Video Game Music

The Zelda of Ocarina load screen theme is so nostalgic and so good. It really takes me back to when I was a kid watching my dad playthrough the games.

I've been amassing a list of video game musics for the past couple of years, and it recently hit 600 so I guess to "celebrate" I could put some of my highlights here. Hopefully you find some songs you've never heard before

Sylvalum (night) - Xenoblade Chronicles X
Joy of Remembrance - Celeste Farewell
The Day the Wind Blew - Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
Reinhold Manor - Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Frozen Grotto (Peaceful) [Oboe Version] - Crypt of the Necrodancer: Cadence of Hyrule
Drippy - Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White Witch
HAHA jokes on you this got deleted from youtube because technically studio ghibli owns it HAHAHA GET PRANKED
Relic Song - Pokemon Black and White
Manoria Cathedral - Chrono Trigger
Rynoka Village - Moonlighter
Golem King - Moonlighter
Dreams of Adventures - Moonlighter
Moonlighter Trailer (Pablo Caballero) - Moonlighter
The Moonlighter - Moonlighter
Beyond the Gates - Moonlighter
Macadamia Mayhem - Moonlighter
Train Wreck, Electro Swing - Hat in Time
Spring (It's a big world outside) - Stardew Valley
Mantis Lords - Hollow Knight
Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark - Ori and the Blind Forest
Walking With You - Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Inner Light - Destiny 2
Main Theme - Octopath Traveler
Battle 06 - Project Triangle Strategy
Magus Theme - Chrono Trigger
On the Beach of Dreams, Another World - Chrono Cross
Vector to the Heavens - Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5
Mora the Spider - Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Mirror Temple (Mirror Magic Mix) B-side - Celeste B-sides

I tried to avoid putting multiple songs from the same series but of course it's hard to avoid the literal GREATEST SOUNDTRACK OF ALL TIME a.k.a. Moonlighter (and no i've never played the game so it's not nostalgic). I tried to also add some that most here probably have never heard.

I'm currently in an on-and-off process of transferring the entire list over to youtube, so if I ever get that done i'll post it here. I was about 150 videos in when nintendo did their "big culling" and i had to track down and replace all of the 70+ deleted videos in the correct order.

Last edited:

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Posting some jazzy and Drum n Bass late 90s/early 00s vibes

Gonna list my favorite franchises in terms of music and post them here.

Undertale:
  • MEGALOVANIA
  • Hopes and Dreams
  • The Song that's Supposed to play when you fight Sans
  • Spear of Justice
Friday Night Funkin':
  • M.I.L.F
  • Fresh
  • Ugh!
Pokémon:
  • vs. Terrakion, Cobalion and Virizion - ORAS
  • vs. Reshiram and Zekrom - ORAS
  • Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 menu
  • Champion Iris theme
  • Champion Cynthia theme
Celeste:
  • First Steps
  • Reach for the Summits
Zelda:
  • Gerudo Valley
  • Kass's Theme
  • Midna's Lament
  • Zelda BotW BGM 2017 Music
Minecraft:
  • Glide
  • Pigstep
Other Franchises:
  • Jump up Superstar! (Mario Odyssey)
  • Fist Bump (Sonic Forces)
  • Lifelight (Super Smash Bros.)
  • Smash Bros Brawl main theme
  • Training (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
  • Choose your Character (Super Smash Bros. Melee)
  • Waluigi Pinball (Mario Kart)

bruno

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
i've been streaming on twitch for a while now and because of copyright stuff i started only listening to video game music while i played. i've probably listened to around 40 to 50 different game ost's now but i also used this thread and found a lot of songs i loved a lot, so feel the need to share my own contribution of some of my favorites i've found/already loved. i doubt anyone's gonna listen to these but in case someone else feels the need for video game music you won't regret it. btw mario paper thousand year door has the best ost there is alongside nier( and this vid
)

apex beat - transistor
wretched weaponry- nier automata(medium/dynamic)
gusty garden galaxy - super mario galaxy
wind scene - chrono trigger
soaring mirages - pokemon black/white 2
in a snow-bound land- dk country 2
lonely rolling star - katamari damacy
mirror temple-celeste
looming crisis- final fantasy tactics a2
life stream - final fantasy vii
fatalize- tales of symphonia
magnus von grapple - paper mario ttyd
phendrana drifts - metroid prime
aurora area- kirby's return to dream land
home galdove - chrono cross
gateway colosseum - pokemon battle revolution
no more what if's - persona 5 royal
8 pm (normal) - animal crossing
phenac city - pokemon colosseum
meathcook - doom
summer game fest trailer song - sable(shoutout roro)
abyssal badlands - pokemon super mystery dungeon
beautiful lie - danganronpa 3
rainbow road- mario kart double dash
over shiver mountain - paper mario
the long road - fire emblem three houses
midna's lament - zelda twilight princess
forest temple - zelda ocarina of time
medli's awakening - zelda winder waker
gehrman, the first hunter - bloodborne

i've been streaming on twitch for a while now and because of copyright stuff i started only listening to video game music while i played. i've probably listened to around 40 to 50 different game ost's now but i also used this thread and found a lot of songs i loved a lot, so feel the need to share my own contribution of some of my favorites i've found/already loved. i doubt anyone's gonna listen to these but in case someone else feels the need for video game music you won't regret it. btw mario paper thousand year door has the best ost there is alongside nier( and this vid
)

apex beat - transistor
wretched weaponry- nier automata(medium/dynamic)
gusty garden galaxy - super mario galaxy
wind scene - chrono trigger
soaring mirages - pokemon black/white 2
in a snow-bound land- dk country 2
lonely rolling star - katamari damacy
mirror temple-celeste
looming crisis- final fantasy tactics a2
life stream - final fantasy vii
fatalize- tales of symphonia
magnus von grapple - paper mario ttyd
phendrana drifts - metroid prime
aurora area- kirby's return to dream land
home galdove - chrono cross
gateway colosseum - pokemon battle revolution
no more what if's - persona 5 royal
8 pm (normal) - animal crossing
phenac city - pokemon colosseum
meathcook - doom
summer game fest trailer song - sable(shoutout roro)
abyssal badlands - pokemon super mystery dungeon
beautiful lie - danganronpa 3
rainbow road- mario kart double dash
over shiver mountain - paper mario
the long road - fire emblem three houses
midna's lament - zelda twilight princess
forest temple - zelda ocarina of time
medli's awakening - zelda winder waker
gehrman, the first hunter - bloodborne
Thanks for this, I was looking for new osts to listen to so I'll check out some of these games who's osts I haven't listened to yet (Danganronpa, katamari, fftactcs, pbr and colosseum)

that being said, are you talking about mirror temple or mirror temple (Mirror Magic Mix)? Mirror Magic Mix is the SWEET Jazzy one and Mirror temple is the more normal, creepy one. If you haven't checked out Jazzy Depression Incarnate then I suggest you do.

Alright, now I can put stuff now that I'm on PC since I said I'd do it now that bruno gave me my kick with his post (thanks again, hopefully, this post gives you more to listen to since you use this thread to find good stuff). No repeats obviously and I'll make sure to link every song. I'll also split it into relaxing and tense music so you can pick whatever you want for the specific time.

Relaxing:
Mechonis Field - XB 1: (area name is a spoiler in itself so proceed with caution) 1st word has the original track, 2nd has the remastered one. Both are great, prefer the DE version but some of the songs can be quite divisive in terms of if the original or DE version is better so better to give options. Would give a description for why I like it like I do for all the songs I post here, but it'd spoil what the area is.

Life in the Mines - DKC 1 ("Life in" has the restored version by Sim Miller while "the Mines" has the original; I like the restored much more but options are nice): Aquatic Ambience is my favorite track but imo that one has been talked about a ton so wanted to give this one a mention since it's pretty underrated and is one of my favorite songs from the OST.

Deep Sea of Mare - Mario Sunshine: Sunshine's OST, in general, isn't my absolute favorite for the most part (not a ton of super catchy or memorable songs for me) but this song's amazing and one of my favorites from the 3D Mario games. Kind of similar to Aquatic Ambiance in giving a relaxing feeling. Always a highlight of the playthrough despite collecting the red coins sucking hard in this mission.

Octavius Puzzle 1 - Spiderman PS4: Haven't seen Spiderman PS4 get a lot of praise for the OST on here from anyone else but this song is a good song to just get to work with (listened to it while working on my final presentation for a Summer class). Not like super earwormy but not all songs need to be imo.

Forest of Illusion - Chrono Cross: I've never played Chrono Cross (or Trigger, which I should really get on), but this song was one of my favorites when listening to its OST. Has a good aura of mystery and wonder.

Mabe Village - Links Awakening (1st word is the original, 2nd word is the remake; I like the original more but that's cause I'm a big chiptune purist so make of that what you will): This is such a warm song to hear in the beginning of the game and fits so well for this being a small island with only a few inhabitants in a dream. I like the original more since the remake sounds less distinct, more toy-like or plasticy (probs just the purist in me).

Leftherian Archipelago - XB 2: This song gives me major Eryth Sea vibes but really does its own thing with it, being more fantasy and adventure-like while still being relaxing and fitting the cloudy setting. Probably my favorite area theme after Fonsa Myma Night (talked about it before but here's the link anyway).

Secret of the Forest - Chrono Trigger: Just cause I haven't played the Chrono games doesn't mean I haven't listened to and admired their OSTs so here we go. Really mysterious one that fits the game's story progression well (I watched Chuggaaconroy's LP of the game) while not being super overbearing in its mysticism.

Lake Kingdom Underwater - Mario Oddysey: One of the more overlooked tracks in comparison to the more flashy bangers like Wooded Kingdom, New Donk City, and of course, Jump Up Superstars. I really relaxing melody that gives similar vibes to Lake of Mare from Mario Sunshine.

Forest Interlude - DKC 2 (1st word is the restored version while the 2nd is the original track. I like the restored version more personally but your call). More relaxing and less so mysterious compared to Secret of the Forest, gives a better essence of nature with the background noises.

Dragonspiral Tower - Pokemon BW: The team this area is named after may be loud but the music of the area is superb. Very mysterious and imposing, which is fitting for a post-game area where you can find powerful Pokemon like Dragonite and Zekrom and such. I'd give Pokeremixstudio's remix of it a listen too, it's a really cool take on it.

Hall of the Thousand Year Door - TTYD: I was a doofus and forgot to link it in my last post despite recommending it so here you go bruno. Underrated as hell track from a super solid OST, really gives a good impression of how unknown and scary the door and the area it occupies really is while making you curious since the music is so different compared to everywhere else, where it's pretty cheery for the most part (even the sad music is kinda twinkly in a way).

Overthere Shrine - Super Paper Mario: Probably my favorite song from the OST and a really peaceful and angelic one, especially for what happens in the story there. The first 2 games have better OSTs on the whole, but Super's OST is slept on, as is the game in general.

Abandoned Ship - ADV: This is my favorite track from the ADV games. It gives this ship an even more different identity from the SS Anne and gives a sad yet nautical feeling that makes you want to explore the area and find out more about what happened to it. Pokeremixstudios had a bit of a different take on the track with their remix of it, which is more calm and soothing (I like both about equally).

Route 216 - DPP: Continues the trend of snow areas having amazing music but fucking atrocious gameplay gimmicks. Route 216 is a really relaxing song and a track I spent a while looking for before getting to play Platinum myself since blunder used to put that remix of it in a lot of his videos. The remix is by Pokeremixstudios, which you can find here, and goes for a more chill or jazzy type of vibe compared to the original piece. (last time I mention and put his remixes, I promise.)

Action-Packed:
Final Battle Music - Pokemon Colosseum: Has so much tension and finality while having variety in instrumentation, unlike the fight right before which is more or less just background noise. Even though I'd rather the fight before be the actual final boss for story reasons.

Scrap Brain Zone - Sonic 1 (original): Has that Genesis twang charm while really being unlike anything you hear in the game, really helps the area stick out even more.

Multi-Man Melee 2 - Smash Melee: This song always hypes me up whenever it appears. Was the perfect song for Event 51, was meant to be the ultimate challenge so the ultimate song had to play for it and it kept me going even when I kept losing the challenge when I was younger. Multi-Man Melee 1 is also fucking awesome btw, just have more sedimental attachment to this one.

Bomb Man - Mega Man 1: Cutman is much more iconic a track but this one always stuck out to me the most cause it's decently relaxing but still catchy for a Mega Man game (also cause I always go for Bomb Man first in a playthrough lol).

Prologue - Super Metroid: Bruno already mentioned Phendrana Drifts, which is my favorite track from the Prime games, so I'll give love to my favorite from the 2D games. This track gets you pumped for the memorable adventure you're about to embark on, enhanced by the small blurb of story before you start to play.

Gourmet Race - Kirby (1st word is to the original track from Superstar, the 2nd is a link to the Smash 64 remix that's been in every smash game since. I like the Smash remix more but options are fun): Really pumps you up for a quick challenge that requires fast reflexes yet still light-hearted and fun.

Fight Against an Armed Boss - Mario RPG: I always associated this song with the Axem Rangers despite it being the main boss theme because that fight alongside the Crystal King Boss were what got me into Chuggaaconroy, whose videos were a major source of enjoyment throughout my life and got me through some tough stuff. Still a solid track when having the nostalgia goggles ripped off though.

Storm Eagle - Mega Man X: Likely one of the later stages you play cause of boss order, but a real thriller, really old-timey rock that keeps you on your toes and has some subtle touches to make it sound more action-movie like.

King of the Koopas - Paper Mario 64: This is my favorite final boss music from any Mario RPG (even more than In the Final or Dream's End). It's so epic and tense yet gives you so much energy to take down Bowser at his most powerful after Peach gives you Peach Beam to break the Star Rod.

Bowser Castle - Superstar Saga (1st word is the original, 2nd is the remake. I prefer the original since I don't think the remake's instruments have as much impact): The climb up to Bowletta is so tense and somewhat emotional, probably the best Bowser Castle music to date tbh.

Gaur Plain - XB 1 (1st word is the original, 2nd is the remake. The remake is pretty much superior with no questions for me): Amazing way to really open up the game after you truly set out on your adventure. Sets such an amazing impression and makes exploring the area a blast since it's all new to you since Colony 9 and Tephra Cave were pretty linear and had less bombastic area music (outside Colony 9 is the exception).

Aquarium Park Act 1 - Sonic Colors: A totally different take on a water level for music, really upbeat and techno-y. Really nice change of pace for the expected water level music.

Hope whoever sees this enjoys the songs I linked or even what I put about them. Really enjoyed making this post and hearing these tracks again.
Not to spam post but this is a fricking gold mine. I know these are some good quality selections because I've personally listened to about 1/3 of these songs and love em. Personally love the inclusion of Pokeremixstudio's Abandoned Ship since I love it (actually found it through BKC's videos lol). Also I personally prefer the original gaur plains as I think the inclusion of the tremolo on the held notes takes away from it.

Looking at your list of selections one song I think you would personally love is the Smash version of Pedal Glider (link). Has the same chill vibes as your other songs in the chill section but also some nice jazz.

On a different note, seeing as this thread is getting more traffic, I'd like to ask a favor. The song found at 1:25:26 in this video (frozen grotto (peaceful) [oboe version] from Crypt of the Necrodancer: Cadence of Hyrule) used to have a video up on youtube that has now disappeared. I looked for about 10 minutes but I was unable to find it as a lone video. If someone were to find it and link it, or even post it as a video, I would be really grateful. Thanks :)

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ahh been a while since I've posted here

No More Heroes 2 - Twin Electromagic (vs New Destroyman): Almost forgot this song existed lol, it's some fantastic garage rock grooves, not much to say here.

No More Heroes 2 - Subata.1 (vs Alice Twilight): Another great NMH cut, this one fits pretty well with the other songs I'm gonna post. The percussion on this is just...insane LOL

Dodonpachi Saidaioujou - Ran (Stage 1): Been checking out some bullet hell OSTs lately, and Saidaioujou has stood out to me since it's some pretty great EDM, primarily Trance, which Manabu Namiki hasn't really done? At least not to this extent. The entire OST is worth listening to, but this is probably still my favorite, the drop absolutely bangs...

Dodonpachi Saidaioujou - Tenshi (True Final Boss): ...this song, on the other hand, is just some absolutely bonkers Breakcore. Wtf am I supposed to say to this? Also Inbachi, one of the bosses that uses this theme, should probably hold the title of hardest video game boss ever since it has never been confirmed that someone has beaten it legitimately. So this song seems just about right.

Dodonpachi Saidaioujou Arrange - Niji (Stage 2): And if that wasn't enough, Saidaioujou also got a ridiculous remix OST. It's mostly Electronic Rock fused with Hardcore Techno with a bit of Breakcore, Drum n Bass, Dubstep, Trance...basically everything EDM lol. Highly recommend you check it out if you don't mind really hectic EDM (Stage 5 is also a big fav)

Ketsui - No Remorse (True Final Boss): Another OST by Manabu Namiki! This OST is mostly Drum n Bass and Breakbeat and yeah...that's definitely what's going on in this song. It's a lot more comprehensible than Tenshi, and I love the 2nd half which reprises that game's title theme.

Das Geheimnis der Happy Hippo-Insel - Stage 2 and 6: Will take any opportunity I can to post the most bonkers chiptune song I've ever heard, and from probably the most unassuming place ever. Trust me, this isn't a meme, this song in insane

Ottifanten - Underground: Also by Stello Doussis, composer of Happy Hippo. This song is...is this what Post-Chiptune or Experimental Chiptune would sound like lol?

Valkyrie Profile - Unfinished Battle with God Syndrome (Battle Theme): Guess I'll wrap up this post with a classic, been really meaning to play this game. Man, why is Motoi Sakuraba so good?

Deleted User 465389

Banned deucer.
we are missing xenoblade 2, I am sorely disappointed
extremely late reply but here’s some xenoblade 2;

…there’s probably more music i can put here, but that would just be the entire ost honestly

I don't know if anyone knows this game: PokéMon Battle Revolution - Neon Colosseum

It revs me up, everytime I hear it.

Woooooooooosh
I love this soundtrack. It's my favorite Colosseum soundtrack and probably my favorite soundtrack from Pokemon Battle Revolution in general. I used to listen to it a lot several years ago when I was more into Pokemon Battle Revolution.

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
this thread has a notable absence of kof and snk as a whole, as well as no tekken mentions, lets change that.

goodbye esaka - kof 2000: this is my favorite kyo theme, obviously esaka from 96 is the most well known and thats a damn good song but snk put their all in this one imo, especially considering snk was going bankrupt at this time. this song appeared in kof13 and then appeared once more in kyo's kof15 trailer which was pretty fire.

kd-0079 - kof 99: k' is an extremely cool character, being the new protagonist for the series at this point, he needed to do a lot to compete with kyo, and having a badass design, moveset, and song only bolsters his image and made him one of the series favorites. this song got remixed in 2002um and xiv and those versions are also great as well.

antimony mutually exclusive dichotomy - kof 2002um: i always found the kyo clones interesting since their movesets are based off kyos movesets from previous games, but somehow the team of kyo clones have one of the best songs from the kof game with arguably the strongest soundtrack. also this song is a vibe over grumble volcano god bless brstm mods.

saxophone under the moon - kof 14: its motherfucking iori, one of the most well known and renowned characters of the entire series. his themes often incorporate a saxophone or jazz of some kind and his song from kof14 is probably the best, this song is just iori at his finest, not to mention mature and vice are also here somehow, but theyre hot as shit so who can care.

the second joker - kof13: ash crimson has always been a conflicting character be it with his actions in the story or his design in general, but one thing that everyone can agree on is that his songs are great, particularly i think this is the best ash theme, especially once its around a minute in and all the instruments kick in, that part is just so good.

queen - kof11: kof11 is hardly talked about compared to other titles, which is quite a shame since the game shook up kof quite a bit with the teams, shattering our expectations long before kof15 would do the same. for whatever reason team japan mainstay benimaru is teaming with duolon and the new girl elisabeth? im a big fan of this.

soy sauce for geese - fatal fury special: geese howard is a legendary character, being one of the forces for what people would dub as snk boss syndrome, hes a truly formidable foe, and has made many appearances throughout snk properties, with many many remixes of his most iconic song. the kof14 and tekken7 remixes in particular stand out.

heat haze shadow - tekken 7: i was supposed to talk mainly on snk and kof, i know geese is in tekken but w/e who cares. i also saw no mentions of any tekken song in this thread so might as well preach. tekken, just like kof, was reintroduced into the limelight by smash, and this song was added to smash, though it was oddly looped, a slight bummer since this song is actually so fire.

moonlit wilderness - tekken 5: i didnt play tekken much as a kid, but id always play on this one whenever i did. this stage is badass, the song is badass, theres no walls, this stage was just perfect, especially in some of the arcade mode fights.

lastly, i would preach on about our lord and saviour zun, but i think i saw a few touhou songs here in this thread and honestly, a touhou music thread could be made on its own, just with the whole fan and dojin culture around touhou and the uncountable remixes of the touhou songs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)