Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch

I wanted to make a team that focuses solely on abusing chlorophyll, rather than just using the sun to boost attacking power. This is a straightforward goal, so a good deal of the team was pretty much decided from the start.

Options for abusers appear somewhat varied, but there are only a select few that aren't absolute garbage even with the boost. Aside from Venusaur and Victreebel, Leafeon and Shiftry are the only chlorophyll abusers with stats close enough to being workable.

I chose Venusaur for its semblance of bulk and non-miniscule special attack stat, and Victreebel for it's 105 attack stat and secondary STAB. One special attacker, one physical.

Next I needed two setters. Relying on Venusaur and Victreebel to do anything useful outside of sun is a tall order, so I had to have backup.

Torkoal is everything one could ask for in a sun setter: it's bulky, sets rocks, and removes hazards. This boi is fat, too. For a second setter, I had the pick of either Ninetails or Charizard Mega-Y.

252 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 204-240 (59.4 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Torkoal in Sun: 302-356 (88 - 103.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

What was the team weak to at this point? Landorus-t, Greninja, Alakazam, Garchomp, Toxapex, Mega Lati@s, Medicham, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Volcarona, Kyurem-B, Zapdos, Diancie, Lopunny... etc.

There were too many holes to patch up. This is an offense team anyway, so we can get away with having no switchins to anything. However, I found a nice solution to a good deal of the team's problems in Assault Vest Tyrannitar. This mon not only eases matchups against psychic and fire types significantly, it also gives me a third way to disrupt opposing weather. Having three weather setters makes the rain matchup very good for this team. And with rain as common as it is on the ladder, this comes into play all the time.

Finally, I needed insurance against runaway threats, a koko switchin (I know we said no switchins but koko teams just win otherwise), and a second spinner. Having a backup spinner with a choice scarf on is essential for a team relying on Torkoal and Char-Y to pave the way to victory. I gave Excadrill Sand Rush with it's scarf. I don't need to hit Rotom because everyone else on the team does, and sand rush allows me to sac TTar against a threat with multiple speed boosts, feeling pretty secure that the foe isn't topping the 900-odd speed Exca has in sand.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam
- Dragon Pulse

This is a standard Char-Y. I have dragon pulse for garchomp and lati@s. Losing roost is no loss because this team isn't meant to stick around. Getting off damage is almost always the right play.

Venusaur @ Mago Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Earthquake

This Venusaur runs dual stabs and HP Fire. You can choose to be able to hit Ferrothorn + Celesteela or Heatran + AV MAge. The Mago berry is very nice because it lets you set up in the face of mons that can't OHKO you but would otherwise put you in range of priority. Then +2 giga drain will heal you back up every time you hit, granting slightly more longevity.

Victreebel @ Life Orb / Darkinium-Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Power Whip
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off

Victreebel is also running dual stabs. Knock Off is it's best only coverage option. I opted for an adamant nature because it needs the boost in order to make Power Whip as devestating as it is. I played with dark-z for a bit to try to get +2 'nukes' off on steels, but it doesn't OHKO anything anyway, so I figured I'd rather hit everyone else harder and rely on all my fire to deal with steels.

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

Max defense Torkoal sets rocks on all of the ground types. It also switches into kartana comfortably, which is nice. Self explanatory set. I lead with torkoal 99% of the time. You outslow other weather, you get your 8 turns of sun right up, and can always just switch out if you think you don't wanna lose it yet.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Choice Scarf Sand Rush Excadrill. Explained above, but Mold Breaker isn't needed cause everyone else hits Rotom, and Sand Rush is situationally useful to outspeed threats with multiple boosts. Rapid Spin is for suicide removal to let charizard in again.

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch

The speed is for some Mawile set and Uxie. Max attack is for getting off damage as fast as possible. Fire Punch hits Ferrothorn which people seemed to be using as a switchin to ttar a lot.

The team rewards prediction and good reads. Which is a pretentious way of saying it doesn't have answers to a lot of things so you need to take a lot of risks lol.
I'm open to any and all changes to this team as long as the core concept of chlorophyll abuse remains intact. 2 abusers.

Replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-944692451

TTar removes Mega Latias so Venusaur can sweep. Don't know what he was doing with Bulu but that thing is 0 threat to the team.
Even paralyzed, Venu was able to pull it out with it's OK bulk and OK power. lol.
___

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-944696679

A nice fast game. The immediate pressure sun boosted Venu puts on the team forces him to throw out his Lati early. Victreebel's crit on Kyub is not relevant as we're Adamant. With Lando and the dragons gone, it's an easy scarf Exca sweep.

___

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-944699151

KARTANA IS MY BITCH lol jk but it can't do anything to Torkoal it's great. Specs Hydrei and dry skin Croak are not good picks but hey I'm also running garbage.
Venusaur uses it's bulk and Mago berry to pull out a growth sweep.​

Last edited:
Dragon Pulse on Charizard is simply not good. Garchomp is already hit really hard by Solar Beam and Fire Blast, and also lacks reliable recovery, so it's easy to wear down.

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp in Sun: 179-211 (50.1 - 59.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 174-205 (48.7 - 57.4%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 246-290 (68.9 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Meanwhile, Mega Latias is so bulky that it doesn't really care about Dragon Pulse, and can stall you out and set up with Recover and Calm Mind.

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Latias-Mega: 152-180 (41.7 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Dragon Pulse vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Latias-Mega: 102-122 (28 - 33.5%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO

This leaves Mega Latios and Mega Charizard X as the only things Dragon Pulse is actually good for.

I would replace Dragon Pulse with Roost, which is much more consistently useful.

Dragon Pulse on Charizard is simply not good. Garchomp is already hit really hard by Solar Beam and Fire Blast, and also lacks reliable recovery, so it's easy to wear down.

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp in Sun: 179-211 (50.1 - 59.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 174-205 (48.7 - 57.4%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 246-290 (68.9 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Meanwhile, Mega Latias is so bulky that it doesn't really care about Dragon Pulse, and can stall you out and set up with Recover and Calm Mind.

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Latias-Mega: 152-180 (41.7 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Dragon Pulse vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Latias-Mega: 102-122 (28 - 33.5%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO

This leaves Mega Latios and Mega Charizard X as the only things Dragon Pulse is actually good for.

I would replace Dragon Pulse with Roost, which is much more consistently useful.
I appreicate the advice, and I agree dragon pulse is not a great move, but it does hit the mentioned targets for a good 20-30% more, which is meaningful damage on such an offensive team. Additionally, it gives me an accurate move that doesn't rely on sun for KOing very weak mons.

I simply never find myself wanting to click roost, because this team lacks the longevity to make it worth trying to keep my HP up. It's basically always a better idea to get off big damage on whoever switches in. A typical game with this team is about 20 turns. Dragon pulse is a more useful filler on this team than roost.

I appreicate the advice, and I agree dragon pulse is not a great move, but it does hit the mentioned targets for a good 20-30% more, which is meaningful damage on such an offensive team. Additionally, it gives me an accurate move that doesn't rely on sun for KOing very weak mons.

I simply never find myself wanting to click roost, because this team lacks the longevity to make it worth trying to keep my HP up. It's basically always a better idea to get off big damage on whoever switches in. A typical game with this team is about 20 turns. Dragon pulse is a more useful filler on this team than roost.
Something I forgot about Mega Lati@s: you have Tyranitar.

And if not Roost, maybe Defog? Lets you remove rocks if you switch in as they rock, and helps you hit Fire Blasts and Focus Blasts.

Something I forgot about Mega Lati@s: you have Tyranitar.

And if not Roost, maybe Defog? Lets you remove rocks if you switch in as they rock, and helps you hit Fire Blasts and Focus Blasts.
Defog is cool yea. Lando often rocks as zard comes in so the removal can be useful as lando is forced out, i'll try it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)