Online Competition Weakness Cup [playable on Showdown!]

Man,... now I'm regretting breeding my Vespiquen without its HA. Unnerve, while situational, could be really useful given that the only non-berry item is W Policy...

Sigh. My hopes for a troll off-meta team dashed ;-;

Actually, Terracott might be pretty scary since the only Pokemon that resist Rock in this format are covered potentially by Whimsicott (Ground and Fighting), though you have to pick one if you want to fit other good support moves. A Phazer might be necessary though Haze is pretty poorly distributed here.

Unnerve is required on possibly more than one Pokemon, maybe a good Wallbreaker, and if you can manage it Pluck/Bug Bite could also be abused a bit on bulkier Pokemon.

edit: If you don't carry a good Fighting-type Tyranitar is probably going to floor you.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
This is a list of Pokemon that out speed and OHKO a full health Terrakion that has No Defensive IVs. Keep in mind that Beat Up will deal some damage to it.

Starmie (Hydro Pump, 6.3% chance with Psychic)
Sceptile (Leaf Storm, 25% chance with Energy Ball)
Latias (Psychic, 81.3% chance with Psyshock)
Latios (Psychic and Psyshock)
Weavile (6.3% Chance with Low Kick)
Serperior (Leaf Storm)
Greninja (So Many Options)
Hawlucha (High Jump Kick, 37.5% chance with Flying Press)

That looks good, but what if Whimscott uses Tailwind on turn one instead of Beat Up. If you KO it after Tailwind? Weavile can still use Beat Up...

Terracott looks stupid. Let me know if anyone has success without it.

Looking at the list makes me think that Bulky Offense or Hyper Offense will be the way to go for this one. Still, Trick Room could be an interesting option.

EDIT: why do i feel like i want to make a grass mono

Last edited:
Wow, 5 weaknesses, this means no steels around. It is also a chance to finally use ice-types to cover a grassy meta

Wow, 5 weaknesses, this means no steels around. It is also a chance to finally use ice-types to cover a grassy meta
Technically there is one Steel-type - Protean Greninja with HP Steel. Not that we are going to see that thing though.

I have my doubts on what to run on a Tyranitar.

First of all, I wanted to run Unnerve but I don't have a way to get one, so I'll have to stick with Sand Stream.

Then, there's the object - a Weakness Policy seems like overkill on Tyranitar so I was thinking of running a Dragon Dance set a la OU Mega-Tar with a Chople Berry, but without elemental punches because, well, I cannot get a Larvitar in ORAS.

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Earthquake / Stone Edge / Protect

Apart from that I'm thinking on doing a Double Dance with Ribombee and Sensu Oricorio. I liked the (admittedly) suboptimal version I used in one International Challenge. Maybe I'm keeping Baton Pass again on Oricorio, just in case.

Last edited:
I'm wondering how a Sand Team would do.

Gigalith as the sand setter and Tyranitar with Unnerve. Cacturne as a mixed sweeper, although he wouldn't get the SpDef boost, he would have a STAB Sucker Punch for Chandelure.

I'm thinking Chandelure will be the only Fire type being used. Maybe Delphox, but Sucker Punch still.

I'm definitely leaning towards using a weather team. I'd like to do Sand, but a Grass heavy META. Hail would be nice, but Chandelure sweep would be annoying. Sun is doable with Prankster Whimsicott.

I'm thinking Chandelure will be the only Fire type being used. Maybe Delphox, but Sucker Punch still.
Talking about Chandelure, with access to an earlier-gen game, it can use a fantastic move on this cup: Incinerate, as it attacks both foes and burns their berries (which is quite the interesting draw over Knock Off).

Incinerate is only available on Pokemon that were not obtained in Alola, however, as nothing learns the move by breeding (this is weird for such a simple, non-signature move that lost its TM status this generation), and those that learn Incinerate by level-up have less than 5 weaknesses or are Mythical (Victini).

*checks available locations for Litwick in Gen VI*

Oh, come on! Everything I want to use from Gen VI is not available in ORAS! >.<

Last edited:
Talking about Chandelure, with access to an earlier-gen game, it can use a fantastic move on this cup: Incinerate, as it attacks both foes and burns their berries (which is quite the interesting draw over Knock Off).

Incinerate is only available on Pokemon that were not obtained in Alola, however, as nothing learns the move by breeding (this is weird for such a simple, non-signature move that lost its TM status this generation), and those that learn Incinerate by level-up have less than 5 weaknesses or are Mythical (Victini).

You can ask someone on the trade forums.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Earthquake / Stone Edge / Protect
While I'll be doing it just for lulz, this is more or less what Tyranitar3 in the Tree is, and could prove to be utter death.

I got you if you need to breed one for this, I have mine in OR and would be able to stick whatever elemental punch you would need on it.

I did not think of Incinerate. I'm thinking Bug Bite may be a little more useful in this META. Makes a couple of Bugs a little more attractive anyway, Leavanny jumps to mind as a top user.

I think Mamoswine is a key Pokemon to watch out for. It only actually has 4 weaknesses due to Thick Fat which are Fighting, Water, Grass and Steel. Since Dhelmise (and HP Steel Greninja) are the only two Pokemon with Offensive Steel Stab you can pick your type resist berry and get down to only three super effective stabs to worry about.

I hate to transfer Terrakion, since he will only have one chance to learn Stealth Rock, and it likely won't stay for this competition. Then again, it's likely the tutors will be back in several months for Ultra Moon. He, Whimiscott, and Weavile are looking good for this competition. Now to figure out what the other 3 should be.

It's a shame that Oricorio doesn't have the same amount of Attack. Imagine a Tyranitar Dancer set.

Maybe I'll combine the Dancer set with Terra-cotta. Add Tyranitar, because I love him, and have an Unnerver. I'll probably be able to teach him Stealth Rock and the punching moves again in Ultra Moon. It's not like they share the all the same weaknesses, and it would make it harder to stop me from setting up, but it would result in mind games, which I'm NOT good at, especially in a short amount of time.

Edit: I cannot believe I randomly hatched a Timid Oricorio. I'm going to try to see if I can luck out on minimal attack to reduce the effect of non-STAB Sucker Punches.

Last edited:
I think Hawlucha can pull this tourney through. Hawlucha has an awesome ability Unburden. Unburden activates when its item is used, it gain speed. Hawlucha has an already high base speed, it can finally outspeed threats such as Weavile and Greninja (except Water Shuriken). It also has Mold Breaker it you are somehow afraid of Unnerve.

With Undurden as your ablity, the fitting move for it is Acrobatics which doubles its damage when an item is used. Hawlucha can also set up Agility for more speed or Sword Dance for more power. Another set I though about is little supportive rather than the sweeper. Hawlucha can learn Sky Drop, Me First, Encore, Quick Guard and Baton Pass. Combining the speed from the Unburden, Agility/Sword Dance, and Weakness Policy (if Hawlucha holds it), Hawlucha can pass it to a very frail pokemon such as Greninja and Brelloom and finish the game.

I think Hawlucha can pull this tourney through. Hawlucha has an awesome ability Unburden. Unburden activates when its item is used, it gain speed. Hawlucha has an already high base speed, it can finally outspeed threats such as Weavile and Greninja (except Water Shuriken). It also has Mold Breaker it you are somehow afraid of Unnerve.

With Undurden as your ablity, the fitting move for it is Acrobatics which doubles its damage when an item is used. Hawlucha can also set up Agility for more speed or Sword Dance for more power. Another set I though about is little supportive rather than the sweeper. Hawlucha can learn Sky Drop, Me First, Encore, Quick Guard and Baton Pass. Combining the speed from the Unburden, Agility/Sword Dance, and Weakness Policy (if Hawlucha holds it), Hawlucha can pass it to a very frail pokemon such as Greninja and Brelloom and finish the game.
With a Weakness Policy, I don't think Hawlucha is going to survive any attacks, given how frail it is. That being said, Hawlucha's STAB combination is great here (nothing resisting both Fighting and Flying), as well as its very high Speed due to Choice Scarf being banned.

BTW, I noticed there are no Electric-types in this cup either. So those Pokemon with Electric or Steel-type weaknesses actually have less than 5 STAB weaknesses. This also means Flying-type STAB has only one resist.

Last edited:
Given how fast the Meta is Sharpedo and Yanmega are very dangerous with Speed Boost. I've been using Yanmega on Showdown and the many dark types just aren't prepared for a fast Bug Buzz

How do you decide on which Pokémon to use your Weakness Policy on?

I'm thinking you will want something that can survive an attack, but in this META that seems that surviving an attacking may be a slim to no chance.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I base it mostly on which team member has the most resistances/immunites, makes it easier to predict when the super-effective attacks are coming. From there, focus on the bulk.

Given the self-imposed restrictions I'm putting on myself, Palossand is one of my very few realistic options..but it's not a bad choice by any means.

Just making sure you know that you can't Baton Pass the Unburden speed boost. It doesn't work like a normal speed boost. But yeah I guess you could BP the SD and WP boosts if you survive a SE hit?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)