Move Z-Move Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there guys, I've got a quick question regarding a Z-move.

Does a Shattered Psyche coming off Psyshock run off your special attack and damage the foe's defense?

No. Z-moves lose all effects of the base move.
The fact that Z-Psyshock deals special damage could open itself up to an option select where if a Psychic type can't get past a physically defensive foe with its coverage moves, it can use Z-Psyshock. Also (though I'm not sure how viable this would be, in fact it probably isn't) if you have a mixed attacker whose only special attack is Psyshock, you can lure in physically defensive foes (Buzzwole comes to mind) and hit them with surprise special damage.

The fact that Z-Psyshock deals special damage could open itself up to an option select where if a Psychic type can't get past a physically defensive foe with its coverage moves, it can use Z-Psyshock. Also (though I'm not sure how viable this would be, in fact it probably isn't) if you have a mixed attacker whose only special attack is Psyshock, you can lure in physically defensive foes (Buzzwole comes to mind) and hit them with surprise special damage.
This would probably kill buzzwole too its SpD is pitiful almost as bad as kartana maybe use it on azelf

I've seen a gimmicky but decent looking delphox set in the past that uses power herb+solarbeam and then proceeds to steal the enemy held item via magician. Would bloom doom work alongside magician after use?

I've seen a gimmicky but decent looking delphox set in the past that uses power herb+solarbeam and then proceeds to steal the enemy held item via magician. Would bloom doom work alongside magician after use?
No, because the Z-Crystal isn't consumed. It just becomes inactive for the rest of the battle.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Gimmicky stall shattering idea here

Thundurus with Z heal-block prevents the team from healing for a full 5 turns and gives You +2 special attack.

+2 252+ SpA Thundurus-Therian Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 316-374 (49.2 - 58.2%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO

+2 252+ SpA Thundurus-Therian Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 178-211 (27.7 - 32.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Sucking up electric moves stops slow turning into dugtrio at very least, but outside of sashed, dugtrio I can't think of a single thing that wouldn't get completely bodied in stall other than maybe unaware pokemon. Hp flying might be the route to take for stab and venusaur.

Idk any merit in ou?

I forgot it gets knock off too

Last edited:

Ropalme1914

Ace Poker Player
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
So, now that Mewnium Z is released, is there any set that Mew could use it? I know that losing Leftovers is not something Mew would want, but summoning Psychic Terrain is a damn good effect, giving him immunity to priority and free Specs for Psychic, along with giving a nuke, making it have a nice offensive pressure.

Ema Skye

Work!
I don't think it's particularly great, even though Psychic Terrain is awesome. With how common the Tapus are, that Terrain may only last a turn or two, and, unlike with Lele, you have no way to get it back.

I dunno. It just seems like if you're using Mew to set up the terrain, you should just use Lele instead. Though I suppose a backup Psychic Terrain on Psychic-spam could be an interesting niche.

played 15+ custom games with mewnium z and this set is actually decent

Mew @ Mewnium Z
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Rock Polish

the basic premise of the set is to weaken your checks and then this can sweep after a rock polish. genesis supernova is wild af and is basically a free kill against bulky offense / offense in the clutch. even after that, you have terrain boosted psychics to worry about. fire blast is for magearna, scizor, metagross, tapu bulu...while focus blast hits dark types and heatran (aura sphere is piss weak). the set is impossible to revenge kill outside scarf pheromosa and because psychic terrain block some priority, if this thing is set to sweep, it will pretty much always sweep.

now the question is why i don't think nasty plot is viable and that is because the set is slow and won't do anything outside get the terrain up. nasty plot seems theoretically nice for stall but dugtrio will trap that ass anyways and you need roost so giving up a coverage move is dumb.

can't wait till the ladder updates with this. while mew didn't turn into a top tier threat, it is still a fire choice as a late game sweeper.

I've been trying out Fightnium Z on Tapu Lele, and I've found it to be a pretty decent option that lets you hit both Heatran and Scizor, alongside Skarmory and offensive variants of Celesteela.

Tapu Lele @ Fightnium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid/Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast

After the CM boost, Tapu Lele can really hurt things that otherwise wall it with All-Out Pummeling:

+1 252 SpA Tapu Lele All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0+ SpD Skarmory: 379-446 (113.8 - 133.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Tapu Lele All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 279-329 (83.7 - 98.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 SpA Tapu Lele All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 309-364 (89.8 - 105.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 SpA Tapu Lele All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 590-696 (182 - 214.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Tapu Lele All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Celesteela: 307-362 (77.1 - 90.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 SpA Tapu Lele All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Magnezone: 448-528 (130.6 - 153.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Modest can be run instead to increase the OHKO chances on offensive Celesteela and specially defensive Skarmory, while also having a chance to OHKO non-AV Muk:

+1 252+ SpA Tapu Lele All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Celesteela: 338-398 (84.9 - 100%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ SpA Tapu Lele All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 307-362 (92.1 - 108.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ SpA Tapu Lele All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Muk-Alola: 339-399 (81.8 - 96.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Obviously you wouldn't send it right out against any of these, but if any of them switch in expecting a choice item, they need to decide whether they want to risk staying in and getting KO'd or switch out to something else that will get maimed by its STABs. And so long as it isn't running LO or Choice Specs, Heatran fails to KO Tapu Lele after a CM boost while you KO back:

252+ SpA Heatran Flash Cannon vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 170-204 (60.4 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

EDIT: Forgot to mention, if Chansey comes in to spoil your fun, if you manage to get a couple more CM boosts in Tapu Lele can take it down:

+2 252+ SpA Tapu Lele All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 578-682 (82.1 - 96.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+3 252 SpA Tapu Lele All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 658-776 (93.4 - 110.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

EDIT 2: I also failed to account for Alolan Muk and Magnezone. I've added calculations where appropriate.

Last edited:
So, now that Mewnium Z is released, is there any set that Mew could use it? I know that losing Leftovers is not something Mew would want, but summoning Psychic Terrain is a damn good effect, giving him immunity to priority and free Specs for Psychic, along with giving a nuke, making it have a nice offensive pressure.
You could try

Mew @ Mewnium Z
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Aura Sphere / Dazzling Gleam
- Dark Pulse

Nasty Plot boosts your Special Attack to good levels. Psychic is the STAB move and triggers Genesis Supernova. Aura Sphere hits the Dark and Steel-types that resist Psychic. Dark Pulse hits opposing Dark types. Really though, after Psychic you could run just about anything depending on what you want to hit. Some calcs to show what it can do at +2:

+2 252 SpA Mew Genesis Supernova vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Florges: 345-406 (95.8 - 112.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
+2 252 SpA Mew Genesis Supernova vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sylveon: 399-471 (101.2 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Mew Psychic in Psychic Terrain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 283-334 (39.6 - 46.7%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock, 1 layer of Spikes, and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Mew Dazzling Gleam vs. 240 HP / 216+ SpD Mandibuzz: 224-264 (53.2 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Mew Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon: 174-206 (44.1 - 52.2%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Mew Genesis Supernova vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 570-672 (135.7 - 160%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Mew Genesis Supernova vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 232-273 (77.5 - 91.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
i didn/t know it came out do i just go to mystery gift to get it?

You just have to use Bank with a game. The first time you use it the Bank will automatically send a Mystery Gift to your game.

Z-trick or treat on Gourgeist makes it insanely bulky, and gives the opponent reason to switch out. Different sizes can pull off different sets.

I can see it being a bootleg Pory-Z in lower tiers with priority tacked on.

A set I've had good results with in Ubers:

Arceus-Dragon @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed / Iron Tail

+ 2 Devastating Drake will one shot just about everything that doesn't resist it. Earthquake wrecks the Steel types that do, and 2HKOes any Primal Groudon at +2, and it can't KO you back (unless it runs Outrage, which it never does). Extreme Speed can be used to bypass Yveltal's Sucker Punch and take out weakened threats late game. Iron Tail OHKOes Geomancy Xerneas most of the time at +2. EVs maximise Speed and power

252 SpA Tapu Lele All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 316-372 (89.7 - 105.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

So... that's a thing. Focus Blast turns into 190BP All-Out Pummeling.

I've actually been having tons of fun with gimmicky Z moves on other two turn moves besides solar beam. Like my Z sky attack moltres for those special walls :D

What do people think to Z-Explosion? For those of you who don't know, Z-Explosion does less damage than Explosion (200 BP), but that's still a ridiculous amount of power to be honest, and then you have a regular Explosion to follow up with.

I guess I'm not sure who you'd use it with - probably Lando, Shift Gear Magearna (who then becomes a reasonable mixed attacker and gets Soul Heart boosts off the Z-Move) or I guess possibly something like Azelf to a less extent. I mean, it's definitely a gimmicky choice, but a 200 BP followed up by a 250 BP seems a little savage to me.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
SD+Z-Explosion Lickilicky

PANIC

In all seriousness though, I don't honestly think that there is much that would run Breakneck Blitz with Explosion. If anything would run it they would do it in place of something like Z-Giga Impact, and idk what viable Pokemon a) gets Explosion and b) would consider running a normal-type Z lure. Anything else probably wouldn't carry it, although I'm sure that Explosion Lando could put it to use to nail smth like Rotom-W or Tangrowth whilst preserving its momentum nuke.

Z-Explosion may be considered a powerful choice for physical attackers, but keep in mind that there are other moves that have the exact same Base power as a Z-Explosion, such as Giga Impact and Last Resort. If none of these moves can be learned or considered viable, then a Z-Double Edge or Thrash would hit for respectable damage as well, despite hitting for 10 less BP, but they're at least a little bit more reliable than fainting your pokemon instantly with Explosion.

Here´s the one i use it allows very sweet sweeps

XYZ Dragon (Salamence) (M) @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Ability: Moxie
Level: 100
Jolly Nature
- Fly
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Also, thought i haven´t fully check it,

Serperior (M) @ Normalium Z
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
Ability: Contrary
Level: 100
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hyper Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain

After one Leaf storm +2 the z-move for hyper beam is devastating

Subject 18 Edit: There's an edit function...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've running a genesis supernova mew. Modest 252Spa 252Spe with

-Psychic
-Aura Sphere
-Rock Polish
-Nasty plot

It's like a shittier double dance landorus, but way more powerful in the late game because you are immune to priority and are pretty fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)