2012 music

Well shit I guess I have to link something now. This came out like a month ago but I don't remember anyone linking it. Cognitive by Soen sounds a shit ton like Tool (almost a creepy amount like Tool in fact). If you enjoy Tool at all I can't imagine you wouldn't get some degree of enjoyment out of it. Notable members are ex-Opeth drummer Martin Lopez and bassist Steve Digiorgio, who's played in a ton of great metal bands.

[youtube]zRN4L8AmcpM[/youtube]
I like it, but it's too much Tool worship (I basically want to listen to the original every time).

My favourite releases so far (everything I gave four stars, alphabetical order):

Burial - Kindred EP
Beach House -Bloom
Big K.R.I.T. - 4eva N a Day
Caravels/Gifts From Enola - Well Worn
Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
Crippled Black Phoenix - (Mankind) The Crafty Ape
Matt Ellliot - The Broken Man
Klaus & Kinski - Herreros y fatigas
Mgla - With Hearts Toward None
Overkill - The Electric Age
Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction

Cooky

Banned deucer.
[youtube]Ccv6ivKXlWw[/youtube]

so lovely

[youtube]xOSuHih_pZo[/youtube]

when the beat comes in its just sensational, one of my new favourites i guess. black sands remixed is an amazing album, def recommend

2012s looking good

Iunno, I've seen everyone and their mother hyping up the new Overkill and I thought it was good, but I really preferred Ironbound by a decent amount. Don't get me wrong, The Electric Age has some jams, but I was just slightly disappointed considering all the hype. Just my 2 cents.
Must have had cotton in my ears or something on first listen, new Overkill DOES slay.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
if you're going to make a ridiculous blanket statement at least back it up.

what have you listened to? in what way was was it terrible?

my favourite release this year so far has been

Blazo - Reflections

a collection of really laid back jazz hop, some instrumental, some not. it's just so incredibly tranquil and each layer so subtle and non-invasive that you may find yourself enjoying the instrumentals more!!

[youtube]6KsqDimoXqs[/youtube]​

and here's some other cool stuff

Real Estate - Easy

it's real estate, based on the strength of their last release i'd be an idiot not to listen to this!!

Young Magic - Melt

i think i picked this off of a music label whose name i can't quite remember and being associated with another artist that i liked, their name i also forget. it's ambient chillwave i guess? pretty cool if you're into that kind of thing.

A Place to Bury Strangers - Onwards to the Wall

straight from the shoegaze scene, more explosive than most

of Montreal - Paralytic Stalks

yeah i guess these guys have been kind of downhill for me ever since the Id Engager single from Skeletal Lamping but I am still a pretty big fan!! this release wasn't anything special, but considering they're pumping out albums at this rate i guess i shouldn't be too disappointed...

The Mars Volta - Noctourniquet

i mean it was ok

that's most of what i've found cool from this year. i hope there's more to come!!

edit: @rory then perhaps you should take the time to read through this thread and listen to some of what others have posted before posting in a manner that implies you have listened to everything thus far in 2012 when you have been listening trite atrocities

So I was browsing youtube when I stumbled upon this little band from Toronto who released an EP earlier this year. It's some nice, chill 80's style pop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_NkXJmc5U4

And to the ignoramus who thinks no good music has come out this year: look through this thread and listen to some real music. It has many good suggestions; whilst everybody's tastes differ, there is a relatively diverse selection of quality songs and I'm sure you'll like at least some of it.

manafii that was splendid, thanks for sharing

i had heard their name before since they're friends of friends but never bothered checking them out

something particularly pretty about the album cover too, it resonates

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Definitely great news. I liked the latest album a ton, and I understand its accessibility, but it still got way too poppy for me at times. I miss the dreamlike, ethereal Sigur Ros and will be happy to have them back.

okay

Beach House - Bloom
Killing Joke - MMXII
Overkill - The Electric Age

my top three so far, in no order (haven't listened to the new High on Fire yet); also, I'm probably giving the new KJ too much credit (especially after listening to it once), but it rules too much..

gotta relisten

Hello.

Is nobody talking about iamamiwhoami? Has anyone heard of them, do they like/dislike? They uploaded a new track 'play' today, and although it’s not like they’ve done before (although what is, they are great at surprises), it's very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJBC8L3pG_Y

Mind you, I love near enough everything they've done. In Concert was one of the most glorious things of 2010 and t from the BOUNTY saga remains one of my favourite songs ever.

For those who don't know, iamamiwhoami (Jonna Lee is the front woman, even though she’s never admitted it, and who knows what goes on behind the scenes) upload stuff to youtube whenever they want to and it's the only way they communicate to the fans. They don't have twitter, facebook, or even a functioning website (although they've directed us to sites before through a youtube video).

They are going to release their debut album (even though they've been uploading sporadically since 2009), an audiovisual affair called 'kin', on June 11th. This is one of 4 tracks currently released from this album. They released Sever, Drops and Good Worker each a fortnight apart, so it's logical to assume that we'll get the next video to the next on the 10th of april (although this is NOT confirmed, we're just guessing). The kin videos all follow on from each other (in the order stated above, starting with Sever), so the story isn’t finished yet.

I think iamamiwhoami are special. The prelude videos, the BOUNTY saga, In Concert (an incredible ‘live’ experience) and now kin-so-far have all been spectacular both visually and sonically and I cannot wait to see what comes next. Admittedly part of the charm is the uncertainty and mystery, so to absorb their entire discography so far might not be the same as waiting for months for any signs of life, however I think they deserve a lot of attention for their stunning work.

I’m sorry, this sounds like a giant ramble of an iam-campaign (and to be honest...), so in terms of other music; Ladyhawke leaked and is pretty alright (at the moment, I prefer her debut), the next album I’m looking forward to is Santigold in late april, my favourite up-and-coming artist is I Am Harlequin and although I’m disappointed Dandi and Marta quit/were kicked (WHO KNOWS) out of Fan Death, I’ll give the new FD a chance, I just wish they’d change their name.

Uh, I guess that's all, I'll see myself out.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
wow, not sure what I just watched but I loved it

and I want one of those suits for Halloween next year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)