Project What's His Last? V4 (Round 24 Voting Phase: Semi-Stall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Original by Halcyon. and Subject 18 |V2 by AD impish john and approved by AM | OP stolen from V3 | Currently approved by celticpride and Subject 18

(Banner by Absolite)
Co-Hosted with wishes

A long time ago, back when DPP was the current gen, and there was no team preview, the above question was often asked. You had to be prepared for anything in that last slot and use your deductive teambuilding skills to figure out just what your opponent was saving in the back. Still today, we can use these skills to better build our own teams. When building, there will be times when you have 5 perfect Pokemon. Mons that fit together so well that you just can't seem to pick a final Pokemon. Or sometimes you have a crippling weakness to a major threat and can't think of a mon that will cover it that fits the team. This project aims to let the community figure out what the best last Pokemon would be for a given team of 5.

Every round, I will post a team that is missing one Pokemon. You guys will then post suggestions for the final mon. Over the next few days, these nominations will be discussed amongst the users until voting begins. Once the vote starts, people will choose the last mon that they think fits the rest of the team best. At the end of the round, the Pokemon with the most votes will be the winner! The team will be archived, and the user who suggested the set will have his or her name alongside the team. Think of this as a lesson in team building!

RULES:
1. Standard OU forum rules apply. No flaming/antagonizing please. Also no one liners please.
2. No joke sets. Sets that are plain bad/unviable are not welcome.
3. No slashing in your suggestions. You can't have 5 moves in a battle, why here?
4. Only one nomination per person, per round. Can't suggest more than one mon.
5. No changing the other members of the team, INCLUDING SETS. Only I can change the team and movesets.
6. Voting for your own nomination is NOT ALLOWED.
7. Please PM me if you have a team you would like featured!
8. If you think one or two movesets should be changed, feel free to mention it, just don't tear apart the team.
9. Only one person can nominate a certain Pokemon, per round.
10. Have fun :]

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hall of Fame
Winner: Team Pokepals and his defensive Mega Ampharos.
Winner: Team Pokepals with his standard latios
Winner: Albacore and his SpDef Ferrothorn
Winner: Bendiving and his swords dance Breloom
Winner: Albacore and his AV Metagross
Winner: Bendiving with his scarf Kyurem-B
Winner: Albacore with his wallbreaker Keldeo]
Winner: Infernal and her Starmie
Winners: Tie in between Infernal and yuruuu for Azumarill and Klefki respectively
Winner: superninjadillo and his Weavilie
Winner: Infernal and her Tornadus-Therian
Winner: Albacore and his scarf Landorus-t
Winner: Iloveleague and his starmie
Winner: Iloveleague and his keldeo
Winner: superninjadillo and his talonflame
Winner: Infernal and her AV Metagross
Winner: Infernal and her Amoonguss
Winner: yuruuu and his Keldeo
Winner: Infernal and her Zardx
Winner: matthewc20090 and his Rotom-Wash
Winner: HQuaze and his Rotom-Wash
HQuaze and his volcanion
ksr15 and his clefable

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
Round 13
Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SpA / 232 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Will-O-Wisp

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind
This is a pretty solid hazard stacking build made around an interesting mon in mega fabio that was built by yours truly. Fabio is so nice since it can check so many threats to common stall builds like mpinsir, zardy, and LO tornt. It also is a pretty solid pivot with volt switch that can get in other mons. Skarm is my primary check to faries like garde, diancie, and clef while also providing a valuable mon to beat physical attackers like weavile and ttar, and it can shuffle around the opposing team to rack up damage as well as stack up spikes to make grounded mons get worn down quickly. Clef is a solid wincon that provides a secondary weavile check as well as a check to kyub and mhera among other threats to stall. Talonflame is a secondary check to fairies as well as stuff like msab and LO serp that threatened the team, and it provided a secondary wincon with bulk up. Lastly, hippo is a nice check for elecs and talon among other mons that can trouble these kinds of builds, and it provides a secondary shuffler with whirlwind that can further wear down the opposing team.

But...What's His Last?

You may now Post

Last edited:
Starmie is your last: you have no heatran checks and keldeo checks and you have no spin.
Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock

I agree with iloveleague starmie is able to synergize with the rest of the team while being a check to your checks ^
Starmie also has the bulk to help the opponent at bay and scald can help cripple the opponent while RS helps keep hazards away. Also some people might think its offensive starmie and you might be able to force switches by bluffing
Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
Iloveleague you are gonna need more than half a line of description to justify starmie as a team member, although I do agree with your sentiments, and Ebrake., you're gonna need to select a different mon since league already picked starmie.

Tentacruel because it gives the team a keldeo check, rapid spin, gives toxic spikes to help wear down teams quicker as the team is very passive, and has good synergy with the rest of the team as its checks/counters are taken care of by other members. Also works VERY well with hippos whirlwind to quickly poison members of the opposing team and wearing down mons that are otherwise non-mangeable, much more easy to handle (such as hoopa). With mirror coat its a very good answer to manaphy.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 152 SpD / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Mirror Coat
- Toxic Spikes

It's going to be Starmie but let's pretend it isn't.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Defog

Latios gives the team a second Water resist and Keldeo switch-in while also being able to lure Heatran with Earthquake. Talonflame and Hippowdon can take advantage of Steel-types, Bisharp and Tyranitar that likes to switch into Latios. Plus, Latios gives the team a Defog user, which is mandatory for Talonflame.

Wartortle @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Foresight
- Withdraw

Wartortle has scratches on its shell that are evidence of its toughness as a battler. It beats that water unicorn mon by virtue of it not doing anything.
252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Wartortle: 76-91 (23.6 - 28.3%) -- 94.7% chance to 4HKO. Just look at that Wartortle taking hits all day. It also provides that sexy rapid spin support even against Mega Sableye teams and stuff because Foresight. It also stays alive for a long time due to its tail, which is a popular symbol of longevity, making it popular with the elderly. Blastoise? Nah, Wartortle is the way to go, look at it, cute af. It even has superior bulk due to Eviolite. You will also get more crits because its long fur-covered tail is said to bring good luck, and is a symbol of its age and wisdom. I even have Withdraw so that you can curl up in shame for not using a particular starfish instead.

This round has literally only one Pokemon to choose from lol???

Wartortle @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Foresight
- Withdraw

Wartortle has scratches on its shell that are evidence of its toughness as a battler. It beats that water unicorn mon by virtue of it not doing anything.
252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Wartortle: 76-91 (23.6 - 28.3%) -- 94.7% chance to 4HKO. Just look at that Wartortle taking hits all day. It also provides that sexy rapid spin support even against Mega Sableye teams and stuff because Foresight. It also stays alive for a long time due to its tail, which is a popular symbol of longevity, making it popular with the elderly. Blastoise? Nah, Wartortle is the way to go, look at it, cute af. It even has superior bulk due to Eviolite. You will also get more crits because its long fur-covered tail is said to bring good luck, and is a symbol of its age and wisdom. I even have Withdraw so that you can curl up in shame for not using a particular starfish instead.

This round has literally only one Pokemon to choose from lol???
Wartortle is far from viable in OU, and the Mega slot is taken so it can't be Blastoise. If it's not Starmie or Tentacruel, the only spinner left is Excadrill... and it suits the core surprisingly well.

(no pic cause mobile)
Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Excadrill can use Hippowdon's sand to sweep with ease and keeps opposing hazards off the field with Rapid Spin. Unlike Latios, the team's hazards stay on the field, which is essential for a hazard-stacking team like this one. It also appreciates support from Talonflame and Fabio to take care of Grass-types and Water-types respectively, and it returns the favor by covering Talonflame's Rock weakness (suck it, Tyranitar) and acting as a decent albiet shaky Heatran check. Keldeo still shits on this team though.

I've used Excadrill in the past, and unfortunately it didn't work too well on my Mega Heracross team. However, a team like this is a perfect fit.

Last edited:
Okay so every member of the team so far has some form of recovery, where Fabio is ResTalk, and everybody else is Lefties with a recovery move. I also see this team requiring a little more of physical bulk and a water resist, since the only thing that can take on water moves is like Fabio and Skarmory. And speaking of water moves, this team so far gets destroyed by Azumarill, especially Banded and Belly Drum ones. Let's also mention that we need a check to Manaphy too, as while we do have special walls, a Manaphy with TG boost can be really troublesome (since Clef is Magic Guard and not Unaware). And finally, I don't see a proper check to Ground types, mainly Gliscor and Lando-T. As they can't really touch us since we have Skarm, there's nothing that we can immediately threaten them and it will be scary if they have SD packing up.
So a Pokemon that checks a lot of these requirements would be AV Tangrowth.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Ice

Tangrowth has Regenerator so it fits in a bulky, recovery team like this one. Leaf Storm is to OHKO the mentioned Azu or Manaphy. It can also take a +3 Ice Beam, so that can really come in handy. It also is a secondary electric check as Earthquake can threaten the likes of Raikou, Magnezone and Manectric. Knock Off can get rid of any item especially those that rely on it, and HP Ice can 2HKO Lando and Gliscor, so it can scare the Ground types out of the way.
Yes, I didn't put in any hazard removal as we have Talonflame, but I don't think it's too big of a threat as every one of the mons have a form of recovery. They can get scary if there are too many layers of spikes and t-spikes but let's just rely on Clef/Talonflame or Skarm/Hippo at that point. There's also steel types like Ferrothorn and Scizor but I don't see them as threatening either as we have Talonflame that can Willo and shuffle them with Skarm and Hippo, I see Ground types as more of a threat.
I like semi-stall teams like this one where we have bulky recovery mons (where every mon has recovery) while we have offensive presence (Talon and Clef can set up), so I really thought Tangrowth can fit in the team.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
Just posting to alert you guys that the round ends on Tuesday at 5:00 EST, so get your posts in before then

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
Yeah guys, I'm sorry that I didn't get to posting the round on time lol, my Walmart internet struck again aside from like 5 minutes and it kinda crashed when i tried posting the round lol. Wartortle wasn't included since it's unviable lol.

Voting Options

Starmie, Iloveleague
Tentacruel, Me and ur mom
Latios, Random Passerby
Excadrill, Mega-Pokebattlerz
Tangrowth, zebra.k

Format your votes as above (without tagging ppl lol)

Last edited:

jacob

the obstacle is the only way
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
alright since you seem to have missed voting stage im just going to vote

Me and ur mom, Tentacruel

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
Sorry about the bad team w1, I just wanted to see what you guys would be creative with, but teams will be sure to get better in the following weeks as I will have a better review system. Also voting ends on Sunday at 5PM EST (hopefully my internet works that day lol)

edit: from now on rounds will be a week long with voting starting on thursday, but this week there wasn't too much participation and the team has limited lasts.

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
Votes:

Starmie, Iloveleague: 2 Votes

Tentacruel, Me and ur mom: Vote
Latios, Random Passerby: 1 Vote
Excadrill, Mega-Pokebattlerz: 0 Votes
Tangrowth, zebra.k: 0 Votes

Iloveleague has entered the hall of fame for winning, and the next team will be posted promptly, I hope that there is better participation for the next round

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
Thanks to jacob for the team
Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 168 HP / 16 Def / 184 SpD / 140 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 128 HP / 128 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost
This started off with fast bulky mega sciz with enough speed post mega to outrun 44 speed rotom-wash. Then a rocky helm lando-t was slapped on next for rocks and forming a nice defensive core with scizor and the next mon rotom-w which is a dual status variant to mess up clefs who think rotom is a free switch and then they get the yellow death. torn-t and lati round out the team because keld was looking scary and hazard removal was needed. Tornt also provides a nice anti-offense mon since the rest of the team is pretty slow and rotom-w has twave for that same reason, especially since lando doesn't have lefties to heal up and deal with zardx as reliably.

But...What's his last?

Infernal

Banned deucer.

Clefable
@ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower

+1 CM Mega Sab is hard for this team to take down, as nothing here is really able to pressure these variants enough to force it to switch once it gets going. Lando-T and Mega Sciz are burned and do negligible damage afterwards. Latios and Torn-T have to hope for some luck to take down +1 Mega Sab, who otherwise brushes off their attacks with ease. Rotom-W can't do much either, especially without Pain Split to force Mega Sab to heal more. Non CM Mega Sab is equally as annoying, and Clef addresses the problem while providing the team with an extra win condition.

Another weakness is Mega Manec as everything bar Latios is heavily threatened by its attacks. Although Latios is a decent check, it's vulnerable to Pursuit and has a lot of responsibility on this team between checking threats like Keld, Manaphy, and other Rotom-W. If you consider this along with Mega Manec's ability to continuously chip Latios down with SR up and Volt Switch in something to threaten the eon twin, seeing how this weakness can be problematic isn't hard. Clef relieves some of this pressure from Latios while helping with other electrics like non NP Thund-I too.

My final reason for suggesting Clef is that fairy types with fire coverage can pose a serious threat to this team. For example, special Mega Altaria and Mega Diancie are able to pressure a good portion of the team and only need to catch Mega Sciz once before they can mindlessly click Hyper Voice and Moonblast, respectively. Clef checks both nicely while helping with other potentially threatening Pokemon using fire coverage, like Latios and Kyurem-B.

Overall, Clef is a nice glue to tie up some loose ends. Flamethrower is basically here to threaten Bisharp, Mega Sciz, and even things like Zone more since this team doesn't appreciate giving them free turns.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)