Monotype Venusaur (Grass)

[OVERVIEW]

Grass
========

Mega Venusaur is a staple of Grass teams because of its excellent typing, offenses, and movepool with superbly balanced stats. A Grass / Poison typing and Thick Fat grant Mega Venusaur valuable neutralities to Fire-, Ice-, Bug-, and Poison-type attacks. Between this defensive utility, Synthesis, and tremendous mixed defenses, Mega Venusaur serves as a formidable sponge for both physical and special attacks and a sturdy check for threats such as Nidoking and Mega Scizor. With great offensive stats, Mega Venusaur serves the defensive core without being passive enough to take advantage of. However, Mega Venusaur relies on Synthesis for reliable recovery, which has a mere 8 PP. Thus, Mega Venusaur is susceptible to being worn down by entry hazards and chip damage and cannot take repeated hits from potent wallbreakers such as Landorus and Mega Charizard Y. Furthermore, while Poison typing offers a valuable neutrality to Poison- and Bug-type moves, it also opens up a weakness to Psychic-type attacks and makes it difficult for Mega Venusaur to manage powerful Ground-type threats such as Diggersby and Excadrill.

[SET]
name: Defensive (Grass)
move 1: Sludge Bomb
move 2: Synthesis
move 3: Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Giga Drain / Leech Seed
item: Venusaurite
ability: Chlorophyll
nature: Bold
evs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Sludge Bomb is the main source of Mega Venusaur's offensive presence. Synthesis recovers health and is vital to keeping Mega Venusaur healthy throughout a match. Hidden Power Fire helps Mega Venusaur threaten Steel-type threats such as Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory. Giga Drain is a moderately strong Grass-type STAB attack that provides recovery on top of damage. It should be used liberally to heal off chip from tanking hits or switching in on entry hazards. Leech Seed is a good option over Giga Drain that offers a consistent source of recovery beside Synthesis for Mega Venusaur and the rest of Grass's defensive core while whittling down both offensive and defensive threats with chip damage, such as Heatran. Sleep Powder is an option for Mega Venusaur to check setup sweepers and disable both offensive and defensive threats to the team.

Set Details
========

248 HP EVs and 244 Defense EVs with a Bold nature maximize Mega Venusaur's physical bulk to make it as formidable a response as possible to threats such as Victini, avoiding a 2HKO from Choice Scarf V-create. 16 Speed EVs let Mega Venusaur outspeed maximum Speed Adamant Azumarill. Chlorophyll doubles Mega Venusaur's Speed in sun before Mega Evolving, which can have niche utility against threats such as Mega Charizard Y or Fire teams. An alternative mixed defensive spread featuring maximum HP EVs, 80 Special Defense EVs, and 160 Defense EVs with a Calm Nature can be used to allow Mega Venusaur to better manage special threats such as Nidoking and Greninja while still sporting enough physical bulk to handle Mega Scizor.

Usage Tips
========

Get Venusaur in safely to Mega Evolve as soon as possible to make immediate use of the improved bulk and Thick Fat. Make sure to preserve Mega Venusaur carefully in matchups where it is needed to check threats such as Mega Scizor. Sleep Powder, if used, should likewise be saved for dangerous threats to the team. Synthesis, while a source of reliable recovery, only has 8 PP and should only be used when absolutely necessary and not to stall out attacks, with the exception of V-create Victini. Likewise, let teammates manage threats whenever possible to preserve Mega Venusaur's limited recovery and minimize chip. However, Mega Venusaur can sponge Toxic and Toxic Spikes for the team and, since Mega Venusaur's Mega Stone cannot be removed, it is a good switch-in to Knock Off and Trick. Spam Giga Drain or Leech Seed liberally, as they provide sustained recovery to heal off chip damage without wasting Synthesis PP while whittling down the opposing team. Use Sludge Bomb to fish for the poison against Pokemon that wall Mega Venusaur, such as Zapdos and Mega Sableye.

Team Options
========

Ferrothorn helps support Mega Venusaur with its excellent Grass / Steel typing, which provides an immunity to Poison-type attacks and neutralities to Flying-, Bug-, and Ice-type attacks. It can also stack Spikes to wear down the opponent's team and synergizes well with Mega Venusaur's capacity to force switches. Cradily is a great specially defensive wall and Grass's premier sponge for Fire-type moves and Stealth Rock setter. Cradily is capable of checking special attackers that are threats to Mega Venusaur such as Quiver Dance Volcarona. Tapu Bulu is an amazing teammate for Mega Venusaur that acts as an excellent revenge killer with Choice Scarf while setting Grassy Terrain, which boosts Mega Venusaur's STAB Giga Drain. Grassy Terrain's passive recovery and Earthquake debuff also helps support Mega Venusaur defensively. Breloom is a strong physical attacker and cleaner for Grass teams that offers priority with Technician-boosted Mach Punch and valuable Spore utility. Breloom appreciates having Mega Venusaur to fall back on and wear down its checks, and it can check threats to Mega Venusaur such as Heatran and Diggersby in return. Celebi is a strong special attacker that offers valuable Psychic-type STAB to manage Poison-type threats such as Nidoking and Toxapex that Mega Venusaur struggles with while providing a resistance to Psychic-type moves to cover Mega Venusaur's weakness. Celebi's coverage in Earth Power and Hidden Power Fire helps in the Steel matchup. Rotom-C is a solid pivot and revenge killer for Grass teams that can serve as a soft check for threats such as Mega Charizard Y and Mega Pinsir when holding a Choice Scarf. Serperior is a fast special sweeper that can clean late-game with Contrary Leaf Storm and appreciates Mega Venusaur wearing down its checks. Gourgeist-XL is a decent teammate for Mega Venusaur that offers a secondary Bug- and Poison-type neutrality, a Fighting- and Normal-type immunity, Will-O-Wisp and spinblocking utility. Gourgeist-XL takes a lot of pressure off of Mega Venusaur to manage physical threats such as Swords Dance Excadrill and Mega Scizor. Whimsicott can support Mega Venusaur with speed control in Prankster Stun Spore and by disabling setup sweepers with Encore. Its Fairy-type STAB is particularly helpful against Dragon-types that threaten Mega Venusaur such as Dragonite, Kyurem-B, and Latios.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Grass
--------
The mixed defensive Mega Venusaur spread is flexible and can be fine-tuned to better manage specific threats for the team. A full specially defensive spread, 232 HP / 252 SpD / 20 Spe with a Calm nature, can also be run to specialize Mega Venusaur's bulk at the cost of broad effectiveness. A bulky offensive spread, 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe with a Modest nature, can be utilized to bolster Mega Venusaur's offensive presence. However, this spread has a much harder time managing multiple threats throughout a battle due to the lack of bulk investment. Earthquake is an option to help Mega Venusaur threaten Fire-, Poison-, and Steel-types such as Heatran, Nidoking, and Magnezone that it otherwise struggles to manage. Curse Mega Venusaur can act as a wincon against more passive teams, but it is unfortunately let down by Mega Venusaur's poor Attack and offensive coverage.
Checks and Counters
===================

Grass
--------
**Psychic-types**: Mega Alakazam, Alolan Raichu, and Latios heavily threaten Mega Venusaur with STAB Psychic-type attacks.

**Fire-types**: Despite Thick Fat, Fire-types such as Victini and Mega Charizard X put extreme pressure on Mega Venusaur with potent Fire-type STAB attacks, especially in sun. Heatran can be especially threatening if it gets a Flash Fire boost from Hidden Power Fire.

**Flying-types**: Mega Pinsir, Togekiss, and Crobat threaten Mega Venusaur with their STAB Flying-type attacks. However, even without those, Flying-types such as Zapdos are bulky enough to stall Mega Venusaur out.

**Wallbreakers**: Mega Venusaur has limited recovery and is not bulky enough to tank repeated hits from potent wallbreakers such as Kyurem-B, Diggersby, and Landorus.

**Setup Sweepers**: Mega Venusaur is prone to being rendered setup bait due to its mediocre offensive coverage and must be careful so that sweepers such as Landorus-T, Mewnium Z Mew, and Volcarona don't take advantage of it to set up and sweep the team.

**Stallbreakers**: Mega Venusaur struggles with stallbreaking methods, including Taunt and Magma Storm, and can be easily shut down by stallbreakers such as Mew, Gliscor, and Heatran.

Last edited:
I'll QC this in full later but a few quick preliminary comments:

I never liked the offensive set, and reading your analysis of it, I still don't see why I'd use it over the defensive set. I'd personally just axe it, but if you have some good replays / teams that use it, I'd like to see them.

The spread on the defensive set is one I made for beating rain Water with Poison. However, Grass has Ferrothorn in addition to Mega Venusaur, so it's almost impossible for rain to win anyway. I use a standard physically defensive spread because I like to take on Mega Scizor more reliably. Mega Venusaur's pretty much Grass's only way to take on Steel, so that's pretty important (also helps with random Fire-type attackers like Alolan Marowak and Victini). Are there any specially defensive threats you're looking to take on with a specially defensive spread?

Also, I'm very against not having Giga Drain as a must. That's how you lose to Ground for no good reason.

I'll QC this in full later but a few quick preliminary comments:

I never liked the offensive set, and reading your analysis of it, I still don't see why I'd use it over the defensive set. I'd personally just axe it, but if you have some good replays / teams that use it, I'd like to see them.

The spread on the defensive set is one I made for beating rain Water with Poison. However, Grass has Ferrothorn in addition to Mega Venusaur, so it's almost impossible for rain to win anyway. I use a standard physically defensive spread because I like to take on Mega Scizor more reliably. Mega Venusaur's pretty much Grass's only way to take on Steel, so that's pretty important (also helps with random Fire-type attackers like Alolan Marowak and Victini). Are there any specially defensive threats you're looking to take on with a specially defensive spread?

Also, I'm very against not having Giga Drain as a must. That's how you lose to Ground for no good reason.
I have implemented all three changes:
  • Removal of the Bulky Offensive set (though i'll include it in a spoiler tag below in case anyone wants to review it)
  • Placing Giga Drain in front of Leech Seed in the moveset.
  • Changed the main spread from (248 HP / 160 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe, Calm) to (248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe, Bold). The former spread is included in the Set Details as an alternative option.
[SET]
name: Offensive Tank (Grass)
move 2: Hidden Power [Fire]
move 3: Synthesis
move 4: Giga Drain / Earthquake
nature: Modest
evs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Sludge Bomb is a strong Poison-type STAB move and Mega Venusaur's most powerful attack.
* Hidden Power [Fire] is coverage move to help Mega Venusaur threaten Steel-types such as Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory.
* Synthesis recovers health and is vital to keeping Mega Venusaur healthy to tank hits and check threats throughout a match
* Giga Drain is a Grass-type STAB move that provides recovery on top of dealing damage.
* Earthquake is an option over Giga Drain to help Mega Venusaur manage Steel-, Poison-, and Fire-types such as Heatran, Magearna, and Nidoking.

Set Details
========

* Maximum Special Attack EVs with a Modest Nature lets Mega Venusaur hit as hard as possible.
* 240 HP EVs help Mega Venusaur tank attacks as well as possible.
* 16 Speed EVs lets Mega Venusaur outspeed maximum Speed Adamant Azumarill.
* Chlorophyll doubles Mega Venusaur's speed in sun before mega evolving which can have niche utility against threats such as Mega Charizard Y or Fire teams.
* Up to 44 Speed can be run to outspeed other Mega Venusaurs and various threats that often use Venusaur as a benchmark for speed creep, such as Magearna, Celesteela, and Magnezone.
* 80 Special Defense EVs can be run to bolster Mega Venusaur's bulk to avoid 2HKOs from threats such as Nidoking and Greninja.

Usage Tips
========

* Get Venusaur in and Mega Evolve as soon as possible to make immediate use of the improved bulk and Thick Fat.
* Preserve Mega Venusaur carefully in matchups where it is needed to check offensive threats such as Mega Scizor and Magearna.
* Use Sludge Bomb against Pokemon who wall Mega Venusaur to fish for the Poison chance.
* Use Giga Drain liberally to recover chip health lost from tanking hits or hazards.
* This set is a lot easier to wear down than the defensive spreads, so let teammates manage threats whenever possible and don't tank too many hits without being able to recover through Synthesis or Giga Drain.
* Mega Venusaur's Mega Stone cannot be removed, making it a good switch-in to Knock Off and Trick.
* Use Sludge Bomb to fish for the Poison chance against Pokemon who wall Mega Venusaur, such as Zapdos or Mega Sableye.
* Let Mega Venusaur sponge Knock Off, Toxic, and Toxic Spikes for the team.

Team Options
========

* Ferrothorn helps support Mega Venusaur with its excellent Grass / Steel typing providing an immunity to Poison-type attacks and neutralities to Flying-, Bug-, and Ice-type attacks. Ferrothorn's Spikes are invaluable and can be stacked to wear down switch-ins to Mega Venusaur.
* Cradily is a great specially defensive Fire sponge and a standard Stealth Rock setter. Cradily is capable of checking special attackers that are threats to Mega Venusaur such as Quiver Dance Volcarona.
* Tapu Bulu is an incredible teammate for Mega Venusaur that sets Grassy Terrain support that boosts Mega Venusaur's STAB Giga Drain while acting as a strong revenge killer on its own with Choice Scarf. Grassy Terrain's passive recovery and Earthquake debuff also helps support Mega Venusaur defensively.
* Breloom is a strong physical attacker and cleaner for Grass teams with Technician boosted Mach Punch, and offers valuable Spore utility. Breloom appreciates having Mega Venusaur to fall back on and wear down its checks.
* Celebi is a strong special attacker who offers valuable Psychic-type STAB to manage Poison threats such as Nidoking and Toxapex that Mega Venusaur struggles with while providing a resistance to Psychic-type moves to cover Mega Venusaur's weakness.
* Rotom-C is a solid pivot and revenge killer for Grass teams who can serve as a soft check for threats such as Mega Charizard Y and Mega Pinsir when scarved. Rotom-C can bring Mega Venusaur safely against threats with Volt Switch.
* Serperior is a fast special sweeper with Contrary Leaf Storm who appreciates Mega Venusaur wearing down its checks.
* Whimsicott can support Mega Venusaur with Prankster Stun Spore speed control and by disabling set up sweepers with Encore. Whimsicott's Fairy-type STAB is particularly helpful against Dragon-types such as Dragonite and Latios, who threaten Mega Venusaur.

Overview:
- I'd definitely mention the downsides to the Poison typing. It struggles to switch into wallbreakers' Ground-type attacks and it is weak to Psychic-type attacks as well.

Moves:
- One essential target for Leech Seed is Heatran. Using Hidden Power Fire + Leech Seed can be difficult for Steel to deal with. However, it should be noted that Taunt and Magma Storm Heatran will still easily dispatch of Mega Venusaur.
- Consider moving Sleep Powder here. I really like the utility for being able to cripple most of Mega Venusaur's checks that aren't Grass-type.

Set Details:
- I would definitely say that Mega Venusaur is almost never 2HKOed by Choice Scarf Victini's V-create specifically. That's one of the most important uses of maximum Defense.
- 44 Speed EVs looks arbitrary to me. 207 Speed doesn't really do anything I can think of. Either way, progressive Speed creep is not allowed in analyses, so remove it please.

Usage Tips:
- When talking about getting Mega Venusaur in early, you should caution against switching it into attacks. In particular, without Thick Fat, Fire- and Ice-types attacks are very threatening.
- One thing to note about Synthesis PP is that Mega Venusaur cannot stall out most attacks. However, in the specific case of Choice Scarf Victini's V-create, Mega Venusaur should happily use Synthesis while forcing it out or wasting V-create's precious PP.

Team Options:
- Do note that entry hazards have great synergy with Mega Venusaur's ability to force switches.
- I would give an example or two of what Breloom threats helps with. Pokemon like Heatran, Diggersby, etc.
- Celebi's ability to check Steel-types with its great movepool should be noted.

Other Options:
- Sleep Powder can go in Moves. I won't press it but I like it there more because it really is quite viable.
- 104 Speed is way too much. I disagree with it here.

Great job QC 1/3

Moves

* Leech Seed is a strong option over Giga Drain that offers a consistent source of recovery beside Syntehsis for Mega Venusaur and the rest of Grass's defensive core while whittling down both offensive and defensive threats with chip damage, such as Heatran.
- Stress the fact that it helps with Heatran a bit more, like Eien said, that's the main target.

Set Details

* 248 HP EVs and 244 Defense EVs with a Bold Nature maximize Mega Venusaur's physical bulk to make it as formidable a response to threats such as Victini, avoiding a 2HKO from V-create.
- That's only true for Choice Scarf variants, which have decreased greatly in viability and usage so specify that it only avoids the 2HKO from Choice Scarf Victini or use a different example altogether.

Usage Tips

* Don't switch Venusaur into attacks before Mega Evolving, and try and get Venusaur in safely to Mega Evolve as soon as possible to make immediate use of the improved bulk and Thick Fat.
- The first part is a bit unnecessary, Venusaur's bulk isn't too bad and can switch into most resisted hits. Clearly mention that Venusaur does not have Thick Fat and should never be switched in on Fire- or Ice-type moves before Mega Evolving.

QC 2/3

Moosical

big yikes
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Talked on discord, essentially changed other options to include the mixed defensive set, as the full physical defensive set is listed as the primary set and also in other options.

Otherwise, seems good. QC 3/3

This doesn't need 4 QC. Breloom was at 3/3 when we started write ups so we needed 1 more after seeing it written. That was an exceptional case.

Here 3/3 is enough because terrors checked after you wrote it up so go ahead and put it in GP

This doesn't need 4 QC. Breloom was at 3/3 when we started write ups so we needed 1 more after seeing it written. That was an exceptional case.

Here 3/3 is enough because terrors checked after you wrote it up so go ahead and put it in GP
Got it.

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
amcheck, you don't have to implement this and it doesn't count as an official GP check unless stamped by a GP member

ADD, (AC) = Add Comma, (AH) = Add Hyphen
REMOVE, (RC) = Remove Comma, (RH) = Remove Hyphen

(comments)

[OVERVIEW]

Grass
========

Mega Venusaur is a staple of Grass teams that backs up because of its excellent typing, offenses, and movepool with superbly balanced stats (it being a staple doesn't 'back up' its good qualities). A Grass / Poison typing and Thick Fat grant Mega Venusaur valuable neutralities to Fire-, Ice-, Bug-, and Poison-type attacks. Between this defensive utility, Synthesis, and tremendous mixed defenses, (AC) Mega Venusaur serves as a formidable sponge for both physical and special attacks and a sturdy check for threats such as Nidoking and Mega Scizor, (AC) which threaten Grass. With strong offensive stats, Mega Venusaur serves the defensive core without being passive enough to take advantage of. However, Mega Venusaur relies on Synthesis for reliable recovery, which has a mere 8 PP. As such, Mega Venusaur is susceptible to being worn down by entry hazards and chip damage and cannot take repeated hits from potent wallbreakers such as Landorus-Incarnate and Mega Charizard Y. And while Poison typing offers a valuable neutrality to Poison- and Bug-type moves, it also opens up a weakness to Psychic-type attacks and makes it difficult for Mega Venusaur to manage powerful Ground-type threats such as Diggersby and Excadrill.

[SET]
move 3: Hidden Power [Fire] Fire

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Sludge Bomb is a strong STAB Poison-type attack with a poison chance and is the main source of Mega Venusaur's offensive presence. Synthesis recovers health and is vital to keeping Mega Venusaur healthy throughout a match. Hidden Power [Fire] Fire is coverage to help Mega Venusaur threaten Steel-type threats such as Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory. Giga Drain is a moderately strong Grass-type STAB attack that provides recovery on top of damage. It should be used liberally to heal off chip from tanking hits or switching in on entry hazards. Leech Seed is a strong good ('strong' is a weird word choice when talking about a move that does no direct damage) option over Giga Drain that offers a consistent source of recovery beside Syntehsis Synthesis for Mega Venusaur and the rest of Grass's defensive core while whittling down both offensive and defensive threats with chip damage, such as Heatran. Sleep Powder is an option for Mega Venusaur to check set up setup sweepers and disable both offensive and defensive threats to the team.

Set Details
========

248 HP EVs and 244 Defense EVs with a Bold Nature maximize Mega Venusaur's physical bulk to make it as formidable a response to threats such as Victini, avoiding a 2HKO from Choice Scarf V-create. 16 Speed EVs lets Mega Venusaur outspeed maximum Speed Adamant Azumarill. Chlorophyll doubles Mega Venusaur's speed in sun before Mega Evolving, (AC) which can have niche utility against threats such as Mega Charizard Y or Fire teams. An alternative mixed defensive spread featuring Maximum maximum HP EVs, 80 Special Defense EVs, and 160 Defense EVS EVs with a Calm Nature can be used to allow Mega Venusaur to better manage special threats such as Nidoking and Greninja while still sporting enough physical bulk to handle Mega Scizor.

Usage Tips
========

Get Venusaur in safely to Mega Evolve as soon as possible to make immediate use of the improved bulk and Thick Fat. Make sure to preserve Mega Venusaur carefully in matchups where it is needed to check threats such as Mega Scizor. Synthesis, while a source of reliable recovery, only has 8 PP and should only be used when absolutely necessary. Do not use Synthesis to stall out attacks, with the exception of V-create Victini. Let teammates manage threats whenever possible, to preserve Mega Venusaur's limited recovery and minimize chip. Avoid tanking too many hits without being able to recover through Synthesis or Giga Drain. (this sentence basically says 'dont die'. is that necessary?) Spam Giga Drain liberally, as it provides sustained recovery to heal off chip damage without wasting Synthesis PP while whittling down the opponent foe. Use Sludge Bomb to fish for the poison chance against Pokemon who that wall Mega Venusaur, such as Zapdos or Mega Sableye. Let Mega Venusaur sponge Toxic and Toxic Spikes for the team. Also, since Mega Venusaur's Mega Stone cannot be removed, it is a good switch-in to Knock Off and Trick. If using Leech Seed, spam it liberally like Giga Drain for sustained recovery to heal off chip damage without wasting Synthesis PP, whittling down the opponent foe, and creating opportunities for teammates to switch in while recovering health. If using Sleep Powder, preserve it for use against dangerous threats to the team such as Mega Scizor or Heatran. (a lot of this just feels like bullet points; there are very few transitions used. try to add some)

Team Options
========

Ferrothorn helps support Mega Venusaur with its excellent Grass / Steel typing, (AC) which provides an immunity to Poison-type attacks and neutralities to Flying-, Bug-, and Ice-type attacks. Ferrothorn's Spikes can be stacked to wear down the opponent's team and synergize synergizes well with Mega Venusaur's capacity to force switches. Cradily is a great specially defensive wall and Grass's premiere premier Fire sponge for Fire-type moves and Stealth Rock setter. Cradily is capable of checking special attackers that are threats to Mega Venusaur such as Quiver Dance Volcarona. Tapu Bulu is an amazing teammate for Mega Venusaur that acts as an excellent revenge killer with Choice Scarf while setting Grassy Terrain, (AC) which support that boosts Mega Venusaur's STAB Giga Drain. Grassy Terrain's passive recovery and Earthquake debuff also helps support Mega Venusaur defensively. Breloom is a strong physical attacker and cleaner for Grass teams who that offers strong priority with Technician- (AH)boosted Mach Punch and valuable Spore utility. Breloom appreciates having Mega Venusaur to fall back on and wear down its checks, while checking threats to Mega Venusaur such as Heatran and Diggersby in return. Celebi is a strong special attacker who that offers valuable Psychic-type STAB to manage Poison-type threats (if you meant 'threats on Poison teams', change it to that) such as Nidoking and Toxapex that Mega Venusaur struggles with while providing a resistance to Psychic-type moves to cover Mega Venusaur's weaknesses weakness. Celebi's strong coverage in Earth Power and Hidden Power [Fire] help Fire helps in the Steel matchup. Rotom-C is a solid pivot and revenge killer for Grass teams who that can serve as a soft check for threats such as Mega Charizard Y and Mega Pinsir when scarved holding a Choice Scarf. Rotom-C can bring Mega Venusaur in safely against threats (unnecessary and only adds confusion, as it could be 'threats with Volt Switch) with Volt Switch. Serperior is a fast special sweeper who that can clean late-game with Contrary Leaf Storm and appreciates Mega Venusaur wearing down its checks. Gourgeist-XL is a decent teammate for Mega Venusaur that offers a secondary Bug- and Poison-type neutrality, a Fighting- and Normal-type immunity, and Will-O-Wisp, (AC) and spinblocking utility. Gourgeist-XL takes a lot of pressure off of Mega Venusaur to manage physical threats such as Swords Dance Excadrill and Mega Scizor. Whimsicott can support Mega Venusaur with speed control in Prankster Stun Spore speed control and by disabling set up setup sweepers with Encore. Whimsicott's Fairy-type STAB is particularly helpful against Dragon-types who that threaten Mega Venusaur such as Dragonite, Kyurem-B, and Latios. (again, try to add some transitions between the sentences)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Grass
--------
The mixed defensive Mega Venusaur spread is flexible, (RC) and can be fine-tuned to better manage specific threats for the team. A full specially defensive spread, (AC) (232 HP / 252 SpD / 20 Spe, (RC) with a Calm nature, (AC)) can also be ran to specialize Mega Venusaur's bulk at the cost of broad effectiveness. A bulky offensive spread, (AC) 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe with a Modest nature, (AC) can be utilized to bolster Mega Venusaur's offensive presence, (RC) (240 HP / 252 Spa / 16 Spe, Modest). However, this spread has a much harder time managing multiple threats throughout a battle without invested bulk due to the lack of bulk investment. Earthquake is an option to help Mega Venusaur threaten Fire-, Poison-, (AC) and Steel-types such as Magnezone, Nidoking, and Heatran that it otherwise struggles to manage. Curse Mega Venusaur can act as a win condition against more passive teams, but it is unfortunately let down by Mega Venusuar's Venusaur's poor Attack and offensive coverage.

Checks and Counters
===================

Grass
--------
**Psychic-types**: Mega Alakazam, Alola Alolan Raichu, and Latios heavily threaten Mega Venusaur with STAB Psychic-type attacks.

**Fire-types**: Despite Thick Fat, Fire-types such as Victini and Mega Charizard X put extreme pressure on Mega Venusaur with potent Fire-type STAB attacks, especially in sun. Heatran can be especially threatening if it catches gets a Flash Fire boost from Hidden Power [Fire] Fire.

**Flying-types**: Mega Pinsir, Togekiss, and Crobat threaten Mega Venusaur with their STAB Flying-type attacks. But even without STAB those, (I assume they do run their other STAB move. if not, simply add 'moves' in stead of following my suggestion) Flying-types such as Zapdos and Celesteela are bulky enough to stall Mega Venusaur out.

**Wallbreakers**: Mega Venusaur has limited recovery and is not bulky enough to tank repeated hits from potent wallbreakers such as Kyurem-B, Diggersby, or Landorus-I.

**Set up Setup Sweepers**: Mega Venusaur is prone to being set up setup bait with due to its mediocre offensive coverage and must be careful so that sweepers such as Landorus-T, Mewnium Z Mew, and Volcarona don't take advantage of it to set up and sweep the team.

**Stallbreakers**: Mega Venusaur struggles with stallbreaking methods, (AC) including Taunt and Magma Storm, (AC) and can be easily shut down by stallbreakers such as Mew, Gliscor, and Heatran

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

xayah: ADD, (AC) = Add Comma, (AH) = Add Hyphen REMOVE, (RC) = Remove Comma, (RH) = Remove Hyphen (comments)
tdp: add / fix remove (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)

not bad at all

GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Grass
========

Mega Venusaur is a staple of Grass teams that backs up because of its excellent typing, offenses, and movepool with superbly balanced stats (it being a staple doesn't 'back up' its good qualities). A Grass / Poison typing and Thick Fat grant Mega Venusaur valuable neutralities to Fire-, Ice-, Bug-, and Poison-type attacks. Between this defensive utility, Synthesis, and tremendous mixed defenses, (AC) Mega Venusaur serves as a formidable sponge for both physical and special attacks and a sturdy check for threats such as Nidoking and Mega Scizor, (AC) which threaten Grass. With strong great offensive stats, Mega Venusaur serves the defensive core without being passive enough to take advantage of. However, Mega Venusaur relies on Synthesis for reliable recovery, which has a mere 8 PP. As such, Thus, Mega Venusaur is susceptible to being worn down by entry hazards and chip damage and cannot take repeated hits from potent wallbreakers such as Landorus-Incarnate and Mega Charizard Y. And Furthermore, while Poison typing offers a valuable neutrality to Poison- and Bug-type moves, it also opens up a weakness to Psychic-type attacks and makes it difficult for Mega Venusaur to manage powerful Ground-type threats such as Diggersby and Excadrill.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Sludge Bomb is a strong STAB Poison-type attack with a poison chance and is the main source of Mega Venusaur's offensive presence. Synthesis recovers health and is vital to keeping Mega Venusaur healthy throughout a match. Hidden Power [Fire] Fire is coverage to help helps Mega Venusaur threaten Steel-type threats such as Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory. Giga Drain is a moderately strong Grass-type STAB attack that provides recovery on top of damage. It should be used liberally to heal off chip from tanking hits or switching in on entry hazards. Leech Seed is a strong good ('strong' is a weird word choice when talking about a move that does no direct damage) (nah it's fine, doesn't have to be used literally) option over Giga Drain that offers a consistent source of recovery beside Syntehsis Synthesis for Mega Venusaur and the rest of Grass's defensive core while whittling down both offensive and defensive threats with chip damage, such as Heatran. Sleep Powder is an option for Mega Venusaur to check set up setup sweepers and disable both offensive and defensive threats to the team.

Set Details
========

248 HP EVs and 244 Defense EVs with a Bold Nature nature maximize Mega Venusaur's physical bulk to make it as formidable a response as possible to threats such as Victini, avoiding a 2HKO from Choice Scarf V-create. 16 Speed EVs lets let Mega Venusaur outspeed maximum Speed Adamant Azumarill. Chlorophyll doubles Mega Venusaur's Speed in sun before Mega Evolving, (AC) which can have niche utility against threats such as Mega Charizard Y or Fire teams. An alternative mixed defensive spread featuring Maximum maximum HP EVs, 80 Special Defense EVs, and 160 Defense EVS EVs with a Calm Nature can be used to allow Mega Venusaur to better manage special threats such as Nidoking and Greninja while still sporting enough physical bulk to handle Mega Scizor.

Usage Tips
========

Get Venusaur in safely to Mega Evolve as soon as possible to make immediate use of the improved bulk and Thick Fat. Make sure to preserve Mega Venusaur carefully in matchups where it is needed to check threats such as Mega Scizor. Synthesis, while a source of reliable recovery, only has 8 PP and should only be used when absolutely necessary. Do not use Synthesis to stall out attacks, with the exception of V-create Victini. Let teammates manage threats whenever possible, to preserve Mega Venusaur's limited recovery and minimize chip. Avoid tanking too many hits without being able to recover through Synthesis or Giga Drain. (this sentence basically says 'dont die'. is that necessary?) (eh i feel it's closer to "if you are gonna tank a hit make sure you can recover afterwards") Spam Giga Drain liberally, as it provides sustained recovery to heal off chip damage without wasting Synthesis PP while whittling down the opponent foe. (opponent is better than foe here, should be "opposing team" though) Use Sludge Bomb to fish for the poison chance against Pokemon who that wall Mega Venusaur, such as Zapdos or and Mega Sableye. Let Mega Venusaur sponge Toxic and Toxic Spikes for the team. Also, since Mega Venusaur's Mega Stone cannot be removed, it is a good switch-in to Knock Off and Trick. If using Leech Seed, spam it liberally like Giga Drain for sustained recovery to heal off chip damage without wasting Synthesis PP, whittling down the opponent foe, (same) and creating opportunities for teammates to switch in while recovering health. If using Sleep Powder, preserve it for use against dangerous threats to the team such as Mega Scizor or Heatran. (a lot of this just feels like bullet points; there are very few transitions used. try to add some) (yes)

Team Options
========

Ferrothorn helps support Mega Venusaur with its excellent Grass / Steel typing, (AC) which provides an immunity to Poison-type attacks and neutralities to Flying-, Bug-, and Ice-type attacks. Ferrothorn's Spikes can be stacked It can also stack Spikes to wear down the opponent's team and synergize synergizes well with Mega Venusaur's capacity to force switches. Cradily is a great specially defensive wall and Grass's premiere premier Fire sponge for Fire-type moves and Stealth Rock setter. Cradily is capable of checking special attackers that are threats to Mega Venusaur such as Quiver Dance Volcarona. Tapu Bulu is an amazing teammate for Mega Venusaur that acts as an excellent revenge killer with Choice Scarf while setting Grassy Terrain, (AC) which support that boosts Mega Venusaur's STAB Giga Drain. Grassy Terrain's passive recovery and Earthquake debuff also helps support Mega Venusaur defensively. Breloom is a strong physical attacker and cleaner for Grass teams who that offers strong priority with Technician- (AH)boosted Mach Punch and valuable Spore utility. Breloom appreciates having Mega Venusaur to fall back on and wear down its checks, while checking and it can check threats to Mega Venusaur such as Heatran and Diggersby in return. Celebi is a strong special attacker who that offers valuable Psychic-type STAB to manage Poison-type threats (if you meant 'threats on Poison teams', change it to that) (nah "Poison threats" is fine in that case, types count as archetypes) such as Nidoking and Toxapex that Mega Venusaur struggles with while providing a resistance to Psychic-type moves to cover Mega Venusaur's weaknesses weakness. Celebi's strong coverage in Earth Power and Hidden Power [Fire] help Fire helps in the Steel matchup. Rotom-C is a solid pivot and revenge killer for Grass teams who that can serve as a soft check for threats such as Mega Charizard Y and Mega Pinsir when scarved holding a Choice Scarf. Rotom-C can bring Mega Venusaur in safely against threats (unnecessary and only adds confusion, as it could be 'threats with Volt Switch) with Volt Switch. Serperior is a fast special sweeper who that can clean late-game with Contrary Leaf Storm and appreciates Mega Venusaur wearing down its checks. Gourgeist-XL is a decent teammate for Mega Venusaur that offers a secondary Bug- and Poison-type neutrality, a Fighting- and Normal-type immunity, and Will-O-Wisp, (AC) (optional, and I kinda like the initial version better for maintaining the <adjective> <noun> structure) and spinblocking utility. Gourgeist-XL takes a lot of pressure off of Mega Venusaur to manage physical threats such as Swords Dance Excadrill and Mega Scizor. Whimsicott can support Mega Venusaur with speed control in Prankster Stun Spore speed control and by disabling set up setup sweepers with Encore. Whimsicott's Its Fairy-type STAB is particularly helpful against Dragon-types who that threaten Mega Venusaur such as Dragonite, Kyurem-B, and Latios. (again, try to add some transitions between the sentences)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Grass
--------
The mixed defensive Mega Venusaur spread is flexible, (RC) and can be fine-tuned to better manage specific threats for the team. A full specially defensive spread, (AC) (232 HP / 252 SpD / 20 Spe, (RC) with a Calm nature, (AC)) can also be ran run to specialize Mega Venusaur's bulk at the cost of broad effectiveness. A bulky offensive spread, (AC) 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe with a Modest nature, (AC) can be utilized to bolster Mega Venusaur's offensive presence, (RC) (240 HP / 252 Spa / 16 Spe, Modest). However, this spread has a much harder time managing multiple threats throughout a battle without invested bulk due to the lack of bulk investment. Earthquake is an option to help Mega Venusaur threaten Fire-, Poison-, (AC) and Steel-types such as Magnezone Heatran, Nidoking, and Heatran Magnezone that it otherwise struggles to manage. Curse Mega Venusaur can act as a win condition wincon against more passive teams, but it is unfortunately let down by Mega Venusuar's Venusaur's poor Attack and offensive coverage.

Checks and Counters
===================

Grass
--------
**Psychic-types**: Mega Alakazam, Alola Alolan Raichu, and Latios heavily threaten Mega Venusaur with STAB Psychic-type attacks.

**Fire-types**: Despite Thick Fat, Fire-types such as Victini and Mega Charizard X put extreme pressure on Mega Venusaur with potent Fire-type STAB attacks, especially in sun. Heatran can be especially threatening if it catches gets a Flash Fire boost from Hidden Power [Fire] Fire.

**Flying-types**: Mega Pinsir, Togekiss, and Crobat threaten Mega Venusaur with their STAB Flying-type attacks. But even without STAB those, (I assume they do run their other STAB move. if not, simply add 'moves' in stead of following my suggestion) Flying-types such as Zapdos and Celesteela are bulky enough to stall Mega Venusaur out.

**Wallbreakers**: Mega Venusaur has limited recovery and is not bulky enough to tank repeated hits from potent wallbreakers such as Kyurem-B, Diggersby, or and Landorus-I.

**Set up Setup Sweepers**: Mega Venusaur is prone to being rendered set up setup bait with due to its mediocre offensive coverage and must be careful so that sweepers such as Landorus-T, Mewnium Z Mew, and Volcarona don't take advantage of it to set up and sweep the team.

**Stallbreakers**: Mega Venusaur struggles with stallbreaking methods, (AC) including Taunt and Magma Storm, (AC) and can be easily shut down by stallbreakers such as Mew, Gliscor, and Heatran. (AP)

Last edited:

xayah: ADD, (AC) = Add Comma, (AH) = Add Hyphen REMOVE, (RC) = Remove Comma, (RH) = Remove Hyphen (comments)
tdp: add / fix remove (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)

not bad at all

GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Grass
========

Mega Venusaur is a staple of Grass teams that backs up because of its excellent typing, offenses, and movepool with superbly balanced stats (it being a staple doesn't 'back up' its good qualities). A Grass / Poison typing and Thick Fat grant Mega Venusaur valuable neutralities to Fire-, Ice-, Bug-, and Poison-type attacks. Between this defensive utility, Synthesis, and tremendous mixed defenses, (AC) Mega Venusaur serves as a formidable sponge for both physical and special attacks and a sturdy check for threats such as Nidoking and Mega Scizor, (AC) which threaten Grass. With strong great offensive stats, Mega Venusaur serves the defensive core without being passive enough to take advantage of. However, Mega Venusaur relies on Synthesis for reliable recovery, which has a mere 8 PP. As such, Thus, Mega Venusaur is susceptible to being worn down by entry hazards and chip damage and cannot take repeated hits from potent wallbreakers such as Landorus-Incarnate and Mega Charizard Y. And Furthermore, while Poison typing offers a valuable neutrality to Poison- and Bug-type moves, it also opens up a weakness to Psychic-type attacks and makes it difficult for Mega Venusaur to manage powerful Ground-type threats such as Diggersby and Excadrill.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Sludge Bomb is a strong STAB Poison-type attack with a poison chance and is the main source of Mega Venusaur's offensive presence. Synthesis recovers health and is vital to keeping Mega Venusaur healthy throughout a match. Hidden Power [Fire] Fire is coverage to help helps Mega Venusaur threaten Steel-type threats such as Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory. Giga Drain is a moderately strong Grass-type STAB attack that provides recovery on top of damage. It should be used liberally to heal off chip from tanking hits or switching in on entry hazards. Leech Seed is a strong good ('strong' is a weird word choice when talking about a move that does no direct damage) (nah it's fine, doesn't have to be used literally) option over Giga Drain that offers a consistent source of recovery beside Syntehsis Synthesis for Mega Venusaur and the rest of Grass's defensive core while whittling down both offensive and defensive threats with chip damage, such as Heatran. Sleep Powder is an option for Mega Venusaur to check set up setup sweepers and disable both offensive and defensive threats to the team.

Set Details
========

248 HP EVs and 244 Defense EVs with a Bold Nature nature maximize Mega Venusaur's physical bulk to make it as formidable a response as possible to threats such as Victini, avoiding a 2HKO from Choice Scarf V-create. 16 Speed EVs lets let Mega Venusaur outspeed maximum Speed Adamant Azumarill. Chlorophyll doubles Mega Venusaur's Speed in sun before Mega Evolving, (AC) which can have niche utility against threats such as Mega Charizard Y or Fire teams. An alternative mixed defensive spread featuring Maximum maximum HP EVs, 80 Special Defense EVs, and 160 Defense EVS EVs with a Calm Nature can be used to allow Mega Venusaur to better manage special threats such as Nidoking and Greninja while still sporting enough physical bulk to handle Mega Scizor.

Usage Tips
========

Get Venusaur in safely to Mega Evolve as soon as possible to make immediate use of the improved bulk and Thick Fat. Make sure to preserve Mega Venusaur carefully in matchups where it is needed to check threats such as Mega Scizor. Synthesis, while a source of reliable recovery, only has 8 PP and should only be used when absolutely necessary. Do not use Synthesis to stall out attacks, with the exception of V-create Victini. Let teammates manage threats whenever possible, to preserve Mega Venusaur's limited recovery and minimize chip. Avoid tanking too many hits without being able to recover through Synthesis or Giga Drain. (this sentence basically says 'dont die'. is that necessary?) (eh i feel it's closer to "if you are gonna tank a hit make sure you can recover afterwards") Spam Giga Drain liberally, as it provides sustained recovery to heal off chip damage without wasting Synthesis PP while whittling down the opponent foe. (opponent is better than foe here, should be "opposing team" though) Use Sludge Bomb to fish for the poison chance against Pokemon who that wall Mega Venusaur, such as Zapdos or and Mega Sableye. Let Mega Venusaur sponge Toxic and Toxic Spikes for the team. Also, since Mega Venusaur's Mega Stone cannot be removed, it is a good switch-in to Knock Off and Trick. If using Leech Seed, spam it liberally like Giga Drain for sustained recovery to heal off chip damage without wasting Synthesis PP, whittling down the opponent foe, (same) and creating opportunities for teammates to switch in while recovering health. If using Sleep Powder, preserve it for use against dangerous threats to the team such as Mega Scizor or Heatran. (a lot of this just feels like bullet points; there are very few transitions used. try to add some) (yes)

Team Options
========

Ferrothorn helps support Mega Venusaur with its excellent Grass / Steel typing, (AC) which provides an immunity to Poison-type attacks and neutralities to Flying-, Bug-, and Ice-type attacks. Ferrothorn's Spikes can be stacked It can also stack Spikes to wear down the opponent's team and synergize synergizes well with Mega Venusaur's capacity to force switches. Cradily is a great specially defensive wall and Grass's premiere premier Fire sponge for Fire-type moves and Stealth Rock setter. Cradily is capable of checking special attackers that are threats to Mega Venusaur such as Quiver Dance Volcarona. Tapu Bulu is an amazing teammate for Mega Venusaur that acts as an excellent revenge killer with Choice Scarf while setting Grassy Terrain, (AC) which support that boosts Mega Venusaur's STAB Giga Drain. Grassy Terrain's passive recovery and Earthquake debuff also helps support Mega Venusaur defensively. Breloom is a strong physical attacker and cleaner for Grass teams who that offers strong priority with Technician- (AH)boosted Mach Punch and valuable Spore utility. Breloom appreciates having Mega Venusaur to fall back on and wear down its checks, while checking and it can check threats to Mega Venusaur such as Heatran and Diggersby in return. Celebi is a strong special attacker who that offers valuable Psychic-type STAB to manage Poison-type threats (if you meant 'threats on Poison teams', change it to that) (nah "Poison threats" is fine in that case, types count as archetypes) such as Nidoking and Toxapex that Mega Venusaur struggles with while providing a resistance to Psychic-type moves to cover Mega Venusaur's weaknesses weakness. Celebi's strong coverage in Earth Power and Hidden Power [Fire] help Fire helps in the Steel matchup. Rotom-C is a solid pivot and revenge killer for Grass teams who that can serve as a soft check for threats such as Mega Charizard Y and Mega Pinsir when scarved holding a Choice Scarf. Rotom-C can bring Mega Venusaur in safely against threats (unnecessary and only adds confusion, as it could be 'threats with Volt Switch) with Volt Switch. Serperior is a fast special sweeper who that can clean late-game with Contrary Leaf Storm and appreciates Mega Venusaur wearing down its checks. Gourgeist-XL is a decent teammate for Mega Venusaur that offers a secondary Bug- and Poison-type neutrality, a Fighting- and Normal-type immunity, and Will-O-Wisp, (AC) (optional, and I kinda like the initial version better for maintaining the <adjective> <noun> structure) and spinblocking utility. Gourgeist-XL takes a lot of pressure off of Mega Venusaur to manage physical threats such as Swords Dance Excadrill and Mega Scizor. Whimsicott can support Mega Venusaur with speed control in Prankster Stun Spore speed control and by disabling set up setup sweepers with Encore. Whimsicott's Its Fairy-type STAB is particularly helpful against Dragon-types who that threaten Mega Venusaur such as Dragonite, Kyurem-B, and Latios. (again, try to add some transitions between the sentences)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Grass
--------
The mixed defensive Mega Venusaur spread is flexible, (RC) and can be fine-tuned to better manage specific threats for the team. A full specially defensive spread, (AC) (232 HP / 252 SpD / 20 Spe, (RC) with a Calm nature, (AC)) can also be ran run to specialize Mega Venusaur's bulk at the cost of broad effectiveness. A bulky offensive spread, (AC) 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe with a Modest nature, (AC) can be utilized to bolster Mega Venusaur's offensive presence, (RC) (240 HP / 252 Spa / 16 Spe, Modest). However, this spread has a much harder time managing multiple threats throughout a battle without invested bulk due to the lack of bulk investment. Earthquake is an option to help Mega Venusaur threaten Fire-, Poison-, (AC) and Steel-types such as Magnezone Heatran, Nidoking, and Heatran Magnezone that it otherwise struggles to manage. Curse Mega Venusaur can act as a win condition wincon against more passive teams, but it is unfortunately let down by Mega Venusuar's Venusaur's poor Attack and offensive coverage.

Checks and Counters
===================

Grass
--------

**Wallbreakers**: Mega Venusaur has limited recovery and is not bulky enough to tank repeated hits from potent wallbreakers such as Kyurem-B, Diggersby, or and Landorus-I.

**Set up Setup Sweepers**: Mega Venusaur is prone to being rendered set up setup bait with due to its mediocre offensive coverage and must be careful so that sweepers such as Landorus-T, Mewnium Z Mew, and Volcarona don't take advantage of it to set up and sweep the team.

**Stallbreakers**: Mega Venusaur struggles with stallbreaking methods, (AC) including Taunt and Magma Storm, (AC) and can be easily shut down by stallbreakers such as Mew, Gliscor, and Heatran. (AP)
Implemented, GP: 1/2

add
remove
(comment)
rc = remove comma

[OVERVIEW]

Grass
========

Mega Venusaur is a staple of Grass teams because of its excellent typing, offenses, and movepool with superbly balanced stats. A Grass / Poison typing and Thick Fat grant Mega Venusaur valuable neutralities to Fire-, Ice-, Bug-, and Poison-type attacks. Between this defensive utility, Synthesis, and tremendous mixed defenses, Mega Venusaur serves as a formidable sponge for both physical and special attacks and a sturdy check for threats such as Nidoking and Mega Scizor, which threaten Grass (You said they're threats, so it's clear they threaten Grass). With great offensive stats, Mega Venusaur serves the defensive core without being passive enough to take advantage of. However, Mega Venusaur relies on Synthesis for reliable recovery, which has a mere 8 PP. Thus, Mega Venusaur is susceptible to being worn down by entry hazards and chip damage and cannot take repeated hits from potent wallbreakers such as Landorus and Mega Charizard Y. Furthermore, while Poison typing offers a valuable neutrality to Poison- and Bug-type moves, it also opens up a weakness to Psychic-type attacks and makes it difficult for Mega Venusaur to manage powerful Ground-type threats such as Diggersby and Excadrill.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Sludge Bomb is the main source of Mega Venusaur's offensive presence. Synthesis recovers health and is vital to keeping Mega Venusaur healthy throughout a match. Hidden Power Fire helps Mega Venusaur threaten Steel-type threats such as Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory. Giga Drain is a moderately strong Grass-type STAB attack that provides recovery on top of damage. It should be used liberally to heal off chip from tanking hits or switching in on entry hazards. Leech Seed is a good option over Giga Drain that offers a consistent source of recovery beside Synthesis for Mega Venusaur and the rest of Grass's defensive core while whittling down both offensive and defensive threats with chip damage, such as Heatran. Sleep Powder is an option for Mega Venusaur to check setup sweepers and disable both offensive and defensive threats to the team.

Set Details
========

248 HP EVs and 244 Defense EVs with a Bold nature maximize Mega Venusaur's physical bulk to make it as formidable a response as possible to threats such as Victini, avoiding a 2HKO from Choice Scarf V-create. 16 Speed EVs let Mega Venusaur outspeed maximum Speed Adamant Azumarill. Chlorophyll doubles Mega Venusaur's Speed in sun before Mega Evolving, which can have niche utility against threats such as Mega Charizard Y or Fire teams. An alternative mixed defensive spread featuring maximum HP EVs, 80 Special Defense EVs, and 160 Defense EVs with a Calm Nature can be used to allow Mega Venusaur to better manage special threats such as Nidoking and Greninja while still sporting enough physical bulk to handle Mega Scizor.

Usage Tips
========

Get Venusaur in safely to Mega Evolve as soon as possible to make immediate use of the improved bulk and Thick Fat. Make sure to preserve Mega Venusaur carefully in matchups where it is needed to check threats such as Mega Scizor. Sleep Powder, if used, should likewise be saved for dangerous threats to the team. Synthesis, while a source of reliable recovery, only has 8 PP and should only be used when absolutely necessary and not to stall out attacks, with the exception of V-create Victini. Likewise, let teammates manage threats whenever possible, (RC) to preserve Mega Venusaur's limited recovery and minimize chip. However, Mega Venusaur can sponge Toxic and Toxic Spikes for the team and, since Mega Venusaur's Mega Stone cannot be removed, it is a good switch-in to Knock Off and Trick. Spam Giga Drain or Leech Seed liberally, as they provide sustained recovery to heal off chip damage without wasting Synthesis PP while whittling down the opposing team. Use Sludge Bomb to fish for the poison against Pokemon that wall Mega Venusaur, such as Zapdos and Mega Sableye.

Team Options
========

Ferrothorn helps support Mega Venusaur with its excellent Grass / Steel typing, which provides an immunity to Poison-type attacks and neutralities to Flying-, Bug-, and Ice-type attacks. It can also stack Spikes to wear down the opponent's team and synergizes well with Mega Venusaur's capacity to force switches. Cradily is a great specially defensive wall and Grass's premier sponge for Fire-type moves and Stealth Rock setter. Cradily is capable of checking special attackers that are threats to Mega Venusaur such as Quiver Dance Volcarona. Tapu Bulu is an amazing teammate for Mega Venusaur that acts as an excellent revenge killer with Choice Scarf while setting Grassy Terrain, which boosts Mega Venusaur's STAB Giga Drain. Grassy Terrain's passive recovery and Earthquake debuff also helps support Mega Venusaur defensively. Breloom is a strong physical attacker and cleaner for Grass teams that offers strong priority with Technician-boosted Mach Punch and valuable Spore utility. Breloom appreciates having Mega Venusaur to fall back on and wear down its checks, and it can check threats to Mega Venusaur such as Heatran and Diggersby in return. Celebi is a strong special attacker that offers valuable Psychic-type STAB to manage Poison-type threats such as Nidoking and Toxapex that Mega Venusaur struggles with while providing a resistance to Psychic-type moves to cover Mega Venusaur's weakness. Celebi's strong (It's not strong.) coverage in Earth Power and Hidden Power Fire helps in the Steel matchup. Rotom-C is a solid pivot and revenge killer for Grass teams that can serve as a soft check for threats such as Mega Charizard Y and Mega Pinsir when holding a Choice Scarf. Serperior is a fast special sweeper that can clean late-game with Contrary Leaf Storm and appreciates Mega Venusaur wearing down its checks. Gourgeist-XL is a decent teammate for Mega Venusaur that offers a secondary Bug- and Poison-type neutrality, a Fighting- and Normal-type immunity, Will-O-Wisp and spinblocking utility. Gourgeist-XL takes a lot of pressure off of Mega Venusaur to manage physical threats such as Swords Dance Excadrill and Mega Scizor. Whimsicott can support Mega Venusaur with speed control in Prankster Stun Spore and by disabling setup sweepers with Encore. Its Fairy-type STAB is particularly helpful against Dragon-types that threaten Mega Venusaur such as Dragonite, Kyurem-B, and Latios.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Grass
--------

The mixed defensive Mega Venusaur spread is flexible and can be fine-tuned to better manage specific threats for the team. A full specially defensive spread, 232 HP / 252 SpD / 20 Spe with a Calm nature, can also be run to specialize Mega Venusaur's bulk at the cost of broad effectiveness. A bulky offensive spread, 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe with a Modest nature, can be utilized to bolster Mega Venusaur's offensive presence. However, this spread has a much harder time managing multiple threats throughout a battle due to the lack of bulk investment. Earthquake is an option to help Mega Venusaur threaten Fire-, Poison-, and Steel-types such as Heatran, Nidoking, and Magnezone that it otherwise struggles to manage. Curse Mega Venusaur can act as a (There are two spaces here) wincon against more passive teams, but it is unfortunately let down by Mega Venusaur's poor Attack and offensive coverage.

Checks and Counters
===================

Grass
--------
**Psychic-types**: Mega Alakazam, Alolan Raichu, and Latios heavily threaten Mega Venusaur with STAB Psychic-type attacks.

**Fire-types**: Despite Thick Fat, Fire-types such as Victini and Mega Charizard X put extreme pressure on Mega Venusaur with potent Fire-type STAB attacks, especially in sun. Heatran can be especially threatening if it catches gets a Flash Fire boost from Hidden Power Fire.

**Flying-types**: Mega Pinsir, Togekiss, and Crobat threaten Mega Venusaur with their STAB Flying-type attacks. But However, even without those, Flying-types such as Zapdos and Celesteela (How does Celesteela stall Mega Venusaur?) are bulky enough to stall Mega Venusaur out.

**Setup Sweepers**: Mega Venusaur is prone to being rendered setup bait due to its mediocre offensive coverage and must be careful so that sweepers such as Landorus-T, Mewnium Z Mew, and Volcarona don't take advantage of it to set up and sweep the team.

**Stallbreakers**: Mega Venusaur struggles with stallbreaking methods, including Taunt and Magma Storm, and can be easily shut down by stallbreakers such as Mew, Gliscor, and Heatran.

Last edited:
add
remove
(comment)
rc = remove comma

[OVERVIEW]

Grass
========

Mega Venusaur is a staple of Grass teams because of its excellent typing, offenses, and movepool with superbly balanced stats. A Grass / Poison typing and Thick Fat grant Mega Venusaur valuable neutralities to Fire-, Ice-, Bug-, and Poison-type attacks. Between this defensive utility, Synthesis, and tremendous mixed defenses, Mega Venusaur serves as a formidable sponge for both physical and special attacks and a sturdy check for threats such as Nidoking and Mega Scizor, which threaten Grass (You said they're threats, so it's clear they threaten Grass). With great offensive stats, Mega Venusaur serves the defensive core without being passive enough to take advantage of. However, Mega Venusaur relies on Synthesis for reliable recovery, which has a mere 8 PP. Thus, Mega Venusaur is susceptible to being worn down by entry hazards and chip damage and cannot take repeated hits from potent wallbreakers such as Landorus and Mega Charizard Y. Furthermore, while Poison typing offers a valuable neutrality to Poison- and Bug-type moves, it also opens up a weakness to Psychic-type attacks and makes it difficult for Mega Venusaur to manage powerful Ground-type threats such as Diggersby and Excadrill.
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Get Venusaur in safely to Mega Evolve as soon as possible to make immediate use of the improved bulk and Thick Fat. Make sure to preserve Mega Venusaur carefully in matchups where it is needed to check threats such as Mega Scizor. Sleep Powder, if used, should likewise be saved for dangerous threats to the team. Synthesis, while a source of reliable recovery, only has 8 PP and should only be used when absolutely necessary and not to stall out attacks, with the exception of V-create Victini. Likewise, let teammates manage threats whenever possible, (RC) to preserve Mega Venusaur's limited recovery and minimize chip. However, Mega Venusaur can sponge Toxic and Toxic Spikes for the team and, since Mega Venusaur's Mega Stone cannot be removed, it is a good switch-in to Knock Off and Trick. Spam Giga Drain or Leech Seed liberally, as they provide sustained recovery to heal off chip damage without wasting Synthesis PP while whittling down the opposing team. Use Sludge Bomb to fish for the poison against Pokemon that wall Mega Venusaur, such as Zapdos and Mega Sableye.
Team Options
========

Ferrothorn helps support Mega Venusaur with its excellent Grass / Steel typing, which provides an immunity to Poison-type attacks and neutralities to Flying-, Bug-, and Ice-type attacks. It can also stack Spikes to wear down the opponent's team and synergizes well with Mega Venusaur's capacity to force switches. Cradily is a great specially defensive wall and Grass's premier sponge for Fire-type moves and Stealth Rock setter. Cradily is capable of checking special attackers that are threats to Mega Venusaur such as Quiver Dance Volcarona. Tapu Bulu is an amazing teammate for Mega Venusaur that acts as an excellent revenge killer with Choice Scarf while setting Grassy Terrain, which boosts Mega Venusaur's STAB Giga Drain. Grassy Terrain's passive recovery and Earthquake debuff also helps support Mega Venusaur defensively. Breloom is a strong physical attacker and cleaner for Grass teams that offers strong priority with Technician-boosted Mach Punch and valuable Spore utility. Breloom appreciates having Mega Venusaur to fall back on and wear down its checks, and it can check threats to Mega Venusaur such as Heatran and Diggersby in return. Celebi is a strong special attacker that offers valuable Psychic-type STAB to manage Poison-type threats such as Nidoking and Toxapex that Mega Venusaur struggles with while providing a resistance to Psychic-type moves to cover Mega Venusaur's weakness. Celebi's strong (It's not strong.) coverage in Earth Power and Hidden Power Fire helps in the Steel matchup. Rotom-C is a solid pivot and revenge killer for Grass teams that can serve as a soft check for threats such as Mega Charizard Y and Mega Pinsir when holding a Choice Scarf. Serperior is a fast special sweeper that can clean late-game with Contrary Leaf Storm and appreciates Mega Venusaur wearing down its checks. Gourgeist-XL is a decent teammate for Mega Venusaur that offers a secondary Bug- and Poison-type neutrality, a Fighting- and Normal-type immunity, Will-O-Wisp and spinblocking utility. Gourgeist-XL takes a lot of pressure off of Mega Venusaur to manage physical threats such as Swords Dance Excadrill and Mega Scizor. Whimsicott can support Mega Venusaur with speed control in Prankster Stun Spore and by disabling setup sweepers with Encore. Its Fairy-type STAB is particularly helpful against Dragon-types that threaten Mega Venusaur such as Dragonite, Kyurem-B, and Latios.
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Grass
--------

The mixed defensive Mega Venusaur spread is flexible and can be fine-tuned to better manage specific threats for the team. A full specially defensive spread, 232 HP / 252 SpD / 20 Spe with a Calm nature, can also be run to specialize Mega Venusaur's bulk at the cost of broad effectiveness. A bulky offensive spread, 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe with a Modest nature, can be utilized to bolster Mega Venusaur's offensive presence. However, this spread has a much harder time managing multiple threats throughout a battle due to the lack of bulk investment. Earthquake is an option to help Mega Venusaur threaten Fire-, Poison-, and Steel-types such as Heatran, Nidoking, and Magnezone that it otherwise struggles to manage. Curse Mega Venusaur can act as a (There are two spaces here) wincon against more passive teams, but it is unfortunately let down by Mega Venusaur's poor Attack and offensive coverage.
Checks and Counters
===================

Grass
--------

**Fire-types**: Despite Thick Fat, Fire-types such as Victini and Mega Charizard X put extreme pressure on Mega Venusaur with potent Fire-type STAB attacks, especially in sun. Heatran can be especially threatening if it catches gets a Flash Fire boost from Hidden Power Fire.

**Flying-types**: Mega Pinsir, Togekiss, and Crobat threaten Mega Venusaur with their STAB Flying-type attacks. But However, even without those, Flying-types such as Zapdos and Celesteela (How does Celesteela stall Mega Venusaur?) are bulky enough to stall Mega Venusaur out.

Thank you. Implemented final GP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)