3DS/Wii U eShop Shutdown March 27 2023 - Online Services to go offline April 2024 (Bank Excluded)

Eruption Heatran does actually have a pretty easy solution here, and that’s just to make the move teachable by TM or Move Tutor in any game where Heatran exists. (Leave it to the diehard Guardian Signs fan to use that as my go-to example most of the time.) The same ideology could work for a few others, such as what happened with Dark Pulse Deoxys, a Pokémon initially only available via event until Generation 6 from what I remember. Unfortunately, this isn’t a perfect solution since most event exclusive moves are stuff like Psycho Boost or V-Create that most likely won’t be a TM or Move Tutor move anytime soon.

Edit: I just looked it up, and Dark Pulse was a move tutor move in Black & White 2. Sorry about that.
THey could also just throw it in the level up move pool like they did with other event moves

My point about the last example is not "there's no solution", it is "they just don't want to"

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I think Eruption Heatran is specifically one of those cases they *do not* want around because it's too powerful and they *want* these mons to just not be available in first place.
Same as V-Create Rayquaza or Psycho Boost Lugia.

It's basically due to moves like these that the whole "current gen clause" exists in first place, if they never did release op event moves or discontinued tutors, they would never have needed it.
I understand this could just be the Guardian Signs fan in me speaking that didn’t have Internet access until 2014, but I don’t see the harm in letting players access these moves for casual play. I understand this might have implications on VGC or whatever, and to their credit, those event Pokemon likely wouldn’t be allowed in most official tournaments anyways. Gen 6 VGC had that one rule about the little pentagon symbol thingy, for instance (which in retrospect could have made CHALK teams even more busted in 2015 with Eruption Heatran, now that I think about it).

I like R_N’s idea about making these kinds of moves level-up accessible. For the purpose of official tournaments, Pokémon like Lugia and Rayquaza are in the Restricted group, meaning standard play wouldn’t have these event moves anyways.

Under the assumption that movesets will remain moving to SV and onwards, some of those event moves will only be usable in the games as long as both the orginal move learner (Deoxys, Victini) and event move haver (Lugia, Rayquaza) are both coded into the game. In Sword and Shield, Victini is coded into the game so Rayquaza can use V-Create, but Deoxys in not so Lugia cannot select Psycho Boost. For at least the Gen I-IV Pokemon, we can see what moves are considered signature moves for certain Pokemon despite other learners of the move existing in the past by seeing what moves were re-added in BDSP that were not in SwSh that were not HM moves:

Tail Glow (Volbeat and/pr Manaphy, since neither are in SwSh Xurkitree can't select the move)
Heart Swap (Manaphy, and for similar reasons as the former Magearna can't select in in SwSh)
Hidden Power (Unown, it used to be a universal TM)

Once again, assuming that moves will continue to carry over, I wonder what they will do for Unown whenever it appears in a game that doesn't reset movesets again. Will they replace Hidden Power with a different move? Or will they give the move the Dark Void treatment and make it so it fails if used by a non-Unown Pokemon, since looking at how they also cut out most Toxic TM compatibility in BDSP I'm guessing they don't want any old Pokemon to have access to the move again.

Under the assumption that movesets will remain moving to SV and onwards, some of those event moves will only be usable in the games as long as both the orginal move learner (Deoxys, Victini) and event move haver (Lugia, Rayquaza) are both coded into the game. In Sword and Shield, Victini is coded into the game so Rayquaza can use V-Create, but Deoxys in not so Lugia cannot select Psycho Boost. For at least the Gen I-IV Pokemon, we can see what moves are considered signature moves for certain Pokemon despite other learners of the move existing in the past by seeing what moves were re-added in BDSP that were not in SwSh that were not HM moves:

Tail Glow (Volbeat and/pr Manaphy, since neither are in SwSh Xurkitree can't select the move)
Heart Swap (Manaphy, and for similar reasons as the former Magearna can't select in in SwSh)
Hidden Power (Unown, it used to be a universal TM)

Once again, assuming that moves will continue to carry over, I wonder what they will do for Unown whenever it appears in a game that doesn't reset movesets again. Will they replace Hidden Power with a different move? Or will they give the move the Dark Void treatment and make it so it fails if used by a non-Unown Pokemon, since looking at how they also cut out most Toxic TM compatibility in BDSP I'm guessing they don't want any old Pokemon to have access to the move again.
I'm guessing they do the second option and just make Hidden Power true exclusive to Unown and be done with it. Path of least resistance is often the clearest.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
It's officially happening. Next year, online services for the 3DS/Wii U systems are to be discontinued.

"In early April 2024, online play and other functionality that uses online communication will end for Nintendo 3DS* and Wii U software. This also includes online co-operative play, internet rankings, and data distribution."

Will any online services still be available even after online services generally end?

It will still be possible to use online services for the following software but that may also end at some point in the future.
  • Pokémon Bank
An exemption for Pokemon alone, aren't we lucky.

Genuine question: what's the likelihood that some clever people keep Bank/Transporter going unofficially through new servers, as with https://pkmnclassic.net/? I know there's an offline homebrew version that already exists (I won't link to it but I don't need to, it's incredibly easy to find), so it might just be that.

It's officially happening. Next year, online services for the 3DS/Wii U systems are to be discontinued.

"In early April 2024, online play and other functionality that uses online communication will end for Nintendo 3DS* and Wii U software. This also includes online co-operative play, internet rankings, and data distribution."

An exemption for Pokemon alone, aren't we lucky.
Tsk, not surprised but still disappointed.
I am surprised at Bank still being up though. Wonder if GameFreak had to actively make a deal with Nintendo for that.
Genuine question: what's the likelihood that some clever people keep Bank/Transporter going unofficially through new servers, as with https://pkmnclassic.net/? I know there's an offline homebrew version that already exists (I won't link to it but I don't need to, it's incredibly easy to find), so it might just be that.
I don't see much reason for there to be unofficial servers for Bank, though. It would likely be unable to connect to Home (if it COULD connect to Home that would likely result in an instaban lol), and that'd be the only reason to want online servers. Otherwise the offline version does everything you'd want it to and arguably be better at what you want it to do.

If fans set up unofficial servers for anything it'd be for the mainline games instead.

QuentinQuonce

I don't see much reason for there to be unofficial servers for Bank, though. It would likely be unable to connect to Home (if it COULD connect to Home that would likely result in an instaban lol), and that'd be the only reason to want online servers.
Mm, that's a good point. I suppose they could possibly tweak how Home works to allow transfers direct from the 3DS titles but let's be real, they're not going to do that.

Digital-only is such an insecure way of doing things, and ironically as it turns out it's not even future-proof. Ugh.

Mm, that's a good point. I suppose they could possibly tweak how Home works to allow transfers direct from the 3DS titles but let's be real, they're not going to do that.

Digital-only is such an insecure way of doing things, and ironically as it turns out it's not even future-proof. Ugh.
It's even less futureproof when the owner is "I'd rather let my games disappear than you emulate or change them" Nintendo

(That said I am still a fan of digital only and will defend it with my gym badges)

Tsk, not surprised but still disappointed.
I am surprised at Bank still being up though. Wonder if GameFreak had to actively make a deal with Nintendo for that.

I don't see much reason for there to be unofficial servers for Bank, though. It would likely be unable to connect to Home (if it COULD connect to Home that would likely result in an instaban lol), and that'd be the only reason to want online servers. Otherwise the offline version does everything you'd want it to and arguably be better at what you want it to do.

If fans set up unofficial servers for anything it'd be for the mainline games instead.
so what you're saying is we need homebrew home

I hope that the Bank servers stay up long enough that there would be a game released where we can drop off our Furfrou.

Well, we're now approaching the point where if there are any Pokémon in the old games that you have any sentimental attachement towards, or any transferrable qualities like ribbons or such, the time to move them over is now.

so what you're saying is we need homebrew home
I think there is homebrew, or otherwised hacked, Home but there's certain things real Home does that the homebrew/hack can't so it still marks them as illegal iirc

Probably something to revisit when Nintendo starts the Switch Online shut downs within a few years and we go through all this again.

I hope that the Bank servers stay up long enough that there would be a game released where we can drop off our Furfrou.

Well, we're now approaching the point where if there are any Pokémon in the old games that you have any sentimental attachement towards, or any transferrable qualities like ribbons or such, the time to move them over is now.
I think the calculation was the current pass will run out at the end of 2027.
While not a guarantee that's how long Bank gets to stay up (I think it's somewhat likely, if it was meant to be gone by the end of 2024 or even 2025 I think they'd probably have said so now?) surely within 4 years we get at least one game with a Furfrou in it and preferably also a game that lets you take Spindas in & out .

QuentinQuonce

(That said I am still a fan of digital only and will defend it with my gym badges)
Oh don't get me wrong so am I in certain contexts. Like it emerged a few years back that physical copies of the 3DS games were (already!) starting to degrade, so I downloaded Omega Ruby and Ultra Sun just so I'd have some way of playing those games if/when my Alpha Sapphire/Ultra Moon cartridges ever gave up the ghost.

Conversely though while I've also got Gold, Silver, and Crystal downloaded and so can play those forever, once PokeTransporter stops working, migration from those games is done with. Which ironically replicates the original scenario of those games' cartridges ceasing to work and the Pokemon on them being unable to leave and be transferred up to gen III.

So digital-only is marvellous in some ways. But not all.

I mean that's also Nin "buy mario bros again" ten "be happy this month we've deemed you get metroid" do
Also the "we'll put this online game up for 6 months and 6 months only after which it's completely gone".

Man the gaming industry is a shitshow recently but Nintendo somehow manages to get the weirdest choices....

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
The news of this shutdown doesn’t really surprise me, but in a surprising sort of way I honestly don’t think it’s as big of a deal as we think it is. We happen to have access to live player data for custom/homebrew online servers for DS and Wii titles, and as far as I’m concerned, the only games that would have ever had a significant number of people all playing online at the same time were Mario Kart games. For the purpose of Pokémon games, your only reasons people would go back to those would be for that one thing where you can get old event Pokémon, or maybe if you’re doing something extremely specific like trying to get all of the Medals in B2W2.

The obvious counterargument here is that people might use these custom online servers more if the games themselves were still available. And normally I would say this is a very valid point… if we didn’t also have evidence to suggest consumers tend to not buy older games as much even when they are available. By and large, consumers tend to prefer newer content that they haven’t experienced before, and while there’s plenty of people out there who want to relive the glory days, you also have a silent majority that acknowledges quality of life changes absent from older titles.

I'm also not really surprised by this. They did just shut down the online shop this year after all. Nintendo likely doesn't see the financial incentive to keep up servers for games that very few if anyone is buying. Would it be nice to still have them up and not have to rely on fanmade servers which also may go down one day? I mean yeah, but it was gonna happen eventually. Bank is most likely the only one spared because of TPC and their desire to keep transfers open.

On a semi-related side note, I hate how Serebii doesn't cite sources for its news updates.
Nintendo has announced that in early 2024, all Nintendo 3DS online services will go offline. This means that online play for Pokémon X & Y, Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon Sun & Moon and Pokémon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon will cease to be operational.
However, it has been confirmed that Pokémon Bank will continue to run after this time so you will still be able to use that software and transfer Pokémon to Pokémon HOME. The Pokémon Company state there will be a time when Bank goes offline so recommend transferring Pokémon to HOME sooner rather than later.
With Nintendo Badge Arcade, after this time you will no longer be able to load the app and put badges in your badge box meaning you can only store 1000 Badges after this. With 2,077 different Pokémon badges, it will be impossible to save all the badges onto your 3DS at any one time, but you can split them across different SD cards
It says that TPC has stated there will be a time when Bank goes offline (emphasis mine), yet when I look at gaming news releases on this or even just Nintendo's own announcement I only see them say it may end with no reference to this (again, emphasis mine). In fact the only thing I can see from Pokémon's end is back from the E-Shop closing saying there were no plans to shut it down. Either Serebii found some source I couldn't find even on Pokémon's official website or just editorialized something into being more definitive than it really was, and I can't tell what it is because they don't say where they got it from.
:mad:

Also it just needs another lookover from an editor or someone because some of those sentences need some work, but that's a separate issue. :mehowth:

Last edited:
I'm also not really surprised by this. They did just shut down the online shop this year after all. Nintendo likely doesn't see the financial incentive to keep up servers for games that very few if anyone is buying. Would it be nice to still have them up and not have to rely on fanmade servers which also may go down one day? I mean yeah, but it was gonna happen eventually. Bank is most likely the only one spared because of TPC and their desire to keep transfers open.

On a semi-related side note, I hate how Serebii doesn't cite sources for its news updates.

It says that TPC has stated there will be a time when Bank goes offline (emphasis mine), yet when I look at gaming news releases on this or even just Nintendo's own announcement I only see them say it may end with no reference to this (again, emphasis mine). In fact the only thing I can see from Pokémon's end is back from the E-Shop closing saying there was no plans to shut it down. Either Serebii found some source I couldn't find even on Pokémon's official website or just editorialized something into being more definitive than it really was, and I can't tell what it is because they don't say where they got it from.

Also it just needs another lookover from an editor or someone because some of those sentences need some work, but that's a separate issue. :mehowth:
the fact that we are stuck with serebii as our most well known source for pokemon anything is truly proof that we as a community have sinned

Serebii's got problems but I'd still rather have him than not

It would be great if he actually linked to press releases he references, though. Sometimes there's stuff not in his summary, sometimes it's just nice having a direct link to something.
Especially since sometimes there's news on a (publically accessible) press server but not on an actual website, or has different PR in it.

I'm definitely not saying I wouldn't have Serebii. In fact I think he's a net positive for the community over all. It's more that in this case it's helpful to know where exactly this is coming from especially if it involves not being able to transfer anything from gen 7 or earlier.

It says that TPC has stated there will be a time when Bank goes offline (emphasis mine), yet when I look at gaming news releases on this or even just Nintendo's own announcement I only see them say it may end with no reference to this (again, emphasis mine). In fact the only thing I can see from Pokémon's end is back from the E-Shop closing saying there was no plans to shut it down. Either Serebii found some source I couldn't find even on Pokémon's official website or just editorialized something into being more definitive than it really was, and I can't tell what it is because they don't say where they got it from.

It was probably just in a PR email he got, not on a publicly available source. There is a PR webpage that you need to know how to look for, but I don't know that everything in the emails they send out is posted on that site.

Either way, I think you might be reading too much into the use of "will" or "may" here. Even 'will' doesn't necessarily mean they have a definitive end date in mind, because it's guaranteed the service will end eventually, whether by Nintendo/TPC's will or act of Arceus.

I think the calculation was the current pass will run out at the end of 2027.
While not a guarantee that's how long Bank gets to stay up (I think it's somewhat likely, if it was meant to be gone by the end of 2024 or even 2025 I think they'd probably have said so now?) surely within 4 years we get at least one game with a Furfrou in it and preferably also a game that lets you take Spindas in & out .
The way the post-eShop "free trial" of Bank works, it's for a large number of days where only the last two digits of the day count are displayed in the app. Plotting out all the possible numbers that could come before those digits, and the days they would lead to, one of the most plausible possibilities pointed to an expiration date of December 31, 2027. However, subject to fuzzy interpretations about whether it's counting down to the start of the day or the end, another consistent possibility is to have the countdown end on December 31, 2050, which is noteworthy because that's the latest date that can be set in the user-configurable time settings on the 3DS. (Switch is more forward-looking and allows you to set dates as far forward as 2060, but these are both regressions from the original DS which went all the way up to 2099.)

If it's counting down to the 2027 date, I could seriously believe them intending to keep the service running that long and no further. We would also find out whether this is the case or not as of April 6, 2025, because on that date, a countdown to the end of 2027 would tick over from "?00 days" to "999 days". Meanwhile, if it's counting down to 2050, I wouldn't expect them to keep the servers running that long, and instead it should be thought of as a placeholder date until the plug suddenly gets pulled. My best estimate about when they would be likely to do so was probably around 2027 anyway, but maybe move it up a year in light of this latest announcement.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)