What languages do you know/are you learning?

Native Brazilian, so my mother tongue is Portuguese. I speak a bit of English too, but I learnt it from 0, yes, I was just like Kael when I joined Smogon. I lived in France for 10 months and I'm still practicing it, I speak it almost perfectly and read it without many issues tho it's a hard language to speak fast, but I'm p bad at writing, unfortunately.

Whilst English isnt my first language, its the language Im most fluent in and I can easily pass for a native speaker. I also speak Urdu, though I sometimes make grammatical errors, and a little bit of Punjabi. Im also semi-fluent in Kryptonian, a result of being a huge Superman fan.
Id also love to learn Mandarin or German.

Fluent in Arabic, English and japanese. Advanced in French. Planning to learn Russian.
Would love to speak to some people here in different languages :).

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Fluent in Arabic, English and japanese. Advanced in French. Planning to learn Russian.
Would love to speak to some people here in different languages :).
How does it feel to learn Arab?
Is it completely different from European languages + Asian languages, or is it somewhere in between them?

I'm part Arab by blood but I didn't know this until my late 20's. So I knew nothing about Arabs but I want to know more about my heritage.

I'm fluent in Chinese, English and can understand basic conversations in Japanese and Spanish.
I wonder if it's going to be really difficult for me to learn Arabic at this age.

How does it feel to learn Arab?
Is it completely different from European languages + Asian languages, or is it somewhere in between them?

I'm part Arab by blood but I didn't know this until my late 20's. So I knew nothing about Arabs but I want to know more about my heritage.

I'm fluent in Chinese, English and can understand basic conversations in Japanese and Spanish.
I wonder if it's going to be really difficult for me to learn Arabic at this age.
I grew up speaking Arabic, and it hasn't really been super close to any other language I've learned.
If I had to guess it would probably be somewhere between European and Asian, just due to historical reasons.

NabboCheTesta

Gniubbo come sempre
I speak Italian natively, and from what my professor says, I speak English quite well (I know I can express myself and comprehend even native speakers, and that my vocabulary is pretty rich, but I don't know much about the quality of my grammar, especially since I basically learned English more by speaking it on the Internet than by taking regular english lessons, but I think I am not going to shot myself in the head if I find that my grammar needs some polishing). I studied French for 3 years, but as of now I don't remember anything, it's been four years since I last spoke in French.

native english speaker, been learning spanish for the last 1.5 years or so, and just started learning icelandic this month :)
I've heard Icelandic is one of the most difficult languages to learn, due to its hard to pronounce words and complex grammar? I might be wrong but that's what I've heard at least. Thoughts?

As for me, besides English, I speak both Cantonese and Mandarin at a decently fluent level, although my Mandarin might have deteriorated since I hardly use it outside of unintentionally eavesdropping on the many international students in my area.

I've heard Icelandic is one of the most difficult languages to learn, due to its hard to pronounce words and complex grammar? I might be wrong but that's what I've heard at least. Thoughts?
Well, language difficulty isn't objective. In addition to your learning resources and motives, it depends on what your native language is and what other languages you know. Icelandic, like English, is a Germanic language, so much of its basic vocabulary will be similar to English's. This should help English speakers at least in learning vocabulary. Without getting too much into detail, it does have some sound features English doesn't, but nothing that'd be very hard for an English speaker to learn. Grammarwise it'd be complicated for its synthetic features, but again, if you're familiar with German or Latin it's not too harder. It'd be harder to learn than Spanish or German, sure, but it certainly isn't one of the hardest.

I know a bit of Latin, mostly vocab (learned latin roots pretty well in high school, very briefly studied the language in a short stint at college), I can read Spanish pretty well, and understand it moderately well vocally, but I can't write or speak it worth beans (Took four years of Espanol in high school), and I'm a native Engrish speaker.

I'm native a English speaker, but I'm learning French and intend to learn Spanish. I also know enough German for like a vacation, and a few good insults in Russian.

Jisoo

two slow dancers last ones out
is a Pre-Contributoris a defending SPL Champion
Fluent in English (First language), Hebrew and Spanish, taking French in school now.

I am also self teaching myself Russian at home when I have the chance!!

Lou

going solo
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm from Venezuela so, my mother tongue is Spanish. I've learned a lot about English (but still learning) and i want to learn Japanese and Portuguese.

My first language is Italian, I studied English, Spanish and French. I recently got a diploma that certifies I'm level C2 in English after spending a week studying in the UK, YAY!!! :D
I would like to learn German as part of my family is from Germany, and maybe some other interesting language such as Arabic? Russian? Japanese??? I don't know

Thanys

Banned deucer.
Hello, good afternoon :), well, i from Brazil, so my native language is Portuguese, i am learning English, i do English course two years ago, i really like English, but in the future I intend to learn Corean.

Toxigen

get numb to it
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
fluent in italian (first language) and english. I'll 100% learn spanish in the future and maybe french

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was born in Luxembourg and I grew up with 3 languages: Luxembourgish, German and French.

During my time in high school I also learned English and I pursued Latin courses during 4 years and Ancient Greek courses during 1 year as well.
While I still remember a lot from my Latin studies, I have to admit that I've unfortunately forgotten most if not everything I learned during the Ancient Greek courses.

In addition to this I'm currently a university student and I'm presently studying Spanish and I'm going to start my 3rd semester of Spanish in November.
What's more, this November I'm also going to start Mandarin Chinese courses for beginners in order to add a predominant Asian language to my linguistic repertoire.

Learning languages has already piqued my interest back when I was a child and I'm using this passion of mine to my advantage to pursue my dream of becoming a translator and/or interpreter one day.
My drill is the one that will pierce the language barriers!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)