A war of attrition - Featuring Wilechase (impersonator)

G’day Smogon, Choice Socks here. Bringing you, all the way from Gods own New Zealand, my first warstory, my best recent battle, and my least favourite tier all in one go. So that is quite a collection of things to have wrapped up in one battle. I rarely play UU; there just isn’t enough of my favourite Pokémon in it to make it interesting enough for me. But I was battling late last night and grew bored of OU, and there was no one in RU or NU so I thought, hey, what the hell. I knew nothing about UU, so I looked at the usage stats, threw a team together based on what everyone else was using, and played a few games to get the feel of the tier. All was going well, most the matches were over in less than 20 turns because Machamp was such a powerhouse in them. Then I came upon this battler, obvious troll is obvious, and I expected this match to be over faster than the last ones, as we all know trolls can troll, but not battle. But fortunately I was wrong about that, or I wouldn’t have had a battle so good I felt a desperate need to warstory it.

Anywho enough of my rambling, because I’m sure you are here to read about my battle against (fake) Wilechase. At least I will assume it was fake, wouldn’t it be cool if it were the real Wile, but once again I digress.

Can’t read? Watch the match here instead

My team is a fairly standard team, nothing too obscure or from far down the ranks, with the exception of Claydol, but I still think he is the best spinner in the tier. Originally I tried to put Donphan on my team, then realised he wasn’t even UU. As I said, I know nothing about the tier. I suppose the team is a bulky offensive one, I put up hazards, use a core of Empoleon, Zapdos and Roserade, and chip away with Chandelure and Machamp.

Looking at his team, I could see he had a similar build, a solid core of Snorlax and Gligar, Blastoise to spin, Roserade for hazards and general bossing, Bronzong for support and Sableye for spin blocking. There are some hard hitters in his team, but no sweepers or anything that can set up to ruin my day. So it looks like it is going to be a war of attrition and slow chipping away at each other’s cores till one of them cracks.

Battle between Choice Socks and Wile started!
Tier: Standard UU
Variation: +20, -12
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: Wifi Battle

Wile sent out Bronzong!
Choice Socks sent out Claydol!

And so it begins, I jot down his team quickly so I’m not constantly checking up the top of the log for what to expect. I opt to lead with Claydol, my usual lead, as he is reliable and not only sets up the hazards but spins away the enemies as well. I am worried that he could lead with Roserade, but if he does I will switch into Chandelure for free and can spin away any hazards it sets up later. And looking at his team, I predict it is the same bulky spiker set I run, as his team is more bulky than offensive, so no need to fear the crippling sleep powder.

Turn 1

Claydol used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around Wile's team!

The foe's Bronzong used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around Choice Socks's team!

So he leads with bronzong, this was my second choice for his lead behind Roserade. This matchup is not overly beneficial for either of us, sure we both get a chance to set our rocks up, but we can’t exactly do anything to each other after that, which leads to a dangerous decision whether to double switch not knowing what will happen. So to open the play we both put our rocks up, simple opening move.

Turn 2

Wile called Bronzong back!
Wile sent out Sableye!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Sableye!

Claydol used Rapid Spin!
It had no effect!

The foe's Sableye restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

I knew the switch to Sableye was coming; it was the smart and logical move, as he had just set up hazards against a spinner. So he knew that I would try for the rapid spin as there was nothing else I could do to his Bronzong. But not wanting to overpredict and definitely not wanting his hazards on the field to harm my Chandelure, I opt for the rapid spin anyway.

Turn 3

Choice Socks called Claydol back!
Choice Socks sent out Chandelure!
Pointed stones dug into Chandelure!

The foe's Sableye used Taunt!
Chandelure fell for the taunt!

Chandelure restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Sableye is a very tricky one. Until you have seen a few of its moves, not even Derren Brown could predict his set. They are also relatively bulky, and my only two hard hitters are Machamp and Chandelure. Switching Machamp into one is not a good play as I know that a good chunk of them carry Will-o-wisp, and I don’t want my Lum used up on the switch, only to be burnt again straight after. So I decide to test the waters, hope he throws out the common WoW, and pray for a flashfire boost. So Chandelure it is.
Now his move has me racking my brain for a second, surely he predicted a switch? Why taunt and not status? But then I remember toxic was a common choice to cripple walls on Claydol, and he does not want to risk being poisoned, so good move to him.

Turn 4

Wile called Sableye back!
Wile sent out Snorlax!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Snorlax!

Chandelure used Fire Blast!
The foe's Snorlax lost 16% of its health!

The foe's Snorlax restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Chandelure best reminds me of UU’s very own nuclear missile, one so good it’d bring a tear to North Koreas eye. Sableye may be bulky, but he is definitely not strong enough to take a 120BP STAB Fireblast coming off a fully invested 145 base special attack. I may not be a OHKO, but it’d be enough to knock enough health off to the point where not even his priority recover is going to help him. So bomb’s away! JK, lol... He switches to a thick fat Snorlax.
And that was the end of North Koreas nuclear testing program, they tried it, and realised it wasn’t going to work.

Turn 5

Choice Socks called Chandelure back!
Choice Socks sent out Machamp!
Pointed stones dug into Machamp!

The foe's Snorlax used Body Slam!
Machamp lost 32% of its health!

Now I am stuck in a horrible position, one thing I know about UU is that a large percentage of Snorlax run thick fat and pursuit so that they are able to gobble up Chandelure’s for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is nothing I can do to Snorlax though, so the only thing I can do is switch out to Machamp, a much better match for me, but at the cost of my Chandelure. But hang on a second? Chandelure escapes unharmed, and Machamp is struck by a body slam, and a pretty painful one at that. So that tells me one thing, his Snorlax is not an overly physical one, it took minimal damage, and did not pursuit, so it is in all likely hood, the specially defensive rest-talking one...great.

Turn 6

Wile called Snorlax back!
Wile sent out Sableye!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Sableye!

Machamp used Stone Edge!
The foe's Sableye lost 48% of its health!

Machamp is in, Snorlax definitely won’t be staying in, and Sableye will come in predicting the Dynamic punch. It is the logical train of thought. He could bring in Gligar, but Gligar does not have the ability to burn my only physical attacker. So I predict the Sableye and let lose a 100% accurate Stone edge, God I love No guard. Bang, Sableye cops one to his jaw.

Turn 7

The foe's Sableye used Recover!
The foe's Sableye regained health!

Machamp used Stone Edge!
A critical hit! The foe's Sableye lost 95% of its health!

The foe's Sableye fainted!

Wile sent out Bronzong!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Bronzong!

Now here is the one bit of hax for the game, I predicted him to try cripple Machamp with WoW instead of recover, actually i was banking on it. The WoW would eat up by Lum berry instead, and I would knock out Sableye with the Stone Edge. But instead he recovers; the stone edge still connects, but this time with a unbelievable amount of force behind it. CRIT. And Sableye is down for the count. Now I don’t know if the hax truly mattered, because I am convinced my plan would have happened eventually. But maybe not, you be the judge.

Turn 8

Machamp used DynamicPunch!
The foe's Bronzong lost 46% of its health!
The foe's Bronzong became confused!

The foe's Bronzong is confused!

The foe's Bronzong used Gyro Ball!
Machamp lost 23% of its health!

The foe's Bronzong restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Now this play from my opponent I conceive to be a misplay, as he has Gligar which hard counters my Machamp, but maybe he fears ice punch, which unfortunately I don’t actually carry. This is quite a favourable set up for me though, no more ghosts, and although I predict him to switch, his Gligar will get confused even if the damage if pitiful. So BANG!!! But wait? He didn’t switch out, he attacked back for a wee bit of damage.

Turn 9

Wile sent out Gligar!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Gligar!

It's not very effective... The foe's Gligar lost 13% of its health!
The foe's Gligar became confused!

Surely he is not going to sack his Bronzong for no good reason, that’d be absurd. I am going to dynamic punch again anyway though; it will either kill off his Bronzong or confuse Gligar when he brings it in. Which he does, Gligar loses next to no health, which is easily roosted off, but at least he is confused.

Turn 10

The foe's Gligar is confused!

The foe's Gligar used Substitute!
The foe's Gligar made a substitute!

Machamp used Stone Edge!
The foe's Gligar's substitute took the damage!

He is my first misplay, and where my lack of UU knowledge comes into play. Underestimating Gligar I assume Stone edge will do decent damage. (I drew this wrong knowledge from CB Terrakion’s stone edge on a Gligar haha. WTF right? It’s not even comparable, but that was my logic at the time) He subs before it lands and the stone edge doesn’t even break it. But I do learn one thing, If it has sub, it is more than likely that he is a sub/toxic/roost set, leaving EQ as his only attacking move.

Turn 11

The foe's Gligar is confused!

The foe's Gligar used Toxic!
Machamp was badly poisoned!
Machamp ate its Lum Berry!
Machamp's status cleared!

Machamp used Stone Edge!
The foe's Gligar's substitute faded!

It’s time to make up for last turns dumbassery, I have a good idea what his set it now, EQ barely hurts me, and I have lum for toxic, so another stone edge will break his sub, and that is exactly what I do. He opts for the toxic, destroying my lum berry, and I break his pesky sub.

Turn 12

Choice Socks called Machamp back!
Choice Socks sent out Roserade!
Pointed stones dug into Roserade!

The foe's Gligar snapped out of its confusion!

The foe's Gligar used Roost!
The foe's Gligar landed on the ground!
The foe's Gligar regained health!

Roserade restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Machamp can’t do anything here, and I definitely do not want him poisoned. There are a number of choices I can make here. I could switch to Empoleon to block toxic and threaten him out, but I don’t want to be EQ’d. I could go to Zapdos or Claydol to dodge the EQ, but I definitely do not want to be poisoned. So it seems like Roserade is by far my best option. Bulky, EQ is neutral and she is immune to poison. During the switch my opponent makes a smart move and recovers his health back, scouting and preparing for whatever move I make.

Turn 13

Wile called Gligar back!
Wile sent out Roserade!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Roserade!

Roserade used Giga Drain!
It's not very effective... The foe's Roserade lost 5% of its health!
The foe's Roserade had its energy drained!

The foe's Roserade restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

I have to think for a second, what is more important right now, hazards or damage on one half of his core? I opt to go with damage, as his core is the perfect counter to my two attacking Pokémon, and without removing it there is no chance of me breaking through. Not to mention he still has a very healthy spinner in the wings. I don’t know if he predicted the attack or felt like the best switch to counter my Roserade was his own. Either way he made a very good switch, and my giga drain did less than his leftovers recovered.

Turn 14

Roserade used Sludge Bomb!
The foe's Roserade lost 32% of its health!

The foe's Roserade used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of Choice Socks's team!

If it is the bulky spiker set I run, I know if I forgo hazards for now and go for damage, I can 3HKO him. If it is an offensive set then it’s a 2HKO with sludge bomb and that is even better. So once again, Bombs away. The damage along tells me it’s a bulky spiker set, not to mention the spikes he used right afterwards.

Turn 15

The foe's Roserade lost 29% of its health!

The foe's Roserade used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of Choice Socks's team!

Same again, I continue to chip away at him as he spikes. If he does happen to rest at the end of this, then I can bring in Claydol for free and spin away his rocks. And if he doesn’t have rest he loses his Roserade, so really it’s win-win for me right now.

Turn 16

The foe's Roserade lost 30% of its health!

The foe's Roserade used Rest!
The foe's Roserade went to sleep and became healthy!

Now we are in a range where a high damage roll will kill him. Finger crossed and BOOM! But when the sludge clears it’s not a dead Roserade lying on the ground, but a sleeping one instead. I guess the lower damage roll makes up for the crit on Sableye, as it allows him to fully replenish his Roserade.

Turn 17

Wile called Roserade back!
Wile sent out Snorlax!

Choice Socks called Roserade back!
Pointed stones dug into Claydol!

Claydol restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

I don’t know what he plans to do this turn, but I sure as hell know I plan on spinning all these hazards. The one thing I do know is that he can’t risk going into his own spinner while I still have Roserade out, so I’m pretty confident that I can safely switch to Claydol to spin. So that’s what I do. And in turn he sends out Snorlax. Probably hoping to absorb some special hits from Roserade, using that incredible bulk of his.

Turn 18

Wile sent out Roserade!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Roserade!

Claydol used Rapid Spin!
The foe's Roserade lost 4% of its health!
Claydol blew away Spikes!
Claydol blew away Stealth Rock!

Spin, spin, spin was my plan all along, and I am not deviating from it at all. He makes the rather predictable move of switching back into his now awake and healthy Roserade to tackle my grass weak spinner. But his rocks and spikes are all gone, so I don’t mind being in a unfavourable match up for the moment.

Turn 19

The foe's Roserade used Sludge Bomb!
It's not very effective... Chandelure lost 26% of its health!

Right now, Chandelure is the best move to go for, I know he will eventually go back to Snorlax and the whole cycle will start again, but he can’t really touch me with Roserade, and there are no entry hazards to hurt him on the switch. So into Chandelure it is to scare away the nasty flowers.

Turn 20

Wile called Roserade back!
Wile sent out Snorlax!

The foe's Snorlax lost 16% of its health!

As predicted, but what else was there to do, I had to scare off the Rose. Fireblast was the move of choice here, shadow ball doesn’t affect him, and energy ball is unSTABed and just plain weak. Right now we have fallen into a phase of any prolonged battle, that I call the obligatory moves. These happen when two cores are switching around on each other in a series of predicted, resisted moves, where not much is achieved, and you battle wits against the opponent to try and force them to stuff up.

Turn 21

Choice Socks called Chandelure back!

Wile sent out Gligar!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Gligar!

And that is what my opponent does here. The Machamp switch is obvious, so he double switched out to Gligar. The bane of Machamp’s UU existence. Or one of the banes at least. This is not a good situation for me to be in, as he will either get a toxic off, or a free sub.

Turn 22

I stand no chance of inflicting any damage to him, so I have to switch out. He will either sub or toxic. I know he won’t EQ as I still have two ground immunities floating around. I can’t risk going into Empoleon as if he subs, he would out speed and 2HKO with EQ. So it seems he had put me in a position here someone has to take a toxic. I decide Claydol is the best choice, as he packs ice beam, which I have yet to reveal to my opponent. My opponent is smart and subs. This comes as no surprise, I would have done the exact same move as now he can scout and launch a toxic unharmed. Dang.

Turn 23

The foe's Gligar used Toxic!
Claydol was badly poisoned!

Claydol used Ice Beam!
It's super-effective! The foe's Gligar's substitute faded!
Claydol is hurt by poison!

As predicted, but the sub is broken with ice beam, and he now knows that Claydol is a threat to his wall. I may be poisoned, but I have him in a position where he will undoubtedly switch. But to whom? It could either be Blastoise or Snorlax (thick fat = pseudo resist) as both resist and will take no damage

Turn 24

Claydol used Ice Beam!

He subs again instead of switching. Maybe he still thinks I pack toxic and was scouting for it so his switch isn’t crippled. I Ice beam again not to over predict though. Now I am fairly sure he will switch. It is a perfect chance for him to spin away the rocks that have been digging into him every switch he’s made.

Turn 25

Wile called Gligar back!
Wile sent out Blastoise!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Blastoise!

Claydol used Ice Beam!
It's not very effective... The foe's Blastoise lost 8% of its health!

The foe's Blastoise restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

He does indeed switch as I thought he might. Maybe he has realised I don’t carry toxic after all. I ice beam just in case he does keep Gligar in as if I can get him out the way then Machamp can hit a home run on the rest of his team. Blastoise takes no damage from the attack, and smiles as he now knows he can spin my rocks freely.

Turn 26

The foe's Blastoise used Rapid Spin!
Roserade lost 5% of its health!
The foe's Blastoise blew away Stealth Rock!

The switch to Roserade was obvious as was the rapid spin. Once more we begin to go through the obligatory motions of switching and resisting.

Turn 27

Wile called Blastoise back!
Wile sent out Bronzong!

Roserade used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of Wile's team!

While we are switching around a lot again though, it makes a lot of sense for me to have entry hazards up, so that is what I do. I get my first layer of spikes up all game, and he switched into Bronzong, which is a rather excellent counter to Roserade.

Turn 28

Choice Socks sent out Zapdos!

Zapdos is exerting its pressure!

The foe's Bronzong used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around Choice Socks's team!

Here I am thinking about a switch into Chandelure as it would get in for free, but that would lead to another cycle of thick fat Snorlax to Machamp to Gligar to Roserade to Bronzong and straight back to this situation. Not to mention he could quite easily predict that and go for an EQ to kill Chandelure. This time I decided it best to bring out Zapdos. He has offensive moves to deal with most his team, there are no stealth rocks up and I resist all Bronzong’s attacks.

Turn 29

Wile sent out Snorlax!
The foe's Snorlax is hurt by spikes!

Zapdos used Heat Wave!
A critical hit! The foe's Snorlax lost 16% of its health!

Not wanting to overpredict anything again I go for heat wave to scare of Bronzong. Snorlax comes in to deal with it, and it does a game breaking, whooping... 16%. Crit included, which I think I will call useless.

Turn 30

Zapdos used Thunderbolt!
The foe's Snorlax lost 24% of its health!

The foe's Snorlax used Rest!
The foe's Snorlax went to sleep and became healthy!

Now unlike Chandelure Zapdos actually has some moves in his arsenal that might be able to dent the big man. So I decide to shoot off a thunderbolt to get a gauge of how much damage we are looking at. It seems like I will be hitting anywhere between 20-25% on him, which is a lot more than anything else I have hit him with so far. He survives though and rests up back to full health.

Turn 31

Choice Socks called Zapdos back!

The foe's Snorlax is fast asleep!

The foe's Snorlax used Sleep Talk!

The foe's Snorlax used Whirlwind!
Machamp was dragged out!

With him asleep due to rest It seems like a good opportunity to spin away the rocks once more so I switch out to Claydol. Snorlax sleep talks though and gets his 1/3 chance of whirlwinding me. When the whirlind landed I’d be lying if I said i wasn’t annoyed. But by golly, it’s on hell of a game changer

Turn 32

Choice Socks sent out Zapdos!
Pointed stones dug into Zapdos!

Zapdos is exerting its pressure!

Wile sent out Bronzong!

Zapdos restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

It is this turn here where a spot of luck and a cunning plan by yours truly all formulates. A little bit more luck will be needed, but fortune favours the bold. And I for one am tired of all this trench warfare. It’s time to go on the offensive. I know he will have to switch out now because he can’t risk his Snorlax dying to Machamp. But with him switching out his rest counter disappears and he it turns into normal sleep. And with the annoying gen 5 sleep mechanics will see him asleep for quite some time yet before he can do anything. Knowing he would switch, I decided to go back into Zapdos, as I predicted his Gligar to come in, which HP ice can make short work of. But he goes with Bronzong, which left me boggled.

Turn 33

Wile sent out Snorlax!

Zapdos used Thunderbolt!
The foe's Snorlax lost 21% of its health!

I predict the switch back to Snorlax so instead of going for heat wave I go for my STAB thunderbolt. I know that combined with the entry hazards I laid down earlier that it was potentially a 4HKO. And he would more than likely not wake up during that time, and if he did wake up and rest, I would switch back to Machamp, and start the whole cycle again hoping for longer sleep turns.

Turn 34

Zapdos used Thunderbolt!
The foe's Snorlax lost 21% of its health!

Zapdos lost 39% of its health!

I roll a low damage score this time, not what I needed if i’m ever going to get past this big fatty. He sleeptalk’s and gets the body slam. Fortunately I do not get paralyzed or my whole campaign would be in jeopardy. I have enough health after to be able to survive another body slam, heaven forbid he get that lucky again though. So i know I can power on through.

Turn 35

Zapdos used Thunderbolt!
The foe's Snorlax lost 22% of its health!

Zapdos lost 40% of its health!

Another lower roll, atleast it was higher than last time. And he gets the body slam again! For even more damage this time. Just thank god that I am still not paralyzed. I just have to hope to roll very high next turn, or that he does not wake up and rest again.

Turn 36

Zapdos used Thunderbolt!
The foe's Snorlax lost 24% of its health!

The foe's Snorlax woke up!

Zapdos lost 20% of its health!

Zapdos fainted!

Another thunderbolt to wear away at him. He’s still not close to death for one more turn though. But then disaster strikes, he wakes up. My opponent did not make the safe play and go for the rest though, which could have potentially changed the course of history as we know it. He went aggressive, perhaps he could feel my momentum rising and wanted to squash it like a bug. He body slams my Zapdos and KO’s the legendary bird. I do not know if any of my other special attackers would be able to deal enough damage to Snorlax to kill him and stop him resting, so I go in Machamp to force him out. But this does mean that if I don’t let him spin, when he does come back in, he will be in KO range.

Turn 37

Wile sent out Bronzong!

The foe's Bronzong lost 46% of its health!
The foe's Bronzong became confused!

He switches into his Bronzong, fearing the non-existent ice punch on Gligar, only to be greeted with a whole fist full of revenge for Zapdos. Dynamic punch to the face.

Turn 38

The foe's Bronzong lost 32% of its health!

The foe's Bronzong fainted!

Wile sent out Roserade!
The foe's Roserade is hurt by spikes!

At this point, I do not understand why he still didn’t switch into Gligar. Maybe still fearing the ice punch (which I am going to put on Machamp do this never happens again.) I go for the obvious dynamic punch again and his Bronzong is knocked out. He then brings in Roserade to revenge kill Machamp.

Turn 39

The foe's Roserade used Sludge Bomb!
Machamp lost 25% of its health!

Machamp fainted!

Pointed stones dug into Chandelure!

I could have safety switched into Empoleon point but for some reason decide to let her revenge Machamp in order to get my next Mon in safely. Looking back on the battle perhaps Zapdos would have been the smarter choice here, but I was awash with rage. And fire burns grass, so go Chandelure!!

Turn 40

It's super-effective! The foe's Roserade lost 89% of its health!

The foe's Roserade fainted!

Wile sent out Blastoise!
The foe's Blastoise is hurt by spikes!

Here I do not know if my opponent did not switch into Blastoise from fear of the 2HKO from energy ball, or if they thought that bulky Roserade would outspeed and kill me. But I stuck to my guns and fired off a mighty fire blast to burn the bunch of flowers to ash. He then brings Blastoise safely in after, and we both know that energy ball will have nowhere near enough power to KO him.

Turn 41

Chandelure used Energy Ball!
It's super-effective! The foe's Blastoise lost 55% of its health!

The foe's Blastoise used Scald!
It's super-effective! Chandelure lost 54% of its health!

Chandelure fainted!

Pointed stones dug into Roserade!

The revenge killing continues as our teams are finally crumbling. I launch a powerful energy ball, which does way more than I thought it would, and he finishes off my candle with scald. But I am now able to bring in Roserade, and he is in clear KO range of giga drain.

Turn 42

Wile called Blastoise back!
Wile sent out Snorlax!

The foe's Snorlax lost 10% of its health!

The foe's Snorlax fainted!
The foe's Snorlax had its energy drained!

Wile sent out Gligar!

I launch a Giga drain at the Blastoise hoping to keep my heath high, and drain his to zero. But he switches into his Snorlax. As i said earlier though, Snorlax had no chance of surviving the combined damage from entry hazards and switching in on an attack. And the juggernaught is finally defeated. He brings in his Gligar, but now his core is broken down and there is no more defensive synergy it shouldn’t be a matter of time till Roserade can pick him apart.

Turn 43

The foe's Gligar lost 30% of its health!
The foe's Gligar had its energy drained!

I shoot off my most powerful attack against him, but it is no way near powerful enough to whither him down. He is healing off more than I can do. This is annoying as I had just gained so much offensive momentum and was on the home straight to victory. Now I have been roadblocked again.
Turn 44

Not wanting to have to resort to PP stalling, I switch out to Claydol, so I can shoot off some ice beams, while he continues to roost in order to gain back his health and stall.

Turn 45

Wile called Gligar back!
Wile sent out Blastoise!
The foe's Blastoise is hurt by spikes!

Claydol used Ice Beam!
It's not very effective... The foe's Blastoise lost 7% of its health!

I fire off those x4 effective ice beams hoping to end the little scorpion, but he does the predictable and switched into Blastoise, as we already know from earlier, the ice beam will do next to nothing on him.

Turn 46

The foe's Blastoise used Scald!
It's super-effective! A critical hit! Claydol lost 56% of its health!

Claydol fainted!

Choice Socks sent out Empoleon!
Pointed stones dug into Empoleon!

Blastoise is low on health though, and it is now I see my route to victory. He is in definite KO range from Empoleon’s grass knot, and Empoleon will also be able to survive gligar’s EQ and be able to KO back with ice beam. I just have to sacrifice Claydol in order to get him on safely and the game is won. Blastoise finishes him off with a scald, and I am able to put the final piece of the puzzle in place. Empoleon takes to the field. After not seeing any action all match, and knowing he can end it all, he stands up straight, and ready.

Turn 47

The foe's Blastoise used Rapid Spin!
It's not very effective... Empoleon lost 1% of its health!
The foe's Blastoise blew away Spikes!

Empoleon used Grass Knot!
It's super-effective! The foe's Blastoise lost 22% of its health!

The foe's Blastoise fainted!

Empoleon restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
Wile sent out Gligar!

Here my opponent should have scalded and hoped for the burn so he could sub stall he with Gligar into KO range from EQ, but perhaps this had never crossed his mind. He rapidspan on Empoleon, doing the lowest damage roll of any attack all match. Blastoise was then promptly finished off by grass knot.

Turn 48

Empoleon used Ice Beam!

Empoleon restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

My opponent decides to try subbing against Empoleon, but without even having attempted the scald burn it is pointless. Empoleon breaks the sub easily

Turn 49

The foe's Gligar used Earthquake!
It's super-effective! Empoleon lost 60% of its health!

Empoleon used Ice Beam!
It's super-effective! The foe's Gligar lost 75% of its health!

The foe's Gligar fainted!

The window was disabled due to one of the players closing the battle window.

Choice Socks won the battle!

He earthquakes hopelessly (unless it got a crit) and is finished off by the powerful ice beam from Empoleon.

Phew, that was one hell of a battle in my opinion. I have never had that much trouble with a 2 Pokémon core that I can remember.

Props

Snorgar – an impenetrable core that perfectly countered my two attackers, it took a lot of work and a bit of luck to get through it.

Claydol – if it were not for his repeated rapid spins, the entry hazards would’ve destroyed my team in less than 15 turn

Slops

Wile – for not being the real Wile. My opponent was a great battler, I just find something very annoying about impersonators and trolls. Of course if it was actually Wile, then I take the whole slops part back =] But I know it wasn’t as he doesn’t ladder under his youtube name.

I hope you enjoyed this battle a lot, I might actually play some more UU battles as it isn’t so bad, so who knows, you might see me battling in UU some time. I always battle under my name Choice Socks, so send me a challenge if you want to. I only have the one username, as I don’t care too much about ladder rankings. Thank you for reading, and don’t forget to drop a comment so I can improve on my next warstory for you guys.
Bye

Alright, first a couple technical things that bugged the crap out of me.

1. You referred to "Thick Fat" as "Think Fat" At least twice in your war story, which, while amusing in a way, is still annoying.
2. You referred to Gligar as Gliscor several times at the start of the match.

Now that asside, I have to say this was a pretty well done warstory. The format was good (though health percentages would've been nice along with the bars) and the commentary relatively thoughtful and entertaining. The battle was decent, though not quite as enthralling as it could be.

I do have some suggestions though. One; you tend to describe what happened in the previous turn in your commentary a little too often; we can see for ourselves what just happened, instead you should discuss the impact it has on the battle. Two; you tend to describe your thought process for a move after you did it, rather than before you do it. This just doesn't flow very well; you're better off explaining your reasoning for you move before you actually do it in the log, in my opinion.

Other than that, not bad. I've seen better and I've seen worse. It is nice to see ANY warstory at this point though, as it's been a looong time since there last was one.

Double01

Hate it or love it the under dog's on top
I have to agree with Jimera, this warstory was definitely a solid one. It had good formatting and a pretty decent battle which was nice. But my one big problem was that you talked about your move that you just did. You should explain you thought process BEFORE you make the move so that it adds suspense to see if your prediction is correct. If you tell your prediction after you make the move then it takes away from the suprise factor. Maybe that's just me but that's how I felt.

Overall, it was a decent warstory but it definitely can be improved. Hope to see more warstories from you because you have a good writing style. Good luck!

First off, I agree with Jimera on pretty much all he said.
Second off, rest sleep set the sleep counter to 2 turns, and 2 turns exactly.. No hoping for longer sleep counters.

I very much enjoyed this warstory.

I agree with the person who said it's better to have the analysis pre-turn, though. Just makes for a better read.

For future stories. I'm glad we finally had one come up.

What Jimera and AasTmO said. Nice Warstory, just fix the format a little and it'll be great. Also with Rest, the sleep counter is always 2. When you switch out, it gets reset. This means that next time you switch in, you will have 2 more turns of sleep. Notice how he 'predicted' perfectly on the turn Snorlax woke up? He knew. With that little bit of knowledge, you could have saved your Zapdos.

Knight of Cydonia

I COULD BE BANNED!
Yes, you should definitely put your thoughts about the next turn before the outcome is revealed. You could still change this now and it would improve it for future readers. Anyway I enjoy your writing style, and it is good to see a new warstory here, I check all the time for them.

Yamata no Orochi

dreamenddischarger
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Warstories, they come around like once every 2-3 months? :P
Anyways, to the review. Your battle was so-so, the formatting was quite nice. Saying stuff you did in the previous turn is like hearing a broken record like what the previous users said. I was a bit confused when you said Gligar was Gliscor as well. Other than all of that, this is a decent warstory. 7/10

Although I don't consider myself excellent at rating war stories, I have to say I really like this. 8/10

There are only a few problems I have with this war story.
The first one is that you explained your thought process after the event happened. (which would be fine in my mind if the way it was written didn't make it so it felt like it should have been put before the event or turn.)

The second is that it looked like a wall of text with bars and sprites. It would be really cool if you could add some color in your text.
Not really a mistake or problem, just something that would have made this war story even better to read.

The battle was pretty good, except for a few misplays with your opponent's gligar. While I do understand what he was trying to do, there is a time for "let's keep this pokemon in the back cause he might have that coverage move that kills me" and a time for "we need to take a risk on his coverage move because we need to attempt to wall this thing before it starts wrecking my team."

In my mind, the opponent's overly cautious play with gligar is what cost him the game.

Other than that, excellent war story, I look forward to seeing more of these from you!

nice battle..but you should really be putting your thought process and predictions instead of summarising your last turn..and add a little color for making it more attractive..nice attempt for a first warstory though!

Good story. I only found two minor typos in it that haven't been found yet.

Turn 31

With him asleep due to rest It seems like a good opportunity to spin away the rocks once more so I switch out to Claydol. Snorlax sleep talks though and gets his 1/3 chance of whirlwinding me. When the whirlind landed I’d be lying if I said i wasn’t annoyed. But by golly, it’s on hell of a game change
Pretty sure you meant "one" there.

Turn 38

At this point, I do not understand why he still didn’t switch into Gligar. Maybe still fearing the ice punch (which I am going to put on Machamp do this never happens again.) I go for the obvious dynamic punch again and his Bronzong is knocked out. He then brings in Roserade to revenge kill Machamp.
I'm faily certain that's supposed to be "so".

Other than that, cool story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)