Pokémon Dracovish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to make sense of these numbers... Neutral Fishious Rend is stronger than a SE coverage move, right? And resisted Fishious Rend vs neutral coverage? And then in some cases we're looking at resisted Fishious Rend being nearly comparable to SE coverage? So really your coverage moves just need to be tailored specifically to your Water resists/immunities.

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just to make sense of these numbers... Neutral Fishious Rend is stronger than a SE coverage move, right? And resisted Fishious Rend vs neutral coverage? And then in some cases we're looking at resisted Fishious Rend being nearly comparable to SE coverage? So really your coverage moves just need to be tailored specifically to your Water resists/immunities.
Yeah, exactly. Coverage is essentially Crunch for Jellicent and Psychic Fangs for Toxapex, not sure what you'd run in the last slot yet. Maybe something for faster Hydreigon if you think it's locked and want to go for a hit, like Ice Fang / Dragon coverage? Dragon coverage lets you delete opposing Dracovish as well but relying on Dragon Rush’s accuracy is rough and Outrage’s lock is exploitable by stuff like OTR Hatterene and Corviknight

Last edited:

Marigold

formerly KuraiTenshi26
Yeah, exactly. Coverage is essentially Crunch for Jellicent and Psychic Fangs for Toxapex, not sure what you'd run in the last slot yet. Maybe something for faster Hydreigon if you think it's locked and want to go for a hit, like Ice Fang / Dragon coverage? Dragon coverage lets you delete opposing Dracovish as well but relying on Dragon Rush’s accuracy is rough and Outrage’s lock is exploitable by stuff like OTR Hatterene and Corviknight
Low Kick is what I've been using as a 4th move to hit Ferrothorn for more immediate damage.

Also, this has been an insane journey over the past week or so. Between labbing out mechanics and theorycrafting teammates, I'm so glad I've been investing in this monstrous boi since day 1. I updated the OP to reflect the new discoveries regarding Fishious Rend mechanics. I've really enjoyed all this exploration and hope you all strive to push your favourites too!

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Low Kick is what I've been using as a 4th move to hit Ferrothorn for more immediate damage.

Also, this has been an insane journey over the past week or so. Between labbing out mechanics and theorycrafting teammates, I'm so glad I've been investing in this monstrous boi since day 1. I updated the OP to reflect the new discoveries regarding Fishious Rend mechanics. I've really enjoyed all this exploration and hope you all strive to push your favourites too!
I was using Low Kick before today to 2HKO ferro on switch-in since I didn't think Fishious Rend would work on switch, but after it was found that rend works on switch I've been a lot less eager to use it. Does about 3% extra HP compared to Rend, but weight-based moves fail against dynamaxed Pokemon, so I've been mostly staying away from locking into them in this meta.

Coverage should only be considered for fang moves or cases like a double Water resist or an immunity. A mere "resisted vs super effective" situation is not enough.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Dracovish @ Choice Band
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Ice Fang

Could maybe go for Body Slam as a fourth just to get paralysis spreading, but seems inefficient when you want to click Rend. I think the only appeal with Low Kick is if Dracovish Dynamaxes you can increase Attack, but then you lose a lot of power. Still, like Galar Darm you could argue you're Dynamaxing to surprise a wall.

Idk if I see a reason to ever run Jolly on Choice Band sets. Yeah, you creep and snipe Adamant Gyarados (88% min with Rend holy shit), but I feel Jolly is more common since it wants to outpace every form on non-Scarf Dragapult at +1 Speed, and if it turns out to be Jolly, Rend does less damage at 57% max (at least I think that's how it works in regards to opposing status moves) and it sets up on you or just revenges with Max Airstream.

The other mons between the 249 and 273 speed tiers aren't too common, either. I hardly see mons like Jolly Bisharp, Flapple, Stonjourner, or Frosmoth at least from my experience. The main one is Polteageist but it can't OHKO back without a Shell Smash boost.

All this talk of coverage moves. Just run 1 move, Fishious Rend. As if you're ever going to click anything else. You also slightly hurt Dynamax Ditto by doing so, which is something I guess.

Dracovish @ Choice Band
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Fishious Rend
-
-
-

All this talk of coverage moves. Just run 1 move, Fishious Rend. As if you're ever going to click anything else.

Dracovish @ Choice Band
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Fishious Rend
-
-
-
ends up losing endgame against water absorbs ;-;

Immunities or double resists. Pretty much the only reason.
Not even double resists. I made Ferrothorn Max HP/Def Impish, Grass/Dragon, and Adamant Banded Strong Jaw Fishious Rend in the rain STILL 2HKOs after Rocks (it's got ~2% chance to do so without rocks, but that's literally max/max Ferro which we don't really see).

ends up losing endgame against water absorbs ;-;
Ironically enough, Water Absorb is one of Dracovish's abilities. Still Water Absorb and double water resists aren't too common in the current meta. Speaking of double resists, lemme show you a rather sturdy double resist that doesn't even handle this mon comfortably in the rain:

252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Appletun in Rain: 166-195 (39.1 - 45.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (100.00% chance to 3HKO after accuracy)

This thing is a walking Z move.

Ironically enough, Water Absorb is one of Dracovish's abilities. Still Water Absorb and double water resists aren't too common in the current meta. Speaking of double resists, lemme show you a rather sturdy double resist that doesn't even handle this mon comfortably in the rain:

252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Appletun in Rain: 166-195 (39.1 - 45.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (100.00% chance to 3HKO after accuracy)

Not even double resists. I made Ferrothorn Max HP/Def Impish, Grass/Dragon, and Adamant Banded Strong Jaw Fishious Rend in the rain STILL 2HKOs after Rocks (it's got ~2% chance to do so without rocks, but that's literally max/max Ferro which we don't really see).
did you factor in leech seed
edit: and protect?

Yea, running Water Absorb Dracovish to handle regular Dracovish might actually be a thing, since Water/Dragon has a nice Steel resist and 4x Fire resist, and Dracovish has pretty good defensive stats. And even without any boosts at all, a base 170 BP Water move still hits damn hard.

did you factor in leech seed
edit: and protect?
This is under the assumption that Appletun is switching into Dracovish's Fishious Rend, which means that if Appletun received any prior damage, or isn't fully invested in Defense, it's not a good switchin to /ourfishiousboi/. Plus, it gets Ice Fang.

This is under the assumption that Appletun is switching into Dracovish's Fishious Rend, which means that if Appletun received any prior damage, or isn't fully invested in Defense, it's not a good switchin to /ourfishiousboi/. Plus, it gets Ice Fang.
i thought we were under the assumption it was banded so it'd have to switch to use Ice Fang
plus it has thick fat
and recover

Because not even a full-power Water Spout from a +1 Calm Mind Primal Kyogre stands to its power:

+1 252+ SpA Kyogre-Primal Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Appletun in Heavy Rain: 160-189 (37.7 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (Appletun has symmetrical defense stats)

So yeah, forget about the "double-resists" bit. You have to be immune to the move to be a switch-in.

It does not help that Water/Dragon is a neat defensive typing as it's only weak to Dragon and Fairy... which cannot switch-in in the first place.

is there any benefits in running water absorb vs strong jaw? I guess water absorb can just eat a gmax waterfall from gyarados, but other than that I dont see much use in it

Shellnuts

Rustiest Player Around
is a Community Contributor
is there any benefits in running water absorb vs strong jaw? I guess water absorb can just eat a gmax waterfall from gyarados, but other than that I dont see much use in it
To be honest, none really. Maybe to absorb a faster rain abuser's attack or something but outside of that it's pretty much useless. An idea I had was to try using leech life to heal up some health, haven't been able to test this but it might be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)