Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

For Teddiursa and Timburr, their eyes are still pointing in the direction of the opponent, indicated by where their pupils are pointing. With Heliolisk's current sprite, it's easy to tell that he's directly looking up into the sky - not onto the battle field. That's my main argument here, is that the eyes aren't focused on the battle at all.

By shiny swap, you meant actually trying to recolor the sprite into a different color, correct? I apologize in my misunderstanding then. I didn't realize that the yellows weren't all the same; that must have been a byproduct and a mistake on my part while experimenting with different color pallets; I ultimately chose to stick with the original. Though I don't fully appreciate the vague threat of not using a sprite based on a mistake that is a relatively simple fix.

I don't really see how the head is putting a lot of detail into a small space - the heads on both the original and my version are practically the same size - give or take pixel arrangements due to being diagonal. Really, the only thing size differently is the eye on the head, as it was shrunk to make it more linear. I can try to see what I can do about the arms and legs, though.

Hey, there! Brand new to the forums and an avid sprite artist. I'll be looking into what's left to be done and giving it a go. Out of curiosity, will this be done for the upcoming generation 7, as well?

Bumping this old thing because it's relevant. Ignoring those new colour changes posted above (which are great), I still have no idea why we're using the current version over these when the edits I made
a) make it much more anatomically correct proportions-wise (the current head is WAY too big and the body is too far down, among other issues)
b) give it a much better pose that makes a lot more sense for it to be standing in
c) makes the tops of the horns no longer look like they're "flat" against the top of the 96x96 pixel border, smoothing out the curve of them to look more natural.

Seriously it just doesn't make any sense to me, the current sprite just screams "uncanny valley" to me when compared to this edit.
I often come here just to read this thread and see all the good work you guys do with the sprites and I felt the need to respond to this. Not all Pokemon can be anatomically correct when made in to sprites, just because, some of them have too small heads with too many details on them(Xerneas in this case) that's why spriters tend to make the heads a tad bigger just so they can fit all the details on it. N-Kin's Xerneas looks just perfect and I see no good reasons to change it. Also N-Kin's Xerneas has a more 'flowy' or more 'natural' pose while the one with the smaller head looks too stiff(because of the straight leg). I don't want to sound rude or something like that, this was just my observation.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Any sprites ready for animation currently? I'd be happy to take another one on.
You can find out by checking the sprite spreadsheet. If there is a sprite that has been approved by layell and princessofmusic, then you can animate them. Just make sure that you are willing to do both the front sprite as well as the back sprite if you do!

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I'm sure many people are wondering about a Sun and Moon Sprite Project, the game has been announced for this year and we have starters and legendary Pokemon now. Here is my answer:

I will not be leading a Sun and Moon Sprite Project.

I would only expect a Sun and Moon Sprite Project to start once the XY Sprite Project is suitably finished with every Pokemon and Mega having a front and back.

I would be willing to advise and assist a new leadership team with starting the Sun and Moon Sprite Project, however nobody with any talent for spriting has stepped up to the plate. If you think you are up to that task, you should PM me in the coming week after reading this post.

If you want to lead the next sprite project, I would suggest helping to finish this one. This especially counts for anyone who has not proven themselves in this thread already. Because I'm sure the designs of whatever is coming next will be just as complicated as Mega Rayquaza and his friends, if not more so.

It is with some hope I find some way to get this all finished here, and despite some incomplete sprites I am still very happy with all that has been done in this thread.

Last edited:
I'm currently animating Greninja, and it's going good :)

I wanted to let you guys know what i'm doing.
Also as soon as I get my floette approved I will start animating floette's back sprite :)

View attachment 62703

Volcanion is only 5'7" and looked too large next to title legendaries like Zygarde, so I resized him. I also put together a new back sprite, in part because the old one had a few inaccuracies compared to the in-game model (e.g., unlike the front, the back side of the ring doesn't have light blue circles).

I had the non-shiny Meowstic sprites mostly done since February, but I evidently forgot about them for a long while and also didn't install Photoshop on my new laptop until recently. Shiny male Meowstic looks mildly surprised because of the light colours around his eyes, but oh well.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Greninja so far :) I'm now working on the odd animation.

What do you guys think?
I think it looks pretty good! About the head I do notice his right ear changing a bit on the tip. Also that when the head reaches its highest couple frames, it seems less fluid compared to the rest of its movement.

Speaking of things being fluid, Ill have to double check the sprites later today but going off what I remember, I think the tongue is a bit too fluid compared to the other bw animations. Most appendages tend to be stiffer in their movement.

Other than that, I think you did very well and I hope to see more of your work in the future!

Edit: after looking at the different sprites, there are a couple sprites that are similar but I don't think you should really base it off these since it looks more like the wind is what makes it do what it does unless that what you are going for.

These pokemon are more comparable for what you are looking for since wind is not a factor. Either way, none are as fluid as yours.

Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited:
Hello,

I noticed that you (and the internet?) don't have a Mega Beedrill back sprite, so I thought it might be fun to try to sprite again.

I realise they're not going to win any awards at the moment but I hope that this is at least a reasonable basis for one of you talented spriters to improve on (note that the shiny is merely for my amusement). In particular, my shading on the spears is atrocious and the back sprite's lower half needs (a lot of) work. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?

Edit: I have subtly adjusted the stripes on the abdomen of the back sprite as seen here:

Layell, princessofmusic, is this getting closer to what you had in mind? I will play around with the front sprite in the morning.

Last edited:
I'm glad you liked it, it's been a long time since I sprited! With your critique, I've tried to improve Mega Beedrill and this is what I've come up with:
_____OLD_________NEW____

There are minor changes to the stripes on both the back and front; I hope this is moving in the right direction.

By the way, what is happening with Mega Lopunny? There is no backsprite on the spreadsheet, but there were several in progress on page 122. However, this was over a year ago now! I wondered if it had been abandoned, so I thought I'd have a go myself.

I had a lot of trouble with the hair puffs... they are supposed to be 'flower-shaped'. Is this a salveagable attempt?

Last edited:

Ridaz

Don't @ me
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
Really liking how it's looking so far, but there are some issues with them;
The outlines are too rough in places, and use too much selout and not enough black which makes it seem irregular given how the style for Pokémon sprites usually is. The eyes also look anatomically inaccurate, as does the (from our perspective) left, large stinger which is missing the raised part at its 'top'.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Really liking how it's looking so far, but there are some issues with them;
The outlines are too rough in places, and use too much selout and not enough black which makes it seem irregular given how the style for Pokémon sprites usually is. The eyes also look anatomically inaccurate, as does the (from our perspective) left, large stinger which is missing the raised part at its 'top'.
Keep in mind the style of the regular Beedrill sprite, to some degree it should follow that, and Beedrill is a weird sprite.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
I'm glad you liked it, it's been a long time since I sprited! With your critique, I've tried to improve Mega Beedrill and this is what I've come up with:
_____OLD_________NEW____

There are minor changes to the stripes on both the back and front; I hope this is moving in the right direction.

By the way, what is happening with Mega Lopunny? There is no backsprite on the spreadsheet, but there were several in progress on page 122. However, this was over a year ago now! I wondered if it had been abandoned, so I thought I'd have a go myself.

I had a lot of trouble with the hair puffs... they are supposed to be 'flower-shaped'. Is this a salveagable attempt?
I actually didn't abandon Lops, I just got busy with other stuff. ;_;
However I believe I still have the frame works of the originals of both the front and back sprite, and I wouldn't mind posting them here if you want to edit them.

I'm still working on Greninja, and fixing the issues you guys mentioned - I did go a little overboard on the tongue didn't I :) -
The weeks are very busy right now but I'm still going at it!

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
I think both your animations look fantastic now. The only thing that stood out is the flower on flor. It kind of looks like its jumping around on certain frames. Sort of makes it look disconnected to the stem. Other than that, I think it looks great. Just be sure to make back animations as well if you want these to be used!

Thanks! I will fix that flower on Floette, didn't realize it until you mentioned it :)
and I will work on both Greninja and Floette's back sprites.

And thank you all for being so nice and polite :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)