Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh the hax. Oh the hax. Oh the hax.

There was nothing I could do to stop the barrage of hax that was pouring down. I almost cried.

But OMG, the Japs have so much luck on their side, damn, how the hell do they do it? How?

Besides this, one thing I have learned from this tournament is that Rain Dance WILL dominate vgc and there is nothing that can beat it, absolutely nothing. I didn't want to believe it but now I am a firm believer.

Me and Shoe discussed many different options but there was absolutely none that could beat RD in VGC. This is obviously without even bringing hax into the equation.

In other news, poor Wichu's brother got haxed out of the tourney so bad, he got flinched continually by this rock slide spammer, it was crazy. I felt so bad for him, at least he made it into the top 8 and kept the UK name.

I am just happy that Shoe managed to hax this jap dude, I saw their battle and laughed. Basically his opponent's swagger missed in the end on lax and lax exploded but didnt manage to take out tran and then tran killed zong with heat wave. It was nowhere near the hax that the japs got but I say it was pretty good still. He have em a taste of their own medicine.

Oh the hax. Oh the hax. Oh the hax.

But OMG, the Japs have so much luck on their side, damn, how the hell do they do it? How?
Pherhaps they have discovered how to abuse the in-battle's rng xDDD

And why do you say that nothing can counter rain dance? please explain it better, pherhaps it's something that i'm missing about that...

And why do you say that nothing can counter rain dance? please explain it better, pherhaps it's something that i'm missing about that...
Yea, abuse RNG by selecting/de-selecting moves. :D

Counter Rain Dance? Have water Pokemon, or just use Sunny Day and Cresselia. It was easy enough for me to stop Rain in it's tracks. :\

What you said may sound crazy to many but I think that might be a feasible explanation. The hax that was flying everywhere, what can I say?

As far as RD goes, I thought it would become pretty self explanatory since like 1/2 of the participants used RD or atleast as far as I saw and usage should be proportional to a strategy's success or so I think.

Anyway, I personally think RD sports more advantages than SD tbh, especially with water absorb pokemon with the abundance of pokemon with surf than with the abundance of pokemon with flash fire/lava plume which seems like one of the combos that is equivalent to water absorb/surf(I know there are many other combos on both sides). So rather than trying to override RD with SD, I think you might have a better chance of using a RD team of your own.

RD normally beats good stuffs unless you pack your team full of water pokemon or so as VTS said but if you end up doing that, then your team becomes pseudo-RD already. All you need now is some rain otherwise you become weak to other good stuffs/SD blah blah.

As far as cressy goes, its very prone to getting double teamed unless you use like follow me kiss but then half your team there is wasted more or less to set up SD, let alone sweep. Seriously, I was no fan of RD and contemplated overriding RD with SD myself, even going as far as to use scarfed smearegle with SD lol. Also thought about giving Smeargle with RD and Imprison lol but those were kind of fail.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
@Zerowing: I have some articles, photos and videos from Spanish and French qualifiers, but all of them are in Spanish, btw if you want them, let me know =P
I suppose that at least the photos and videos will be fine...
Yeah that's perfect, don't hesitate to send anything my way.

I'm currently in the information gathering stage, and that will take some time as there is a ton of information to go through and later on I will need information from people directly, personal experiences at the regionals for this player profile idea I am tinkering with.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
Thunder Wave, Sunny Day on pokemon such as Latios, Yanmega, and Shedinja, Snorlax, and Cresselia are all viable ways to stop rain. If you notice, all of these pokemon work well on a goodstuff team. If you have trouble beating rain, run a goodstuff team :)

About next year and ubers: You guys are overestimating Kyogre. After testing 4v4 doubles with a Lv.50 cap and all event ubers banned on netbattle, my teams dominated rain teams and are perfectly viable against other teams. Personally, there are two Pokemon I think are much much more "dominant" than Kyogre, and other strong Pokemon. Jibaku said this in some other thread a while ago, but I agree with it 100% even though it's for singles. Most of the Ubers are so powerful, that there isn't going to be one dominant pokemon.

As for worlds, I see there are more incidents like nats this year and worlds last year(last years incident is actually exactly the same as this years except something was done about it). However, I wasn't present this year due to not being selected, so I can't go on about these incidents. Anyway, congrats to those who made it, hope you guys had a blast like I did last year.

If anyone wants to see how I lost it the top 32 in the qualifying tourney it here now. I lost in San Fransisco. I wish my brother was playing because he is better than me. He goes by the username DeagleBeagle on shoddy. I didn't want to post it because I not only messed up, I got haxed in the end and lost because of both combined. Seriously though, this rain team I used counters most teams I have seen used. Should have put sash on toxicroak, was I think the only thing I would change. I used this team instead of my trick room team, because it is more reliable.

Here is the battle number - video no. 24-20775-98924

Still, props to Mano for making the final and beating NeoSyrex. Apparently the controversy with Syrex stemmed from his use of U-turn, specifically a case where he had one pokémon use U-turn and then stalled for time on the switching screen until the game was out of time, leaving him the winner where otherwise he may have lost. That's what it looked like to people watching, anyway.
Nope, the only one who claimed I was stalling was Vash, who's obviously just a sore loser. He even admitted that his Cresselia walled my team in the second match and couldn't do anything offensively back. That's why we went over the time limit. He's really got no one to blame but himself, anyone who uses a purely defensive Cresselia like that and then complains that the match was too long is a total hypocrite. I only used U-Turn once against him, and I selected my switch-in within a minute, well within the standard time constraints. He's just complaining about that because it was the last thing that happened before time was up. This is all ignoring the fact that I was well in the lead already, having the rain up, his Cresselia being at less than half health (which I wanted to kill instead of the more threatening Latios solely because I didn't want another stall fest), and having all my pokémon at full health. So stop helping him spread these ridiculous allegations that are completely baseless.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Shit's over. No use complaining over what happened. Let's just all agree that it was a good weekend and that the tournament was secondary to meeting all these rad people.

Also Vash sucks.

He agrees in the post below me check it out.

@Syrex: Troll. Let the issue go, goddamn. Like I told you in SD, ITS FUCKING DONE AND OVER WITH. Grow up.
Thunder Wave, Sunny Day on pokemon such as Latios, Yanmega, and Shedinja, Snorlax, and Cresselia are all viable ways to stop rain. If you notice, all of these pokemon work well on a goodstuff team. If you have trouble beating rain, run a goodstuff team :)

About next year and ubers: You guys are overestimating Kyogre. After testing 4v4 doubles with a Lv.50 cap and all event ubers banned on netbattle, my teams dominated rain teams and are perfectly viable against other teams. Personally, there are two Pokemon I think are much much more "dominant" than Kyogre, and other strong Pokemon. Jibaku said this in some other thread a while ago, but I agree with it 100% even though it's for singles. Most of the Ubers are so powerful, that there isn't going to be one dominant pokemon.

As for worlds, I see there are more incidents like nats this year and worlds last year(last years incident is actually exactly the same as this years except something was done about it). However, I wasn't present this year due to not being selected, so I can't go on about these incidents. Anyway, congrats to those who made it, hope you guys had a blast like I did last year.
I'm not sure if Ubers will be allowed or not yet, but that's definately no reason for people to NOT use them. I think it's best to be prepared just in case. And I agree with you: Kyogre isn't as big as a threat as most people thoust it would be.

That being said.. Just because you CAN use Ubers doesn't mean you have to make a whole TEAM of Ubers. Things like Smeargle, Cresselia, and Follow Me users will all still be viable, plus many of the still standard Rain Teams.

EDIT: Damn you batpig. :P
Shit's over. No use complaining over what happened. Let's just all agree that it was a good weekend and that the tournament was secondary to meeting all these rad people.
Agreed. 100%.

@Syrex: Troll. Let the issue go, goddamn. Like I told you in SD, ITS FUCKING DONE AND OVER WITH. Grow up.
Things like Smeargle, Cresselia, and Follow Me users will all still be viable, plus many of the still standard Rain Teams.
Follow Me...hmm...*idea brewing*..Any good walls out there that can learn Follow Me?

Lol what? I didn't bring it up (in fact haven't made a single post about it here until now), just responded to other people's posts. Grow up, thats hilarious someone like you'd say that.

Agreed. Wasn't gonna post anything but people keep bringing it up and I was just trying to set the record straight.

Some memorable moments for me:
-My love letter
-Magical disappearing pokéhitler
-Mattj's secret "glitch"
-Sideways hat guys
-Playing Melee/Brawl
-Multi battle w/ Alakapimp vs 2 juniors
-Finding "unconventional" ways of using a Nintendo DSi

There are probably more that I can't think of right now...

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Lol what? I didn't bring it up (in fact haven't made a single post about it here until now), just responded to other people's posts. Grow up, thats hilarious someone like you'd say that.

Agreed. Wasn't gonna post anything but people keep bringing it up and I was just trying to set the record straight.

Some memorable moments for me:
-My love letter
-Magical disappearing pokéhilter
-Mattj's secret "glitch"
-Sideways hat guys
-Playing Melee/Brawl

There are probably more that I can't think of right now...
To get people off your back please scan the love letter and post it. I too would like to make jigglychus and pikapuffs with you.

To get people off your back please scan the love letter and post it. I too would like to make jigglychus and pikapuffs with you.
LOL. Nice try. Perhaps posting how to exploit FR/LG's RNG would be a sufficient substitute? The Zapdos I was using was legitimately RNG'd that way.

what secret glitch, the life orb death, but it went ahead and used surf?
Lol no, I'm not sure if matt wants me to reveal the secret, so I'll withold it for now.

LOL. Nice try. Perhaps posting how to exploit FR/LG's RNG would be a sufficient substitute? The Zapdos I was using was legitimately RNG'd that way.

Lol no, I'm not sure if matt wants me to reveal the secret, so I'll withold it for now.

People with emulators / save states can abuse FR/LG and any game really, including ruby.

So

Scan the letter! please.

People with emulators / save states can abuse FR/LG and any game really, including ruby.

So

Scan the letter! please.
Yeah I know but that's not really legit. My method allows for you to do it on the cart. Plus I have some info on Colosseum. But I guess no one cares about boring stuff like that huh? Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)