Aerodactyl (Analysis) [QC 0/3]

You should mention that a weakness of the Claw Sharpen set is that it is difficult to set up without taking severe damage... mention of setting up on choiced Earthquakes might be good, and BPing Claw Sharpen boosts to him from Aianto or something. Claw Sharpen is great for Aero, but the problem is that he's too fragile to set it up very easily. :0

locopoke

Banned deucer.
The suicide lead set should probably be removed. Stealth Rock isn't worth losing an entire Pokemon over this gen. Even if Aerodactyl has a favorable lead match-up, thanks to team previews your opponent will likely be switching their lead out for something that deals with Aerodactyl. If one chooses to switch Aerodactyl from the lead spot, it becomes a mid-game SR user that lacks the power and bulk to do anything else.

Probably should do that, that's pretty much what Aerodactyl did in Gen 4 but is now so outclassed in Gen 5. Although it still has the key advantage of Tension to stop Berry or Sash leads.

Yeah, it's useless now but once Custap Berry is released it will be awesome. So should I remove the lead set for now or should I leave it in? It's still pretty good at getting up Stealth Rock, and there's all that crap about how a set can't be rejected based on whether it is outclassed or not.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Yes, remove it. It's not outclassed it's just bad. A player doesn't want to lose an entire Pokemon for the sake of getting SR down and Aerodactyl doesn't do much else other than that.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I disagree, of course it won't work as well but just because they know Aerodactyl is your lead doesn't mean they can stop it from doing its job. Getting SR up and preventing opposing SR is still very important in 5th gen (think about running that fire moth thing as your primary sweeper for instance). I can see many cases in which getting up SR and preventing opposing SR may very well be worth losing a pokemon so I disagree with locopoke about the lead set getting removed.

Also I'm not really convinced about the Claw Sharpen set...Aerodactyl is going to find it quite hard to set up and is a +1 Aerodactyl really that much more threatening than just firing off 2 +0 Stone Edges or Earthquakes from the Taunt Roost Set?

I wasn't convinced at first because of the exact same reasoning you use. But...what if one of the Stone Edges miss? As I stated in the analysis, Aerodactyl is one of the only Pokemon that can actually use Claw Sharpen's full benefits becuase of all its low-accuracy moves.

Now give it Focus Blast

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Hey smashlloyd20, I'd like to see this thread updated. It's still under the old format and contains Japanese names that should be updated to their appropriate English names.

You didn't change all of the Japanese names.

While Ice Fang can hit Dragon-types such as Sazandora, Garchomp and Salamence, Fire Fang covers Nattorei and Forretress, two Pokemon that normally wall this set.

Agrirudaa and Mischiveous Heart Sableye work especially well for this purpose.

Pokemon with Prankster such Efruun and Thundurus can priority Taunt it to stop setup.

Does anyone know if when you breed a Poke that has no EVs, and the Daycare levels it up or gives it XP, does it mess up the EVs, or does it have nothing to do with EVs?

In the "checks and counters" section, you mention that one must be wary of using Whimsicott because of the risk of taking a super-effective hit, but aren't Accelgor and Tornadus more susceptible to taking the said-SE hit since Aerodactyl is much more likely to run Stone Edge than Aerial Ace?

I think the old Life Orb set from gen 4 needs Fire Blast as the first option over Taunt. Now is the perfect time to use it, as Ferrothorn and Physically defensive Skarmory are everywhere. Taunt isn't as useful anymore because walls it was used on, like Gliscor and Hippowdon, now routinely run Ice Fang.

Should tension/unerve really be the unchallenged ability? I mean it helps to the occasional berry pokemon, as it mentions shuca hetran, but honestly you rarely see that thing, its a lot more useful to take away 2PP every turn it around in my opinion, no matter what.

I gotta say, Whirlwind definitely needs a slash on the lead set. I run a lead Aero with SR + Taunt + Rock Slide + WW on an entry hazard team, and he does quite well even without the coverage of EQ. If you manage to keep Aero's Sash intact (IE, you need a spinner), Aero can easily switch in on a boosting move and phaze away the boosts that would otherwise kill everyone else on your team. I've found this to be especially useful for Dragon Dancers that have gotten to boost their speed past the point that they can be outsped by a decent counter.

And yeah, the Don is right, Aero can't really do shit to Deoxys-S and Whimsicott.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)