A tier list graveyard is no place for a young prince

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
04E327F1-F281-40A8-9B50-2900D12AE237.jpeg

Pokémon game protagonists tier list, including both of the Colloseum and Ranger series’ lineups as well. The Gen 3 and Gen 6 versions of Brendan and May, as well as the Sinnoh and Hisui versions of Lucas/Rei and Dawn/Akari are considered their own characters for the purpose of this list.

Ultimately the selection criteria came down to three factors: character design, story relevance, and Pokémon selection. Whether or not the character can be an NPC was also taken into consideration but did not have too big of an impact on my rankings due to their interchangeability. I’m fully expecting this list to be a bit controversial, depending on which games people grew up playing. Finally, some notes on a few of my choices

• The Sinnoh iterations of Lucas and Dawn suffer greatly on this list from being too similar to Hoenn’s Brendan and May, both as player characters and NPCs. They also lack the role of rival, being held by Barry instead, and while they do have their own Pokémon, they’re not seen too much outside of BDSP’s postgame.
  • The two pairs of Unova protagonists face competition on the tier list each other, but that’s only half of the issue. You can tell they were trying so, so hard to make Hilbert “Red 2.0”, and it just doesn’t work on my opinion. The major thing holding them back is the fact that N feels far more like Unova’s main character than the others ever did, especially in the first games.
  • The spin-off series often give characters more room for development and expression, while the nature of these games tends to allow for more complex elements not usually seen in the core series. Pokémon Colloseum’s Wes is a perfect example of this, feeling unique from anyone before or since, while being a genuinely excellent designed character in general.
  • There’s only one S Tier nomination on this list, but even if I wasn’t a die-hard Guardian Signs fan, anyone who’s ever played this game knows that Ben and Summer’s high placements are absolutely justified. These two have it all- a very unique storyline, extremely memorable Pokémon, they’re one of four protagonist pairs (five if you count Wes and his friend Rui) that feel like they could be shipped with someone if that’s something you’re interested in, and they also earn extra brownie points on top of that for being the only Pokémon Ranger protagonists that have access to in-universe multiplayer.

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
1681253609932.png

you man are bickering over saloons/SUVs and which cartoon character is the fittest but nobody's asking the realest questions

like what the best UK supermarket is

1681252239152.png
e: i made this while not paying attention and then realized both aldi and poundland are below waitrose / m&s, woops

Last edited:

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
bakery alone elevates lidl significantly more than that sry but you are wrong
bro 3 lidls have opened up within a 5 minute drive of me and they all have the exact same in-shop layout as the aldi that's been here for 8 years

how am i meant to take them seriously

nothing in there is worth buying so if i want a good bakery i'm going to greggs

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
bakery alone elevates lidl significantly more than that sry but you are wrong
bro 3 lidls have opened up within a 5 minute drive of me and they all have the exact same in-shop layout as the aldi that's been here for 8 years

how am i meant to take them seriously

nothing in there is worth buying so if i want a good bakery i'm going to greggs
idk about the bakery but the one thing i go into lidl for is nuts; the almonds, cashews, walnuts etc feel like stealing, it rules

^ hot tod tip

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
1681440841318.png

I made a tier list of every fully completed year so far during the 21st century based on how enjoyable and/or significant that year was for me. Many of these tier placements can be explained by organizing them by time period, which is what this second tier list below is explaining:

1681441656069.png

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
i too was excited when the internet was invented in 2014
Our family didn't have access to the finances for an unlimited Internet data until the later half of 2014, from what I've been told and what I can remember. Until then, the only times I was ever able to play video games with anything remotely related to online connectivity would be if we were at someone else's house and I could use their Wi-Fi (in most cases, I wouldn't have video games on me, such as for family gatherings) or if it were at some random public location with free Wi-Fi like a restaurant or hotel, where I could then use it for my Nintendo 3DS system(s). 2014 was extremely enjoyable and memorable for me not only because of this, even in spite of Nintendo WFC being shut down earlier that year (the only game I cared about this for was Mario Kart Wii, anyways), but also because of a few miscellaneous factors. 2014 and 2015 were my final years I had a chance to play soccer and grade school, it was the year I "upgraded" to the Wii U for the first time, and it was also the year many of my favorite eighth generation video games released, such as Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. 4, and Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire to name a few.

On an unrelated note: To this day I find it absolutely hilarious that the one game our terrible junior high soccer team won over two seasons just happened to be the same game where my mom and I made a bet that I could buy a Wii U game if I scored a goal. Who cares if this particular soccer game didn't count on our standings? Mario Kart 8 wasn't the only thing I got out of this bet- I also gained bragging rights. Me, the scrawny guy who had so little stamina it legit took me a half hour to run a mile, just scored our only goal of the entire season and won the game 1-0 for you guys. I didn't ever want to hear my teammates complain again.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
View attachment 507630

I made a tier list of every fully completed year so far during the 21st century based on how enjoyable and/or significant that year was for me. Many of these tier placements can be explained by organizing them by time period, which is what this second tier list below is explaining:
how were you partially alive for three years in a row? longest pregnancy of all time?

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
how were you partially alive for three years in a row? longest pregnancy of all time?
I can’t tell if you’re memeing or not, but I was born in the summer of 2002. I didn’t count any year that I wasn’t alive for the full duration of, meaning 2003 would have been the first full year I lived through.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
If I was alive for all of the year except for like 3 minutes do I have to count those as “not alive for whole year” years in my version?

There was an incident with a defibrillator…
You can still count those years as “alive years” in such a scenario. I’m sorry to hear something like that happened.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)