VGC 2016 Analysis Discussion Thread

This thread will be primarily for discussion of making a change to an uploaded analysis, making a case for a Pokemon to have an analysis, and possibly giving a Pokemon a revamp. You may also ask questions about analysis here. This may include the following:
  • Possibly adding or updating a set
  • Changing or adding slashes to moves
  • Revamping an analysis to fit the metagame more
As long as what you're going to say entails something about the analysis themselves, you should probably post here!

When making a case for a Pokemon that's not listed in the reservations thread, make sure that it's: a) not horrible; b) isn't actually outclassed c) actually has a decent enough use. There will be times that we miss on a Pokemon in the reservations thread. If you think a Pokemon is worth it, post here! But make sure to have some backing to your claims.

Note: This is not the thread for reserving analyses! Go to this thread instead. Also, talks about analyses still being written up should go to their respective threads (If you're making a suggestion to Kangaskhan and it's still being written up, post in its thread)!

The list for other analyses could include some of these rather niche yet useful mons. First however we might have to see more usage out of some of these as they are pretty much either "sort of uncommon" or "rare/neverused".
  • Sableye gets Will-o-wisp and Quash to distinguish itself from all other pranksters, as Will-o-wisp is shared with nothing and Quash is shared with only Murkrow. Will-o-wisp is pretty useful for nerfing Kangaskhan/Yveltal (those are biggest imo but there are others) and making it easier to take Dragon Ascent from Rayquaza, while Quash lets you control turn order to the best of your ability, which can be pretty fun to use.
  • Porygon2 is pretty average bulk-wise compared to other TR setters in VGC '16, but it has a pretty good damage output that can be further increased by its ability Download, not to mention its pretty cool offensive movepool. It also gets some pretty good support moves and has access to the best form of recovery in the game in Recover rather than Cresselia's Moonlight.
  • Zekrom maybe? Just an idea, but Bolt Strike coming from that monstrous attack stat has to be hitting pretty hard against things like Primal Kyogre, and it can OHKO Rayquaza with Dragon Claw assuming it doesn't get OHKO'd first. It is also another physically based Uber so it can deal heavy damage to Xerneas, again assuming it doesn't get hit first.
  • Gyarados brings Intimidate to the table as well as bulky Taunt/Thunder Wave and can OHKO Primal Groudon with a little bit of investment (assuming Strong Winds is brought to the table; if Primordial Sea enters the field, you won't need investment to OHKO Primal Groudon). It also has some useful coverage like Stone Edge too I guess.
  • Greninja might be worth something what with all the Kangaskhan/Rayquaza/Primals/Xerneas floating around due to its unique coverage and fantastic ability, but the frailty and lack of power behind its punch makes it pretty lacking overall.
  • Latios isn't dealing much damage to some things, but it can chunk quite a few others. It also has some rather okay supportive moves.
  • Terrakion could potentially be useful enough since it has access to things like Quick Guard, Taunt, Helping Hand, etc while also outspeeding and OHKOing Mega Kangaskhan with Close Combat and hitting Ho-oh hard with Stone Edge (not sure if it KOs though).
  • Lucario is sort of useful in its Mega form thanks to it hitting Kangaskhan and Xerneas fast and hard, and can run a few options for its coverage slot, like Stone Edge to hit Ho-oh or Substitute to let it take another hit when it gets a chance, or even a supportive option like Quick Guard or Follow Me.
  • As there is a "Don't use Hitmonchan" RU analysis, we could probably do something similar with a "Don't use Golduck" analysis since it sucks and people still use it a lot. I guess there really isn't much of a purpose other than stopping people from using it in this format since there isn't anything like VGC UU where Golduck could be but isn't.
Some of these I don't expect to get analyses, but some I feel definitely deserve an analysis like Sableye. Again, these are suggested low priority mons, not "goodmons" but "average/badmons".

Last edited:
Hey I was wondering if the VGC QC team had a list of allowed Checks and Counters tags?

For reference this is what it is for Doubles: http://prntscr.com/9sf872
It can found on this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/required-reading-doubles-c-c-guide.3557352/

I noticed a lot of VGC analyses had tags for specific pokemon, which is not allowed in Doubles, so it would be good to know all the differences.
We do not have any specific tags atm, I'll talk with some other QC people to hear if they think we need some.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Someone pointed out that the salamence spread we have uploaded is really bad (4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe). What's a good spread now? I realise the analysis lists several variations but most people are just going to copy whatever's in the given set.

Snore is awful please remove it from OO. Substitute is much better.
Fire blast might also be worth a mention for teams that lack a good way to hit ferrothorn.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)