Against the Flow

I've been lurking on smogon for a long time. This will be my first RMT post with an actual team, as opposed to just criticizing a team. I've been playing pokemon since the beginning of the 3rd generation, but only just recently did I start to mess around with competitively battling. I downloaded Shoddy near the end of the HGSS generation, with only the knowledge of a few threats like Scizor and Salamence. I would get swept by Hail teams, Sandstorm teams, and Trick Room teams. Then, after the release of the 5th generation, I decided to download PO. That fueled me into learning more about the 5th gen metagame, and this is the team that I began using a lot (when not playing Challenge Cup :3). I peaked around 350, but then started to peter and decided I may need to revamp my team. Here it goes, feel free to skip the team building part.

I started with a Ditto, fairly simple, because I wanted to use it after hearing about its new DW ability.

Then I wanted to use some more pokemon that went against the basis of the last metagame. Serperior was added because I liked how opposite its ability is, and Espeon was added because of how much I like its Magic Mirror ability.

Then Gyarados came onto the team. It looked cool when I was younger, and hey, it turns its sweeps into even harder sweeps.

Porygon2 was added when I realized none of my pokemon could sponge hits.

Darmanitan is the latest addition, but he's been enjoyable, despite my initial doubts. He is the Fire of my FWG core that I discovered I had two parts of.

Switched out Espeon and Darmanitan for Xatu and Darmantian. Definitely worth it.
Changes are in bold.

Now for the team:

Serperior @ Leftovers
Contrary
4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spd
Timid (-Atk,+Spd)
-Leaf Storm
-Leech Seed
-HP Fire
-Glare

I love using Serperior. His set may be predictable, but it still hits like a tank when it gets going. I'm considering changing Substitute to something else, because I never use it. Other than that, he's a great attacking lead.
Changed Substitute to Glare. Worked its wonders within seconds.

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Imposter
252 HP/4 Def/252 Spd
Hardy (neutral)
-Transform
-(HP Ice)

Ditto is an excellent revenge killer. He stops most sweeps, and can hit back just as hard. He's a great counter to pokemon like Haxorus and Volcarona. HP Ice is to deal with some pokemon that have HP for coverage, and can only be hit super effective using that.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Moxie
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant (-SpAtk, +Atk)
-Waterfall
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang

After just one DD, Gyarados can hopefully get a kill and begin to sweep. With each kill, he gets stronger and stronger and can usually come in and end a game, at least once his counters are out of the way. I find him essential to the team. The only issue are Thunderus and Balloon Magnezone.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trace
252 HP/184 Def/72 SpDef
Calm (-Atk, +SpDef)
-Ice Beam
-Discharge
-Toxic
-Recover

Porygon2 has been absolutely amazing. He can come in on a lot of pokemon (especially Prankster users) and proceed to stall out the enemy team. He is my solid Dragonite counter when at full health. He's my sponge, and I don't want to change him.

Xatu @ Light Clay
Magic Bounce
248 HP/44 Def/218 SpDef
Bold (-Atk, +SpDef)
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Psyshock
-Roost

At first I was skeptical about changing Espeon, who was serving a pretty big purpose, but Xatu proved its worth within two matches. The Light Screen and Reflect helped insure a victory by keeping my other newbie, Genesect, alive, and then Xatu cleaned up a Blissey. I never thought dual screens were a good strategy, but they turned out to be pretty helpful. Xatu is also a useful status absorber.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Download
4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spd
Modest (-Atk, +SpAtk)
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Flamethrower
-Bug Buzz

I had been getting destroyed by Genesect for a while, but never figured out where I could fit him on the team. Darmanitan was a weak link, but Genesect has been taking his new spot with pride. He took down an entire team by himself on his second game, and the Download boost, while random, turns him into a lot more potent of a sweeper than Darmanitan. He gets basically perfect coverage, and he actually takes hits like a champ.

Graveyard:

Espeon @ Leftovers
Magic Mirror
252 SpAtk/4 SpDef/252 Spd
Modest (-Atk, +SpAtk)
-Calm Mind
-Psyshock
-HP Ground
-Shadow Ball

Espeon has been a mixed blessing. She can come in on a set up move, force a switch (especially on Blissey), get up a CM, and sometimes sweep. The only issue is the amount of prediction she requires. She is very strong, though, and is a great counter to pokemon like SubSeeders and Spore Breloom.

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Sheer Force
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant (-SpAtk, +Atk)
-Flare Blitz
-Earthquake
-U-Turn
-Superpower

I've always been on the fence about Darmanitan. He hits like a freight train, but he's so defensively weak. He's swept teams, but he's been the reason I get swept. I would be willing to change him if anything else is better. Personally, I'm thinking Arcanine.

End of the Graveyard

Final Look:

I've used this team for a long time, and it's kinda lost its sharp edge. Any suggestions, smogonites?

I havent used a porygon2 like that yet, so i dont know if it will be enough as an single wall of your team.
But he does have some big advantages to use and it might just work.
I dont know that imposter does on a ditto so not gonna comment on that for now.
The serperios set is one i have been thinking about before.
It should work in theory but i dont know if it has the bulk to stay alive to really do what its planned for. The leaf storm making +2 SpA every time used is sick tho , if not countered smart this will hurt oposing teams alot.
Darmanitan is a basic set you are using , he is a great attacker but if countered smartly it can cost you alot , as you allready said yourself.
Then again , using arcanine instead wont change that much i think , so maybe better not bother and keep using it till you find something to replace it.

OK...

First off, on Serp, if you want an extra move over Sub, try out Glare. It's nice for Genesect switchins among other fast sweepers.

Second, switch out Espeon for a Xatu. Wish/Uturn/Psychic/Protect should work fine. It helps by supporting wishes for everything, and, tbh, Espeon is a terrible sweeper. Xatu also has U-turn, which is a great move.

Personally I'd go Genesect>Darmanitan; Genesect is just such a good poke in the meta today theres little reason to not use him.

Also would love to play you on PO.

I'll test out Genesect on my team. I get swept by him a lot. :P
Didn't know Serperior learned glare, definitely going to try that out.
Xatu definitely is a good utility, I'll try him out too. But should I just try a rapid spinner?

Life Orb is better on Darmanitan because you get power, plus the ability to change moves. Plus, no LO recoil if you use Flare Blitz thanks to Sheer Force. Finally, I suggest giving Darmantian Rock Slide to give it more killing power.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)