SM OU Zard Y + TTar BO

I wanted to build around Zard Y, so I did.

The Team:

Teambuilding Process:

The Pokemon I wanted to build around. While Charizard Y has definitely gone down a bit in usage due to the Arena Trap ban, I still believe it's a formidable threat in the OU tier, it can sweep entire teams with ease if they're not prepared for it, especially when supported...

...which is where Tyranitar comes in. Two of Zard Y's biggest checks are the Lati twins, which Tyranitar easily pursuit traps and eats any hit they want to go for. Even mons like Heatran are forced out and take 60 from Pursuit. He also ganks Chansey.

Magearna was added because, as a late-game sweeper, it appreciates Charizard Y's ability to wallbreak, and is just a fantastic Pokemon in general. Tyranitar also supports Magearna as he traps / kills pokemon Magearna has trouble breaking through such as Chansey, Heatran etc.

Latios was added next as it provides hazard support, which helps Charizard Y a lot as it is crippled by rocks. It also adds speed control, which this team needs as so far it's quite slow and would have trouble against opposing scarfers like Keldeo.

The team needed rocks, so I added Landorus-T. Enough said.
Jokes aside, Landorus-T acts as a nice defensive pivot to bring in Charizard Y, and is a nice blanket check for physical mons the team struggled with like Zygarde, Garchomp, Alolan Marowak etc.

For last slot, I looked at the rest of the team and assessed what we're weak to. I noticed we were pretty weak to two of the biggest offensive threats in the metagame: Ash-Greninja, and Tapu Koko (particularly Choice Specs), both of which easily revenge kill Charizard Y. Tangrowth also acts as a safe pivot for Landorus-T as he often brings in Water types. I'm not 100% sure on how much I really like Tangrowth in this meta, so feel free to offer any suggestions as to what this could be changed to.

The Sets:

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam

I chose Flamethrower over Fire Blast for consistency.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

I chose Fire Punch over Earthquake to hit Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn, and doesn't force me to risk Stone Edge against weakened Magearna and Mega Mawile.

Magearna @ Electrium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick

I chose trick to cripple defensive mons that would switch in to Latios for free otherwise, such as Ferrothorn, and gives it the freedom to be able to use a different move if the speed isn't necessary.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Any feedback would appreciated, thank you.

Last edited:
solid team mate here is one small change you can maybe consider.
  • while looking over your team i noticed is that you have a small weakness to mega medicham. one way to remedy this is to use mew>latios. While this makes you more weak to volcorona it gives you a solid answer to mega-medicham and also a good defogger.
  • Another thing is that your weak to magearna (Depends on the set however). tyranitar can check double dance magearna (non-fleur/fb if so then mega-charizard-y checks these); but your team falters to z focus blast magearna. My tip to you would be to scout out the set and take proper countermeasures so you can keep the team similar with the edits.
  • Link to edited team with changes and updated the lando-t spread (your spread is outdated) http://pokepast.es/d1ec8a23661dfdd7. Note: Edits go to the users and I do not take a copy of the team thank you :D

Last edited:
thanks for the feedback!

i toyed around with the idea of mew as my hazard support, however while that did give me a bit more bulk, it left me with no speed control, so i wasn't sure how viable it was, how ever ill give it a try.
yeah i agree that im quite weak to offensive mage with focus blast, but as you said i can bait the z.

Breezy

formerly Quaze
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Hello, really cool team we have here.
charizard mega y in pair with band ttar has been a really good core since the ORAS metagame, especially against balanced and stall teams. now that dugtrio has been banned is this kind of core even stronger.
i’ve been testing out your team and noticed that you lack of speed control and a weakness to mega pinsir and calm mind clefable.
for fixing these threats i’ve thought of abusing the weathers. i’m proposing you two versions of the team and each of it abuses the sand or the sun.

V1. in the first version of the team the weather abuser would be scarfed heatran. this will replace magearna. with this change you’ll gain more speed control and a check to mega pinsir. this will be your win condiction against offensive teams since the most of those teams lack a good switch-in for overheat by heatran under sun. the set is pretty simple Flamethrower | Over Heat | Stone Edge | Earth Power. jolly nature obv, max speed and sp atk.
being still weak to calm mind clefable i’d suggest you to replace fire punch on ttar for iron head. i think with heatran you have enough answers to steels. the rest of the team is ok. you could run hp electric over focus blast on charizard mega y to bait mantine [252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Hidden Power Electric vs. 248 HP / 124+ SpD Mantine: 192-228 (51.4 - 61.1%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery].

V2. in the second version of the team i’ve thought of excadrill. this mon’s incredibly strong and under sand it is one of the fastest pokemon in the OU tier. this gives you a check to pinsir mega and clefable. you can run both jolly and adamant nature and i’d go for sword dance sweeper set with steel z-move.
in this case having excadrill as clefable check you can keep fire punch on ttar. the rest is fine.

Fazit
your team is still weak to hazards. try always to make a lot of offensive pressure, making double switches if needed and don’t lose momentum. suicune is also a threat but it’s not that used this days. if you feel that landorus-t gets pressured to much by physical attackers give it Protect.

and that’s all pretty much, i hope i’ve helped :]!
Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Stone Edge
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower

Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Focus Blast/ Hidden Power Ice

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Iron Head

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Excadrill @ Steelium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide

Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power Ice

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

• Threats
  • Changes
  • Possible changes

Last edited:
Thanks HQuaze for the response.

I agree my team is very weak to Mega Pinsir, and also CM Clefable (although Calm Mind i find is quite rare so I didn't really consider it during the build, and banded ttar stops it from setting up).
While the team is weak to Mega Pinsir, I don't think I agree with the two mons you suggested as being "checks" to Mega Pinsir. Both get OHKOd by Earthquake, I agree they help with Mega Pinsir as they revenge kill him (as long as Excadrill is in Sand) and both resist his priority.

While version 1 is a cool suggestion and definitely helps with the issues the team has, I've never really been a fan of double scarfers on one team, and particularly Heatran as a scarfer I don't really like either (also I think you meant a timid nature not jolly lol). I also wouldn't ever recommend running iron head on banded tyranitar lol, stone edge hits fairies hard enough as it is.
Version 2 however, seems a little bit better. Exca definitely does help the team with speed control as I lack a priority user, and at the same time doesn't make me run double choice scarf. Rock Slide is also a nice choice to ohko Mega Pinsir. It fills the same role as Magearna and helps the team against certain threats, so I'll try it out.

Again, thanks a lot for the feedback, it's much appreciated C:

Thanks HQuaze for the response.

I agree my team is very weak to Mega Pinsir, and also CM Clefable (although Calm Mind i find is quite rare so I didn't really consider it during the build, and banded ttar stops it from setting up).
While the team is weak to Mega Pinsir, I don't think I agree with the two mons you suggested as being "checks" to Mega Pinsir. Both get OHKOd by Earthquake, I agree they help with Mega Pinsir as they revenge kill him (as long as Excadrill is in Sand) and both resist his priority.
scarf tran is a pinsir check, scarf isnt normally run and u can just handily switch it in to a return usually the opponent isnt gna predict cuz theyre thinking i can just eq it after w/o needing to predict and u can just slap them with stone edge for a surprise kill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)