Pokémon Absol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iron Tail isn't the most viable, but Mega Diancie is in the Base 110 Speed tier, so Absol outspeeds as long as they're both in the same form.

How well does Mega Absol stack against Mega Slowbro, since we've established he beats Sableye handily?

And are there any moves worth considering with the new threats in ORAS? Absol always did have a pretty huge movepool, so I'm wondering if anything got more viable.
Oh yeah, forgot Absol was 115, my mistake.

Iron Tail isn't the most viable, but Mega Diancie is in the Base 110 Speed tier, so Absol outspeeds as long as they're both in the same form.

How well does Mega Absol stack against Mega Slowbro, since we've established he beats Sableye handily?

And are there any moves worth considering with the new threats in ORAS? Absol always did have a pretty huge movepool, so I'm wondering if anything got more viable.
Slowbro needs Swords Dance or a lot of Sp. Atk investment + Thunderbolt to get past Mega Slowbro.
Absol didn't get any new moves, but Knock Off and Superpower + Play Rough is legal now. Not sure if that's what you meant or not.

Who are some good teammates for Absol in OU now? I've always used Talonflame with him to take care of fighting types. And I used to Run Aegislash back in the day. Who works best now?

Slowbro needs Swords Dance or a lot of Sp. Atk investment + Thunderbolt to get past Mega Slowbro.
Absol didn't get any new moves, but Knock Off and Superpower + Play Rough is legal now. Not sure if that's what you meant or not.
I meant more along the lines of moves he already had being more useful to deal with prominent new threats. Kinda like how Heatran always had Ancient Power, but only started running it when people started using him as a Talonflame check

I meant more along the lines of moves he already had being more useful to deal with prominent new threats. Kinda like how Heatran always had Ancient Power, but only started running it when people started using him as a Talonflame check
In that case, not really, but Baton Pass might be a thing. Probably only effective against Stall and Balance, but Swords Dancing then Baton Passing when a Clefable comes in may be helpful. I think it might be more effective now than it was in XY.

Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Sucker Punch/Knock Off
- Play Rough

Probably best off with 4 Attacks though.

I still find the best set to be Swords Dance + 3 attacks. But you need godlike prediction skills to pull it off. You can always set up on defensive Rotom-W though, who's incredibly common.

He can't burn because of Magic Bounce, and Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt/Volt Switch fail to OHKO.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I haven't touched this post in a while. These sets are pre-Pokebank sets, so holy shit they're outdated.

I'm going to update the OP with relevant shit (especially SD + 3 Attacks, which is better now since it can run Knock Off and Play Rough on the same set now)

In that case, not really, but Baton Pass might be a thing. Probably only effective against Stall and Balance, but Swords Dancing then Baton Passing when a Clefable comes in may be helpful. I think it might be more effective now than it was in XY.

Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Sucker Punch/Knock Off
- Play Rough

Probably best off with 4 Attacks though.
I'd at least run Knock Off on any given SD Mega Absol set (I personally wouldn't use Mega Absol without Knock Off ever, though I can see why some sets might want to use something else.) Baton Pass is definitely viable on SD Mega Absol, but SD/Sucker Punch/Knock Off/Baton Pass would be preferred. Sucker Punch is too good to give up, Knock Off is too good to give up... Mono-Dark coverage doesn't hurt that much since you'll just be passing to a teammate against anything that resists mono-Dark coverage. Like, Sylv just came in? Just Pass your boosts to Talonflame, and let's be honest, you've probably got Talonflame on your team if you're using Mega Absol. Tyranitar? Pass them to a Fighting-type. Fighting-type came in? Again, you're probably safe passing your boosts to Talonflame.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Eventide
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
1. 110 Speed tier has been inflated; Absol likes this as it can revenge kill most of them (Latios, Latias, Metagross)
2. It handles Mega Sableye pretty well, in being immune to Will-o-Wisp and taking little from Dark/Ghost moves.

Overall I'd say it's a bit better now. In my opinion it went from being D-rank worthy to like C-rank worthy.

How crazy does Iron Tail sound? It lets it beat Diancie + check Clefable.
Life Orb Bisharp barely has a chance to OHKO Mega Metagross, so I don't see how Mega Absol is revenging it.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Life Orb Bisharp barely has a chance to OHKO Mega Metagross, so I don't see how Mega Absol is revenging it.
Well I mean it isn't doing 100%, that's for sure. But you don't have to be able to do 100% to every pokemon to count as a revenge killer. It does 67.7% min 80.3% max to metagross (with 0 hp), so with the one hit metagross tanks to setup an agility, it's in range for Absol to revenge kill it.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Who are some good teammates for Absol in OU now? I've always used Talonflame with him to take care of fighting types. And I used to Run Aegislash back in the day. Who works best now?
This is pure theorymon, but Mega Absol seems as a great cleaner with a set of SD / Sucker Punch / Knock Off / Play Rough, as most Pokemon in OU take at least 50% from +2 Absol, priority deals with Scarf users, and Thunder Wave Klefki and Thundurus are not issues thanks to Magic Bounce, provided you have worn down Klefki beforehand (+2 Sucker Punch does 50% to max HP Klefki). But in order to set up you need either screens or memento support. For those reasons, Dual Screens Latios, LO Memento Latios, Dual Screens + Memento + Encore Whimsicott, and Dual Screens Klefki seem as great partners.

Last edited:
Absol doesn't necessarily need dual screens. But I prefer a more HO variant when using M-Absol. I've had some success with Smeargle and sticky web support as well. But M-Absol outspeeds almost everything anyways. So the screens may help him more.

In fact, it allows M-Absol to set up SD then cleanly KO Conkeldurr with Play Rough. Since Mach Punch will fail to OHKO with reflect up.

So I've been playing around with Baton Pass Mega Absol for a bit and it's been surprisingly effective. It passes boosts successfully more than 1/2 of the time from my experience and also helps it Mega Evolve safely on slower Pokemon and eases prediction at times. Here's a replay of it passing to another crazy experiment of mine that has also been surprisingly good.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-190978863

Can't provide more replays as I've had to forfeit a lot of other battles because of real life stuff, but yeah, Baton Pass Mega Absol is pretty legit.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
You know, I wonder how much coverage Mega Absol would get on a set that runs Play Rough, Knock Off, and Superpower. And what would be a good move for that fourth slot on a set like that. Anyone got any suggestions?

So far I've got this.

Name: ORAS Mix. (tentative name)

Ability: Justified.

Item: Absolite.

Nature: Jolly/Adamant

EVs: 252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe.

Moves: Play Rough, Knock Off, Superpower, ???

Any suggestions for a fourth move that might make this set viable?
Superpower and Play Rough are pretty redundant together. You don't really gain any notable coverage. Pick one or the other.

On Swords Dance sets, you really don't need Superpower since all of the Superpower targets are OHKOed by something else with a little bit of prior damage (iirc, Absol has a small chance to OHKO 252/0 Heatran with +2 Knock Off with just Stealth Rock, and +2 Play Rough slaughters Tyranitar,) and you get all of that without Superpower's nasty Attack drop. All-Out Attacker sets would rather have Superpower, though, since it needs to have that in order to handle Heatran and Tyranitar.

Superpower and Play Rough are pretty redundant together. You don't really gain any notable coverage. Pick one or the other.

On Swords Dance sets, you really don't need Superpower since all of the Superpower targets are OHKOed by something else with a little bit of prior damage (iirc, Absol has a small chance to OHKO 252/0 Heatran with +2 Knock Off with just Stealth Rock, and +2 Play Rough slaughters Tyranitar,) and you get all of that without Superpower's nasty Attack drop. All-Out Attacker sets would rather have Superpower, though, since it needs to have that in order to handle Heatran and Tyranitar.
Okay, how about a set that takes advantage of being faster than Mega Sableye to spread status, taking full advantage of Magic Bounce to leave opponents with no real way to send it back at Mega Absol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)