Smogon University PO Statistics — April 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things that surprise me are:
Virizion at 50 when it can technically rape the top 10 mons bar Reuniclus
Swampert at 30 something and Quagsire at 70? wut
Deoxys-s at 41
Wobbu at 171, ok it doesn't surprise me but PISS ME OFF, that things is just so good

Chandelure at 30..........really?, like....really?, the godly Virizion at 50 and Chandelure at 30?
yeah ok, i know that it's only a month but still, the hell people?

breh

強いだね
Hey, if your postcount is below 150, then use Electivire.
There are voters with postcounts under 150.

There can be good players with low postcounts.

On a side note, how is quagsire better than swampert? Both are awful anyway, but still...

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Lol at aron at 148, it beats Leafeon and Misdreveous.
Don't underestimate Aron. He revenge kills ANYTHING regardless of stat boosts although it requires Sandstorm support, Toxic Spikes, or Iron Head to remove that last HP. Also, it's fun to 6-0 teams that don't have Ghosts, Steels, or Gliscor. (I know it almost never happens) One final note, Rapid Spin required

Don't underestimate Aron. He revenge kills ANYTHING regardless of stat boosts although it requires Sandstorm support, Toxic Spikes, or Iron Head to remove that last HP. Also, it's fun to 6-0 teams that don't have Ghosts, Steels, or Gliscor. (I know it almost never happens) One final note, Rapid Spin required
Aron sucks in Singles. You will not know the true power of Aron until you use him in Rotations alongside a Wish user like Vaporeon in case they have priority and such. Feint (Hitmontop, Heracross, Pinsir all use it) still screws your healing up though, since you Wish then rotate to Aron and Protect.

People that are surprised with Virizion: don't be. Virizion is THE anti metagame poke after all (and it's a special version of Condelkurr... well, kind of).

Also, Ferrothorn in #1. Who said grass pokes sucks?

Also: it's incredible. I think Skarmory is the only poke that never got below#20... on 4 generations. It's crazy to think a "weakling" like him (think about low base stats... i mean, very low) can be so good. It's the best case of "poke who got everything it needed. Without exceptions."

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Guys, what's the point of lowering the bar for shit like Sigilyph to get into OU if we have Cloyster in the thirties? :/

Also: it's incredible. I think Skarmory is the only poke that never got below#20... on 4 generations. It's crazy to think a "weakling" like him (think about low base stats... i mean, very low) can be so good. It's the best case of "poke who got everything it needed. Without exceptions."
I'm still waiting for Flash Fire.

I'm waiting for Volt Absorb, since electric pokes resists Brave Bird unlike fire
OU is fine, Dragonite is the king, screw you Salamence

One thing i know... the meta is still going to change. a lot.

Ferrothorn changed everyone's opinion on grass types FOREVER.

Gamefreak : Hey swampert, you are doing a little too well, so why don't you meet this little nutball that makes you 98% useless forever...

The Ubers usage stats are apalling. Arceus-Fight is somehow ranked below Umbreon? Lower than motherfucking ELECTIVIRE? It's seriously quite a shock to see something considered trash in OU ranked #44 on the Ubers tier list! I suppose it just goes to show that the majority of Ubers players are fanboys. What a disappointment :(

On a happier note, thanks, R_D for the tiering stats!

I wasn't really around smogon during 4th gen so can someone explain to me the electivire hate lol? im confused why.

On topic :Also, I'm suprised more people aren't using virizion, as many have said before me he owns the top 10 pokes.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Swampert is as good a Tyranitar counter as its ever been. The Tank set 2HKOs 252/0 Tar through Leftovers almost 100% of the time while taking a pittance back. BandTar even fails to 2HKO w/ any of its moves (barring a Def drop from Crunch or a second layer). Swampert scares off Gliscor, Landorus, Heatran, ScarfChomp, Thundurus, SpD Jirachi (and Phaze out intended Wish recipients), can Phaze out SpD SD Scizor, amongst others, and can set up and re-set up SR reliably. With Ferro and Gliscor/Landorus/Garchomp being such threats, hardly anything runs HP Grass anymore, so incoming Grass attacks are easy to spot and easy to tank elsewhere on the team, especially in this metagame. Yes, Ferro causes it grief, just like Quagsire and Gastrodon, and Pert lacks Recover, but it still has clear advantages over the two (stats, Stealth Rock, and Roar). Gen. V leveled the playing field a little amongst the Water/Grounds, but Swampert still isn't dead water, not in any regard.
countering tyranitar isn't hard...every fighting type can do it....
and if you want read my previous post to see how swampert doesn't always have an easy time with gliscor...
also swampert doesn't in any way scare landorus which can ohko him after a sd(landorus is never going to switch in on swampert it is alwys the other way around).same goes for thundurus which 2hkos after a nasty plot(or even ohko depending on the ev inestement)while you fail to ohko back with ice beam...
again for walling heatran and scarfchomp there are many pokes out there which do it way better than swampert while also having reliable recovery(slowbro,resttalk gyara,quagsire)...so basically your only example that does matter is sp.def jirachi(and generally jirachi)so i 'll give you that one...
it is sad but swampert doesn't really have a place in ou except from laying down sr and walling a few threats unreliably...
when ferrothorn is in every game the only thing that you can do with swampert is to lay down sr and that's it...
swampert cannot face almost anything that is top tier atm...he dies horribly to nattorei,excadrill,landorus,terakion,specstoed,tornadus,starmie,venusaur,sawsbuck and many more...

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah...Sand teams aren't always at +2, they generally will only try this when they have successfully weakened the opposing team (which means ANY checks would be useless.
but if you use him to check these threats and they can ohko you after a sd why not do it even in the beginning of the game?if i see that you have swampert as a check to these threasts then i can just sd and rip him apart with all these threats...and i know that you will also have other checks but swampert is mainly a defensive pivot with very good offenses so i think that he will be your main check to these threats(except if you use stall so you may have 2 defensive pokes checking the same threats)...anyway swampert cannot take hits for too long and because of the power creep this limits his survivability even more....[/QUOTE]

Meanwhile, Swampert is as good of a check to Tyranitar as ever (especially since they all run Fire Blast and Ice Beam these days), setting up Stealth Rock and Roaring Ferrothorn when it tries to switch in. Surviving an Ice Beam isn't really that big of a deal IMO - Gliscor is relied on to check so many things it is rarely at full health, and even if it can survive, few people will be willing to let their Gliscor reach such low health just to defeat average offensive presence that Swampert is.
yes but this argument goes the other way also...how many times will your swampert be switching in on acrobat or eq from gliscor(or even fling or toxic)without reliable recovery???swampert is also relied upon to check many threats and he doesn't even have reliable recovery and status immunity like gliscor...also checking tyranitar is not a hard thing to do...there are so many pokes that can do it like rotom-w,conkelldur,scrafty,terakion and the list goes on...

Garchomp needs an SD to defeat Swampert, otherwise the mudfish makes a decent switch into any other form. Leftovers SubChomp can't OHKO with Earthquake while Swampert will win by breaking the Sub and then KOing with Ice Beam. ScarfChomp gets walled and Pert can Roar the switchin to rack up SR damage.
you are false..garchomp fails to both bandchomp and sdsub chomp(since swampert will be switching in on grachomp)..and we all know how common the second set is...and no swampert will not win as most of the times a miss that will screw swampert will occur(garchomp can make 5 subs with lefties so he has a very high chance to get that miss)and then it will be game over...notice how if swampert is not in almost full health it gets murdered by outrage at +2...so he must take hits from tyranitar and grachomp and many other things while being in almost full health to check them all...not gonna happen...

SD Terrakion breaks Swampert (it also breaks Gliscor, btw), but Swampert comfortably deals with RP Terrakion, KOing it with Earthquake following a round of LO recoil and Stealth Rock. Balloon Terrakion also fails to 2HKO with consecutive 2 consecutive CCs while the SpD drop means that STAB Hydro Pump can OHKO even in Sand after LO and rocks.
gliscor can survive a stone edge from terakion at +2 and do serious damage with eq(i don't remember if it kills after 1 round of life orb damage)while swampert as you said dies horribly to cc..your second claim is true so ok.your 3d claim is true assuming that swampert does actually run hydro pump which is rare(it needs ice beam a lot more in my opinion or else he cannot check dragons).

Swampert still makes a great switch-in to Heatran (who is surprisingly high), SpD Jirachi, is a viable Water-type for use on Sun teams thanks to secondary STAB (and they will appreciate a Tar switch-in), and can deal with lesser threats such as Hippowdon, Tentacruel, and Metagross.[/QUOTE]this is true but again lack of recovery hurts...vaporeon is better for this job with his wish passing abilities!

And despite tank Pert's usefulness having decreased, CBPert is still quite effective. Other users of the item have their advantages, but do not lure Ferrothorn as effectively as Swampert does. Other users of CB also tend to invest into attack and speed, as your aforementioned Garchomp, but Swampert will invest in bulk more often than not which distinguishes it. Finally, Hammer Arm means that Skarmory will eventually lose to it as well, which only a few other CBers can really claim.
this are all valid points which i haven't really thought about(except the investement in hp which i was aware of)...

Yeah Quagsire and Gastrodon have recovery and their other advantages, but Quagsire is pretty much useless until you face a threat at +2, otherwise it is taking unboosted hits worse than Swampert is. Same for Gastrodon - it had Recover last gen too, so all it really does is take Water attacks now (which is admittedly useful against rain).
he takes hits worse but as you said he has recover so as long as it takes less than half it doesn't really matter...and at the current metagame a lot of threats are under stat boosts all the time...

Thank god for no Electivire

Thanks a million for the stats, Rising Dusk!

The only things I really hate to see is stuff like Mamoswine and Zapdos in that borderline level between OU and UU... but if that means we get to use them in UU, I suppose that'd be fun.

I wasn't really around smogon during 4th gen so can someone explain to me the electivire hate lol? im confused why.

On topic :Also, I'm suprised more people aren't using virizion, as many have said before me he owns the top 10 pokes.
Virizion is for hipsters.

And Electivire is one of the elusive few pokemon who really need to be used to see how amazingly disappointing it is.

| 416 | Kakuna | 39 | 0.0065 |

Aww yeah

Also Electivire is a Pokémon who originally looked promising, but his power is just shy of being truly useful. A little more attack, an attack boosting move, or moves with a little bit more BP would be all he needs to be good. He's almost useful, but ultimately disappointing, failing to get a number of OHKOs and 2HKOs.

I think I already said this, but UU looks absolutely ridiculous. It makes the power creep in the OU tier seem tiny in comparison. I really don't want to see mass BL banning like in early Gen 4, so Smogon really needs to create a new tier (like the LU tier that PO created for their own server) because otherwise there are going to be 50-100 decent pokemon that will never be used at all because they are too weak or outclassed in Gen 5 NU. I really hope Smogon considers this.

Only Victini and Kyurem deserve to be in BL in my opinion (the former is likely to enter OU when Smogon next updates the tiers now that V-create is out, and he will probably replace Darmanitan).

I guess I'll make a hail team for UU next and try to prove how broken Kyurem is in that tier.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
On a side note, how is quagsire better than swampert? Both are awful anyway, but still...
Quagsire is leaps and bounds better than Swampert.
-Its got a reliable recovery so it can't be worn down
-Unaware lets it check some of the strongest threats in the metagame including Volcorona, Excadrill, Thundurus and Terakion
-Curses or Stockpile when used alongside with Unaware make Quagsire an impenetrable wall (outside of status of course)

Meanwhile Swampert gets access to SR and Roar, and thats it. Its not only outdone by Quagsire but Gastrodon too. I don't even care anymore, I get to use Quagsire and Gastrodon, in UU & OU while Swampert rots in a tier he sucks in.

Say, what's the most used set for Garchomp in the SMOGON server?
Scarf? SD? SD+sub? I'm most definitely sure it's not SD+sub but yeah
just wondering homies.

Say, what's the most used set for Garchomp in the SMOGON server?
Scarf? SD? SD+sub? I'm most definitely sure it's not SD+sub but yeah
just wondering homies.
I think it's the SD (maybe yache?) set.
TBH, I think it's arguably the best sweeper to drill some holes into your opponents' teams before you get down to the brick-shitting business with your main sweeper.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Swampert's pretty bad. I want him in OU because I like him though!

Quagsire's not that good either. The only good set IMO is the Curse set, as he's not checking much without a little defense boost. Every special sweeper sans Thudurus beats it pretty handily. Both Pert and Sire are pretty bad...

Also, holy fuck if Darmanitan drops to UU holy Jesus...

I think it's the SD (maybe yache?) set.
TBH, I think it's arguably the best sweeper to drill some holes into your opponents' teams before you get down to the brick-shitting business with your main sweeper.
ive been seeing a lot of scarfchomps though

| 256 | Stunfisk | 652 | 0.1088 |
| 264 | Articuno | 604 | 0.1008 |

Fuck yes.

EDIT:

| 96 | Heracross | 8032 | 1.3403 |
| 97 | Galvantula | 8009 | 1.3364 |

My two favourite bug types, right next to eachother in UU.

Add in Suicune, and I'm now an official UU player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)