aqua tail
Earthquake

Focus sash garuntees that at least one rock polish will be successfully put up (assuming there are no Stealth Rocks or SPikes in play.)

After just a single rock polish, aggron will be able to outrun a good number of things in UU and OU alike.

Head Smash is a devastatingly powerful move, and although it has a downfall of 1/2 recoil, Rock Head nullifies that, so basically you have a super fast super powerful move at your desposal.

Earthquake and Aqua tail are there for coverage, mainly for things like annoying steel rock and ground types that might have otherwise walled you.

While it's easy to point out all the positive things of this set, it has a big weakness to many things. One of these things is priority. Both Mach punch and Vaccum wave are big threats, and if Aggron has already been hit down to his sash, any priority move will kill him. Another problem is Stealth Rock and Spikes. Although i rapid spinner will help, it's not uncommen to have a team without one. Thus it is reccomended you have rapid spinner when using aggron. Still, this is also a big problem with Aggron.

So the main question and point of this thread is to voice your opinion on Aggron's usefulness. I personally think he's very viable despite his weaknesses and is very capable of sweeping. I do no think he is getting out of UU though.

Your comment doesn't have to be just about this set, you can comment on how well you think any aggron set plays.

I'm interested to hear your opinions.

Head Smash has the same accuracy as Stone Edge. With Focus Sash, it will only be able to attack once with Head Smash, then dies. I say it's too risky.

I honestly think that this is not a big deal due to Milotic being able to take all of it's hits like a beast and hit back with STAB + SE Surf.

Head Smash has the same accuracy as Stone Edge. With Focus Sash, it will only be able to attack once with Head Smash, then dies. I say it's too risky.
Yes this set is a bit risky, but one could argue that head smash provides way more attack power then stone edge, and is superior in almost every way.

I suppose stone edge DOES have a higher crit rate, but i would much rather substitute that for head smash.

EDIT: And thank nyou for your opinions guys, it is much appreciated

EDIT2: But with the focus sash, you would be able to use rock polish, and most likely outspeed the opponent, and head smash them back.

Make sense?

Aggron has Rock Head, so it can possibly attack twice. Stone Edge isn't even remotely close to being as good as Head Smash.....why sacrifice 75 base power (after STAB) for a shitty crit chance.

I honestly think that this is not a big deal due to Milotic being able to take all of it's hits like a beast and hit back with STAB + SE Surf.
Life Orb Head Smash vs max/max Milotic:

350 Atk vs 282 Def & 394 HP (150 Base Power): 261 - 307 (66.24% - 77.92%) (always 2HKOes)

Choice Band Head Smash vs max/max Milotic:

525 Atk vs 282 Def & 394 HP (150 Base Power): 300 - 354 (76.14% - 89.85%) (15% OHKO with SR, 100% OHKO with Spikes + SR)

Milotic doesn't take all of its hits "like a beast". It gets smashed by them.

Aggron is really great, but in this metagame (with Raikou, Dugtrio, Donphan, Gallade, and most of all, Rhyperior), it just hasn't had time to shine. It's time will come though.

I like to use a trick specs Alakazam lead and abuse Ambipom to help it setup. However like Heysup said it doesn't really have time to shine right now. With encore support and choice tricking you can help it setup in thie game. If it happens to get a free turn early in the game I would say its a toss up between Aqua Tail or Head Smash instead of trying to set up with RP.

My favorite thing is that Honchkrow's and Ambipoms annoying as hell revenge kills against offensive teams do jack diddly to Aggron.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Please don't start an individual Pokemon discussion thread without clearing it with JabbaTheGriffin or me first. Locked until future notice....also, Aggron is not really so notable as to merit individual discussion when such if generally being reserved for potential Suspects, at least at the present time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)