Pokemon VGC 2010 DATES / rules announced for the US!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, Newark is going to be a blast.

I'm probably just going to go with my video camera and make a documentary of my experience and battle kids in the crowd for teh tubez.

I plan on making this an awesome trip, win or lose.

Ive also been working on a documentary for my film class all about these regionals.
I want to meet and hang around with some folks, and hopefully get some friendlies in, doubles or singles. It's definitely going to be awesome, that's for sure.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Lexite and I will be going to Phoenix, apparently, since it's closer to us than San Francisco. She's agreed to make me a jacket like this:

Does anyone know how the hack check works? I have a Shiny Latios with legit catch location, time, stats and so on but I'm not sure if its REALLY legit.

So does Nintendo hack check just the obvious stuff, or do they mess around with secret ID numbers or..

Does anyone know how the hack check works? I have a Shiny Latios with legit catch location, time, stats and so on but I'm not sure if its REALLY legit.

So does Nintendo hack check just the obvious stuff, or do they mess around with secret ID numbers or..
http://www.pokemonvgc.com/en/regulations.php

pokemonvgc said:
The use of external devices to alter the Pokémon in a player's party is expressly forbidden. Random checks will be performed throughout the tournament to determine whether or not an external device has been used to modify a player's party. Players found to have Pokémon that have been tampered with will be disqualified from the event, regardless of whether the player tampered with his or her game or received a Pokémon or item that was tampered with by someone other than the player. It is the player's responsibility to have legal Pokémon. Event officials have the final determination regarding the legality of a Pokémon.
If it is "expressly forbidden" - why are you going to risk your chance at prizes because you wanted to save some time?

It is unknown EXACTLY what the hack check looks for, and TPCi is going to keep it that way. Why tell people what they are looking for just to have people get around it?

Syberia

[custom user title]
Scratch that, Lexite and I won't be going. There's no point, since we've already got something planned for the dates of worlds.

Last time, they only checked legit stats and presumably catch locations and whatnot. Basically what PBR checks, more or less. I doubt it will be any different this time, but if you're going to hack, your best bet would be to do so on another cartridge and trade the pokemon over to an untouched one. There are rumors that the use of AR on a particular game leaves traces that stay in the save file, but not in the individual pokemon if you send them somewhere else.

I'm pretty sure a former judge (skittyonwailord?) said that there's a flag within the game that goes off if a hacking device is used on it. The hack check will look for that first and foremost, so anything but a clean HG/SS cart will be detected. As far as individual pokemon go, basically what Syberia said. Outside of aesthetic (sp?) checks for stats, locations, etc., the pokemon aren't marked themselves. I believe the judge's quote was something along the lines of GTS causing most everyone that uses it to fail hack checks if individual pokemon were marked.

Now can we drop the hack discussion? I'm sick of it coming up every other page when its already been circle jerked to death.

I'm pretty sure a former judge (skittyonwailord?) said that there's a flag within the game that goes off if a hacking device is used on it. The hack check will look for that first and foremost, so anything but a clean HG/SS cart will be detected. As far as individual pokemon go, basically what Syberia said. Outside of aesthetic (sp?) checks for stats, locations, etc., the pokemon aren't marked themselves. I believe the judge's quote was something along the lines of GTS causing most everyone that uses it to fail hack checks.

Now can we drop the hack discussion? I'm sick of it coming up every other page.
skittyonwailord was not a judge - he was a volunteer. The only people with knowledge of the hack check is Marrilland and TPCi.

As for the "Hack Discussion" - people fail to read posts, and thus the reason why it keeps coming up. So as long as people are not reading, they will keep posting.

Cool, that means my Latios is "legit enough".

How viable is Ho-oh in VGC? With some HP he should be able to take most hits in the sun barring the obvious Stone Edge. Brave Rock Polish Groudon possibly as a partner. Slow enough to start the sun, fast enough after Rock Polish to outrun stuff. Scarfed Kyogre could be a problem, but Sun and maybe Passho Berry on Ho-oh and Protect on Groudon could help negat this? I don't know..

Edit: There are 2000+ posts. You really expect people who aren't forum regulars to read through the whole thing before asking a VGC related question?

I'll be really irritated if EVERYONE there has EVd pokemon. I EVd two entire teams, then I decided to go with a team I just have more experience with in battleing, plus the teams I EVd aren't all leved up fully...bleh.

I cannot wait to see all of the tons of peoples in Seattle, this is gonna be great. I wonder how many other girls are gonna be there...
Late reply, but slightly relevant I guess.

I'm female, and I'll be in Seattle Seniors division. I'm about 5 feet tall and have loooong light brown hair. I look like a seventh grader, but I turn seventeen this year.

Never assume your opponent has not EV trained until you know for sure. Almost everyone does now, although some are less concerned about it than others. Basically, if you haven't EV trained, you will not be in the top 16, and will be beaten out by a surplus of EV trainers.

Syberia

[custom user title]
I'm pretty sure a former judge (skittyonwailord?) said that there's a flag within the game that goes off if a hacking device is used on it. The hack check will look for that first and foremost, so anything but a clean HG/SS cart will be detected. As far as individual pokemon go, basically what Syberia said. Outside of aesthetic (sp?) checks for stats, locations, etc., the pokemon aren't marked themselves. I believe the judge's quote was something along the lines of GTS causing most everyone that uses it to fail hack checks if individual pokemon were marked.

Now can we drop the hack discussion? I'm sick of it coming up every other page when its already been circle jerked to death.
Not to mention, the people over at Project Pokemon have torn apart and analyzed every single byte that forms an actual pokemon itself. If there was some sort of a marker, I think they'd have found it by now. It would be easy for the game itself to set some type of flag if an AR was used, though. They'd just need some sort of monitoring routine where if the memory was suddenly changed without the game's expecting it to, it makes a note of it somewhere.

I do remember there being a lot of suspicion surrounding RNG abuse, at least at one of the events, so we'll have to wait to see how that plays out this year. I imagine even more people will be doing it now than did it before, but "there's nothing much they can do about it" since even their own hacking rules allow it.

I'll likely be going to the England one again this year, as Birmingham is only about half an hour further away than London from where I am (just the opposite direction :p)

Does anyone know if having a ridiculous date on a Pokémon will get me in trouble, even though the Pokémon is legit and states legit on the legality checker?

Does anyone know if having a ridiculous date on a Pokémon will get me in trouble, even though the Pokémon is legit and states legit on the legality checker?
Like Drug Duck was saying earlier, the hack checks were really subjective last year. There's the possibility it might get you in trouble; it just depends on the person checking your game. A Pokemon's date is a ridiculous reason to kick out a player, but so is the reason they used to kick out a player last year (two TM 86s in bag). Then they turned around and let a 100% for certain hacked Pokemon with 511 EVs through. With that sort of inconsistency I wouldn't take anything for granted, but I honestly think you'll be fine.

Alright, just to make sure I sent an email to Pokémon USA Customer Service and if they say it's fine, I will bring the email as reference.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Quit asking how hack checking works, we are not here to tell you how to beat the hack checks, if you continue to post asking anything about the hack checks you will be infracted.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have found my SoulSilver!

I am definitely going to the Birmingham event now!
Just gotta finish training up the dream team.

Also zerowing, if you haven't already done it, you might want to add to the OP that questions regarding hacking will result in infractions AND if people send TPCi mails on this matter, they won't get a response from them other than reference to the ruleset where it clearly states that "the use of external devices for manipulating Pokémon in the party is expressively forbidden".

Otherwise people will keep asking.

Also, I want to draw attention to how the spots are splitted this year. In total, 49 players will participate at Worlds.

~ Mr. Kazuyuki Tsuji
~ Top 8 from the Japanese championships (4 paids trips iirc since last year two Japanese players didn't show up due to not being able to afford the trip)
~ Top 16 from U.S. Nationals (8 paid trips)

~ Top 4 United Kingdom (2 paid trips)
~ Top 4 Germany (2 paid trips)
~ Top 4 France (2 paid trips)
~ Top 4 Spain (2 paid trips)

and EIGHT spots from the VGC LCQ in Kona which only Americans / locals can really afford to attend to. That makes 24 U.S. players and 24 for the rest of the world, if you assume that all European players go, which they won't.

Interesting, to say the least.

Ok, update time for SS.

Beaten 4 gyms. 3rd gym f****d me off. Currently training to level.25

Drowzee/Famfrit lv.25
Headbutt
Hypnosis
Disable
Confusion

Togetic/Carbarnicle lv.22
Sweet Kiss
Yawn
Extrasensory
Metronome

Raticate/Red XIII lv.25
Hyper Fang
Crunch
Headbutt
Bite

Krabby/Bruce (need to re-name to Borris) lv.20
Leer
Surf
Bubblebeam
Mud Shot

Beedrill/Omega lv.21
Rage
Fury Attack
Twin Needle
Focus Energy

Quilava/Belias lv.25
Ember
Flame Wheel
Quick Attack
Cut (had nothing else to teach to)

Going pretty good, in my back-ups are stuff like:

Sudowoodo
Unown
Nidoran girl
Zubat

Dead:
Pidgey/Valafor
Spearow/Cloud

Pokemon i've caught but won't use:

Shiny Nidoran Girl :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)