~A N00bs offensive team~

I've been trying out offense lately, to see how it was. After tweaking a team a bit I came to what I have right now. I usually win 4 out of 5 matches on good days, while I can lose 3 matches in a row in bad days. A note to my lovely raters, I am planning to breed this team and use it on WiFi, so legendaries may be hard to obtain for me. Anyways, here is the team.​

Metagross @ Occa Berry
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Adamant
EV's: 252HP/236Att/12Def
-Stealth Rock
-Explosion
-Meteor Mash
-Bullet Punch​

LeadGross. Overused? Yes. Does it work? Yes. This thing is a beast. It can beat most leads 1 on 1 due to its general bulkyness and Explosion. I usually set the rocks up as soon as possible, and then use my attacking move based on who my opponent is. If I get lucky and get attack boosts from Meteor Mash I can often take out a good portion of my opponents team with MM and Bullet Punch alone. What gives me trouble are LeadApes, but I rarely see them anymore. If it looks like I won't come out on top I usually just set up the rocks and Explode or Bullet Punch if they're faster. This is one of my most reliable pokemon, so I would prefer not to change it unless there is a better choice =P What really gives this trouble are Rotom-A, which is why I have...​

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
Nature: Careful
EV's: 168HP/120Def/220Sp.D
-Curse
-Body Slam
-Fire Punch
-Rest

CurseLax, an under-rated threat. This is the pokemon that sweeps most of the time. It can take special hits like a boss and pretty much set up on anything that focuses on the special spectrum. This guy completely walls Rotom-A, but he gets screwed over by Trick, so I have to watch out. I mostly switch into special attacks and start Cursin up on the switch. When I get low on health I use Rest and wait until I wake up by continuing to Curse or attacking. Once I have about 3 to 4 Curses under my belt few things can stop me. Lax is at its most vulnarable when he's asleep, so I have to do it at the right time. I chose Body Slam for the STAB and the paralizys chance. I chose Fire Punch because I needed a way to hit Rotom-A for neutral and steels for super effective. Sometimes I just scout with lax by using Body Slam right off the bat and hoping that I paralyzed one of their pokemon. I would prefer not to change this pokemon, since it has been working extremely well for me.

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Nature: Timid
EV's: 252 Sp.A/252Spd/4HP
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-HP Grass
-Charge Beam

Jolteon, my special attacker. I usually send him out early-game and T-Bolt to see what he switches in to counter it and hopefully get some damage on something. Its movepool is rather limited though, so I mostly rely on Thunderbolt for attacking, using Shadow Ball once in a blue moon. This pokemon relys on its raw power to cripple the opponents pokemon. If I get enough damage on their pokemon and I get rid of all the Ground types I can usually sweep with this thing. It's my teams fastest pokemon, and it's the one that gets it out of thight spaces when it gets in those. This pokemon is pretty reliable and fits my team quite well. I wouldn't mind changing it for something that would work better though. With only one weakness and some pretty good resistances this thing will stay in for sometime. Ground is its sole weakness, which hits my next pokemon for nothing. I originally ran Specs Jolt, but I switched it after getting some pointers and I like this set a lot better.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EV's: 252Att/252Spd/4HP
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Ice Fang
-Stone Edge

DDDos, this is just a beast. After a DD, it laughs at Latias, Mence, other Dos, Infernape, and just about everything that doesn't resist Waterfall or is insanely bulky. I usually switch into predicted Earthquakes directed at Ape, Jolteon, or Metagross and DD up on the switch. I've been noticing that with LO it dies rather quickly, so I'm considering changing its item to lefties. I'm not sure on how much raw power it will lose :/ If there are any Electric attacks directed at him Jolteon can take them on rather easily. I sometimes use him as death fodder, to switch him in and get an Intimidate on my opponent. Nothing much to say about him, he's a "win it all or die uselessly" kind of pokemon. Stealth Rock really takes a toll on him :/ If there are any suggestions to replace him with I'll try them out. He's one of the three pokemon that I think need re-tweaking or replacing, but he's good for now.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EV's: 252Att/244HP/12Spd
-U-Turn
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-Pursuit

CBZor, a pokemon that I just put in to try it out. I've never really swept with him, most of the match he just U-Turns to take chunks of health from my opponent with him and lets others finish it. He's pretty much my "when things get tough throw this guy in" pokemon. I end up sacrificing him lots of times to get a free switch in. He's not strong enough to sweep, and he's not bulky enough to wall. Nonetheless he has proven very helpful when I needed him. The fast Bullet Punch often gets me out of trouble. If there are any suggestions for a replacement to him I'll gladly take them.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Naive
EV's: 252Sp.A/192Spd/64Att
-Hidden Power Ice
-Flamethrower
-Grass Knot
-Close Combat

Good ol' NPApe. He's another one of the 2 pokemon that I threw in to test out. He's my teams wall breaker. I do wish that he were bulkier though, since his defenses are often the end of him. If anyone has any suggestions for a MixSweeper that could take his place I'll try it out. I originally ran Nasty Plot in the first slot, but after getting some reccomendations I've switched over to Hidden Power Ice, which has gotten me some pretty good kills when I needed them.

Well, that's my team. I think it just needs that "click" to put everything together and send it off in the right path. Some problems I've noticed are Machamp, Rotom-A, Jolly Dos, and pretty much everything I give the chance to set up which is in the physical spectrum. I hope you guys can help this N00b get better =P Peace out~

EDIT: I pressed "Enter" before I could finish typing this out D: I'll try to finish this as soon as possible so you can help me with it. Sorry about this :/ FIXED

EDIT2: I forgot to mention this, it's kinda obvious =P I have a HUGE Ground Weakness.

EDIT: I pressed "Enter" before I could finish typing this out D: I'll try to finish this as soon as possible so you can help me with it. Sorry about this :/
lol I hate that

Anyway, onto more serious matters.

LeadGross is good. However, I prefer to drop Explosion for EQ. This allows you to defeat basically any non-Swampert lead in the game, and save Metagross for later. Also, on a sidenote, run at least 12 Speed EVs on Metagross to outspeed the standard Meta lead. Or more- nothing is more annoying to a Metagross lead than a faster Metagross lead and Swampert.

CurseLax? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Now, for GyaraJolt, a solid and useful combo imo. However, SpecsJolt is walled/revenged/defeated/destroyed by too many dang things. The solution is simple: LO Jolt. 252/252/4 spread, I believe Modest is superior but may be mistaken. Moveset, or lack of it, is simply Tbolt/Charge Beam/HP Grass/Shadow Ball. When Jolt comes in on revenge or doesn't need Tbolt's power, Charge Beam. It'll gain you an SpA boost that is immediately noticeable. After that, Ground types are no problem thanks to HP Grass, chosen especially to defeat the omnipresent Swampert. Shadow Ball is just there because its his last viable move, and because it defeats Rotom-A who otherwise walls him (and hurts you). LO Jolt can be a late game beast when played correctly.

Bulkier options for Gyarados abound. You can run a bulkier EV spread, Leftovers, or a Resttalk set. A Resttalking DD Gyara can destroy once water resists are removed. Bulky DD will probably be for you, though, as Resttalk DD just isn't for everyone. On the other hand, Resttalk DD completely destroys stall.

CB Scizor. What you gonna do? Solid as always.

Your specially based Infernape has trouble setting up an NP? Other than that it's good? The mixed sweeper to replace him with is none other than his stylish older brother, Specially-Based Mixape! It's exactly the same, except it runs HP Ice over Nasty Plot. It's great as a mid-game wallbreaker (and Naive is the correct nature, giving it Scizor insurance, and your Ape isn't switching in on any Ice Beams directed at a Mence) and it can break down many a Pokemon. Mence often comes in to revenge kill (thinking its your current set) only to be destroyed by HP Ice in a clean, bloodless OHKO, except for the Mence's blood and the LO recoil of course. Swampert is GKed to death, and STAB ruins everything else. The best Infernape set I've ever used.

Seems like a solid team. Hope this helps.

Luxor's comments definitely helped a lot, but Jolteon should 100% be Timid. The extra speed allows it to continue a sweep against fast opponents, such as once dragon danced Adamant Gyarados. With Life Orb and a Charge Beam boost, Jolteon will be OHKO'ing most everything regardless of nature, so extra speed is preferable.

That sounds right- I have a bad head for remembering EV spreads and natures, so Timid on Jolt.
And as a side note on playing this team, remember to use Thick Fat to sponge up Scizor's Fire weak.

I've been trying out the changes and they work wonders. I'm trying out Leftovers instead of Life Orb for Jolteon right now. Anymore rates?

locopoke

Banned deucer.
I've been trying out offense lately, to see how it was. After tweaking a team a bit I came to what I have right now. I usually win 4 out of 5 matches on good days, while I can lose 3 matches in a row in bad days. A note to my lovely raters, I am planning to breed this team and use it on WiFi, so legendaries may be hard to obtain for me. Anyways, here is the team.​

Metagross @ Occa Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EV's: 252HP/236Att/12Def
-Stealth Rock
-Explosion
-Meteor Mash
-Bullet Punch​

Personally, I'd go with Earthquake instead of Explosion because it helps with Infernape, but that's just me. As of now your set is fine.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
Nature: Careful
EV's: 168HP/120Def/220Sp.D
-Curse
-Body Slam
-Fire Punch
-Rest

You have two stat boosters already and I really don't see what Snorlax contributes to this team. I see that you have 3 ground weakness' and only one immunity, without any resistances. I find that depending on the situation, that could really hurt your team a lot. In this slot, I reccomend possibly using Salamence or Latias, though I think that this team would benefit more from MixMence than it would from Latias. MixMence is good for breaking stall teams, as welll as hitting a lot of common threats in the metagame.

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
Nature: Timid
EV's: 252 Sp.A/252Spd/4HP
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-HP Grass
-Batton Pass

There isn't much that needs to be fixed here. SpecsJolt and Gyarados are an amazing combination but I feel they're overlooked often. My only suggestion would be to replace HP Grass with HP Ice. If you're worried about Swampert, you already have Infernape who can OHKO with Grass Knot, Jolteon would be of better use by hitting Salamence switch-ins.

Gyarados @ Life Orb
EV's: 252Att/252Spd/4HP
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Ice Fang
-Stone Edge

As mentioned above, SpecsJolt and Gyarados are an amazing combination, but I really think that DDGyara won't work as well with Jolteon as you think. I would suggest:

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

I feel that RestTalking Gyarados works a lot better with SpecsJolt. It also gives your team more of a "Bulky Offense" feeling which is what it really is, and Bulky Offense is one of the most popular playing styles in this Metagame.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EV's: 252Att/244HP/12Spd
-U-Turn
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-Pursuit

There isn't much to say or to fix with Scizor. CBScizor is standard and is seen on almost every Bulky Offense team in DPP, it comes as no surprise that it's on your team. The only suggestion I have is to think about replacing Pursuit with Quick Attack, just to help with Zapdos and Infernape's. Most people will expect Pursuit coming from Scizor and they'll keep their Ghost in for another turn, so I feel Bullet Punch gets the job done.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Naive
EV's: 252Sp.A/192Spd/64Att
-Nasty Plot
-Flamethrower
-Grass Knot
-Close Combat

I have no comments about Infernape. I feel your team might benefit more from MixApe rather than using a Nasty Plot set, but that's just me.

Good luck with your team.

After doing some more battles with this team I decided to change the item on my Jolteon to Life Orb permanently, and give it Charge Beam. I also changed my Dos' item to Leftovers, and gave my Infernape Hidden Power Ice instead of Nasty Plot. I still have a pretty big Machamp problem, as well as having a hard time with statusers. Any more comments?

on metagross id go with EQ over Meteor Mash, since you already have a steel attack in bullet punch, and EQ handles infernape, and other metagross leads.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)