2011 NCAA Football Thread

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
Arkansas to beat LSU - Alabama to SEC title game
Georgia beats Alabama - ????

Really curious to see what would happen then. If say after Arkansas beats LSU, then it was Alabama Arkansas LSU at the top of the rankings, what happens if Georgia beats Alabama? Does Arkansas play in the NCS and #2 LSU not go to a BCS game because only 2 teams from one conference can go? Not sure how it works but that would be some crazy stuff.

Houston has to be liking this. Doubt they will jump Oklahoma State or Stanford in the rankings, but they should be around #6 tomorrow.

Really excited by the next few weeks and I hope Arkansas beats LSU for the sake of starting absolute chaos.

So, Oklahoma State, Stanford and Boise State... hell, Houston are in the BCS discussion...? I haven't seen an upset crazy season like this since 2007, when a two loss LSU was the National Champion.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
two loss Fraud Champion.
two losses should automatically disqualify you from title contention just sayin'

But man, fuck this. :( Fucking BCS, fucking SEC. Fucking SEC and their virtual home bowl games because heaven forbid a bowl game be played in the northern half of the country.

All virginia tech needs is for LSU to beat Arkansas and lose to UGA. Then they need to win the ACC Championship and they have a decent shot at the BCS title game!

Boise #7, Houston #8 - my prediction that these two will be forced to face each other to protect BCS from embarrassment will come true even with Boise NOT undefeated lol

What do you guys think of the Ohio State coaching discussion? Attending the university, I've heard mixed feelings towards the situation. Many want to keep Fickell, while others want Meyer as soon as to coach the Michigan game.

at this point I'm just rooting for Arkansas for the shitstorm that will happen if they win

But man, fuck this. :( Fucking BCS, fucking SEC. Fucking SEC and their virtual home bowl games because heaven forbid a bowl game be played in the northern half of the country.
These decisions are made for the benefit of both teams and the fans. Who the hell would want bowl games in a blizzard? It'd be a nightmare for traffic as well, something that's annoying enough for NFL teams to deal with and certainly worth avoiding if it can be avoided.

YTP, Virginia Tech will be the second-lowest ranked one loss team (deservedly so) if they finish at 12-1. That means they'll be behind Arkansas, Alabama, Oklahoma State, and probably Stanford if they all finish 11-1 or 12-1. Their only shot would be Auburn beating Bama, LSU beating Arkansas, Stanford losing to Notre Dame or making the Pac 12 championship game and losing, plus Oklahoma beating Ok State. Besides, who the hell would want an ACC team in the national championship game?

CK, though this is probably what the BCS will decide, doesn't the Sugar Bowl get "first dibs" on teams for losing the SEC champion? If they do and they make the pick based on the most interesting team/the team that will garner the most views, surely they'd choose Stanford (assuming Oregon goes to the Rose Bowl) or the loser of the Oklahoma/Oklahoma State game. I don't know how the BCS factors into the decision or whether the Sugar Bowl itself makes the decision, but if the latter does they should try to avoid that matchup if possible!

Meyer is a great coach, but if he returns to coaching you have to wonder about his health. Will he still be healthy enough to coach in two or three years? With this in mind, if I were making the decision to hire him I'd stick with who I had, but if I were looking for a new coach after a firing I'd take Meyer in a heartbeat.

talk about a boring day for football

only interesting game so far was Michigan finally sticking it to Ohio State!

LSU-Bama is now official for the BCS National Championship game, even if LSU loses to UGA (barring some loophole involving only 2 SEC teams making the BCS games in the event UGA wins or something), and all the other BCS bowl matchups will have to be decided next week I guess

OSU can still make the title game if they win out.
The Big 12 no longer has a title game, so OSU's only shot to impress the voters would be dominating Oklahoma next week. Even in the event of a big victory, I still don't see them jumping over Bama in the standings after their thrashing of Auburn.

I guess it's possible, as the computer polls already have OSU at #2 ahead of Bama, but I wouldn't count on it.

Looking ahead to next week, the SEC championship will only be interesting if UGA's offense shows up, Ok-Ok State should be interesting in that there might be over a hundred points scored, and the Big 10 championship rematch should be fun too. Clemson will get shat on in the ACC championship for the fourth time in the past five games, as will 6-6 UCLA in the Pac-12 championship.

Meanwhile, Alabama, Arkansas, Stanford, and Michigan get to sit and watch these games from home!

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Now that I'm not obligated to hate on USC for being the Golden Child of the NCAA, I find it somewhat encouraging that they continue to be pretty good and should come out of their sanctions looking to get back on track as an elite football program.

The idea of Alabama in the NCG can go fuck itself. They had their chance at LSU and lost and last I knew, Michigan vs. Ohio State a few years back taught us that it doesn't matter whether or not you're the de facto "second best team." The NCG should never feature a regular-season rematch... Hypocritically, I will totally be rooting for them if they go, just to stick it to LSU after their undeserving, never-should've-gotten-a-shot two-loss championship bid.

And speaking of which, my Buckeyes man... :( HOW DO YOU SPIKE IT ON THIRD DOWN AT THE END OF THE GAME?! I take solace in the fact that this is Michigan's best season in a while and the worst season OSU has had I can remember, not to mention the NCAA pooping on OSU because oh no some players sold their own property, and they still barely won. But still, sucks as always. Maybe if Miller didn't overthrow a wide open Posey on what could've been three or four easy touchdowns...

I was wondering if there was a good reason for spiking the ball, especially since he wasted a good 10+ seconds before doing so. I believe Miller is only a freshman, so they should improve next year if their defense doesn't lose too many key players.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)