VGC '16 Roles Compendium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inspired by the Doubles OU Roles Compendium, approved by Ksh13
This compendium will contain typical roles that should be filled by any successful VGC team, which I thought should be useful if you're using the frameworks thread to build teams or just stuck with ideas for roles on your own teams, and so on. So under each role there will be a number of mons that should satisfy it. This be sorted into restricted mons, as well as (for the most part) solid and shaky mons that fulfill the listed role. Feel free to post about mons that I have missed out or got wrong, and I'll sort it out into the correct category based on your post. These lists will strictly be for mons in the viability rankings and roughly in viability order, so feel free to comment on this aspect, although discussion on individual pokemon viability belongs in the viability rankings or SQSA thread.

Crucial Roles
At least one Pokemon from each of these should be on each VGC team so that you have a decent chance of winning against any archetype. If a team contains no Pokemon from the "Solid" section, the team is likely weak to the specified threat. However, these roles are more a guide than a framework - i.e there are still many ways to fulfill all these roles that would result in a bad or unbalanced team.

Primal Groudon Checks:
Restricted mons:
Solid:

Shaky:

Non-restricted mons:
Solid:

Shaky:

(with HP water/Water Move - paired with rayquaza/kyogre)

Primal Kyogre Checks:
Restricted mons:
Solid:

Shaky:

Non-restricted mons:
Solid:

Shaky:

Xerneas Checks:
Restricted mons:
Solid:

Shaky:

Non-restricted mons:
Solid:

Shaky:

Mega Rayquaza Checks:
Restricted mons:
Solid:

Shaky:

Non-restricted mons:
Solid:

Shaky:

Smeargle/Sleep Checks:
Taunt:

Double-Hit Moves:

Substitute/Lum Berry:

Safeguard/Crafty Shield:

Yveltal Checks:
Restricted mons:
Solid:

Shaky:

Non-restricted mons
Solid:

Shaky:

Speed control users:
Tailwind:

Paralysis:

Trick Room:

Misc: (Icy Wind)
(Rock Tomb)
(Quash)
(After You)

Non-essential Roles
These will be specific to your team (combos etc), and therefore these pokemon should not be necessary on every team.

Redirection users:
Solid:

Shaky:

Fake Out users:
Solid:

Shaky:

Feint Users:
Solid:

Shaky:

Quick Guard Users:
Solid:

Shaky:

Wide Guard Users:
Solid:

Shaky:

Intimidate Users:
Solid:

Shaky:

Weather Support:
Skill Swap:

Role Play/Worry Seed: (Shaky)

Gravity Abusers:
Spread Moves:

Dark Void/Hypnosis:

Gravity Setters:
Solid:

Shaky:

Hope this article helps you to have a more general idea of VGC '16 teambuilding if you're new to the meta, there's for sure some stuff that I've probably missed out so please feel free to comment for improvements :)

Last edited:

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
You could probably add a gravity and quick guard section in the nonessential roles. Wide Guard and Feint could also be added but their users aren't as good.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You should add Intimidate since there are solid users of it (Landorus-T, Mence, Mawile).

Wide Guard has Smeargle and Feint as Weavile as solid users and some other shaky ones.

Maybe there should be a section added for notable leads (e.g. intimidaters, tw/tr/grav setters, prankster users, etc.) Becuase of how important they are for the first turns of the match.

Maybe there should be a section added for notable leads (e.g. intimidaters, tw/tr/grav setters, prankster users, etc.) Becuase of how important they are for the first turns of the match.
Interesting point :)
Leads i think would be a huge section to cover, since there are many different aspects to leading, most of which are already covered in other sections of the post, but thanks for your contribution man :)

Under your speed control users I would put Cresselia under the Paralysis and Icy Wind categories since it is growing in popularity. Icy Wind appears to be more common. Thunder Wave is usually paired with Icy Wind Cresselia. I myself brought Icy Wind + Thunder Wave Cresselia to Madison Regionals and Icy Wind + Trick Room to Kansas City Regionals.

It can also go under your Smeargle/Sleep Checks in the Substitute/Lum Berry category as most Cresselia I see these days (and the two Cresselia I mentioned that I used above) have Lum Berry.

Icy Wind + Trick Room to Kansas City Regionals.

It can also go under your Smeargle/Sleep Checks in the Substitute/Lum Berry category as most Cresselia I see these days (and the two Cresselia I mentioned that I used above) have Lum Berry.
What year were you at KC regionals? I was there in 2015. :P
Cress has been immaculate at Icy Wind and T-Wave for a decade, I have to agree with adding it. Haven't ran T-Wave myself yet, but Icy Wind has been amazing. She's the floating queen of speed control, lol.

I was at KC regionals 2015 and 2016. KC Regionals 2015 was my very first tournament and I had no idea what I was doing, I went 4-4 and got 64th place. Some friends invited me to go along and I had a blast, haha.

The Icy Wind + TR Cresselia was for this year's KC Regionals. :)

Under your speed control users I would put Cresselia under the Paralysis and Icy Wind categories since it is growing in popularity. Icy Wind appears to be more common. Thunder Wave is usually paired with Icy Wind Cresselia. I myself brought Icy Wind + Thunder Wave Cresselia to Madison Regionals and Icy Wind + Trick Room to Kansas City Regionals.

Definitely :) I'll have time to edit my post tomorrow, thanks for the reply

I was at KC regionals 2015 and 2016. KC Regionals 2015 was my very first tournament and I had no idea what I was doing, I went 4-4 and got 64th place. Some friends invited me to go along and I had a blast, haha.

The Icy Wind + TR Cresselia was for this year's KC Regionals. :)
Ha, well, if you saw a big ginger guy with long hair, that was me. I didn't fight any TR+Icy Wind cress iirc, so we may not of fought. It was my first VGC as well :P
I flew in from out of state, went in with cannibal and had a blast. You might of been matched with her, lol.

Oh, and Ferrothorn can also reasonably abuse Thunder Wave. Bad synergy with Gyro Ball, obviously, but Twave + Iron Head with Adamant / Careful can actually abuse paraflinch. dunno if you wanna add it, but Ferro is a decent Twave user. Works a lot like Gyarados, except it dissaudes both Electric and Ground types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)