What UU pokemon are least common BUT have potential?

I want to get into UU Competitive battling, and I like unlocking the true potential of "very underused, near NU" pokemon, it's just more satisfying...

So what are the least common leads etc. but still have potential, and just plain don't suck >_>?

Ampharos is cute >_> yes I also use pokemon according to looks...if it's hideous I will not go near it...I'm OCD like that. xD It even seems to have a good move pool.

What else :3?

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Tauros, I've been using it quite a lot recently and Choice Band Double-Edge hurts and often times ends the game with a late game sweep. It has a great combination of speed and power to get the job done. Its one weakness is Steel and Rock types, so carrying Magneton and Dugtrio with it is a good idea, and those two Pokemon can hold their own quite well so you're not really carrying dead weight when they take out a Steel or Rock Pokemon.

Magmortar.

Magmortar hits like a mach truck and has perfect coverage. It's also pretty fast and can beat Chansey with Cross Chop.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Skuntank is cool in UU, it's bulky and has Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Taunt, Explosion, and Poison Jab to work with. In addition, Magmortar is awesome because it gets Thunderbolt and Focus Blast/Focus Punch to work with.

I should ask Thund...D:? Well if that wasn't sarcasm or whatever the wink meant, I will if he doesn't post in this topic within 24 hours :3.

Keep posting :3 thank you!

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Agreeing with Magmortar and Skunktank. When you choose less popular Pokemon, make sure they're not almost completely outclassed by something else (Ampharos is pretty much outclassed by Raikou, even though it gets Focus Blast).

Anyway, my favorites, as far as having the potential to fill a useful niche, are: Pinsir, Tangrowth (although she's getting more love now), Poliwrath, Kanghaskhan, and Magneton.

Agreeing with Magmortar and Skunktank. When you choose less popular Pokemon, make sure they're not almost completely outclassed by something else (Ampharos is pretty much outclassed by Raikou, even though it gets Focus Blast).

Anyway, my favorites, as far as having the potential to fill a useful niche, are: Pinsir, Tangrowth (although she's getting more love now), Poliwrath, Kanghaskhan, and Magneton.
Well Ampharos can do a lot of things Raikou can do. Like you said, it could use Focus Blast, and it could also use Sub + Focus Punch and be used in a Trick Room. Plus, people don't really know what to expect from it (ex. my Specs Ampharos).

Definitely Tangrowth. Mine managed to be the MVP of my last team. My last team also had Cresselia, Porygon-Z, and Registeel. It even beat Raikou on a regular basis.

This was its set:

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
252 HP/202 Def/56 SpDef, Impish
-Amnesia
-Power Whip
-Sleep Powder
-Synthesis

What would be the best "team type" with a lead like Ampharos? Something about him stands out for me. <_< Once I figure out the possible team types for him I'll start researching some more.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would really advise against leading off with Ampharos, mainly because it's not much of an anti-lead, it doesn't allow you to get Stealth Rock up earlier, and there's no real benefit to leading off with it first turn other than to tell your opponent it's there and to counter the hell out of its obvious switch-ins.

But as a general team addition, just give it the Sub set if you want it to do anything. Its attack stat is pretty bad, even worse considering you'll run Modest, but at least it allows you to actually hurt Chansey.

Edit: I took a look at Lickilicky, that thing is really BA. I want to try that for a lead, either that or something else that's imtimidating yet also...cutesy xD.

Some of my personal favorites. Lickilicky and Kangaskan.

First lickilicky. It has a HUGE movepool that is completely overlooked. and great support moves that are overlooked as well. Wish, Heal bell, knock off. And its Defensive stats make it one of the bulkiest pokes in UU with only its speed being low, which is helpful though for gyro ball. I wish i can say more for lickilicky, but lickilicky is one of those pokes that speak for itself. It can run a Bulky physical sweeper, Mix-sweeper(not too good in UU IMO), Physical tank/wall,Special tank/wall.

Kangaskan. Alot of ppl would say that tauros completely outclasses kangaskan but this is not entirely true at all. The main difference is Scrappy. Scrappy allows kangaskan to play with alot more freedom then tauros. Spamming return with only rock/steel resisting it. Another great function kangaskan can operate that tauros cant is Sub Punching. This makes kangaskan a wall breaker in UU. Ruining the Chansey+Spiritomb combo which is seen as Skarmbliss of UU. And sucker punch makes kangaskan even more scary behind a sub. lol that's about half of what kangaskan can do, he can hit with elemental punches, fake out(which really does hurt), run a bulky defensive set with recovery outside of rest/sleep talk, and hit hard with fighting moves.

I believe these two need to see alot of action in the metagame

You should ask Thund, he will give you a nice list ;].
Don't mind if I do. =)

Lapras-Awesome Dragon Dancer with 101 subs (and ability to go mixed) and good Curser thanks to its abilities + STAB priority. Also makes a decent defensive support poke with Water Absorb + Perish Song/Roar/Haze. Also helpful against Rain teams.

Ninetails-Some say it's a weaker Houndoom, but it has enough advantages to not be outclassed. Doesn't have a Fighting-type weak, has more bulk, and has access to Hypnosis. If you're like me the accuracy won't put you off but it does to most people. But it still saves my ass from time to time. A good choice for a Nasty Plot sweeper fosho. And how could I forget! Grudge! Love getting rid of somethings Surf/Earthquake/Chanseys Seismic Toss then sweeping with another poke. x)

Ampharos-Specs is just so deadly. The only thing really keeping it in check are those pesky Ground-types. (Chansey eats Focus Blast) Also has a good support movepool and like Zapdos is an Electric-type that doesn't roll over and die from a Caterpie's Tackle.

Jumpluff/Lopunny-I lumped these two together but they play somewhat differently. The reason I kept them together is that they are best known for fucking with opponents through the use of their high speed and Encore. Jumpluff also gets Sleep Powder and Leech Seed to annoy opponents all day while also being able to set up Sunny Day and Memento. Lopunny gets Switcheroo and with Klutz it can really throw the opponent off guard. It can also Baton Pass Subs and Agility.

Charizard-Yeah yeah yeah it's 4x weak to SR but so what? So is Moltres. I don't like Belly Drum at all. What I like is mixed Subpunch, with Fire Blast and Hidden Power Grass as the other moves. Unlike Moltres it can actually muscle its way through Chansey and then sweep the team. I use Rash so it can even 2HKO Milotic if it has just been slightly weakened and switches into SR. Oh, and Blaze is just beastly. OHKOing Arcanine ftw.

Magmortar-Similar to Charizard. Thunderbolt on a Fire-type? Yes please. This allows it to use HP Ice for coverage. Can also rip Chansey a new one with Cross Chop. I always wonder why it's still stuck in NU.

These are just a few NU's, but if you want pokes that are actually UU and underrated, i'll start the list with my personal favorite.

Torterra-Mhm. I have no idea why people don't consider this a threat. Rock Polish is nice and all, but i've ripped through entire teams with a CB set. It has awesome coverage with Wood Hammer/EQ/SE/Filler. Also has nice bulk. Jak3 has a good support Torterra on one of his teams that never seems to just retire. =P

Mesprit-Uxie is so high yet Mesprit is so low. I feel bad when people use Mesprit in the role of the pathetic SR lead similar to Uxie. Capitalize on it's higher offensive stats and access to Ice Beam. Makes a great Calm Mind sweeper and i've found that it's Choice Band set is pretty deadly, especially when everyone just switches in Chansey expecting it to tank its hits.

Poliwrath-I'd use this guy over Azumarill any day. Sure it doesn't have Aqua Jet but SubEncore just shits over Azu, especially since Poliwrath can easily outrun Milotic and Encore it before it gets a chance to Hidden Power Grass, while Azu is useless against Milotic. I've seen a few Belly Drum sets but they never really accomplished much. Abuse Water Absorb and Encore and you got a pokemon that can almost match Jumpluff's and Lopunny's annoyingness.

Hariyama-Used mostly as a slow bulky pokemon used to counter certain threats (SpD for Houndoom, Mismagius while Def for switching into walls like Steelix and Registeel to set up subs), I find offensive variants much more rewarding, I run a lead that abuses Guts and it can run through teams on its own if the opponent isn't careful. Payback + Bullet Punch owns Frosslass which is always a plus.

I think that's enough for now. ^^

breh

強いだね
Houndoom lead... it's not very common (at least in my experiences) and acts as a great anti lead. This is due to its possesion of Taunt and high speed, as well as access to Sucker Punch and Pursuit on the physical side and Nasty Plot on the special side. Additionally, its nice stab 2HKOs lead Uxies (Dark Pulse I mean) and it can run roar (which has robbed many a cocky Raikou of its CMs) or counter for the lulz.

Additionally, I've led with Hitmonlee before... huge attack (and 120 BP stab to use it with), decent speed, priority, and Fake Out (as well as the oddly useful Rapid Spin) make it pretty good.

RP torterra can destry teams if (kinda big if) you can get it in free to RP. used to come in a registeel alot that twaved or SR'd but they aren't as common anymore.

gotta run adamant with life orb though. life orb + wood hammer kilsl you fast, but you don't use wood hammer often... usually they bring in a flyer first so you stone edge and pray it hits.

I would say Jumpluff. ^^

I use a Jumpluff lead myself and because of his great speed is can put to sleep these annoying leads like Uxie, Omastar, ... before they can set up rock or screens or something alse that's gay. Besides Jumpluff has access to Encore, Leech Seed, U-turn, Substitute, Reflect making it a very good support pokemon and it can force a lot of switches.

Leafeon is a pokemon that people might consider to be overshadowed by Venusaur from a sweeping perspective- This seems to be the case when comparing Venusaurs usage to that of Leafeons. However, I think Leafeon is better, mainly because it has physical bulk, higher speed and more attack, as well as baton pass. Its movepool might be pretty shitty but if you come across a Steel or Fire type trying to walll you, baton pass that SD or sub (or both!) out to something like a Sub punch Poliwrath or RP Rhyperior. Awesome

People already said Kangaskhan but for a reason. It has decent physical offensive power, it's Spe is okay and is rather bulky. His ability to hit Ghost types (Scrappy) means that there aren't to much pokemon that could switch in safely.

Things like RP Torterra, Hariyama, Tangrowth and even Mesprit i dont think fit the description of "least common". If i see them on a team i dont think twice about it, even though they are underated.

First lickilicky. It has a HUGE movepool that is completely overlooked. and great support moves that are overlooked as well. Wish, Heal bell, knock off. And its Defensive stats make it one of the bulkiest pokes in UU with only its speed being low, which is helpful though for gyro ball. I wish i can say more for lickilicky, but lickilicky is one of those pokes that speak for itself. It can run a Bulky physical sweeper, Mix-sweeper(not too good in UU IMO), Physical tank/wall,Special tank/wall.
Seconding this for sure. I saw you laddering wiht it yesterday, i myself have been using it on and off for months now; usually as a special wall with wish, protect, return, aqua tail (so that mismagius cant set up). couple it with heal bell uxie, covering the status and fighting weakness and needing the wish healing and you have a good combo. Not great for stall but perfect for a balanced team.

Agreeing with Ninetales & Magmortar

For me however, the least used pokemon that can do alot is Entei. Lead, Crotei, Wow status spreader.

Quagsire also deserves more love; good check for rain teams, excellent synergy with Moltres. Think of him like Poliwrath with reliable recovery and immunity to Twave (set up on registeel).

Oh my, thank you all so much, especially Thund for the large list :3

NU team now :3

Now, if I was to lead with lick:

Lickilicky
Kangaskhan
Jumpluff
Charizard/Magmortar
Ninetails
...Magneton or Lapras...?

I know this is probably a mess, and there's that always a counter to above said, and there are no move sets, but improvise with me.

What is the best team type to aim for if I have lick (ignore the others for this question)?

Who to keep/who to remove according to that team type?

Just help in general would be nice, sorry if I am asking for too much :].

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)