Project YUM OR YUCK (BACK IN BUSINESS BABY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Stolen from my good friends over on the Toontown: Rewritten forums
Co-hosted by tcr

Post a moveset or core. The next user will say whether they like the moveset / core (YUM) or dislike the moveset / core (YUCK), possibly with adjustments to be made. They will then post their own moveset / core in the same post to be YUM'd or YUCK'd. Yes, those are real phrases that will be used in this thread. Get YUM'd.

I'll kick it off:

Diglett @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Arena Trap
Level: 5
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb
- Sucker Punch
- Memento

Diglett equipped with a Choice Scarf hits 30 Speed, allowing it to RK a +2 Z-Conversion Porygon and pretty much any weather sweeper. Sludge Bomb hits Grass-types and is just a neat move.

Note: If you and another user happen to post a response at the same time, you will be forced to play Rock-Paper-Scissors against one another on the spot - the loser will delete their post and get YUCK'd.

mad0ka

華々しい
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
YUCK. While this may RK Porzgon, that job is simply done better by scarf Mudbray or Drilbur. In a meta without scarf Magnemite and flame charge Ponyta running rampant, there's little reason to run scarf Diglett over life orb or sash. Weather sweepers are also RK'd by 18 and 19 spe sweepers, such as Doduo.

Cutiefly @ Eviolite
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD / 84 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Reflect
- Roost
- Baton Pass

Reflect allows you to better set up on physical attackers, such as Stone Edge Mienfoo or even Heavy Slam Mudbray.
236+ Atk Onix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 196 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee through Reflect: 9-11 (39.1 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
yum, but it's a limited time offer!

Mudbray @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Heavy Slam

Scarf Mudbray has the important niche of revenge-killing Conversion Porygon. It can withstand a Download-boosted Tri Attack as well, in case the Porygon turns out to be the bulky Eviolite variant, so switching in directly is relatively safe. Mudbray has the power to 2HKO most things that don't resist Earthquake so it's actually a decent Scarf user overall, though it should be played more as a potential sweeper than a means to gain momentum due to its lack of VoltTurn. Compared to Scarf Drilbur, its Speed tier is a lot lower, which most notably affects match-ups against Scarf Pawniard, Scarf Mienfoo, Scarf Chinchou, and Scarf Rufflet, and it lacks Rapid Spin. In exchange, it is far bulkier, able to withstand Scarf Doduo's Brave Bird, Corphish's Aqua Jet, and Download Porygon's Tri Attack, for example; it is also able to 2HKO Ferroseed and bulky Porygon, and threatens to OHKO defensive BJ Munchlax after Stealth Rock.

Coconut

W
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
LC Leader
Yum, just about anything right now with Mudbray is good.

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 156 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

SD Bulkfoo is what I've been running on Foo lately. It sets up on lots of powerful threats like Mudbray, can either heal itself with Drain Punch or with Regen when it Baton Passes. Knock Off is solid coverage.

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yum, it's a nice option for Baton Pass teams.

Snivy @ Eviolite
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Substitute
- Synthesis
- Knock Off

Substitute + Synthesis can give you a chance of free boosting with Leaf Storm or recover yourself with Synthesis, checking many Ground-types like Diglett Memento, thanks to Contrary, Mudbray and Water-types. Knock Off remove items from the opponent, like Eviolites to ease its sweep.
Get YUCK'd. I agree that Snivy is cool as fuck in the current metagame, but I'm not sure that's the best Snivy set right now. Glare is pretty essential for shutting down the ridiculous set-up 'mons running rampant and I'd argue that Hidden Power [Insert Coverage] is more effective than Knock Off or Substitute, especially if you're opting for Eviolite over Berry Juice (in regards to the latter).

Uhhhh... I haven't played all too much of the metagame but here's double Fairies. Probably gonna get YUCK'd but:

Spritzee @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 12 SpA / 76 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

Cutiefly @ Life Orb
EVs: 36 Def / 228 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- [Something]

Play off your opponent predicting Cutiefly to be the win condition and just use coverage and speed to break down things that could prevent Spritzee from winning later.

Spritzee @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 12 SpA / 76 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

Cutiefly @ Life Orb
EVs: 36 Def / 228 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- [Something]

Play off your opponent predicting Cutiefly to be the win condition and just use coverage and speed to break down things that could prevent Spritzee from winning later.
I'm honestly not sure. On the one hand, it has nice surprise factor and viability if you can pull it off. On the other hand, you would need some help with Poison types and birbs. I'll probably stick in an edit with my final opinion in a little bit.

Stufful @ Berry Juice
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 116 HP / 76 Atk / 116 Def / 196 SpDef
Adamant Nature
- Brick Break
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Bulk Up

In a meta where almost all powerful attackers are physical attackers, a Pokemon that can both be an excellent wall to physical attacks and strike back is sorely wanted. Enter Stufful. Bulk Up makes it both quite fat defensively and a powerful attacker. Brick Break is STAB, Rock Slide is for smacking Flying types and Cutiefly, Earthquake is...general strength and a smattering of additional coverage, and Berry Juice is for some recovery.

EDIT: Weak to Mareanie because Toxic Spikes and any Poison move. YUK

Last edited:

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm honestly not sure. On the one hand, it has nice surprise factor and viability if you can pull it off. On the other hand, you would need some help with Poison types and birbs. I'll probably stick in an edit with my final opinion in a little bit.

Stufful @ Berry Juice
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 116 HP / 76 Atk / 116 Def / 196 SpDef
Adamant Nature
- Brick Break
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Bulk Up

In a meta where almost all powerful attackers are physical attackers, a Pokemon that can both be an excellent wall to physical attacks and strike back is sorely wanted. Enter Stufful. Bulk Up makes it both quite fat defensively and a powerful attacker. Brick Break is STAB, Rock Slide is for smacking Flying types and Cutiefly, Earthquake is...general strength and a smattering of additional coverage, and Berry Juice is for some recovery.
YUCK. Stufful needing Berry Juice for any recovery really destabilizes the goal of absorbing physical attacks, and it makes sweeping with Bulk Up in a Cutiefly-filled meta near impossible.

Here's a neat core for ya:

Vulpix-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 28 Atk / 200 SpA / 236 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Ice Shard

Shellder @ Eviolite
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 236 Atk / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Razor Shell
- Shell Smash

Alolapix has just the right movepool to be a substantial partner for one of the metagame's best pure sweepers. As an all-out attacker, Alolapix pushes the envelope, carrying strong STAB, good Speed, cool coverage, and a priority attack. The moveset provided helps lure in Pokemon such as Mareanie, Pawniard, and the likes to help clear a path for Shellder, who is now free to run Water-STAB in large part due to the death of Gale Wings.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
YUM. Alolapix is really cool, and Shellder is as potent as it's always been.

Carvanha @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 236 SpA / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Destiny Bond

Cutiefly @ Eviolite
EVs: 36 HP / 116 Def / 76 SpA / 36 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Quiver Dance
- Baton Pass
- Roost / Hidden Power [Ground]

Special Vanha is cool since a lot of people expect physical and have said physical walls hit hard. It can punch holes by itself, but QDfly can pass it boosts to make it truly scary. Vanha can also be used to weaken teams to allow Cutiefly to sweep. Really fun core.

YUM. Alolapix is really cool, and Shellder is as potent as it's always been.

Carvanha @ Life Orb
EVs: 236 SpA / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Destiny Bond

Cutiefly @ Eviolite
EVs: 36 HP / 116 Def / 76 SpA / 36 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Quiver Dance
- Baton Pass
- Roost / Hidden Power [Ground]

Special Vanha is cool since a lot of people expect physical and have said physical walls hit hard. It can punch holes by itself, but QDfly can pass it boosts to make it truly scary. Vanha can also be used to weaken teams to allow Cutiefly to sweep. Really fun core.
Get Yum'd ! The idea of special carvanha being able to pave the way for cutiefly and vice versa(as well as baton passing cutiefly onto carvanha against pokemon such as bronzor) is absolutely ingenious.

==========================

Physical Bronzor:

China (Bronzor) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 84 Atk / 228 Def / 148 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Recycle
- Earthquake

Special Bronzor:
Dinner Plate (Bronzor) @ Berry Juice
EVs: 228 Def / 84 SpA / 148 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon
- Recycle
- Psychic

Going into a tier w/ an overwhelming increase in hail abusers, physical bird spam, and the all-out-centralizing Mudbray, Bronzor proves itself very useful as a switchin as well as a nice means of stealth rock utility in Gen 7 LC(along with certain support). Bronzor completely checks sweeping Alolan Sandshrews as well as Ice types in general and can return the punch with very nice coverage. The Special Set is overall more powerful due to Bronzor's pretty decent base special attack, allowing psychic to hit things such as stufful, budew, mareanie...etc, as well as the flash cannon being able to hit notorious fairy/ice hindrances such as Snubbull or Alolan Vulpix. Although, I believe that Bronzor's physical set has proven superior.I.E )) heavy slam does 120 to pokemon such as Diglett, Cutiefly(which boosts spdef rather than def), and even Mienfoo, while Earthquake hits the occasional switchin: Pawniard, Salandit, and even specially defensive Mareanies.
  • Ultimately, Bronzor can serve as a nice soft check to the new-found norm of Ice type pokemon as well as Mudbray and others; and a good stealth rock setter; and has a very convenient means of life longevity in recycle.

Last edited:
Get Yum'd ! The idea of special carvanha being able to pave the way for cutiefly and vice versa(as well as baton passing cutiefly onto carvanha against pokemon such as bronzor) is absolutely ingenious.

==========================

Physical Bronzor:

China (Bronzor) @ Berry Juice
EVs: 84 Atk / 228 Def / 148 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Recycle
- Earthquake

Special Bronzor:
Dinner Plate (Bronzor) @ Berry Juice
EVs: 228 Def / 84 SpA / 148 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon
- Recycle
- Psychic

Going into a tier w/ an overwhelming increase in hail abusers, physical bird spam, and the all-out-centralizing Mudbray, Bronzor proves itself very useful as a switchin as well as a nice means of stealth rock utility in Gen 7 LC(along with certain support). Bronzor completely checks sweeping Alolan Sandshrews as well as Ice types in general and can return the punch with very nice coverage. The Special Set is overall more powerful due to Bronzor's pretty decent base special attack, allowing psychic to hit things such as stufful, budew, mareanie...etc, as well as the flash cannon being able to hit notorious fairy/ice hindrances such as Snubbull or Alolan Vulpix. Although, I believe that Bronzor's physical set has proven superior.I.E )) heavy slam does 120 to pokemon such as Diglett, Cutiefly(which boosts spdef rather than def), and even Mienfoo, while Earthquake hits the occasional switchin: Pawniard, Salandit, and even specially defensive Mareanies.
  • Ultimately, Bronzor can serve as a nice soft check to the new-found norm of Ice type pokemon as well as Mudbray and others; and a good stealth rock setter; and has a very convenient means of life longevity in recycle.
YUM. This seems entirely viable.

And now a set of mine own concoction...
Cubchoo @ Eviolite/Berry Juice
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 82 HP / 116 Atk / 63 Def / 63 SpDef / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Superpower/Power-Up Punch
- Play Rough/Rock Tomb
- [?]

This is a hail sweeping set that pairs well with an Aurora Veil A-Vulpix, which can setup hail and essentially dual screens and check Fighting types for Cubchoo. But I digress. Slush Rush allows Cubchoo to hit 26 speed, which is freaky fast; faster than max Speed Scarfed Pawniard, for one. Ice Punch is obligatory STAB, either Fighting type move is for coverage and/or boosting Attack, Play Rough is for fighting coverage, but could be swapped out for Rock Tomb if your A-Vulpix is handling the likes of Mienfoo well, but you have problems with Cutiefly. The last slot is empty, but some ideas are...
1. Encore, for general antagonism and stymying of the other team's efforts
2. A free spot for the move in slot 3 you didn't want
3. Substitute, for safety from burns and damage

Last edited:

Gummy

...three, smiles go for miles!
YUCK, imo. First of all, why are there 126 EVs in spatk if it uses all physical moves and has a -spatk nature? Second, I think Sandshrew-A is a better partner to Vulpix-A because it has the same speed, higher attack, and far better physical bulk (even if its typing is absolutely miserable defensively). Cubchoo also has a weakness to Stealth Rock which is never good no matter what you're doing. Sandshrew-A also has access to Icicle Crash, which is a stronger Ice Punch with a higher flinch chance.

>:( (Mienfoo) @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Fake Out

This set is stupid, but I like it. Reckless LO HJK is impossible to switch into, as it 2HKOes basically everything (even Spritzee, once its Eviolite has been knocked off). I use it on webs teams which makes it basically like scarf foo without getting locked, which is also fun. Even if HJK is powerful as hell you'll be clicking U-Turn a lot and staying in as little as possible, since LO recoil hurts and Foo really misses Regenerator. It also can't take hits you'd normally expect one to take since it has no Eviolite and barely any EVs invested in bulk. Fake Out + HJK takes care of really bulky foes.

YUCK, imo. First of all, why are there 126 EVs in spatk if it uses all physical moves and has a -spatk nature? Second, I think Sandshrew-A is a better partner to Vulpix-A because it has the same speed, higher attack, and far better physical bulk (even if its typing is absolutely miserable defensively). Cubchoo also has a weakness to Stealth Rock which is never good no matter what you're doing. Sandshrew-A also has access to Icicle Crash, which is a stronger Ice Punch with a higher flinch chance.

Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Fake Out

This set is stupid, but I like it. Reckless LO HJK is impossible to switch into, as it 2HKOes basically everything (even Spritzee, once its Eviolite has been knocked off). I use it on webs teams which makes it basically like scarf foo without getting locked, which is also fun. Even if HJK is powerful as hell you'll be clicking U-Turn a lot and staying in as little as possible, since LO recoil hurts and Foo really misses Regenerator. It also can't take hits you'd normally expect one to take since it has no Eviolite and barely any EVs invested in bulk. Fake Out + HJK takes care of really bulky foes.
Oops, I forgot the change the EVs on the set from when I had...Surf on it (I changed it for a good reason, as you can see). Let me edit it...

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Oops, I forgot the change the EVs on the set from when I had...Surf on it (I changed it for a good reason, as you can see). Let me edit it...
I copied and pasted the brief EV Guide to LC in the hide below, this might help you out with EVs (your spread is still pretty bad even with the changes you made).

EV Spreads and Stats
One of the biggest differences between LC and other metagames is the effect of EVs on stats. The maximum number of EVs a Pokemon can have is still 510, and the maximum in any one stat of a Pokemon is also still 252, but a few other things change. Base stats are less decisive in determining the final stat of a Pokemon; the range of stats at level 5 is not nearly as wide as it is at level 100. For example, Wingull has base 85 Speed and Abra has base 90 Speed. For Abra, achieving 19 speed takes a Speed-boosting nature and 196 EVs; for Wingull, it takes a Speed-boosting nature and 236 EVs.

At level 100, it takes 4 EVs to boost a stat by one point, but in LC, it takes a whopping 80 EVs. As with every rule, this too has an exception: the number of EVs necessary for the first stat point increase depends on the Pokemon's base stat. Going back to the previous example, Wingull's base Speed stat ends in a 5, so it takes 76 EVs to raise the stat by one point, 156 EVs to raise it by another, and 236 EVs to reach its maximum. Abra's base Speed stat ends in a 0, so it takes 36 EVs to raise it by one point, 116 to raise it by another, and 196 EVs to max it out. Below are the number of EVs a Pokemon must invest to increase its stats based on the number that its base stats end in:

Base stat ending / EVs required for stat gain
xx0 / 36 /116 / 196 EVs
xx1 / 28 / 108 / 188 EVs
xx2 / 20 / 100 / 180 EVs
xx3 / 12 / 92 / 172 / 252 EVs
xx4 / 4 / 84 / 164 / 244 EVs
xx5 / 76 / 156 / 236 EVs
xx6 / 68 / 148 / 228 EVs
xx7 / 60 / 140 / 220 EVs
xx8 / 52 / 132 / 212 EVs
xx9 / 44 / 124 / 204 EVs

Pokemon with base stats ending in 3 or 4 can increase their stats four times with their EVs. For example, Magby's base Speed is 83; with a Speed-boosting nature and 0 EVs, it has a Speed stat of 15. With just 12 EVs, it can reach 16, and with 252 EVs, it can reach the 19 Speed. If Magby had a base Speed stat of 82, it would still start at a Speed stat of 15, but it would only be able to reach a maximum Speed stat of 18 through investing 180 EVs.

IVs can also slightly alter stats in LC; everything previously mentioned applies in most cases, where IVs are presumed to be 31. For every IV point missing, your Pokemon needs 4 more EVs to increase the stat point. For example, 30 IVs in Magby's Speed would not allow it to hit 19 Speed, as it would need 256 EVs to max out, but the maximum number of EVs for a single stat is 252.

Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Fake Out

YUM... as long as you have a team that supports it well. Webs certainly makes it a bigger threat, basically 0 good switchins if you get rocks up too. Stone Edge or Poison Jab could also be worth considering over Fake Out.

Rowlet @ Eviolite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 76 Atk / 236 Def / 196 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Carvanha @ Life Orb
EVs: 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Aqua Jet
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Crunch

Inspired almost entirely by Heysup. Idea is incredibly simple, set up and slowpass into Carvanha who sweeps. Rowlet's EVs could probably be optimized - I was trying to not hit exactly 24 HP but still wanted 16 defense. 76 Atk doesn't seem to get anything notable. I kept it at 9 speed as opposed to going to 0 IVs so it could outspeed Foongus on the off chance I need to. Brave Bird can be replaced by Leaf Blade I guess, but hitting fighters and grasses is always nice.

i feel that the title of this thread is implying that i am either a young child incapable of maintaining basic standards of cleanliness or that i have an intellect comparable to a hypothetical young child incapable of maintaining basic standards of cleanliness

i have alerted the nsa, cia, fbi, epa, fcc, and nasa of this libelous accusation

please be prepared for a swat team to bust down ur fucking door and steal all ur weed, Mambo

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i feel that the title of this thread is implying that i am either a young child incapable of maintaining basic standards of cleanliness or that i have an intellect comparable to a hypothetical young child incapable of maintaining basic standards of cleanliness

i have alerted the nsa, cia, fbi, epa, fcc, and nasa of this libelous accusation

please be prepared for a swat team to bust down ur fucking door and steal all ur weed, Mambo
yuck

Berks

has a Calm Mind
I copied and pasted the brief EV Guide to LC in the hide below, this might help you out with EVs (your spread is still pretty bad even with the changes you made).

EV Spreads and Stats
One of the biggest differences between LC and other metagames is the effect of EVs on stats. The maximum number of EVs a Pokemon can have is still 510, and the maximum in any one stat of a Pokemon is also still 252, but a few other things change. Base stats are less decisive in determining the final stat of a Pokemon; the range of stats at level 5 is not nearly as wide as it is at level 100. For example, Wingull has base 85 Speed and Abra has base 90 Speed. For Abra, achieving 19 speed takes a Speed-boosting nature and 196 EVs; for Wingull, it takes a Speed-boosting nature and 236 EVs.

At level 100, it takes 4 EVs to boost a stat by one point, but in LC, it takes a whopping 80 EVs. As with every rule, this too has an exception: the number of EVs necessary for the first stat point increase depends on the Pokemon's base stat. Going back to the previous example, Wingull's base Speed stat ends in a 5, so it takes 76 EVs to raise the stat by one point, 156 EVs to raise it by another, and 236 EVs to reach its maximum. Abra's base Speed stat ends in a 0, so it takes 36 EVs to raise it by one point, 116 to raise it by another, and 196 EVs to max it out. Below are the number of EVs a Pokemon must invest to increase its stats based on the number that its base stats end in:

Base stat ending / EVs required for stat gain
xx0 / 36 /116 / 196 EVs
xx1 / 28 / 108 / 188 EVs
xx2 / 20 / 100 / 180 EVs
xx3 / 12 / 92 / 172 / 252 EVs
xx4 / 4 / 84 / 164 / 244 EVs
xx5 / 76 / 156 / 236 EVs
xx6 / 68 / 148 / 228 EVs
xx7 / 60 / 140 / 220 EVs
xx8 / 52 / 132 / 212 EVs
xx9 / 44 / 124 / 204 EVs

Pokemon with base stats ending in 3 or 4 can increase their stats four times with their EVs. For example, Magby's base Speed is 83; with a Speed-boosting nature and 0 EVs, it has a Speed stat of 15. With just 12 EVs, it can reach 16, and with 252 EVs, it can reach the 19 Speed. If Magby had a base Speed stat of 82, it would still start at a Speed stat of 15, but it would only be able to reach a maximum Speed stat of 18 through investing 180 EVs.

IVs can also slightly alter stats in LC; everything previously mentioned applies in most cases, where IVs are presumed to be 31. For every IV point missing, your Pokemon needs 4 more EVs to increase the stat point. For example, 30 IVs in Magby's Speed would not allow it to hit 19 Speed, as it would need 256 EVs to max out, but the maximum number of EVs for a single stat is 252.

YUM... as long as you have a team that supports it well. Webs certainly makes it a bigger threat, basically 0 good switchins if you get rocks up too. Stone Edge or Poison Jab could also be worth considering over Fake Out.

Rowlet @ Eviolite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 76 Atk / 236 Def / 196 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Carvanha @ Life Orb
EVs: 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Aqua Jet
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Crunch

Inspired almost entirely by Heysup. Idea is incredibly simple, set up and slowpass into Carvanha who sweeps. Rowlet's EVs could probably be optimized - I was trying to not hit exactly 24 HP but still wanted 16 defense. 76 Atk doesn't seem to get anything notable. I kept it at 9 speed as opposed to going to 0 IVs so it could outspeed Foongus on the off chance I need to. Brave Bird can be replaced by Leaf Blade I guess, but hitting fighters and grasses is always nice.
Anyways, YUM. This core has the makings of a sweet FWG core and the synergy between Rowlet and Vanha seems real good!

Here's a standard set from ORAS:

Corphish @ Eviolite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Corphish's flagship set remains largely the same, bopping mons with crazy strong Crabhammers. The advent of SuMo introduced a number of new checks to Corphish, such as Morelull and Mareanie. However, Gen 7 also introduced Mudbray, a very good Pokemon who just so happens to be be OHKOed by Corphish's Crabhammer at least 80% of the time no matter which set Mudbray is running.

So, what do you think of Corphish in SuMo?

Last edited:
idk wtf are sets so have this

Mareanie @ Eviolite
EVs: 196 HP / 180 Def / 12 SpA / 120 SpD
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

just haze away its boosts recover whenever u can and scald burn it

idk wtf are sets so have this

Mareanie @ Eviolite
EVs: 196 HP / 180 Def / 12 SpA / 120 SpD
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

just haze away its boosts recover whenever u can and scald burn it
Yuck, with a bit less HP and more into Special defense this mon can have well rounded stats for Eviolite boosts.
Recover is questionable but not over the use of Sludge Bomb. It did preferably be over Toxic Spikes or Haze, but haze is too important to miss on right now.

Mareanie @ Eviolite
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 116 HP / 180 Def / 12 SpA / 180 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

Mareanie @ Eviolite
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 116 HP / 180 Def / 12 SpA / 180 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes
YUM. Bold nature is a good idea, and if you ignore the prevalence of trappers (any Mareanie's caveat), this mon is a valid check to things like Cutiefly.

While Berks posted a more offensive A-Vulpix set, I have a defensive alternative.

A-Vulpix @ Eviolite/Icy Rock (if you really want to...)
EVs: 132 HP / 116 Def / 36 SpAtk / 156 SpDef
Bold Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze Dry
- Moonblast
- Toxic

This thing's job is essentially to set up hail and an equivalent of dual screens, pack some STAB & status, and not much else. I tried to make this as bulky as you can make a Vulpix, which is why Icy Rock isn't recommended on this set. The only reason that Freeze Dry is here is because it hurts stuff like Mareanie, Chinchou and Staryu. Besides that, the set essentially writes itself.

Last edited:
YUM. Bold nature is a good idea, and if you ignore the prevalence of trappers (any Mareanie's caveat), this mon is a valid check to things like Cutiefly.

While Berks posted a more offensive A-Vulpix set, I have a defensive alternative.

A-Vulpix @ Eviolite/Icy Rock (if you really want to...)
EVs: 132 HP / 116 Def / 36 SpAtk / 156 SpDef
Bold Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze Dry
- Moonblast
- Toxic

This thing's job is essentially to set up hail and an equivalent of dual screens, pack some STAB & status, and not much else. I tried to make this as bulky as you can make a Vulpix, which is why Icy Rock isn't recommended on this set. The only reason that Freeze Dry is here is because it hurts stuff like Mareanie, Chinchou and Staryu. Besides that, the set essentially writes itself.
Sorry, but YUCK. Unfortunately, I seriously doubt Vulpix' typing and stats allow it to take hits reliably and set up Aurora veil. Instead, after testing Vulpix-A with various sets, I'd say max speed is mandatory. Also, I don't know about Eviolite over Light Clay, which increases Aurora Veil timer. I think Timid with EVs: 52 HP / 116 Def / 76 SpD / 236 Spe would be a better option for bulky Vulpix-A. Personnally thought I use the fast offensive EV spread. Speaking of Vulpix-A, heres a pretty surprising DD Scraggy check:

A-Vulpix @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 52 HP / 196 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest/Timid Nature
- Blizzard/Ice Shard
- Freeze Dry/Ice Shard
- Moonblast
- HP Ground / HP Fighting / Aurora veil / Ice Shard

Scarfed A-Vulpix is a cool dude that can set up Hail while still maintaining offensive pressure. Obviously, its damage on neutral targets isn't that high but fast ice moves can always be valuable and A-Vulpix has very good SE coverage. The set goes into the line of Scarf Dazzling Gleam Gastly and Scarf Doduo to make sure Scraggy can't sweep, regardless of Moxie boosts. I slashed Ice Shard on blizzard and freeze dry, but I think those moves are pretty important. I also slashed Aurora Veil, which could be used when you know Vulpix is going down this turn. Modest makes more sense to increase Vulpix' already low damage, but Timid can be used to reach the almighty 17 speed.

Last edited:

Corphish @ Eviolite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Corphish's flagship set remains largely the same, bopping mons with crazy strong Crabhammers. The advent of SuMo introduced a number of new checks to Corphish, such as Morelull and Mareanie. However, Gen 7 also introduced Mudbray, a very good Pokemon who just so happens to be be OHKOed by Corphish's Crabhammer at least 80% of the time no matter which set Mudbray is running.

So, what do you think of Corphish in SuMo?
As long as you have something that vaguely resembles Diglett on your team, YUM.
And while we're talking about offensive Water types...
Dewpider @ Eviolite
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 52 HP / 196 Atk / 100 Def / 100 SpDef / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Poison Jab
- Substitute

This set is made to do one thing: rip and tear through teams. Substitute is for a bit of safety, Liquidation is hugely strong STAB, Leech Life is both STAB and recovery, and Poison Jab is because Cutiefly exists. Also, Dewpider can be pretty bulky if you give it Eviolite. This set seems solid to me.

Berks

has a Calm Mind
As long as you have something that vaguely resembles Diglett on your team, YUM.
And while we're talking about offensive Water types...
Dewpider @ Eviolite
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 52 HP / 196 Atk / 100 Def / 100 SpDef / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Poison Jab
- Substitute

This set is made to do one thing: rip and tear through teams. Substitute is for a bit of safety, Liquidation is hugely strong STAB, Leech Life is both STAB and recovery, and Poison Jab is because Cutiefly exists. Also, Dewpider can be pretty bulky if you give it Eviolite. This set seems solid to me.
YUCK. Now that Cutiefly is gone, you won't need Poison Jab, I think most Substitute users should run Berry Juice, and I'm not a big fan of Dewpider when there are so many other good Water-type Pokemon.

How about Specially Defensive Hippopotas? It has the potential to switch into Sun teams and can potentially take on Hail with smart switching and baiting out Earthquakes from Sandshrew-A!
Hippopotas @ Eviolite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 132 HP / 20 Atk / 132 Def / 180 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off

Lean yuck. Normal Vulpix and Vulpix-A can both 2hko on the switch. You need to bait eq with Sandshrew-A which is pretty situational and risky. The ability to remove sun / hail is definitely nice though.

My contribution:

Mantyke @ Eviolite
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 116 Def / 196 SpA / 116 SpD
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

This is a fun custom set I've been using. I won twice using it vs. Celestavian in the sumo LC tour r2. It obviously doesn't fit on just any team, but in the right build I think it can work well.

One of the main draws is that it's an easy Foongus switch in to take Spore. It's quite bulky which allows it to make use of RestTalk relatively well (my spread gives 30 spdef w/ eviolite.) The lack of water STAB may seem odd but I think Air Slash is better to hit Foongus / fighting types and Toxic is very nice to hit mons like Vullaby (either defensive or offensive.)

YUM. Mantyke is really cool and it can just sit there and wear you down while you try to attack it. I think a defensive set is very cool.

Have a goat, free of charge!

Skiddo @ Eviolite
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 76 Atk / 52 Def / 140 SpD / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Horn Leech
- Rock Slide
- Brick Break

Skiddo is really cute and loves that Fletchling is gone. Switch it into a Grass move (or anything it can force out), and it gets a free Bulk Up (and possibly an attack boost!) Its coverage moves are decent, and while it can be easily taken down this cutie can setup pretty easily and is quite frightening once it gets going. (Ps: its slow!)

YUM. Mantyke is really cool and it can just sit there and wear you down while you try to attack it. I think a defensive set is very cool.

Have a goat, free of charge!

Skiddo @ Eviolite
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 76 Atk / 52 Def / 140 SpD / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Horn Leech
- Rock Slide
- Brick Break

Skiddo is really cute and loves that Fletchling is gone. Switch it into a Grass move (or anything it can force out), and it gets a free Bulk Up (and possibly an attack boost!) Its coverage moves are decent, and while it can be easily taken down this cutie can setup pretty easily and is quite frightening once it gets going. (Ps: its slow!)
YUM! I have a Skiddo team I never used much, but Skiddo is really fun, and I'd love to use it properly.

Vulpix-Alola @ Icy Rock / Light Clay
EVs: 52 HP / 196 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Blizzard / Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Encore

I made a Hail team recently, and I decided to use Alolan Vulpix, but with a twist. Encore. Encore lets you handle CM Gothita by Encoring it into CM, as well as Encoring other Pokemon that set up on Alolan Vulpix. Forcing switches like this gives you good opportunities to bring in your sweeper or set up Aurora Veil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)