Online Competition Weakness Cup [playable on Showdown!]

My team is about ready, I'm missing all but one Pokémon, Aerodactyl. I was sure I had one with the unnerve ability in either AS or Sun but I see it nowhere so I'm low-key freaking out since this was going to be my first time using Aero in a in-game competition. I'll need to think of a replacement soon as I believe the competition is starting tonight. Fml. Lol

Great first 10 games, went 9-0 up to 1614 before a mamoswine crit my dhelmise with ice shard then crit my weavile with rock slide :( 9-1 at 1607 is better than i thought id start so hope i can carry on. game said it cant find me an opp so im going to bed lol

I went 14-1 first day. My only loss stemmed from Tapu Bulu vs Gigalith and Tyranitar. Tapu Bulu koes Gigalith, and Tyranitar goes for Ice Punch, which Bulu survives, only to get frozen... GG.

So far my two teams (one each in Sun and Moon) are both 12-3.

My Trick Room team (in Moon) has Chandelure, Slowbro, Exeggutor, Tangrowth, Tyranitar, and Crabominable. The basic strategy is to use Tangrowth as a shield (as it has Rage Powder) and sweep with Trick Room set up. I have a way to get around most things that can stop Trick Room from being set up: Chandelure is immune to Fake Out, Slowbro (with Oblivous) is immune to Taunt, and Exeggutor is immune to Spore. So far, I have only failed to set up Trick Room once (that was a loss). I've been surprised by the effectiveness of Exeggutor, and I've actually used Tyranitar and Chandelure the least so far. Side note: When setting up Trick Room against Whimsicott, make sure to switch out immediately after using it, as Whimsicott can use priority Encore, which could really mess you up.

My 'normal' team (in Sun) consists of Tyranitar, Togekiss, Weavile, Greninja, Chandelure, and Latios. The featured strategy is to set up with Tyranitar and shield it with Togekiss, but I can lead with pretty much any set of two of these Pokemon. In particular, Weavile and Greninja are a pretty good lead combo, as I can either attack with one and shield (by using Fake Out and Mat Block) with the other, or simply try to press my luck, avoid any Whammies, and attack with both of them. So far, I've used Chandelure and Latios the least, but they both have been helpful at times.

Good luck with your teams everyone!

Last edited:

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
super nice day for me going 14-1. Dual Tailwind is so good and once i get it up I always feel in control of the game. Only lost cuz I played bad and I havent found any matchups where i felt i had to really work to win unlike last competition.

So, I've probably gone 10-5 day one. My most embarrassing moment was not packing SERPERIOR or chandelure against a team running pallosand. I've never been idiot walled that badly. Then, I dropped a tyranitar and it's replaced by a ribobee that cotton guards. Sky drop twice, rock slide, smart strike gets protected, then rock slide. Pallosand finally got me that round.

Golurk has been very middle of the road for me, but time was limited, so I only had time to breed a little, but did have 12 ish different ball/move/ability Dactyls around that had 5 perfect IVs and jolly so that's been the MVP, but I've never used wide gaurd yet this tournament. I appear to be the only one confident in rockslide spam with all these weavile fronted teams around.

I always led with Dactyl and Greninja. If my opponent used fake out on Dactyl, I worried. If they faked out the short term problem Greninja, they always lost weavile to rockslide, and had to hard switch whatever Greninja was going to hit or it died next turn.
I.put anti-psychic Berry on my Greninja, it's been triggered twice by my low kicking, living through a psychic move, then normally gunk shotting a bulu or togakiss.

Anyone feel like the berries are a blind Sash in this competition?

A disappointing Day 2, 8-7.

After 2 days I am 17-13.

I'm not sure if being 16-3 with TR up is enough to consider it decent. 1-10 without TR is definitely a major disappointment.

I just don't have a real counter to Bulu. Nothing STAB anyway.

Last edited:
So, I've probably gone 10-5 day one. My most embarrassing moment was not packing SERPERIOR or chandelure against a team running pallosand. I've never been idiot walled that badly. Then, I dropped a tyranitar and it's replaced by a ribobee that cotton guards. Sky drop twice, rock slide, smart strike gets protected, then rock slide. Pallosand finally got me that round.

Golurk has been very middle of the road for me, but time was limited, so I only had time to breed a little, but did have 12 ish different ball/move/ability Dactyls around that had 5 perfect IVs and jolly so that's been the MVP, but I've never used wide gaurd yet this tournament. I appear to be the only one confident in rockslide spam with all these weavile fronted teams around.

I always led with Dactyl and Greninja. If my opponent used fake out on Dactyl, I worried. If they faked out the short term problem Greninja, they always lost weavile to rockslide, and had to hard switch whatever Greninja was going to hit or it died next turn.
I.put anti-psychic Berry on my Greninja, it's been triggered twice by my low kicking, living through a psychic move, then normally gunk shotting a bulu or togakiss.

Anyone feel like the berries are a blind Sash in this competition?
For Greninja, I would rather just run no item for a base 110 power Acrobatics, especially since no one is going to use Psychic on a Greninja on turn one, but that's just me. If it has helped you win some batttles, then it will have been worth it. As to the berries being 'blind sashes,' I could see that to an extent. You just can't use them for 4x weak moves too much though.

Great first 10 games, went 9-0 up to 1614 before a mamoswine crit my dhelmise with ice shard then crit my weavile with rock slide :( 9-1 at 1607 is better than i thought id start so hope i can carry on. game said it cant find me an opp so im going to bed lol
That's hilarious man, I also went 9-1 on my first day...while rockin' the Dhelmise! Did you apt for Heavy Slam or Anchor Shot? My favorite part of the tourney so far has been boppin people with stab Heavy Slams that they've totally forgotten about lol

That being said...
super nice day for me going 14-1. Dual Tailwind is so good and once i get it up I always feel in control of the game. Only lost cuz I played bad and I havent found any matchups where i felt i had to really work to win unlike last competition.
I wish I felt this way. Maybe it's just the nature of the tourney but I feel like I'm pulling these wins off the seat of my pants; one misplay or hax and you lose a mon to a SE hit. Felt way more in control during the Tiny Tourney, but glad you're doing well Mishimono !

Day 2 is over, 22-8 so far can't complain...haxed, got haxed good times. About 1660 rating right now excited for Day 3, I've finished 30-15 in all 3 Monthly Comps I've done and only need 9 wins to better that mark. Also, Breloom has been awesome good players work around it no problem, but average to bad players just let him Mach Punch them to a 4-2 lead.

Day 2 is over, 22-8 so far can't complain...haxed, got haxed good times. About 1660 rating right now excited for Day 3, I've finished 30-15 in all 3 Monthly Comps I've done and only need 9 wins to better that mark. Also, Breloom has been awesome good players work around it no problem, but average to bad players just let him Mach Punch them to a 4-2 lead.
About Breloom:
I always lead with Dactyl and Greninja, so if my opponent starts with Breloom, I've hard switched chandelure every time. I had a run of 4 in a row last night, one even threw fake out at it too. One dead Greninja became one immune ghost. Worked great with sky drops, rock slides, and of course throwing fire at Breloom....
Favorite opponents of the whole thing.

About Breloom:
I always lead with Dactyl and Greninja, so if my opponent starts with Breloom, I've hard switched chandelure every time. I had a run of 4 in a row last night, one even threw fake out at it too. One dead Greninja became one immune ghost. Worked great with sky drops, rock slides, and of course throwing fire at Breloom....
Favorite opponents of the whole thing.
Yeah everyone makes that switch i just stone edge the greninja slot and tect breloom make oppo choose between tryna sky drop breloom or set tw...than turn 2 they will rock slide with dactyl (lol) dosent ko than i stone edge the dactly in return 4-2 start.

23-7 at 1700 after day 2 which was ok and i could push for high 1700/1800... until i started my day 3 games. won my first two then lost the next 4 to rock slide flinches. down to 1650 and im not going to play the rest of my games, it takes all the fun out of it when you just win but get flinched by a rock slide or two sdef drops in a row from shadow ball. hope the next online tourney isnt as stupid as this, literally no counterplay to aero apart from 'pls dont flinch'

That's hilarious man, I also went 9-1 on my first day...while rockin' the Dhelmise! Did you apt for Heavy Slam or Anchor Shot? My favorite part of the tourney so far has been boppin people with stab Heavy Slams that they've totally forgotten about lol
I used heavy slam to get the 100% ohkos on breloom and togekiss, which i havent really regretted during my games. only situation it would have been better was when i had to get the ko on terrak, heavy slam only does 50 whereas anchor shot mostly ohkos so would have been nicer than power whip. definitely the mvp of my games, literally 2 kills every game.

23-7 at 1700 after day 2 which was ok and i could push for high 1700/1800... until i started my day 3 games. won my first two then lost the next 4 to rock slide flinches. down to 1650 and im not going to play the rest of my games, it takes all the fun out of it when you just win but get flinched by a rock slide or two sdef drops in a row from shadow ball. hope the next online tourney isnt as stupid as this, literally no counterplay to aero apart from 'pls dont flinch
Never give up haha, you got me scared though Im 22-8 heading into Day 3 and i need at least 30-15 to be happy. I hope im the haxor tonight not the haxee.

Day 3 started out depressing, lost my first 2 battles. I stopped after 10 battles.

8-2 for the day and overall 25-15.

I should be a high 1600, maybe low 1700. My last battle was a win against a 1700+ player.

Small victories.

My goal was to get out of the 1500 rating. Now it will be to never return and go for 1700.

Also, side note, 21-4 with Trick Room up.

Bruxish really has been amazing with setting up TR and stopping Fake Out, Water Shuriken, Ice Shard, and Mach Punch.

Except for that 1 Taunt Greninja.

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 6.59.01 PM.png

I finished my 35 matches for today, and around the 1820s. I don't want to risk my rating, so I'm done.

The main idea was to utilize Dancer and then Baton Pass it down to Kommo-o who could spam Clanging Scales. Unfortunately, that didn't happen often, and I didn't even use Baton Pass once during the whole tourney. ( That's not to say I regretted bringing Oricorio and Ribombee, Both proved to be quite useful. Especially Ribombee. )

QR Code: https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/rentalteam/BT-D659-4789

Battle Videos: F3MG-WWWW-WWW8-4EH7 Oricorio's usefulness
UT5G-WWWW-WWW8-4EH5 Final Battle. I actually faced this opponent before, and I got wrecked by his Crawdaunt in the first match.
EY8G-WWWW-WWW8-4EJG I actually utilized Dancer!
LL9G-WWWW-WWW8-4EJV Ribombee the MVP
5Q4G-WWWW-WWW8-4EHA Highest Rated Opponent. More I got really lucky.

Finished at 31-14 just under 1700 rating, kinda disappointing really because I was mid to high 1700 most of day 3 until dumb mistakes cost me in the last few games.
wcteam.jpeg

Last edited:
13-2 Day1
10-5 Day2
Currently 0-2 Day3
Im literaly struggling with guessing speed tiers on Togekisses. its a 50/50 whether theyre 180Timid or not.
A 50/50 i guess wrong every single time.
Also started to expect Acrobatics Greninja due to the PS ladder but have not seen any so far ingame.
Demantoid's team was an insta-loss for me as well lol.

Last edited:
upload_2017-7-30_13-27-4.png

I quite liked the team i put together in the end, brick break on ttar was a bit awkward because it missed out on loads of kos when practising, but didnt cost me any games during the tourney. In hindsight, a greninja over slowbro might have worked a bit better but as i got higher up the rankings slowbro became increasingly useful. Yache berry over occa was probs better for breloom too. i evd my ttar to live a jolly breloom mach punch 100% of the time too, which meant it couldnt always ohko latios with crunch or chand with rock slide. also didnt cost me any games but was scary at times.

13-2 Day1
10-5 Day2
Currently 0-2 Day3
Im literaly struggling with guessing speed tiers on Togekisses. its a 50/50 whether theyre 180Timid or not.
A 50/50 i guess wrong every single time.
Also started to expect Acrobatics Greninja due to the PS ladder but have not seen any so far ingame.
Demantoid's team was an insta-loss for me as well lol.
I think my daughter fasted your team. Her IGN is Jalen.

Only Breloom she or I have seen with Protect, or at least use Protect.

Her battle came down to Yanmega vs Breloom and Yanmega woke up just in time to KO for the win.

I think my daughter fasted your team. Her IGN is Jalen.
Only Breloom she or I have seen with Protect, or at least use Protect.
Her battle came down to Yanmega vs Breloom and Yanmega woke up just in time to KO for the win.
Sorry, that wasnt me. I have not seen a single Yanmega during the entire tournament.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)