What languages do you know/are you learning?

English, Konkani, Kanada and Hindi. I'm pretty good at French and I'm usually able to fluently understand / read it, unless my mind just blanks (Which is sometimes c. I can fluently speak Malyalam and Marathi, terrible at reading / writing it. I can understand bits of Spanish here and there though I'm not amazing at it.

Coming from an Indian family means I know three Indian languages and can fluently speak two. (You've probably never heard of any of them before, maybe Hindi) I picked up French out of boredom really. I knew a decent chunk from school, and I got these Learn French audio books to listen to when I was bored and actually ended up picking up French (It wasn't an overnight thing, I had prior knowledge ;_;). English is well, obvious, I'm not gonna get very far if I live in England and I'm not able to speak the native language.

Not looking to learn any languages in the future, tbh. Maybe Spanish, but it'll probably the same case scenario as the French thing albeit more time consuming considering I have less prior knowledge.

Conni

katharsis
My progress with spanish has improved some what but I wouldn't say I'm quite fluent or comfortable with my speaking, although I can write and speak moderately well. I'd probably stutter a lot if I talk lol.

Focusing more on Japanese now since I had an interest in the language for a while now and my irl Japanese friend helps me with this stuff too. I can type hirigana and katakana perfectly if I know the romaji since Japanese keyboard is a god but I'm trying my best to remember the letters and I'm also working on grade 1 kanji so I have a lot to remember. But at least I can remember some letters and kanji haha but I have a lot more to go since there are so much more complex kanji out there, it surprises me how native Japanese people can remember all of that...

I'm on and off attempting to learn Japanese (unsuccessfully). I've spoken English my entire life, and bar required additional language classes in my earlier educational years for languages such as Spanish (which I basically completely forgot two months after I finished the last required class), it's the only language I know. On a non-spoken language front, I'm attempting to learn to code in GML.

i attended some mandarin classes for a possible excursion to beijing (did not work out lol). other than that i'm a native afrikaans and english speaker.

Posho

local gaymer weeb
is a Tiering Contributoris the Smogon Tour Season 23 Championis a Past SCL Champion
My mother tongue is Spanish. Since I live in Barcelona I can also speak Catalan, sort of though, since I used to live abroad and now I'm re-learning it with decent results and as you've noticed I speak English pretty well and fluently, unless I get stuck while talking, but that's mainly because I still need to widen my vocabulary quite a lot before finally mastering this language. I'm also planning on learning some other European languages, such as French, but we'll see!

US native, so obviously mother tongue is English. I know a bit of Spanish and I'm going to begin taking a class on Latin in a few months!

I'm a native Dutch speaker and I speak English on a decent level.
English is a really important language for me since it's the language I have to use to talk with my boyfriend.
I have French classes in school but I can't really speak it well. I'm still looking to improve it, and I could use some help.

I always liked self learning a language though I always quit after 2 months or something.

I'm Indian , so my my first Language is HINDI, i know english as well tho i make silly miskates sometime... i tried french but couldnt give time to it...and that's it

I am a native speaker of mandarin, and I also speak Taiwanese. Because I have lived in Taiwan my whole life, I did not learn my ABC or any sort of English until I was 10 years old. When I first started learning, I was very frustrated. I had no clue why I was saying the alphabet, or why I was even learning the language. What made me even more mad was that when I first joined smogon, I could not really talk with anyone, except for the people in the Chinese room on showdown, so I stayed in there for years. However, I wanted to be fluent, or at least be able to have a regular conversation in English, with other people on the site, so as the years passed by, I eventually picked myself up. I started reading English books, writing a few times a week, even practicing speaking with my classmaes, all in English. Even today, 6 years into learning English, it is still a bit tougher for me to talk with other people on this website and showdown because my vocabulary is more limited than them. Making posts for me can also be a little troubling because I feel like I may make a grammar mistake or end up saying something the wrong way. But, it is going to get better from here, especially because I have been practicing my English on showdown and at school this past year. I am grateful for everyone here for allowing me to improve my English and my self confidence in general.

Last edited:
I am a native speaker of mandarin, and I also speak Taiwanese. Because I have lived in Taiwan my whole life, I did not learn my ABC or any sort of English until I was 10 years old. When I first started learning, I was very frustrated. I had no clue why I was saying the alphabet, or why I was even learning the language. What made me even more mad was that when I first joined smogon, I could not really talk with anyone, except for the people in the Chinese room on showdown, so I stayed in there for years. However, I wanted to be fluent, or at least be able to have a regular conversation in English, with other people on the site, so as the years passed by, I eventually picked myself up. Even today, 6 years into learning English, it is still a bit tougher for me to talk with other people on this website and showdown because my vocabulary is more limited than them. Making posts for me can also be a little troubling because I feel like I may make a grammar mistake or end up saying something the wrong way. But, it is going to get better from here, especially because I have been practicing my English on showdown and at school this past year. I am grateful for everyone here for allowing me to improve my English and my self confidence in general.
As fantastic as it is that you are improving your English it worries me greatly that you're learning it from Showdown

Ereshkigal

Kur Kigal Irkalla !!!
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As I'm French my native language is, y you got it !, French, i have a pretty good english but i won't say i'm speaking it fluently tho, i've also learned spanish but i'm really meh at it. This year i should learn dutch through my university courses and one day i'll try to learn japanese when i won't be lazy ^_^

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not currently learning it, but I want to learn Gaelic at some point (definitely Irish Gaelic, but maybe Scots Gaelic too at a later date) at some point just 'cause I think it's a really beautiful language. My Grandma grew up in rural Ireland and spoke it when she was growing up, meaning that she remembers a lot of it and can help me when I get stuck, so that is another incentive to learn it too.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm learning Vietnamese right now, on my own, as an ongoing goal starting as a New Year's resolution in 2014. I am Vietnamese, but my parents never taught me much growing up besides etiquette phrases and honorifics. That does mean I've gotten past the hardest part though: the tones, which I am convinced are pretty much impossible to learn without superhuman talent once you're already an adult. So right now it's just a matter of building up the vocabulary and fortunately I do have a lot of family to practice with. I think this year I've made the most progress since I started back in late 2013.

I also took Latin for my university's foreign language requirement. I really enjoy the language, especially with seeing its influences on other languages. But now that I've fulfilled the requirements, I really don't want to continue with it for a grade. The same goes for German, which I really wanted to take instead of Latin, but it was full by the time I signed up. I don't think I'd want to take that for a grade either, so I probably will never learn it.

On that note, I'm curious as to what everyone's motivations are for learning other languages. For me personally, learning Vietnamese has a lot of practicality to it because it will help me engage with my family and community more. I've also become more appreciative of my heritage as I have grown older. I imagine this is also a big motivation for foreigners to learn English. But learning a language outside of school or for practical reasons, especially languages that are quite difficult, I wonder how people manage not to give up on it. Personally, I've found learning with friends makes it much more engaging and fun. It also gives you a lot of inside jokes which are always fun.

Used to be proficient in Spanish but went like 5 years without studying it, which I completely regret, so I'm getting back into the swing of things there. Also trying to decide which of Portuguese/French/Italian I want to pursue. I want to learn Portuguese solely because I am part Portuguese but I have more interest in learning French or Italian, and time constraints keep me from learning any combination of the three.

I took Chinese my senior year in HS and didn't really enjoy it, and some of these other languages y'all are mentioning sound intimidating/time-consuming to even get the basics down, so I'll stick to my romance languages lol

Spanish (as a native language) and English (through private lessons, though that ended around 8 years ago) are the ones I know.

I've been considering the possibility of studying Italian and Galician some time in the future due to my grandparents being from those places.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)