XY UU Pokemon of The Week #4: Cresselia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to TRC. for the structure, project summary paragraph, and the idea!

The XY UU Pokemon of the Week is an (obviously) weekly project in the Underused forum. The idea originated from when we were reading many of the discussion threads, often the discussion is a bit lacking in the content department. Our goal here to is to highlight a threat in the metagame that isn't as well known, or isn't used as much as it should be, and provide a concise amount of information about that Pokemon; this will encourage creativity during teambuilding, and it will also provide an instant wealth of knowledge about that particular threat. This will hopefully be more helpful to the massive influx of new players in the UU subforum and promote better discussion within the individual threads. In this thread though, the main point of discussion should be about experiences with that particular Pokemon and the sets featured, and how it has helped in some way during your battling. Niche sets and gimmicks can be mentioned as well, but bear in mind that this thread is mainly an informative source of knowledge through what is written in the OP; discussion is not its main focus, though it is most certainly allowed. We need to make this point clear. Think of this like an article introducing you to a new threat that you can use; and try it out! Oh yeah, you can also VM me what you think the next POTW should be, bearing in mind that they will be on lesser-used threats!

This week's Pokemon is the Lunar Pokemon, Cresselia!

Type:

Base Stats: 120 HP / 70 Atk / 120 Def / 75 SpA / 130 SDef / 85 Spe
Abilities: Levitate
Introduction: Cresselia has kind of been a mixed bag this generation. While it did get the move Moonblast to smash Dark types like Scrafty and Absol, the Knock Off buff made it even harder for it to wall. However, Cresselia is still a great option for stall, as it is the third bulkiest mixed wall in the entire game barring Lugia and Giratina, while not having terrifyingly bad offenses and speed. It has a very expansive movepool to go with this, as it can support the team with Screen or can even potentially sweep with Calm Mind. It also has a great ability in Levitate, which lets it switch into a good portion of the tier.

What to Try:

Calm Mind

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Def
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Moonlight / Substitute

Surprisingly, Cresselia has some sweeping potential in the metagame. While it can brush through teams, the main appeal of this set is the fact that it boosts its Special Defense to monstrous levels, making it nearly untouchable. Psyshock is the main STAB of choice, as it hits Florges hard while having good power at the same time. Moonblast is to hit Dark types hoping to stop Cress's sweep. Moonlight can be used for healing Cresselia when its health is low, howver Substitute is also great to prevent Toxic and Leech Seed, which it both hates.

Dual Screens

Cresselia (F) @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Light Screen
Reflect
Moonlight / Lunar Dance
Psyshock / Moonblast

Cress can easily use its bulk to support the rest of its team, and make itself even more of a behemoth. Light Clay should usually be used to extend the duration of its screens, however if this doesn't matter to you then Lefties is also an option. Moonlight can be used if you think you might need to set up screens more than once, but Lunar Dance is usually superior as it can make way for a sweeper or late game cleaner. Either attacking move can be used, Psyshock for STAB, Moonblast to hit Dark types and for utility.

Full Support

Cresselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 SDef
Nature: Bold
- Moonlight
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock
- Moonblast

This is a catch all to fighting types, as Twave fucks all of them over, with the exception of Guts Heracross. Psyshock is for STAB, and Moonblast is for nailing Honch and Hydreigon. The EVs are so that it can switch into any Nidoking/queen, avoid the 2HKO, and take them down with Psyshock.

Other Options: Cresselia has a massive support movepool, as it has Thunder Wave, Gravity, Trick Room, and even gets Rain Dance / Sunny Day.

Charge Beam can be used to boost its Special Attack, but this is usually outclassed by CM.

Magic Coat can be used when you think a mon will be using Taunt, however this requires good prediction.

Psycho Shift is also an interesting option to pass status to other mons who hate it.
Teammates:
  • Fire types, such as Chandelure and Mega Houndoom can be used to defeat Steel types such as Escavalier, who are the bane of Cress's existence.
  • Heracross, who can switch in on predicted Toxics and proceed to clean with its Guts ability, and can be used against opposing CM Cresselias to impede their sweep.
  • A cleric, such as Aromatisse or Umbreon can be used to heal status that Cress usually despises.
Checks & Counters:

• Steel types, mainly Escavalier, who can threaten it with a STAB Megahorn.
  • Dark types, such as Mega Houndoom and Mega Absol can threaten it out with a STAB Dark type move.
  • Hippowdon, who can ruin Cresselia's healing with Sand, phaze out its boosts, or stall it out with Toxic.

Last edited:

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
the cm set should have a version that's subcm with moonlight - i've seen a lot of sets like sub/cm/moonlight/moonblast, because fairy is unable to be immunified and stuff.

also might be worth mentioning a trick room set, given that it's a good bulky tr setter.

Yea the old member of the Cress/Skarm/Bliss defensive core that was popular in the earlier stages of DP, it has seen a fall in use since it's debut, but i agree with Kitten here that there should probably be mention of its trick room set, it is one of the best bulky tr setters available as it can come in and take a lot of hits and keep resetting TR up as well as function as a strong pivot and support mon for any trick room team.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cress is a cool mon. Imo, she is the best answer to the Nidos. Borderline broken in RU Beta atm, Cress is quite the capable defensive Pokemon here in UU. Couple of things though:

Calm Mind:

- I agree that a mono attacker with Sub, CM, Moonlight, Moonblast / Psyshock is a worthy option. Sub stops status and Moonlight keeps Cress healthy. Moonblast has no immunities, but Psyshock has STAB. Pick one that works for you.
- While I haven't really tested this spread a lot in UU, I use a 248/176+/84 spread in RU Beta for CM Cress so you aren't quite as reliant on the SpDef boost from Calm Mind to take on special attackers. Not sure if it's worth it here in UU, but I think it's at least worth a look.

Dual Screens:

- Lunar Dance is mandatory imo. It's part of what makes Dual Screens Cress so good as it can setup Screens on elast time before fully healing a teammate that just needs one more shot to finish the match.
- I kinda like a faster 248/8/252+ Timid spread so you can get Screens up faster.

I really think a full-on support set would be interesting on Cress. Kinda overshadowed by Mew, but an option nonetheless. Here's what I'm thinking:

Cresselia @ Leftovers
- Moonlight
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock
- Moonblast​

Basically a catch-all check to Fighting-types as Thunder Wave will cripple about any Fighting-type in the tier. Psyshock hits the likes of Nidoking, Nidoqueen, and Mienshao really hard. Moonblast nails Dark-types such as Honchkrow and Hydreigon. Nature and EV spread gives as much physical bulk as possible while ensuring Cresselia can switch into any attack Nidoking or Nidoqueen can use, avoid the 2HKO, and taking them down with Psyshock while using Moonlight as necessary.

Isn't signal beam still legit , in sub calm set? I mean , it can hit Victini, Metagross, Bronzong neutrally, where moonblast fails to do so, while hitting dark types , too. Besides , boosted Psyshock , can deal with the majority of dragons. Also, I think it's legit to run some speed ivs and in special attack, cause cress doesn't hit too hard even boosted, and it's nice to outspeed some offensive pokemon.

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My friend Basidio (who I know didn't invent this set) used this set on me in Gen V UU, and though it's more of a really annoying gimmick, I figure it's worth mentioning at least, because it's not exactly the world's most...'conventional' way of using Cresselia, neither for yourself or your opponent (mainly your opponent).

Cresselia @ Flame Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Psyshock / Moonblast
- Psycho Shift
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

...Basically, Cresselia adds another layer to its madness by both being able to BURN the opponent at will, as well as have a chance to put them asleep when they thought they were safe, as opposed to just going in with Toxic/Thunder Wave. Flame Orb puts a big roadblock on your bulk passively of course, which is mitigated entirely by Rest. Sleep Talk allows you to have a 33% chance of putting the opponent to sleep while waking yourself up. This also gives it a chance against random Pokemon who thought they could get in for free on Cresselia given its coverage, such as Victini and the like. Of course, this isn't really an all-purpose wall of any sort, and it requires support of its own, preferably in the form of backup walls who can tank strong Bug and Dark STAB moves. Florges and even Aromatisse are decent teammates for this matter. Offensive Pokemon also benefit from this Cress set, since it can cripple things left and right, generating a number of free turns. I can't think of any specific instances that certain offensive Pokemon benefit from it, but..just sweepers in general really like having a burned or sleeping Pokemon to set up on, putting pressure back on the opponent. Even better if Cress happens to ruin your opponent's cleric somehow by doing this, since it doesn't care about Synchronize from Mew/Umbreon, and Florges can't really break it on its own. As to be said though, good support and execution are required, which is why this set's more of a gimmick than anything, because Cresselia is kind of a huge sitting duck (it does resemble a duck, kinda) after having used Rest, and Psycho Shift isn't always reliable. But I guarantee this set will confound your opponent to some extent.

Scarf Mienshao also partners well with this set due to its ability to revenge kill pretty much every offensive Dark-type in the tier barring a Mega Houndoom after Flame Charge. It's pretty important since this set is more likely to be setup bait if not a free switch to stuff like Hydreigon, Honchkrow, Mega Houndoom, Absol (Who actually counters you cause Magic Bounce if you don't run Moonblast), and the like (provided they don't get Psycho Shifted a Sleep status on the turn they come in).

Cress is a cool mon. Imo, she is the best answer to the Nidos. Borderline broken in RU Beta atm, Cress is quite the capable defensive Pokemon here in UU. Couple of things though:

Calm Mind:

- I agree that a mono attacker with Sub, CM, Moonlight, Moonblast / Psyshock is a worthy option. Sub stops status and Moonlight keeps Cress healthy. Moonblast has no immunities, but Psyshock has STAB. Pick one that works for you.
- While I haven't really tested this spread a lot in UU, I use a 248/176+/84 spread in RU Beta for CM Cress so you aren't quite as reliant on the SpDef boost from Calm Mind to take on special attackers. Not sure if it's worth it here in UU, but I think it's at least worth a look.

Dual Screens:

- Lunar Dance is mandatory imo. It's part of what makes Dual Screens Cress so good as it can setup Screens on elast time before fully healing a teammate that just needs one more shot to finish the match.
- I kinda like a faster 248/8/252+ Timid spread so you can get Screens up faster.

I really think a full-on support set would be interesting on Cress. Kinda overshadowed by Mew, but an option nonetheless. Here's what I'm thinking:

Cresselia @ Leftovers
- Moonlight
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock
- Moonblast​

Basically a catch-all check to Fighting-types as Thunder Wave will cripple about any Fighting-type in the tier. Psyshock hits the likes of Nidoking, Nidoqueen, and Mienshao really hard. Moonblast nails Dark-types such as Honchkrow and Hydreigon. Nature and EV spread gives as much physical bulk as possible while ensuring Cresselia can switch into any attack Nidoking or Nidoqueen can use, avoid the 2HKO, and taking them down with Psyshock while using Moonlight as necessary.

Added to the OP, thanks!

CoolStoryBrobat's Psycho Shift set has also been added to OO. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)