DOU 2020 Doubles Invitational [won by Qwello Lee]

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Standard Rules and Clauses
  • Endless Battle Clause: Players cannot use any moveset on any Pokémon capable of intentionally causing an endless battle. Thus:
    • A Pokémon may not carry Recycle and hold a Leppa Berry in conjunction with Heal Pulse and Milk Drink, Moonlight, Morning Sun, Recover, Roost, Slack Off, Soft-Boiled, or Wish.
    • A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry while carrying Recycle and Pain Split.
    • A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry while carrying Recycle and Fling
  • Evasion Clause: Players cannot use the moves Double Team or Minimize.
  • OHKO Clause: Players cannot use the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Sheer Cold.
  • Species Clause: Players cannot have two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number on the same team.
  • Gravity Sleep Clause: Sleep moves with below one hundred percent accuracy may not be used in conjunction with Gravity.
  • Dynamax Clause: You cannot dynamax.
Players cannot use the following Pokémon:
  • Calyrex-Ice
  • Calyrex-Shadow
  • Dialga
  • Eternatus
  • Giratina
  • Giratina-Origin
  • Groudon
  • Ho-Oh
  • Jirachi
  • Kyogre
  • Kyurem-White
  • Lugia
  • Lunala
  • Magearna
  • Melmetal
  • Mewtwo
  • Necrozma-Dawn Wings
  • Necrozma-Dusk Mane
  • Palkia
  • Rayquaza
  • Reshiram
  • Solgaleo
  • Urshifu (Single Strike)
  • Xerneas
  • Yveltal
  • Zacian
  • Zacian-Crowned
  • Zamazenta
  • Zamazenta-Crowned
  • Zekrom
Players cannot use the following abilities:
  • Power Construct
  • Shadow Tag
Players cannot use the following moves:
  • Swagger

Welcome to the 2020 Doubles Invitational

This tournament is the culmination of each of the tournaments held during the 2020 Doubles OU circuit. The top 16 players will duke it out for the title of 2020 Circuit Champion and a fancy ribbon!

Finals
(banners by Brumirage)

(11) Qwello Lee vs shrop (12)

Top 4
Banners by Brumirage

(9) JRL vs shrop (12)

(11) Qwello Lee vs Frania (7)

Top 8
Banners by Brumirage

(16) AuraRayquaza vs JRL (9)

(2) Memoric vs Frania (7)

(14) umbry vs Qwello Lee (11)

(4) SMB vs shrop (12)

Top 16
(1) Ezrael vs AuraRayquaza (16)
(2) Memoric
vs Demantoid (15)
(3) Z Strats vs umbry (14)
(4) SMB
vs Kiichikos (13)
(5) Tenzai vs shrop (12)
(6) YoBuddy vs Qwello Lee (11)
(7) Frania
vs Paraplegic (10)
(8) Shadowmonstr7 vs JRL (9)
As always, replays are required for this tournament. Also, be sure to post your match times so we can watch live and possibly even stream!

This is a single elimination, Best of 3 SS Doubles OU tournament.

Good luck to everyone, looking forward to some great games!

Last edited:

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Predicts

(1) Ezrael vs AuraRayquaza (16) Impossible to predict against Ezrael here as he's just coming off a seasonal win to finish off an amazing year. The only real question is how quickly he will be able to transition to the new meta as we have not seen any games from him. AuraRay is good as well, but Ezrael has just been too good to predict against.
(2) Memoric vs Demantoid (15) Rematch of the classic finals, but this time in gen 8. Memoric has been more impressive throughout the year in gen 8 than Demantoid who hasn't had any standout tournaments. Memoric is coming off an undefeated dwcop run rn as well and looks to be one of the top players at he moment. Demantoid has the potential to come up with some good creative ideas, but it's not enough for me to favour him here.
(3) Z Strats vs umbry (14) This one is super close as both players are super good and I could honestly see it going either way. I'm going with Z Strats as I think he could maybe get an edge in the builder vs a player who doesn't tend to usually deviate to far from standard compositions, but umbry is super good and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see her take this.
(4) SMB vs Kiichikos (13) SMB seems to be enjoying himself again and doing well after leaving the garbage old meta. Even then, he made sure to leave it behind by winning his 3rd DLT in a row. Kiichikos has not been that impressive all year with no real results in individual tours outside of classic and mediocre team tours. SMB also seems to be able to thrive in newer metas where he can come up with some sets to get an edge on what most people are using, big edge to him.
(5) Tenzai vs shrop (12) This one is fairly interesting and I think is also super close. At the start of the year, Tenzai did not have any real results and shrop had been away from the game for many years. Both proved themselves to be great players this year with many good results to make it here. Tenzai has been consistent throughout the year with 2 tournament finals while shrop came on strong at the end with a deep run in the fall seasonal. Both, did not do amazing in World Cup, so it is hard to gauge their skill in the new meta, but I'm more familiar with shrop and trust him as a builder, so I'm going to give him the edge here. Like umbry vs z strats though, I wouldn't surprise me to see this one go the other way.
(6) YoBuddy vs Qwello Lee (11) Both of these players as well proved themselves this year with some great performances. YoBuddy started off the year with a seasonal finals appearance and then seemed to cool off, but he came back with a deep run in the fall seasonal and has shown some decent results in the new meta. Qwello has had good circuit results, but has really been great lately with 7 wins in snake and an undefeated dwcop performance. YoBuddy can come up with some creative ideas in the builder that I think could turn this in his favour, but Qwello is too hot rn for me to predict against him.
(7) Frania vs Paraplegic (10) This one is fairly evenly matched as both players have been pretty consistent throughout the year with no super huge standout tournaments. Just gonna bold off of what I've seen in the new meta and I think frania has looked a bit more impressive. Para proved that he is a good builder this year though, so if he can avoid using bad mons like Moltres-G then he should be able to have a good chance here.
(8) Shadowmonstr7 vs DLT JRL BELL (9) Both have had similar results this year with each having a good dpl and one deep seasonal run. There is nothing much on Shadow's ability in the new meta while JRL has gotten 3 wins in dwcop. I have never really been impressed with Shadowmonstr as a builder, so there isn't much reason for me to expect him to have an edge there now. Shadow also tends to play more safely from what I've seen and I think JRL's more aggressive style matches up well against him.

Good luck everyone, hope to see some good games

sawamura

Banned deucer.
Top 16
(1) Ezrael vs AuraRayquaza (16) :I have witnessed how formidable and overwhelming Ezrael has been throughout the 2020 circuit and to see the return of aurarayquaza was very encouraging which has left me very excited. Ezrael has not shown his face much in the crown tundra but we are sure that we will see him with good teams in this invitational at the pace that aurarayquaza is going to show, because of what he has shown or always has shown.
(2) Memoric vs Demantoid (15) : I keep my word not to go against Memoric who is one of the best players that the format has had, his teams are really good and to see him come back to the Council is a good satisfaction, Demantoid has had a dull beginning of the year and his return to the circuit has been very silent along with his crazy ideas of Mons VR that allowed him to continue accumulating points to take the routes firmly, however this match I cannot go against Glenn who has the bases to give a good hit where they could show us a good match
(3) Z Strats vs umbry (14) : This is without a doubt one of the most evenly matched games in the top 16 in which the balance is adjusted for both sides, Z Strats has a very good adjustment for the opponents which can create Teams according to their opponent with which they have to face being Umbry a standard player as a team but with a high level of playability letting the opponent know that he is not going to be an easy player.
(4) SMB vs Kiichikos (13) : without Words
(5) Tenzai vs shrop (12) : another interesting game which I would like to see, Shrop returns in a strong way in the middle of the year while tenzai was formed in the second half also which could be a space in the Snake Draft being the preparation of each of them, I remember when tenzai told me about the hype of Snake seeing how he had been drafted I was excited and gives me confidence to have him in a teamtour, Shrop is not an easy player and will give the maximum to give a good show
(6) YoBuddy vs Qwello Lee (11) : The truth is that both of them come from a very good run but Qwello comes from an undefeated Wcop and that puts him in a better position.
(7) Frania vs Paraplegic (10) : by reference
(8) Shadowmonstr7 vs DLT JRL BELL (9) : My friend Jose You could do it and you surpassed me completely HAHAHA I hope you do well this invitational Luck, I go for this bet for sure because your games have been a show and your way of doing Teams helped you to complete difficult games,

Ezrael vs AuraRayquaza | Impossible to pick against the most dominant DOU player of the year. 2 seasonal wins, 12-7 combined SPL and Snake record, and a Doubles Classic Playoffs appearance. The only potential knock against him is that he didn't play in DWCOP, the only tournament with the same format as circuit playoffs, but maybe that was just so he didn't reveal his genius ideas '-' I also don't see Nails anywhere in the bracket so he'll have all the support he needs.

Memoric vs Demantoid | Memoric is one of the best DOUers at the moment, spotting a flawless DWCOP record as well as leading APAC to the finals as massive underdogs. Demantoid, while being an ace quote collector, has not impressed me much in the current generation, with 3 / 4 / 2 point showing in seasonals and well as a 1-2 DWCOP record and skipping Snake. Of course, he's still a great player in his own right, but I think Memoric has the edge currently.

Z Strats vs umbry | [8:25 PM] Z Strats: you're such a coward emma

SMB vs Kiichikos | SMB is probably the best DOUer of all time and is finally playing a meta he really enjoys. I love and adore Kiichi, but similar to Demantoid, she qualified mostly on classic (but did have a solid Winter Seasonal) and struggled in DWCOP. It's usually quite hard to predict against SMB, but even more so given the current circumstances.

Tenzai vs shrop | GL Tenzai -- [11:22 AM] shrop: excited to announce i found the brokens

YoBuddy vs Qwello Lee | Qwello turned being ranked last in preseason rankings into sporting the best DOU Snake record at 7-3. He also currently holds the best record in DWCOP at 5-0. While I love YoBuddy and his colorful collection of alts, I can't predict against someone with such the run of dominance Qwello is currently enjoying.

Frania vs Paraplegic | Paraplegic had to cheese Maki in order to win in DWCOP. I cannot respect him anymore. Go Frania.

Shadowmonstr7 vs DLT JRL BELL | I hope JRL wins the entire thing so he can rack up posts and get closer and closer to his name change. Luckily for him, he's getting a free act win Round 1 as there is no way Shadowmonstr schedules properly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)