Project What's His Last? v5 (Week 13: Manectric Offense)

what's his last 2.png

approved by bludz | last one by Littlelucario | OP shamelessly stolen from v4, which was also stolen from v3 | co-hosted with Hector Hard Mode | cool line-break thingies stolen from TDK's RMT
A long time ago, back when DPP was the current gen, and there was no team preview, the above question was often asked. You had to be prepared for anything in that last slot and use your deductive teambuilding skills to figure out just what your opponent was saving in the back. Still today, we can use these skills to better build our own teams. When building, there will be times when you have 5 perfect Pokemon. Mons that fit together so well that you just can't seem to pick a final Pokemon. Or sometimes you have a crippling weakness to a major threat and can't think of a mon that will cover it that fits the team. This project aims to let the community figure out what the best last Pokemon would be for a given team of 5.

Every round, I will post a team that is missing one Pokemon. You guys will then post suggestions for the final mon. Over the next few days, these nominations will be discussed amongst the users until voting begins. Once the vote starts, people will choose the last mon that they think fits the rest of the team best. At the end of the round, the Pokemon with the most votes will be the winner! The team will be archived, and the user who suggested the set will have his or her name alongside the team. Think of this as a lesson in team building!
0HbftP2.png
RULES:
1. Standard OU forum rules apply. No flaming/antagonizing please. Also no one liners please.
2. No joke sets. Sets that are plain bad/unviable are not welcome.
3. No slashing in your suggestions. You can't have 5 moves in a battle, why here?
4. Only one nomination per person, per round. Can't suggest more than one mon.
5. No changing the other members to another 'mon! However, suggesting a set change along with your nomination is perfectly acceptable, as the roles your nomination may bring may overlap with a current member, creating redundancy.
6. Voting for your own nomination is NOT ALLOWED.
7. Please PM me if you have a team you would like featured!
8. If you think one or two movesets should be changed slightly, feel free to mention it, just don't tear apart the team.
9. Only one person can nominate a certain Pokemon, per round.
10. Please write in at least 1-2 lines justifying your nomination!
11. Feel free to address/discuss other nominations! Make sure your post is discussion-oriented and not just a petulant jab, though!
12. Have fun :]
0HbftP2.png
Hall of Fame:
AM — 1
Infernal — 4
H.M.N.I.P — 2
ericaroselia — 2
p2 — 1

Last edited:
Archive:
Featured Team:
Mega Pinsir Hyper Offense built by daddy's kisses
485.png
645-s.png
121.png
286.png
127-m.png

Link to full post
Winner:
AM and his Rotom-Wash​
Featured Team:
Zard-X + Mix-Jirachi Offense built by Hector Hard Mode
645-s.png
647-r.png
381.png
385.png
006-mx.png

Link to full post
Winner:
Infernal and her Weavile
Featured Team:
Venu-Tran + Weavile Balance built by p2

Link to full post
Winner:
Infernal and her Clefable
Featured Team:
Mega-Pinsir + Mag Bulky Offense built by mencemeat

Link to full post
Winner:
Infernal and her Hippowdon​
Featured Team:
Lop + Hydreigon Bulky Offense built by TDK

Link to full post
Winner:
Featured Team:

Winner:

Last edited:
NEW TEAM BEING DISCUSSED:
Mega-Pinsir Hyper Offense built by yours truly

485.png
645-s.png
286.png
121.png
127-m.png

Heatran (F) @ Power Herb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 176 HP / 92 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Breloom (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Focus Punch
- Spore

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rapid Spin

Pinsir-Mega (M) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Description:

This is an HO build designed around SD Pinsir; I opted to build around Pinsir since its answers are relatively easy to wear down and lure right now and it dismantles fat builds pretty easily at +2. First thing I did after settling on Pinsir was look to hazard removal so I wouldn't scramble to put a half-fitting 'mon with hazard removal as the last pick, so my options realistically were a defog Lati, scarf Exca, and LO Starmie. Since Pinsir is naturally weak to fat grounds, I opted for HP Fire Starmie since it can pressure pretty much every common Stealth Rock user pretty easily, which fantastically compresses roles. Looking at the squad so far, I noticed a huge weakness to Scarf-Tar, sand offense, Bisharp, and Rotom-Wash, so I opted for Breloom over Azumarill as my obligatory HO weather offense check. Breloom's also far better than Azu or something like defensive Lando in the sand check slot because it doesn't exacerbate the team's current weakness to fast electrics like Manectric horribly. Next, the team looked really weak to Talonflame, Rotom-W (still), and needed a rocker, so Magma-Tran with Solar Beam fit well here. It lures Rotom very well, which opens huge doors for my offensive juggernauts sitting in the back. Final threats the build were Diancie-Mega, Manectric-Mega, Zard-X, and Talonflame (still), so I opted for Scarf-Lando for its ability to scare them out and possibly revenge kill them. HP Ice was thrown on over Knock Off or Explosion for its ability to catch fat Chomps and fat Landos, which can aid Pinsir greatly.

So... what's his last?

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise

Klefki helps deal with 3 huge threats threats to this team : Weavile (which just anihilates this team single-handedly), AV Superpower Tornadus-T (which can come in on literally anything bar Pinsir, Stone Edge-locked Lando-T and Breloom's Spore and end up being really annoying to deal with) and Mega Diancie (which can be played around, but can still be a pain, especially if Heatran has already used up its Power Herb). Additionally, it provides the team with Spikes support, which synergyses greatly with Rapid Spin, and helps weaken stuff for the rest of the team. Thanks to Prankster Thunder Wave, it doesn't sacrifice too much momentum for an offensive team like this, and can even cripple other annoying stuff like Talonflame (so that Pinsir out-prios it), Latios, and Mega-Alakazam

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Bug Bite

HO teams like this tend to have issues with offensive fairy types (particularly Diancie which checks Pinsir) and Scizor is very helpful in checking those and also Weavile which is a troublesome offense breaker. Furthermore, LO SD Scizor brings in and weakens a lot of common Pinsir checks like Landorus-therian, Garchomp, Rotom-Wash and so on. It also lures in and weakens Keldeo into Pinsir QA range. Also helps to have a secondary Dragon check if Heatran goes down, and it's another mon that can whittle down stuff like Thundurus and Manectric which are annoying for the team

Last edited:
Update: I changed rule #5 from (paraphrasing) "absolutely no changing of the 5 members whatsoever" to a more lenient and open version where you may suggest a set change or two on the original five 'mons should your nomination's role compression overlap too much with the current build.

To give an example, let's look at the nomination Albacore submitted. The primary reason Landorus-T was added was for speed control via scarf, but the addition of Klefki can render this somewhat obsolete, as Klefki supplies emergency speed control via +1 TWaves. Because of this, suggesting we change Lando's set to dual dance would be a splendid idea so as to help weaken Pinsir's checks while supplying an additional wincon (as 1 wincon on HO doesn't lend itself to the theme of constant pressure it sets out to fit).

Hopefully this encourages more submissions, as the previous framework for What's His Last was a bit too strict in my eyes. That said, keep 'em coming, guys! ^^

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Trick
- Healing Wish

Jirachi makes a double U-Turn Scarf with Landorus-T, helping in momentum.
Trick locks Skarmory and others walls, Healing Wish gives a second life to a partner and Iron Head hits fairies and help the team with 60% skill.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Rotom-W standard dex set. Your matchup against opposing flyers like Torn-T, TFlame (the viable variants at least), and M-Pinsir is super constraining right now and it's silly to think the mon in the last slot isn't something that has U-Turn / Volt Switch when you have two balance breakers, one cleaner (Starmie), and a rocker that more or less have been known to be successful with pivot support. You have a questionable match-up against sand builds as Breloom is designated as its revenge killer against SD Excadrill which Scarf Lando-T gets worn down really quickly by, stall builds who have the potential to make every team-mate barring the addition of Rotom-W a liability. Before saying Pinsir would give you the good match-up against these stall builds, you need to put your Pinsir in an actual position where it's not totally threatened by a status effect such as Scald by Quagsire, Wisp by M-Sableye, Brave Bird by Defensive Skarmory, and Twave by Chansey. While Rotom-W doesn't beat these normally, in the case of Quagsire and Skarmory they don't want to be burned and Chansey a lot of times comes in on Rotom-W to not put burden on M-Sableye, soak a hit, and heal up team-mates with Rotom-W providing itself momentum grabbing opportunities. Like mentioned before the offensive flyers in the tier are a large issue among a number of things and assuming certain team-building necessities and stuff in need of covering from what we're gonna assume is a utility or offensive that is missing, since this isn't a super bulky squad or anything, Rotom-W seems more logical.

I kind of get albacores logic on spikes here with Klefki but I think barring patching up the issue with Weavile a bit better, there's a lot of stuff Klefki is inviting that would be the end of this team, specifically Electrics. I don't know if speaking on other noms is allowed, obviously there's gripes and concerns with any nom even mine that could be stated, but it's the one that stuck out the most since it made sense to a degree but missed out on stuff I felt was relevant.

Rotom-W standard dex set. Your matchup against opposing flyers like Torn-T, TFlame (the viable variants at least), and M-Pinsir is super constraining right now and it's silly to think the mon in the last slot isn't something that has U-Turn / Volt Switch when you have two balance breakers, one cleaner (Starmie), and a rocker that more or less have been known to be successful with pivot support. You have a questionable match-up against sand builds as Breloom is designated as its revenge killer against SD Excadrill which Scarf Lando-T gets worn down really quickly by, stall builds who have the potential to make every team-mate barring the addition of Rotom-W a liability. Before saying Pinsir would give you the good match-up against these stall builds, you need to put your Pinsir in an actual position where it's not totally threatened by a status effect such as Scald by Quagsire, Wisp by M-Sableye, Brave Bird by Defensive Skarmory, and Twave by Chansey. While Rotom-W doesn't beat these normally, in the case of Quagsire and Skarmory they don't want to be burned and Chansey a lot of times comes in on Rotom-W to not put burden on M-Sableye, soak a hit, and heal up team-mates with Rotom-W providing itself momentum grabbing opportunities. Like mentioned before the offensive flyers in the tier are a large issue among a number of things and assuming certain team-building necessities and stuff in need of covering from what we're gonna assume is a utility or offensive that is missing, since this isn't a super bulky squad or anything, Rotom-W seems more logical.

I kind of get albacores logic on spikes here with Klefki but I think barring patching up the issue with Weavile a bit better, there's a lot of stuff Klefki is inviting that would be the end of this team, specifically Electrics. I don't know if speaking on other noms is allowed, obviously there's gripes and concerns with any nom even mine that could be stated, but it's the one that stuck out the most since it made sense to a degree but missed out on stuff I felt was relevant.
Yeah, addressing other noms is perfectly fine. I'll update the OP accordingly!

Gonna go ahead and open up voting for the weekend. You may vote for one of the following nominations:
  1. 707.png
    link
  2. 212.png
    link
  3. 625.png
    link
  4. 385.png
    link
  5. 479w.png
    link
Remember that if you'd like to have your team featured here, PM me and I'll give it a look! I'm gonna try to avoid featuring my teams here for diversity's sake so toss whatever at my PM inbox if you're up for it.

When voting, simply state the name of the 'mon you're voting for as opposed to the number it corresponds with!

My vote goes to AM's Rotom-Wash.

Last edited:
Gonna close up voting later Sunday so we can start with a fresh team for Monday, so get your votes in!

Final tallies:

707.png

212.png
|||
625.png

385.png

479w.png
||||

AM enters the hall of fame with his Rotom-W! Congrats to him!

New Team:
Zard-X + Mix-Jirachi Offense built by co-host Hector Hard Mode

645-s.png
647-r.png
381.png
385.png
006-mx.png

Jirachi @ Expert Belt
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Iron Head
- Energy Ball
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost
- Dragon Dance

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Defog

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 8 SpD / 88 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

HHM's Description:

Yo guys, this is a Charizard X offense that was designed for ladder and tournament play, but has primarily been used in test games with friends and on ladder. Charizard X appreciates having Roost to heal off residual damage and stay healthy throughout a game, so it's commonly forced to drop a third coverage move beyond its STABs. I noticed that a majority of common dual STAB Charizard X checks on offense and balance could easily be lured out and taken advantage of by Lure Jirachi, which is also the team's main Clefable and Mega Gardevoir check. Icy Wind and Hidden Power Ground take on Landorus-Therian and Heatran that come into Jirachi expecting its Choice Scarf set, weakening them for Charizard X to sweep. Choice Scarf Keldeo is essential to handle the low starting speed of the Jirachi + Charizard core while taking on Weavile, Bisharp, weakened Mega Manectric, Mega Lopunny, and Mega Diancie. Latios is necessary for removing Stealth Rock and Spikes with Defog while checking all variants of Keldeo with Recover. Thunderbolt helps to handle Azumarill, which can be easily put into range of Charizard's Flare Blitz if they use Assault Vest or take them out after two Stealth Rock switchins in the case of any other variant. It also pressures out Skarmory which believe that Latios is walled. Landorus-Therian acts as the team's main physical pivot, setting Stealth Rock and punishing Excadrill and Mega Lopunny via Rocky Helmet. 88 Spe EVs let it outspeed Modest Volcanion, limiting its ability to do damage against the team.

So... what's his last?

Last edited:

Sobi

Banned deucer.

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 244 HP / 216 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power Fire

i feel that this team teems mildly weak to bisharp and sand teams in general--which are rising in popularity these days--and would appreciate a bit of a defensive backbone to help with sponging attacks. rocky helmet tangrowth helps with punishing physical attackers such as bisharp and can cripple the foe with sleep powder, forcing a switch and allowing one of your pokemon to come in safely. with this change, you're also able to go for an offensive lando-t or even garchomp for a bit more offense if you'd like.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Tail
- Extreme Speed
- Swords Dance

Since the team has Charizard X, i think that Lucario is a good choice due to synergy they have, DD sweeper + SD sweeper, lucario can be used to wallbreak or sweep late game, if it manages to get a Swords Dance, it may be difficult to stop it due to 2 strong STABs + priority in espeed and i don't think it's an easy task to deal with the overwhelming pressure that these 2 sweepers (luke and zard) put into the opposing team, the synergy with Mix Jirachi is cool since it weakens some pokemon that check Lucario and some of the checks that it shares with Zard X, if it manages to get an Icy Wind on Landorus-T it's easier for them to sweep and Energy Ball helps with bulky Grounds and Waters like Quagsire, Slowbro and Hippowdon. Plus the team has Latios and these 2 form a cool core, Latios can wallbreak and provide utility since it checks Keldeo and if it is pursuited, Lucario may come in and Swords Dance so i think that this pokemon fits well on this team.

And the Luke + Keldeo core is great to annoy the user Arya of Winterfell

small suggestion: how about saying what pokemon was the actual last of the team with a brief explanation of why that mon was chosen from the person who submitted the team? i think it could be really beneficial to see how the winning submission compares to the actual last mon on a team (given they aren't the same).

with that out of the way, my submission:

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

pretty basic i know, but rotom-w fits pretty nicely here. offensive waters like azumarill and gyarados are pretty problematic for this team outside of thunderbolt latios and HP electric keldeo, so rotom-w can help take some of the pressure off of latios while also giving the team as a whole a more solid check to them. on the topic of waters, fat waters are also pretty annoying; having thunderbolt on latios and energy ball (to lure) on jirachi can help with inflicting decent damage, but rotom-w can help to whittle them down a bit by volt switching out, using pain split, and wisping them. it's definitely not as much of a check to these as Tio Chico's thundurus, but it can at least annoy them somewhat. like Sobi mentioned with his tangrowth, sand offense is sorta annoying here; landorus-t acts as a check to offensive grounds, but there's currently way too much pressure on it. rotom-w helps to alleviate some of the pressure on landorus-t by being a more defensive check to sand offense / offensive grounds and birds, allowing lando-t to focus more on mega lopunny, charizard-x, etc.. finally, tornadus-t is pretty difficult for this team to handle... lure jirachi doesn't do as good of a job at checking it as scarf jirachi would (offensively checking it not like switching into knock offs heh), so the main answers to tornadus-t here are outspeeding it with scarf keldeo and ddance boosted zard-x. rotom-w provides a really solid check to torn-t of course, making things much easier than they currently are.

i think going with an electric of some sort in general would be best. someone already posted thundurus-i, so i wanted to show the defensive side of things with how you can check tornadus-t and birds more effectively. however, this doesn't really help as much with bulky waters as thundurus-i or raikou would, but those are sorta at the cost of not being as great against birds / tornadus-t as rotom-w is... also, they don't alleviate pressure off of landorus-t against offensive grounds ofc :p.

small suggestion: how about saying what pokemon was the actual last of the team with a brief explanation of why that mon was chosen from the person who submitted the team? i think it could be really beneficial to see how the winning submission compares to the actual last mon on a team (given they aren't the same).
Yeah, sure. I'll reveal what the actual last is either just before I start voting or after voting closes because I'd still have to ask HHM why that certain 'mon is there. I'm not a fan of the idea of revealing the full team along with the team's introductory post, though, because I feel that it doesn't fit the thread's theme of working on deductive teambuilding skills.

On another note, a very useful tool for gauging a team's weaknesses is this website. You can import a team, and the site will try to evaluate what threatens it the most and what is solidly checked according to the OU checks compendium resource. It's also generally quite useful for teambuilding as a whole if you're trying to get a general feel for a core or team's weaknesses!

Yeah, sure. I'll reveal what the actual last is either just before I start voting or after voting closes because I'd still have to ask HHM why that certain 'mon is there. I'm not a fan of the idea of revealing the full team along with the team's introductory post, though, because I feel that it doesn't fit the thread's theme of working on deductive teambuilding skills.

On another note, a very useful tool for gauging a team's weaknesses is this website. You can import a team, and the site will try to evaluate what threatens it the most and what is solidly checked according to the OU checks compendium resource. It's also generally quite useful for teambuilding as a whole if you're trying to get a general feel for a core or team's weaknesses!
i think after would be best so it doesn't affect the voting process :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)