move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Ground
item: Choice Specs
ability: Analytic
nature: Timid / Modest
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

-Fire Blast is super strong STAB. If you're lame an paronoid about missing, Flamethrower can be used at the cost of a lot of power.
-Hydro Pump is super strong STAB. Surf can be used for more accuracy but some guaranteed KOs become more questionable, such as against offensive Zygarde, Assault Vest Colossoil, and opposing Volkraken.
-Power Gem hits things like Charizard-Mega Y and hits Mollux for at least some damage.
-Hidden Power Grass hits something that reachzero wants to hit (slowbro? gastrodon?).
-Hidden Power Ground hits Mollux and friends for stuff.

Set Details
========

-252 SpA and Choice Specs maximize damage output while Analytic makes almost nothing want to switch into Volraken. Timid Nature allows it to outspeed Aurumoth while a Modest Nature allows it to hit stuff harder.

Usage Tips
========

Click STAB on predicted switch, win.

Team Options
========

Describe some teammates that would be a good idea to pair with this Pokemon.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Hydro Pump / Surf
move 3: Power Gem
move 4: U-turn
item: Choice Scarf

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

-Fire Blast is a strong STAB. If you're lame an paronoid about missing, Flamethrower can be used at the cost of a lot of power.
-Hydro Pump is a strong STAB. If you're lame an paronoid about missing, Scald can be used at the cost of a lot of power.
-Power Gem hits things like Charizard-Mega Y and hits Mollux for at least some damage.
-U-turn lets Volkraken pivot out.

Set Details
========

-Choice Scarf and 252 Spe EVs make Volkraken quite fast, allowing it to outspeed X and Y thing. 252 SpA allows Volkraken to deal notable damage to anything weak to its STABs and to wear down those that aren't. Analytic puts some pressure on the foe not to switch out recklessly. Timid Nature allows Volkraken to outspeed Mega Alakazam and +1 Aurumoth while a Modest Nature allows it to hit harder while still outspeed the vast majority of the unboosted metagame.

Usage Tips
========

Click STAB or U-turn on predicted switch, win.

Team Options
========

Describe some teammates that would be a good idea to pair with this Pokemon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

-Destiny Bond
-Memento
-Infiltrator
-Bulky Aqua Ring + Sub meme set is much more passive than normal sets but able to surprising wall a lot, but it generally outclassed by mons with more recovery.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky Waters**: Slowbro, Slowbro-M, Krilowatt, Arghonaut, and Gastrodon can usually switch into Volkraken, but need to be mindful of Choice Specs Hidden Power Grass.

**Dragons**: Goodra and Latias resist Volkraken's STABs and aren't weak to any of its common moves, but they are rather passive in the metagame by themselves. Dragonite can usually take any hit but can't switch in in fear of breaking Multiscale and because Volkraken is faster than it. Salamence will take a lot from Choice Specs STABs but if it gets in successfully it can usually force Volkraken out.

**Faster mons**: There are a few notable faster users that can outspeed Choice Scarf Volkraken, such as Choice Scarf Garchomp which usually checks Volkraken quite well. Specs sets are easier to revenge, as threats such as Statagem and Plasmanta outspeed it.

Last edited:

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
I know this is WIP and all, but I've been wanting to comment on the sets here.

name: Choice Specs
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Ground
item: Choice Specs

For at least Modest sets, Surf is sufficient for usually netting the KOes Volkraken wants with some hazard damage / Analytic factoring in, especially with Fire Blast picking up the slack. I think Timid needs Hydro Pump's extra BP to reach some OHKOes, but I've definitely enjoyed having Surf's reliability on Modest sets.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Volkraken Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 412-486 (115 - 135.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Volkraken Surf vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 337-397 (94.1 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volkraken Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 160 SpD Assault Vest Colossoil: 434-512 (106.6 - 125.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volkraken Surf vs. 0 HP / 160 SpD Assault Vest Colossoil: 356-422 (87.4 - 103.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Volkraken Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 451-532 (125.9 - 148.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Volkraken Surf vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 370-436 (103.3 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Volkraken Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Volkraken: 394-465 (115.2 - 135.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Volkraken Surf vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Volkraken: 322-381 (94.1 - 111.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Hidden Power Grass is actually very relevant now that Arghonaut is appearing more often, as Choice Specs HP Grass can usually 2HKO it with an analytic hit (idk how much SpD Argho runs but nonetheless HP Grass does a sizeable chunk). I think U-turn should also get a mention on the set too if you'd rather just take care of random bulky Water-types with a teammate instead.

name: Choice Scarf
move 4: U-turn
item: Choice Scarf

I also like Surf on scarf sets. While Hydro Pump hits harder, Surf can get the job done too and you just don't have to worry about missing.

252 SpA Volkraken Surf vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Cawmodore: 192-226 (79.3 - 93.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Volkraken Surf vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 366-432 (114.7 - 135.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Analytic Volkraken Surf vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 205-243 (57.2 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Volkraken Surf vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 159-187 (44.4 - 52.2%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO (means Zygarde can't swap in, even with Surf)

Modest shouldn't get a slash since it's kind of pathetic that you can't even RK Mega Alakazam with it.

---

Calcs aside for both sets, Surf's 24 PP helps Volkraken out in case Hydro Pump's PP gets stalled out somehow (kinda like how Mega Charizard Y is opting for Flamethrower a decent amount of the time now). Scald is just too weak to work well, and the burn nerf makes it less worth running (not useless though). Fire Blast acts very well as a powerful STAB, and then Surf lets you just have a reliable STAB to use when you need to hit hard with Volk but don't want to miss. Of course Hydro Pump is more powerful, so it gets first slash on both sets, but I'd love to see Surf as secondary slash.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm a bit confused since most of the calcs you brought in support of surf still show hydro being the better choice. Extra PP is nice, but maybe to me extra PP is more of a set comments thing than a slash. I'll test it some more though, so thanks for the comments.

In regards to scarf, Mega Alakazam is not nearly common enough to make Modest completely unviable.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
I'm a bit confused since most of the calcs you brought in support of surf still show hydro being the better choice. Extra PP is nice, but maybe to me extra PP is more of a set comments thing than a slash. I'll test it some more though, so thanks for the comments.

In regards to scarf, Mega Alakazam is not nearly common enough to make Modest completely unviable.
True, I've shown that Hydro is the better choice, but that's why I recommend Surf to be slashed after it. Instead, I showed how Surf can basically net most of the KOes Hydro can, just with a little bit of hazard chip (AV Colo runs spin so that chip damage is super easy to get). I've found it reassuring on super offensive teams that I can safely nuke something without having to worry about missing, or clean up a few mons just clicking Surf and not having to worry about 80% accuracy kicking me.

Unfortunately, I don't have any replays of me actually doing this, but I'm always happy to throw a team together and surf stuff to death :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)